• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Kyoufu

donny2112 said:
Numbers > Star Trek gifs (no matter how good they are :p )

Not when every month Wii/DS dominate, it gets boring. I come for the numbers but I stay for the star trek gifs!

My Hardware Predictions said:
[360] 250K
[NDS] 575K
[PS2] 150K
[PS3] 175K
[PSP] 225K
[WII] 500K

vs.

Real Hardware
DS 608k
Wii 555k
Playstation 3 225k
PSP 222k
Xbox 360 205k
Playstation 2 155k

I guess I wasn't that off :lol

donny2112

Kyoufu said:
Not when every month Wii/DS dominate, it gets boring. I come for the numbers but I stay for the star trek gifs!

There seems to be a disconnect here.

When I say "numbers," I mean all the numbers, not just what we get now.

hrxwub.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm mostly amazed that GH DS has such great legs. That's pretty ridiculous. Activision is going to milk that cow for all it's worth.

gtj1092

Jtyettis said:
Quoting for later lulz.

Jtyettis said:
Yea, 1 store with just 2 20GBs isn't really going to be respentive of the whole when you had Best Buys and other GS's pimping the price drop with quite a bit of stock. If fact, my local BB had a table with 20s right when you came in the door the week of the price drop, pretty much the first thing you saw when you walked in. Anyhow, the combined Pachter and EEDAR estimates for July NPD seem to be right about on target from everything I've and heard this month(Wii>360>PS3). August should interesting however as you stated I am wondering how the price drop rumors will impact the month.

Im just saying.

thuway

mr stroke said:
+1

This sounds stupid in theory, but I know multiple people who do this including myself. Every multiplayer game is purchased on 360.
I buy most of my multiplat games on my PS3. Due to realiability and my unstable finances - I opt to keep free online. What does that do to your theory?

doicare

Pretty much what i predicted, only the 360 was alot less then what i thought it would be, that real price drop for the 360 can't come soon enough. As for the mgs4 'bomba' comments do people realise that bundled software isn't counted by npd and with those bundled sales mgs4 would have been in the top 10 this month.

FrankT

gtj1092 said:
Im just saying.

Like I said these numbers are weird. Considering every analyst under the sun had it the same way, yea. Nevertheless, that quote is pretty funny because I do believe the 360 is going to have a very good holiday season putting it over the PS3 for the year easily.

Just saying.

Gaborn

Nolan. said:
I meant at face value rather than thinking of the reason behind it.

Well the numbers are simply the numbers, they're just data, so you're right. Still though, I think it's only natural to try to interpret what they seem to indicate (though obviously it's difficult considering the limited data set we get)

doicare said:
Pretty much what i predicted, only the 360 was alot less then what i thought it would be, that real price drop for the 360 can't come soon enough. As for the mgs4 'bomba' comments do people realise that bundled software isn't counted by npd and with those bundled sales mgs4 would have been in the top 10 this month.

did they break down how many PS3s sold were 80 GB MGS4 bundles?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Perhaps Microsoft needs to stop being stupid about their pricing. That price cut next month better happen.

Meh, for what. 360 is done, they needed something this summer and they didn't have shit.

Bail out

donny2112

doicare said:
do people realise that bundled software isn't counted by npd and with those bundled sales mgs4 would have been in the top 10 this month.

If bundled software was counted, Wii Sports would be 555K for the month, so MGS4 still might not have made it.

donny2112 said:
There seems to be a disconnect here.

When I say "numbers," I mean all the numbers, not just what we get now.
Yeah, and the old threads were also great because they were more chaotic. The numbers weren't just posted in the OP, the thread started way before decent numbers come out. It was more exciting to follow the thread back then.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
TheGreatDave said:
Rock Band Wii offers what most people want. The stuff other than DLC that is missing is no huge loss.
Well I'm getting annoyed that Nintendo fans lambaste Rock Band Wii for being a down and dirty port when RB2 is attempting to rectify the problems in the first game.

dreamer3kx said:
is 225k considered a good month? Whats considered a solid month?

I'd say 225 is definitely a solid month for PS3.....I mean what did it even release to retail? Nothing exclusive that I can think of off the top of my head

Narcosis

I forgot about the NPD prediction thread, so I didn't get my guesses in, but I would have sucked this month because I was betting on a bigger turnout for 360 with the 20gig phaseout sale and I would have also bet on the Wii being closer to 650K. Everything else seems about normal, I'm just surprised at the lower than expected Wii+360 (my current theories on Wii supply were that Nintendo regards 600-650K supply as appropriate for any given month regardless of 4 or 5 weeks, but I guess this month kinda kills my theory)

Good turnout for software on all 3 consoles this month

Agent Icebeezy said:
Perhaps Microsoft needs to stop being stupid about their pricing. That price cut next month better happen.

Like I said residual MGS4 bundle buyers. Notice how from last month the numbers gap between them are shortening once again. I'd be really surprised if MSFT don't make good on the REAL price drop next month.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MikeE21286 said:
I'd say 225 is definitely a solid month for PS3.....I mean what did it even release to retail? Nothing exclusive that I can think of off the top of my head

erm, what exclusive did ANY platform release to retail? FFIV DS?

Paracelsus

Meh, for what. 360 is done, they needed something this summer and they didn't have shit.

I'm not able to detect irony. Me fails.

Seriously, they have a lot of good stuff coming in Fall/Winter, what's the point in doing something for the summer? The gap won't be as big as last year, but sure as hell if they do it right they might set the YTD with PS3 on par with a single uber-month.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Archie said:
Well I'm getting annoyed that Nintendo fans lambaste Rock Band Wii for being a down and dirty port when RB2 is attempting to rectify the problems in the first game.

Well, if a crappy version of RB sells, that gives them less reason to put more effort into RB2 for Wii. People should be mad, especially those who actually bought it : /

WrikaWrek

Banned
Revelations said:
Like I said residual MGS4 bundle buyers. Notice how from last month the numbers gap between them are shortening once again. I'd be really surprised if MSFT don't make good on the REAL price drop next month.

?

As if Ps3 sales were good. They are shit, i mean 20k more? :lol . These consoles should be selling >300k at least. Not 200k and change. What a shitty gen.

laserbeam

Banned
Archie said:
Rock Band 2 is not Rock Band 1. People have every right to talk shit about Rock band 1. Just because they are gonna give a product the 2nd time around that they should have given the first time does not excuse their first release.

Top Bottom