• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Opiate

depward said:
You say that almost like there's evidence to back that claim up.

There was evidence for quite some time. That evidence is no longer apparent. Either PS3 owners have sped up their purchasing rates, or 360 owners have slowed down. Again, I'm not really sure which it is. I suspect the 360's breakneck speed of attach rate increase has slowed, because both the PS3 and Wii are catching up in leaps and bounds.

TwinsDad

MirageDwarf said:
If you are talking about rumored Sept. price drop, I think, Ars Technica article was posted on last day of NPD coverage month.

Mostly, yes. But if IIRC, wasn't there a rumor of a price drop a few weeks before E3?

Edit: and thanks for the article source and a time frame.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Private Hoffman said:
Wow.

I didn't expect this.

Not with the reported shortages of the Playstation 3 and the abundant supply + price drop of the Xbox 360.

This DOES NOT bode well for the upcoming pricedrop in September for Microsoft.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't they drop the price by $50?

They dropped the 20GB until supplies ran out. You know how many were in stock at the time? They need to become more proactive with their advertisements as well.

Opiate

This is easily the slowest NPD thread since I began reading GAF some 9 months ago. It's been slowing down month after month since GTA4 hit: I think that was the month that finally broke the back of the console war beast.

Crisis

Banned
The 360 isn't going to do well in August but I'm willing to bet that if the rumored September 7 pricedrop is real then they're going to do very well that month and probably for the rest of the year.

mr stroke said:
+1

This sounds stupid in theory, but I know multiple people who do this including myself. Every multiplayer game is purchased on 360.

Uh, not that i'm disagreeing with you here, but would the most logical conclusion be that the 360 has a larger install base?

More people to buy the game = more games bought.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Surprised at Rock Band Wii's numbers--didn't think it would be that high.

Note to 3rd-party developers: Jump on the Wii bandwagon. Make some good games. Rake in cash.

Agent Icebeezy said:
They dropped the 20GB until supplies ran out. You know how many were in stock at the time? They need to become more proactive with their advertisements as well.

Which, is in effect, a price drop given that it was priced $50 less.

I never heard of any shortages of the Xbox 360.

arne

FtsH said:
wait wait wait, didn't all the prediction said 360 will double PS3 this month? :lol

That was only EEDAR's prediction I believe.

I'll be very interested to read between the lines of some of the NPD reactions from the console makers today.

Opiate said:
This is easily the slowest NPD thread since I began reading GAF some 9 months ago. It's been slowing down month after month since GTA4 hit: I think that was the month that finally broke the back of the console war beast.
And it used to be even bigger before, when we got the numbers unofficially. What a mess that was. But so awesome. :lol

There's not much to talk about this month. The only worthwhile thing is that 360<PS3, and that's basically what the majority of the posts in this thread are about.

Brannon

Nothing really earth-shattering here. MS needs to drop it more, Nintendo does what nobody else can't and now Sony gets to bask in the second place spotlight for a while.

What were Earth Defense Force 2017's numbers total?

Private Hoffman said:
Wow.

I didn't expect this.

Not with the reported shortages of the Playstation 3 and the abundant supply + price drop of the Xbox 360.

This DOES NOT bode well for the upcoming pricedrop in September for Microsoft.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't they drop the price by $50?

They dropped the 20GB price to $300, introduced the 60GB at $350. Everything else stayed the same.

The rumored big price drop is supposedly in sept and is predicted to be:

elite - $399
60GB -$299
Arcade -$199

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Plinko said:
Surprised at Rock Band Wii's numbers--didn't think it would be that high.

Note to 3rd-party developers: Jump on the Wii bandwagon. Make some good games. Rake in cash.

Actually Rock Band Wiis success tells developers: "Note: Jump on the Wii bandwagon. Port some gimped shit. Rake in cash".

I'm stunned that MGS4 was so frontloaded.

And I can't help but think Microsoft's penchant for SKU confusion is aiding in their mediocre hardware sales.

grandjedi6 said:
gimped game is gimped. That doesn't change even if the sequel won't be gimped

Well at least now those people can just buy the Rock Band 2 standalone game and essentially have all of the content that 360 and PS3 owners have.

gtj1092

There is still plenty of 20GB left in Massachusetts were Im at but the 60GB have started to appear on shelves here even along side the 20GB in some stores.

Andvary

DeaconKnowledge said:
Uh, not that i'm disagreeing with you here, but would the most logical conclusion be that the 360 has a larger install base?

More people to buy the game = more games bought.

Exactly, I don't understand why they come up with those theories.

jimbo

Banned
Xeke said:
Because most of the consumers that want a 360 have one by now?

At its current price.

I seriously would have never envisioned this clusterfuck of console SKUs that we have going on right now with so many different pricing options. MS needed one console, with a decent size hard drive at no higher than $249 this fall. What they have going on now, I don't know if anyone can figure it out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still am shocked at how Nintendo absolutely nailed this generation of systems with the decision to ignore the HD and make a more affordable console.

Looked like stupidity at the time, but it was actually sheer genius.

Aristotlekh said:
I'm stunned that MGS4 was so frontloaded.

And I can't help but think Microsoft's penchant for SKU confusion is aiding in their mediocre hardware sales.

Why should you be so stunned? Same thing happened with Rainbox 6 vegas and others.

It probably did decently well (~100k stand alone, ~100k bundle) for a total of 200k for the month, which isn't too bad.

donny2112

Opiate said:
It's been slowing down month after month since GTA4 hit: I think that was the month that finally broke the back of the console war beast.

apr2008.gif

Gaborn

Plinko said:
I still am shocked at how Nintendo absolutely nailed this generation of systems with the decision to ignore the HD and make a more affordable console.

Looked like stupidity at the time, but it was actually sheer genius.

I think most people realized the error of HD when $599 was announced.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Nice sales for Rock Band Wii.
PS2 must've sold 147k based on Wii sales (49% of all console sales.)

Nolan.

Don't you guys think maybe mgs4 is still having a bit of an effect and maybe the price drop isn't a ''failure''.? I don't know though seems early to call that. Still whatever just go by the numbers that posted I suppose.

Private Hoffman said:
Why should you be so stunned? Same thing happened with Rainbox 6 vegas and others.

It probably did decently well (~100k stand alone, ~100k bundle) for a total of 200k for the month, which isn't too bad.

Do you really think just under half the people who bought a PS3 this month bought the MGS4 bundle? Sounds highly dubious to me.

Private Hoffman said:

didnt they only have 70k bundles when the game was launched? so why would they have more bundles now?

Frillen

Private Hoffman said:

But STILL. Going from 700k and something to less than 150k is a MASSIVE drop.

jimbo

Banned
wayward archer said:
They dropped the 20GB price to $300, introduced the 60GB at $350. Everything else stayed the same.

The rumored big price drop is supposedly in sept and is predicted to be:

elite - $399
60GB -$299
Arcade -$199

Those prices still suck. I say kill the Elite, kill the Arcade, sell the 60GB at $249, and offer a larger drive for those that care. That would be agressive.

Gaborn

Nolan. said:
Don't you guys think maybe mgs4 is still having a bit of an effect and maybe the price drop isn't a ''failure''.? I don't know though seems early to call that. Still whatever just go by the numbers that posted I suppose.

For some reason I find this hilarious.

Top Bottom