• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Frillen

doicare said:
Pretty much what i predicted, only the 360 was alot less then what i thought it would be, that real price drop for the 360 can't come soon enough. As for the mgs4 'bomba' comments do people realise that bundled software isn't counted by npd and with those bundled sales mgs4 would have been in the top 10 this month.

Doesn't really matter. MGS4 sold close to 1 Million with the bundle last month. Most likely less than 200k this month with the bundle. It's big drop no matter how you slice and dice it. But then again, the Wii and the DS only sell because the childrens are on holidays.

dreamer3kx said:
is 225k considered a good month? Whats considered a solid month?
Coming from where the PS3 is coming, I would call that a solid month.

Also worth considering is that the PS3 is still fairly expensive (so is the 360 for that matter), and the console is in second/third place (or better: not this gens winner). By these terms it's doing really well, since looking back at the GC and Xbox sales, I don't think they averaged above 200k in slow months like these. If I recall correctly the GC had sub-100k months fairly often.

Stumpokapow said:
erm, what exclusive did ANY platform release to retail? FFIV DS?
yeah, that's a good point.....but The 360 did have a price drop
or clearance
and the Wii is...well.....I think we all know that the Wii's sales are not driven by games

WrikaWrek said:
?

As if Ps3 sales were good. They are shit, i mean 20k more? :lol . These consoles should be selling >300k at least. Not 200k and change. What a shitty gen.

Prices are still too high.

Wii sports isn't the sole reason people are buying wii's like crazy. It's sitting at a good price too.

Ysiadmihi said:
Well, if a crappy version of RB sells, that gives them less reason to put more effort into RB2 for Wii. People should be mad, especially those who actually bought it : /

While I agree, it's foolish to think that EA will gimp sequels just for the hell of it, which is what people in this thread are implying.

Also, Rock Band's gimping isn't as bad as it's being made out to be. The removal of Online World Tour is upsetting, but DLC and create a player are only marginal omissions.

Gaborn

wayward archer said:
Prices are still too high.

Wii sports isn't the sole reason people are buying wii's like crazy. It's sitting at a good price too.

I think price enables consumers to feel comfortable buying something they want because it has games that appeal to them. But without the games that consumers want price would be irrelevant (see: PS3 Japan, 360 Japan)

donny2112

MikeE21286 said:
I think we all know that the Wii's sales are not driven by games

Considering Wii > PS2 in software sold in the U.S. at 21 months, not including Wii Sports, I'd say you'd have to be pretty blind to "know" that.

The removal of DLC is a minor omission? That is THE biggest selling point of Rock Band. I almost never play the disc-based songs anymore, but I continue to play the game every week.

What game came out in July, or is coming out in August that would get people to buy a 360? Too Human sure ain't moving consoles. Gears 2 will be a beast.

Meier

gtj1092 said:
But still being outsold with basically a $200 price difference should.

beaten
Umm... I'm hedging my bets and saying the vast majority of the PS3s were sold at $400 in July.

Ysiadmihi said:
Well, if a crappy version of RB sells, that gives them less reason to put more effort into RB2 for Wii. People should be mad, especially those who actually bought it : /
Considering Nintendo's relationship with third parties (and the false(?) perceptions surrounding it), I think the Wii userbase better be glad with the good Rock Band Sales. Because imho it goes like this

Rock Band sells well --> Sequel comes out, may or may not be average again.
Rock Band sells bad --> See, third parties don't sell on Wii, NO sequel.

NekoFever

Microsoft needs to do a real fucking price drop. We haven't had a 'real' one since the console came out, which is pushing three years ago. It's all very well trumpeting that you haven't been scared into dropping the price like a stone and talking about how you're 'adding value', but when you've clearly exhausted the people who are willing to pay $300+, which is not a mass-market price, it's time to drop it.

I appreciate that the 360 is well out in front and profitable (I think?) and the PS3 isn't going to catch it any time soon, but it becomes a problem when people perceive your machine as being waning and the competitor's as being on the upswing. It's not good to be doing these numbers off the back of a strong E3 and a
sort of
price drop.

Opiate

I genuinely don't think either MS or Sony can afford a "real" price drop any time soon. I think MS is closer to being able to afford it, and may bite the bullet and do it this holiday. Sony I'm more skeptical of: I think we'll get a wealth of value bundles including some high quality bundle games, and we'll get the SKU shift to 399, but I don't think we'll see a 349 or 299 PS3 soon.

In other words, this isn't like last generation (or the generations before it), where price drops can be done at will whenever the parent company deems it strategically viable. This generation Sony and Microsoft have bled so much money right out of the gate that they essentially emptied both barrels within 12 months of the respective system's release. It'll be some time before they can reload, and price drops will come when they are remotely feasible on a financial level, not when it seems like it would really put the screws on the competitors.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Do you really think just under half the people who bought a PS3 this month bought the MGS4 bundle? Sounds highly dubious to me.

The 80 GB is a very popular model right now, why wouldn't it do roughly half? Given that the 40 GB stock is drying up, my ~50% estimate is probably low balling the MGS4 bundle figures.

But STILL. Going from 700k and something to less than 150k is a MASSIVE drop.

Going from 1 million to about 200k is pretty expected for this sort of title. It's not a casual game, and it certainly doesn't have long legs like some multiplayer shooter titles for the online play.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
While I agree, it's foolish to think that EA will gimp sequels just for the hell of it, which is what people in this thread are implying.

Also, Rock Band's gimping isn't as bad as it's being made out to be. The removal of Online World Tour is upsetting, but DLC and create a player are only marginal omissions.

Personally, I don't care about DLC but you're brushing it off like it's nothing which is pretty silly. What bugs me most though is no online play. Inexcusable.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Sucks to see MGS4 out of the top 10 already. Atleast the PS3 outsold the 360 again this month :D

ratcliffja said:
The removal of DLC is a minor omission? That is THE biggest selling point of Rock Band. I almost never play the disc-based songs anymore, but I continue to play the game every week.

To you perhaps. But for every person that thinks that DLC is the heart and soul of Rock Band are 10 people that don't give a shit and just want a setlist. Should the game not be released because they can't get DLC in time?

Like I said before it debuted, the people who think it's too big of an omission will wait for the inevitable Rock Band 2, which, lo and behold, is reported to have DLC and Create a player.

edit: OR get Guitar Hero, World Tour.

Gaborn

Pimpbaa said:
If the 360 numbers are laughable, then so are the PS3's.

Different expectations (though if you take a long term view 2 years ago the PS3's sales today would be unimaginable), the 360 was expected to benefit a bit from a price drop.

doicare

Frillen said:
Doesn't really matter. MGS4 sold close to 1 Million with the bundle last month. Most likely less than 200k this month with the bundle. It's big drop no matter how you slice and dice it. But then again, the Wii and the DS only sell because the childrens are on holidays.

Yaaaaawwwnnn at the attempted trolling but as for the mgs4 point, news just in.....most hardcore games have big drop offs in the second month :eek:.

p.s. how did your predictions turn out this month, will i see you shooting up the league table? :D

Nolan.

Linkzg said:
What game came out in July, or is coming out in August that would get people to buy a 360? Too Human sure ain't moving consoles. Gears 2 will be a beast.

Now that would be funny if that happened, anyway Hd is dying a little but should still be fun.

NekoFever said:
Microsoft needs to do a real fucking price drop. We haven't had a 'real' one since the console came out, which is pushing three years ago. It's all very well trumpeting that you haven't been scared into dropping the price like a stone and talking about how you're 'adding value', but when you've clearly exhausted the people who are willing to pay $300+, which is not a mass-market price, it's time to drop it.

I appreciate that the 360 is well out in front and profitable (I think?) and the PS3 isn't going to catch it any time soon, but it becomes a problem when people perceive your machine as being waning and the competitor's as being on the upswing. It's not good to be doing these numbers off the back of a strong E3 and a
sort of
price drop.

I don't think anyone outside the fishbowl of the hardcore gamer considers either the PS3 or the 360 on any kind of upswing. Like I pointed out. A 280,000 gap LTP v. a 2,200,000 gap.

Neither of them are swinging anywhere, in the grand scheme of the marketplace.

donny2112 said:
Considering Wii > PS2 in software sold in the U.S. at 21 months, not including Wii Sports, I'd say you'd have to be pretty blind to "know" that.
What game came out to justify 555,000 consoles sold in freakin' July. Lots of it has to do with relative price point and pop culture phenomenon

Linkzg said:

Denis_dyack_on_too_human.jpg

Scrubking

DeaconKnowledge said:

Not "for the hell of it". They'll do it to save money. If gimped versions sell then there is no need (in their mind), to spend extra money to match the other versions in content and quality.

Mrbob

Remember the 80GB PS3 is getting a 100 dollar price drop to $399.99 in September.

Of course it isn't exactly the same thing as the current 80GB system, but this matters not to the mass market. Smart play on Sonys part.

Wow. For the first time since this generation began, I've been able to follow this thread along from beginning to end and not have two new pages to read each time I opened a new one.

Could it be.... acceptance?

By the way, MGS4's audience tends to be pretty dedicated, buy consoles for the game and line up to get it day 1. That explains its drop off both in pushing hardware and in copies sold. Though I'm sure its chart ranking drop is not as precipitous as some are claiming.

As for the 360, I find it rather odd that its software sales seem to be slowing down. Could it be a backlog effect? By that I mean that when people first buy a console, they get a lot of software at once in a frenzy but slow their purchasing habits afterwards.

Clinton514

Wasn't the 360 price drop recent? And why are people so surprised by the PS3 beating it out?

It's more interesting seeing the reactions from certain people rather than the actual NPD info
:lol

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
gtj1092 said:
There is still plenty of 20GB left in Massachusetts were Im at but the 60GB have started to appear on shelves here even along side the 20GB in some stores.

Oddly enough, I just went to Best Buy. (the one on the west side of Abq, if you're wondering) They had a stack of 20GB models next to a stack of 60GB models. Then I went around the corner to see if they had any PS3's or wii's, and lo and behold, another stack of 20GB's.

Scrubking said:
Not "for the hell of it". They'll do it to save money. If gimped versions sell then there is no need (in their mind), to spend extra money to match the other versions in content and quality.

With Guitar Hero World Tour ready and waiting to steal sales with a better feature set? Yeah no.

Opiate

MikeE21286 said:
What game came out to justify 555,000 consoles sold in freakin' July. Lots of it has to do with relative price point and pop culture phenomenon

Part of the reason why casuals are casuals is that they don't rush out to buy a system the second a game they want is available. Wii Fit is still selling systems, no question. I would wager Mario Kart Wii is too, and Wii Sports will sell systems until the end of the generation.

Donny's point is absolutely sound: if we can agree software sells systems (and apparently we can), then it's completely logical to assume that the Wii is selling based on software, because it's selling more of it than anything else in history.

donny2112

MikeE21286 said:
What game came out to justify 555,000 consoles sold in freakin' July.

Something called Wii Sports had a hand in it, I believe. Considering it probably sold 3-4 million in software this month (based on estimates of the past couple of months), there's a few games selling with the system now and again. Maybe you think the DS is selling based on hype alone considering it seems to have only a game or so in the top 10 each month?

Top Bottom