• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '17 PS4 Online League Thread: DOTA is dead, long live DOTA

Bread

Banned
Greg now that you're on PC there's a chance we will play each other on cross play 8)

it's a shame we can't party up for some dumb reason

Greg

Madden preload started

my PS4 is now a dedicated Madden machine... as I predicted would happen when I purchased my PS4
Greg now that you're on PC there's a chance we will play each other on cross play 8)

it's a shame we can't party up for some dumb reason
I thought you had it for PC too

Bread

Banned
Madden preload started

my PS4 is now a dedicated Madden machine... as I predicted would happen when I purchased my PS4

I thought you had it for PC too
i do but it runs like shit. i wonder if pc/xbone players can join the same private server...

Price increase sucks, but I'm sure there will still be sales on eBay or wherever.

Maybe they're increasing the price to handle 2FA.
hahahaha

Greg

Did I miss something . Did you get a new PC.
already had a nice PC for audio work, but never cared to get a graphics card

just got a 960 for cheap once I saw the light that was RL without vsync and custom deadzone settings!

oh shit, that's tomorrow. guess I gotta buy madden, huh.
Fucking hate that I'm buying this game digitally.
I just close my eyes as I delete last year's version and those trade-in deals show up - not too bad

It's good that initial impressions are...impressive. But for franchise guys like us it'll take time before we figure how much the game does or doesn't suck. PP is legit but I'm sure we will have a "Do these Madden devs even test CCM" posts eventually.

Wow PSN raising prices on subscribers? Get fucked!!

after playing about 10 games of madden 17, there are definitely a lot of improvements to be excited about (even for us CCM guys). some of the things i've seen that i liked:

- you can't just bullshit with manual control and get insane picks all the time. maybe this is because i'm playing with a junk LB, i mostly control wilhoite (who is horrible) and i just can't get to the balls in my area unless i'm really close to it. in years past (including last year!) i use the shittier of the 2 LB's in the 3-4 because i can make up his deficiencies with manual play, but so far this year i've had a bunch of balls floated right over my head for a completion where in years past it was an INT because i did the jump up 5 yards in the air animation. i have still gotten some picks, but i have to be there to get it. this prevents me from kind of covering 2 guys at once in the same area with a shitty LB... which is as it should be i suppose. maybe it's different if you're controlling kuekly or one of the other super LB's

- pass rush is strong in general, especially against a poor OL. with the niners i have to get the ball out quick. i feel like the D is on me so fast.

- screen defense is improved it seems. they still succeed but they are stopped regularly without manual intervention

- i like the running game a lot better this year. the running between tackles feels tighter and quicker

- i already mentioned this before but i have seen a few "qb gets hit while throwing" turn into fumbles, which as we know last year were incomplete ALL the fucking time. i still think they need to go further in that direction but at least getting some fumbles is a start

- i tested out the formation subs from within the ccm menu and they work as advertised! this is going to be a really underrated/great feature for the league. there are so many guys i draft for one purpose, or maybe 1 play a game, but during an actual game i'm just not thinking about getting them in the game and this can fix things like that. i also messed around with one of the niners formations i don't use much to kind of get a "pure pass rush" roster on the field. things like that should keep a good rotation of your players rather than just the 11 guys on offense and defense that you usually use

- like i said last night, the practice squad stuff is pretty cool. i can see a lot of sniping happening during the season. you can actually disable practice squad sniping but i don't see why we would. the only weird thing is i thought i counted 10 guys on my practice squad and i thought the NFL rule was only 8 but maybe that changed?

- in addition to that, the FA breakdown is much more convenient. you can search FA's by "top 100", "top 100 practice squad eligible" "Non eligible" etc.

- at the beginning of starting your franchise, you set your "season goal" as a coach. the higher your goals, the more XP you will get. if you fail to make your goals you have a higher chance to get fired (although we wont have firings obviously)

- not that anyone here necessarily cares, but i played a single player franchise game and the presentation was actually pretty slick. i haven't listened to the announcing team yet

- you still have weekly "practice", only this year you can practice a play, or series of plays, and then during the game that week if you run that play your team gets a boost? not really sure how that works but its cool i suppose

with all that said, it's still madden. dumb shit still happens so don't expect a totally new game but it is definitely improved in almost every way over last years game (which was a good game overall i felt)

Bread

Banned
idk about that first point fmt! you had a pretty crazy pick right at the line of scrimmage when i was throwing the ball 10-15 yards down the field to a receiver on the left. We each had at least 2 user picks each.

Me: I had placed an order for this game a few weeks ago and still don't have a download code. I would like to pre-load the game so I can play it upon release rather than having to wait to download it after. When will I be receiving the code so I can start the download?

Sid: Hello, my name is Sid. I'm here to help you today.

Me: Hello, how are you?

Sid: Hello, Jeff
I am good and thanks for asking
Let me check the order details
Allow me few minutes
I will go ahead and cancel the order. Will you re-order it now?

Me: well i don't want to cancel it
i just want to know when i'd get my download code
if i re-order it now, am i going to get the download code immediately?
the game doesn't come out until tomorrow but i would like to pre-load it if possible

Sid: I am checking with the technical team
Allow me few minutes

Sid: If you prefer, I can cancel this order. You can re-order the game and it should be completed within next 2 hours

Me: but would i get the download code immediately if i did that?

Sid: Yes

Sid: I have just checked with the technical team
You will get the code within next 2 hours once you order it

lol what are the odds im actually going to get the code within that time frame?

wow it actually did work

idk about that first point fmt! you had a pretty crazy pick right at the line of scrimmage when i was throwing the ball 10-15 yards down the field to a receiver on the left. We each had at least 2 user picks each.

you threw a line drive dart and i was right in front of it.... i don't even think my guy jumped to get it. maybe he did, i dont remember, point being is that it's not very common

I gotta admit, the burning desire to get this digitally...fuck.

Will that 15-20 dollar trade-in in April/May be worth it?....

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Amazon is telling me it will be here tomorrow but it hasnt even shipped yet. Normally id believe them but they fucked up my madden shipping last year and it came a few days late.

Which doesnt even really matter because PITLORD drops tomorrow so fuck madden.

Greg

I gotta admit, the burning desire to get this digitally...fuck.

Will that 15-20 dollar trade-in in April/May be worth it?....
do you play any other physical copies regularly?

considering how often you have to fire up Madden for the league...

jfc

heads up Bowser, apparently my bank has killed my debit card because having a job and spending money is "not usual activity". Got declined at my works vending machine today, thought it was the machine. Checked my bank, money still there and no major pending transactions.

Checked my email, and the order for payment was declined this morning for your madden copy.

I'm calling the bank now to see whats up. Hang tight.

jacobs34

It looks like this game is shaping up. I'm a little bummed that I didn't find this thread in time to get into the GAF league. Does anyone here know where I can go to find other leagues to play in that will be better than just joining a random league?

I just bought a card for a year of PSN on eBay for $48.50.

Slick deals has one for 37.99 today

It looks like this game is shaping up. I'm a little bummed that I didn't find this thread in time to get into the GAF league. Does anyone here know where I can go to find other leagues to play in that will be better than just joining a random league?

There is another neogaf league but I don't know where their thread is. I can put you on our reserve list as well!

AT we have to see if any other vets want them first!

DCX

DCX
I pre ordered digitally so I think I'll be online tonight to run one or two.

I doubt I'll sleep much!

DCX

LJ11

Personally, I think this is one of the better Madden's but it's also going to drive people nuts. Right now the game plays really fast, which I love. You have guys with mediocre speed ratings playing quick, you don’t get caught from behind as much. This speed also comes with a couple of problems. I think DL blockshed as well, if not a bit better than last year’s version, but with the increased speed you better be ready to watch linemen fly through at you, especially when you blitz, the OL tend to disengage faster when they’re overwhelmed. When you couple this aspect, with better coverage, there are going to be times where you feel that you can’t do a thing on O.

There’s also a bunch of randomness, no longer can a QB release the ball while getting popped, as FMT mentioned you’re going to fumble. Defensive players go after the football carrier, they actively try to punch the ball out from behind, if you’re carrying a defender he’s trying to punch it out. I’ve had multiple games where I was stripped from behind, was going in for a TD in one game and the DB punched it out. If shit like this angers you just don’t throw your controller. You need to make good reads in this game as well, combo you routes well.

User play is much better, I feel like I get better animations while usering a defender, still some jankiness, you don’t always get the animation you want but it's more responsive than last year.

I think it’s a fun game, I also think EA is going to tune a bunch of shit and it won’t be the same game a month from now.

Edit: And not that anyone cares, but I thought last years game was trash, I liked some aspects but it just pissed me off way too much. This is a much better game from the jump.

Smokey

I think it’s a fun game, I also think EA is going to tune a bunch of shit and it won’t be the same game a month from now.

Edit: And not that anyone cares, but I thought last years game was trash, I liked some aspects but it just pissed me off way too much. This is a much better game from the jump.

Thanks for the impressions.

Curious when we start league.

Nightz

That thread about Drizzay (Destiny GAF member) passing away really put a damper on my day. Didn't play with him much, but he was super cool the few times I did.

DJ Bowser

jfc

heads up Bowser, apparently my bank has killed my debit card because having a job and spending money is "not usual activity". Got declined at my works vending machine today, thought it was the machine. Checked my bank, money still there and no major pending transactions.

Checked my email, and the order for payment was declined this morning for your madden copy.

I'm calling the bank now to see whats up. Hang tight.
Alas! I could have done the Best Buy trade-in then!

I'll shoot you a PM and see what the best course of action is.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Slick deals has one for 37.99 today

There is another neogaf league but I don't know where their thread is. I can put you on our reserve list as well!

AT we have to see if any other vets want them first!

I'm taking them. Nashville's so close, I'm basically lifelong.

DJ Bowser

I'm heading to the bank after work, this should be resolved by tonight. It wasn't supposed to ship till tomorrow, so we should be fine
Ship tomorrow? I figured it would arrive tomorrow. Amazon is trash!

Could keep the order cancelled and just get me a year pass of the PSPlus since that's the same price. Then I could buy digitally and feed my addiction immediately!

Or whatever...

Top Bottom