• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Thread - 2006 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

You can't compare the "free pass" given to McGuire (and others) compared to Bonds now - different situations entirely. Andro was not only not against baseball's rules but legal to buy in any health food store at the time (hell the andro story broke because McGuire had a bottle sitting in his locker) as noted already and it was much more of a grey area, but it was the first real time the stituation came up. There's no doubt that Bonds knew he was breaking laws and the whole climate of sports had changed greatly.

And don't think everyone just laughed it off, McGuire took a HUGE amount of negative press over it and it was a major story for a month.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This topic will get a sticky once March Madness is done.

Or.

I could take March Madness down now and put this one up.

Bottom line is that I can't add another sports sticky because then we are risking all sports topics being unstickied.

Personally, fuck hockey, fuck NBA, fuck NCAA. Only two sports matter in my eyes, football and baseball goshdarnit!

Wellington said:

Or.

Bottom line is that I can't add another sports sticky because then we are risking all sports topics being unstickied.

Personally, fuck hockey, fuck NBA, fuck NCAA. Only two sports matter in my eyes, football and baseball goshdarnit!

can't this one replace the NCAA one in like a week?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
I added the Heartbreak Kid anyway. Add it to show your support:

mlb.gif

Go ahead and use that link if you wish. I have over a 900 gigs of bandwidth per month to burn =p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ninja Scooter said:
can't this one replace the NCAA one in like a week?

Or.

Oh, fuck yes. This is the one thread I await every year.

Bomber backers, stand the fuck up.
Yankee haters, prepare for no mercy.

And now, my predictions:

NL East: Mets (because I've gotta keep the faith so a Subway Series can somehow occur)
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
Wildcard: Braves

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: A's
Wildcard: Indians

Finally, ALL HAIL KID WONDERFUL

acidviper

Banned
I vote to keep it non-sticky. With all the performance enhancers going on, how can Barry Bonds still be a player with standing records. Its all a fracking joke. All the Giants wins should be revoked and MVP's redistributed. God MLB is a mess. Its boring and its best players are all juiced up to hell.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't own him on my two fantasy teams this year thanks mostly to my not getting the first pick, but fantasy aside there is no denying that The Kid is going to have another truly "Wonderful" season. To all the haters out there that say he is not clutch or has no heart, he pretty much destroyed that by single-handedly beating the team the won the WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC. I expect him to do the same in the World Series this year, all the while doing it in his straight-up wonderful awesome fun-loving style.

wonderfulnew25fe.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
acidviper said:
I vote to keep it non-sticky. With all the performance enhancers going on, how can Barry Bonds still be a player with standing records. Its all a fracking joke. All the Giants wins should be revoked and MVP's redistributed. God MLB is a mess. Its boring and its best players are all juiced up to hell.

bottle.gif

Get the hell out of here.

calder

AstroLad said:
To all the haters out there that say he is not clutch or has no heart, he pretty much destroyed that by single-handedly beating the team the won the WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC.
You wanted a high fantasy draft position in order to pick up Bob Davidson? I would have assumed most umpires would be available quite late in even the deepest drafts!

g_oh_275.jpg

"Japan manager Sadaharu Oh, left, congratulates Team USA's Bob Davidson at the conclusion of Sunday's game, which Davidson's team won 4-3."

Fifty

AstroLad said:
I don't own him on my two fantasy teams this year thanks mostly to my not getting the first pick, but fantasy aside there is no denying that The Kid is going to have another truly "Wonderful" season. To all the haters out there that say he is not clutch or has no heart, he pretty much destroyed that by single-handedly beating the team the won the WORLD BASEBALL CLASSIC. I expect him to do the same in the World Series this year, all the while doing it in his straight-up wonderful awesome fun-loving style.

wonderfulnew25fe.jpg

funloving0py.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol Dammit, I seem to have misplaced the lyrics to the A-Rod Rap. It was so great too. I may hate the yankees, but I can't knock The Kid's style. Pure hustle, pure heart, purely Wonderful.

Get your deformed MLB avatars here!

randyav0ke.jpg

derekjeterav5ed.jpg

dleeav29zu.jpg

manramav3qc.jpg

we gotta sticky the topic here so it's not stuck over there.

predictions.

AL EAST

yankees 95-67
red sox 91-71
toronto 87-75
tampa bay 70-92
baltimore. 63-99

yankees are a bit more stable this year (just barely) the pitching seems suspect. but the hitting is godly. red sox have lost a step and look for toronto to catch up. tampa has a good line-up and baltimore chucks it this year.

AL CENTRAL

chicago 100-62
cleveland 97-65
minnesotta 89-73
detroit 81-81
kansas city 57-105

chicago's pitching is as strong as it's been and the line-up is solid top to bottom. cleveland will beat them out next year though. that team did a complete rennaissance from the mid-late 90's days. twinkies will be competitive.

AL WEST

anaheim 93-69
oakland 88-74
texas 85-77
seattle 73-89

i dont see too much change. oakland has of course nice young pitchers but i think anaheim outlasts them. not much to say. will finish this later.

NL EAST.

braves 95-67
mets 91-71
phillies 89-73
nationals 83-79
marlins 60-102

hoo boy, the braves juice aint running out any time soon and the line-up is now complete and healthy. a well oiled running machine. mets are improved but they need time to gel. i can even see the phillies overtake them if they put it togheter.

NL CENTRAL

cardinals 97-65
brewers 87-75
astros 85-77
cubs 75-87
pirates 70-92
reds 65-97

as always this is the most interesting division but only for geography purposes. the cards have no real competition here aside from houston who frankly didnt do much this off-season. and clemens left. the brewers have some good, young solid players who could be very exciting. look for them to make some noise. the rest are teh suck.

NL WEST.

padres 92-70
dodgers 89-73
giants 85-77
colorado 77-85
diamondbacks 66-96

i cant think of anything here. giants depend on barry and the dodgers will have enough to get over the hump. edit: unless theh padres magically rise from the grave!!!!

WILD CARD
cleveland
mets

ALCS
yanks over chi-sox

NLCS
braves over cardinals

world series
cardinals vs. yankees

Meier

I'm disappointed that the Dodgers have sent down Jonathan Broxton among others. Holy shit, Pat Borders hit a HR for the Dodgers today... seriously, I figured he'd retired like 5 seasons ago at least. :lol

If you're gonna get this thread stickied, you're gonna have to beat the Hockey thread. And there's a pack of NHL nuts 15 threads from where I'm standin' right now that are gonna have a little somethin' to say about you takin' care of business. But we're gonna get stickied.

Now, if you wanna get stickied, you're gonna have to beat a team of canadians, a team of moderators and admins over in Vancouver that outweigh you by about 30 pounds a man. And they will run you over -- I guarantee ya.

Now, Canuck fans, they'll take your homes. They'll burn 'em down. They'll eat your dogs. Canuck fans will wreck you -- and that's a fact.

It's a good day, gentlemen. It's a good day to think about responsibility.

It's a good day to ask yourself a couple of questions.

It's a good day, gentlemen, to ask yourselves if, on a personal level, you're willin' to accept that.

If you're willin' to accept the responsibility you have to protect this post, this thread, and this League. And make no mistake about it gentlemen, we are in the business of winning. We are in the business of protectin' this thread.

The expectations couldn't be any higher: We will get this thread stickied.

This is real sincere warfare.

Can you be perfect?

i'd follow you to the dephts of hell.

Mashing

Miguel said:
Lining it to left....iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's GONE! IT'S GONE! IT'S GONE!

0-walkoff.jpg

*Hi Five*

Holy shit solrac, you're on crack if you think the Cubs will win 100 games this season. It's not that I don't think they have the talent (they do infact), it's just that Dusty "I kill my players" Baker is the worst manager in the league and his players consistantly go down to injury.

This is all I know:

NL Central

Pirates 160-2 (lose twice when Jason Bay takes off for the Canadian holidays of Victoria Day and Canada Day)
Cards 90-72
Brewers 79-83
Cubs 74-88
Astros 66-96
Reds 60-102

Mashing said:
*Hi Five*

Holy shit solrac, you're on crack if you think the Cubs will win 100 games this season. It's not that I don't think they have the talent (they do infact), it's just that Dusty "I kill my players" Baker is the worst manager in the league and his players consistantly go down to injury.

*looks at post* *blink* the cubs....?! huh?! buh....

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
evil solrac v3.0 said:
*looks at post* *blink* the cubs....?! huh?! buh....

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what he's talking about.

Anyways, I don't see the White Sox AND Indians both winning 95+ games. The Twins are in that division you know, and last time I checked, they still have damn fine pitching. Kansas City stinks, but the AL is still a pretty tough league.

Miguel

Dr. Strangelove said:
You'll regret that smile when the nutcase punches Captain Intangibles in his grill later this season.

:lol

I get the feeling that the only reason the Red Sox signed him was for the Sox/Yanks games :lol

AirBrian

My predictions:

NL East: Braves
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
Wildcard: Mets

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: A's
Wildcard: Indians

Bonus crazy prediction:

Wood and Prior each win 15 games!

Eminem said:
Kris Benson and Anna are getting a divorce :lol :lol :lol :lol
Uh-oh...

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
A 12 team money league...am I wrong for being overjoyed because of my team?

C J. Varitek
1B P. Konerko
2B J. Cantú
3B S. Rolen
SS J. Rollins
LF M. Ramírez
CF C. Crisp
RF I. Suzuki
Util J. Thome
BN A. Rowand
BN L. Overbay
BN F. Thomas

SP R. Oswalt
SP R. Harden
RP B. Wagner
RP B. Jenks
P M. Mulder
P T. Hudson
P A. Harang
BN E. Santana
BN K. Foulke

Joe

is sporting news or anyone doing a free salary cap style game this year? i cant find it anywhere on sportingnews.com

Joe

ok i made a league. its salary cap style meaning you have $30,000,000 to play with and you have to field the best team within that salary cap. there is no drafting, everyone can have arod if they wanted to.

there's 2 seasons per year, 1 is opening day to all star break. the other starts at the all-star break and ends on the last day. the 2nd season i believe would require a new league.

if you want in PM me

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Eminem said:
A 12 team money league...am I wrong for being overjoyed because of my team?

C J. Varitek
1B P. Konerko
2B J. Cantú
3B S. Rolen
SS J. Rollins
LF M. Ramírez
CF C. Crisp
RF I. Suzuki
Util J. Thome
BN A. Rowand
BN L. Overbay
BN F. Thomas

SP R. Oswalt
SP R. Harden
RP B. Wagner
RP B. Jenks
P M. Mulder
P T. Hudson
P A. Harang
BN E. Santana
BN K. Foulke

5x5 Roto? (aka pure fantasy baseball, ok 4x4 is actually "pure," but I digress)

Your team is pretty well-balanced, and overall very talented, w/ a good (if a bit extreme, that is you have a lot of pure power and pure speed guys) balance between speed and power. If anything you may have excess speed between Ichiro, Rollins, and Coco in your starting lineup, though I don't see you finishing outside of the top 3 or 4 in the power cats with Cantu, Konerko, and ManRam in there as long as Coco delivers on the ~20 HRs people are expecting him to hit.

It's interesting you got to put together a team like that b/c you have several guys I would consider overvalued this year generally (Cantu, Oswalt, Harden, Jenks probably now) but looking at that squad you must have gotten them at a reasonable price. I really think Wagner could be a top closer this year (and he goes at slightly less than that cost in my experience) and it looks like you got him in round 5 which is a nice price.

Obviously the big question marks are Rolen and Jenks, especially since Rolen is your only 3B and Jenks/Foulke are your 2 and 3 closers. I can't believe Foulke dropped that far, but it's a good bargain risk. Without knowing what the other teams even look like I'd venture a guess that you should definitely finish top 3 if you stay on top of things.

As for the SN league, I'm not too big on those salary cap games, not because they don't seem fun, but b/c I'm a curmedgeon when it comes to the types of fantasy baseball games I'll play (just ask Triumph). It would have been awesome if we could have put together a GA Auction draft league but since there are really only 5-6 people on GA truly serious about fantasy baseball I think the current leagues are fine, and I'll just stick to non-GA for my "serious" (read: pay) leagues and continue to have fun in the 1 or 2 GA leagues (though I'm pissed I missed registering for Sven's, your league seems like it will be decent fun since I like my lineup so much even though I usually don't like anything above 12 players). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom