• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Thread - 2006 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Joe said:
ok i made a league. its salary cap style meaning you have $30,000,000 to play with and you have to field the best team within that salary cap. there is no drafting, everyone can have arod if they wanted to.

there's 2 seasons per year, 1 is opening day to all star break. the other starts at the all-star break and ends on the last day. the 2nd season i believe would require a new league.

if you want in PM me

IN LIKE MOTHERFUCKING ...something that rhymes with IN!

Joe

PM ME FOR LINK AND PASSWORD TO JOIN GAF SALARY CAP STYLE FANTASY BASBEBALL GAME

and if you can click "views" on the top of either gaming or OT discussion you'll see the 2005 MLB thread was the 2nd highest viewed thread in neo-gaf history...YOU CANT DENY THOSE STATS MODS :)

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
AstroLad said:
5x5 Roto? (aka pure fantasy baseball, ok 4x4 is actually "pure," but I digress)

Your team is pretty well-balanced, and overall very talented, w/ a good (if a bit extreme, that is you have a lot of pure power and pure speed guys) balance between speed and power. If anything you may have excess speed between Ichiro, Rollins, and Coco in your starting lineup, though I don't see you finishing outside of the top 3 or 4 in the power cats with Cantu, Konerko, and ManRam in there as long as Coco delivers on the ~20 HRs people are expecting him to hit.

It's interesting you got to put together a team like that b/c you have several guys I would consider overvalued this year generally (Cantu, Oswalt, Harden, Jenks probably now) but looking at that squad you must have gotten them at a reasonable price. I really think Wagner could be a top closer this year (and he goes at slightly less than that cost in my experience) and it looks like you got him in round 5 which is a nice price.

Obviously the big question marks are Rolen and Jenks, especially since Rolen is your only 3B and Jenks/Foulke are your 2 and 3 closers. I can't believe Foulke dropped that far, but it's a good bargain risk. Without knowing what the other teams even look like I'd venture a guess that you should definitely finish top 3 if you stay on top of things.

I actually got Wagner in the 7th, somehow. I got Cantu in the 11th, so I was fine with that.
And yeah, it's 5x5 roto.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Joe said:
PM ME FOR LINK AND PASSWORD TO JOIN GAF SALARY CAP STYLE FANTASY BASBEBALL GAME

Jesus fuck that was hard. My team is awful, but there's not much I can do. Yikes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Eminem said:
I actually got Wagner in the 7th, somehow. I got Cantu in the 11th, so I was fine with that.
And yeah, it's 5x5 roto.

Wow, that's hilariously ridiculous. And for money! Nice. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha after I "signed" my team I reminded myself why I vowed never to do it again after I played three years ago; my mind is just way too honed into the paradigms of 5X5 Roto and this is certainly a steep departure from that. Ah well, go anyways losers!

This is a fun game I played a while last year until I forgot about it-
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/fantasy/bts/y2005/index.jsp
Basically the first person to reach a 57 game hitting streak (picking ANY player every day) wins 100 grand. Sounds easy but the closest anyone has gotten in the past five years is 43 games :)lol considering how many play).

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Eminem said:
Jesus fuck that was hard. My team is awful, but there's not much I can do. Yikes.
No shit.

Impossible to find an everyday player under 4 million. Especially when the search functionality is broken. Even some rookies (National's 3rd Baseman) were in the 4.75 million range. WTF

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lathentar said:
No shit.

Impossible to find an everyday player under 4 million. Especially when the search functionality is broken. Even some rookies (National's 3rd Baseman) were in the 4.75 million range. WTF

Aaron Hill was freaking like $4m, and I had to find a guy at a quarter of his price. :lol The problem is I assume most of us are programmed with h2h or roto valuations and this is a totally different ballgame.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
AstroLad said:
Aaron Hill was freaking like $4m, and I had to find a guy at a quarter of his price. :lol The problem is I assume most of us are programmed with h2h or roto valuations and this is a totally different ballgame.
I'm guessing the value of the player is based on the number of people selecting them capped at 9 mil.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lathentar said:
I'm guessing the value of the player is based on the number of people selecting them capped at 9 mil.

I dunno man, I mean Bonds is the most expensive OF. I'm big on Bonds this year (own him in the GA league) but that's crazy considering the associated risks and uncertainty. I mean I got him at the end of Round 7 in the GA League (pick 94) ffs.

calder

That TSN league was brutal! I go looking for a mediocre rookie I think will be cheap and he's worth 3mil! Damn that was hard to fill out a roster, the NHL one is incredibly easy in comparison as they always have young guys undervalued. I have 2 incredibly shaky pitchers in the 3 slots and they are still overvalued in my eyes but I couldn't afford even a mediocre end of rotation veteran on a decent team. Very challenging alright. :D

Joe

i think i fielded a pretty damn good team but im relying heavily on young players and unproven players. guess that's the way you gotta play though.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
calder said:
I have 2 incredibly shaky pitchers in the 3 slots and they are still overvalued in my eyes but I couldn't afford even a mediocre end of rotation veteran on a decent team. Very challenging alright. :D

Glendon Rusch is my ace =x

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Just such a pain in the ass finding a starter under 3 mil.

Just went through and made a new team with 3 power house players and a the rest scrubs.

calder

:lol my #2 pitcher in the TSN game had an ERA last season of 5.2, and my #3 pitcher had an ERA over 7 and a half!

Meier I had the same problem, make sure you're signed into TSN.com first and then go make a team. Once you have your team name, join an existing league and search for GAF. The password works then, don't know why their setup is so messed up.

Joe

the world series champions keep almost their entire championship team, add another top of the rotation starter, and a guy who will hit 40hr's if he's healthy, and theyre #2??????

someone on the red sox must suck a mean dick.

Meier

Cool, got it working -- thanks calder. I'm pretty pleased with my team actually.. only 1 guy isn't an everyday player and he has the chance to be. My most expensive player is Jorge Cantu at 5.82 million.

calder

Meier said:
I'm pretty pleased with my team actually.. only 1 guy isn't an everyday player and he has the chance to be. My most expensive player is Jorge Cantu at 5.82 million.
Haha, that's my problem I simply had to have Mark "Big Tex" Teixeira at first. For the 8+ million I had to pay for him he better take the mound a few times and get me some K's and W's too. ;)

Miguel

AstroLad said:
Devine was optioned to Triple-A Richmond. This was a bit of a shock as Devine had a strong spring and was thought to be one of Atlanta's primary set-up men.

0-walkoff.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Miguel said:

I think they're just making room for Thomson in the pen since he's not in the rotation now, but it's always a bummer for me to have to wait even longer for a great young pitcher to get a real shot.

Triumph

Banned
AstroLad said:
Damn, boo!
Seriously, what in the blue hell? As an Atlanta fan, we're better off with Devine in the pen than in the minors. Oh well, I'm sure it's all part of Bobby's master plan... RIGHT???

Joe

anyone care to post the gammons article about mariano being the most dominant player of this generation if bonds gets raped in this investigation?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Joe said:
anyone care to post the gammons article about mariano being the most dominant player of this generation if bonds gets raped in this investigation?

Here's all the relevant parts.

So, if the George Mitchell commission truly does its due diligence, putting the entire steroids era -- from the late 1980s in Oakland to the Rangers and Phillies of the early '90s to the blotch that is the post-strike era to what owners knew what and when, and whether owners aren't more culpable than players -- in its proper perspective, it might take us long past the Barry Bonds run to Henry Aaron, and whatever that now means.

And if we put what was once sport's most sacred record in the same category as the NHL assist mark, so be it. The fact that Bonds (third), Sammy Sosa (fifth), Mark McGwire (seventh) and Rafael Palmeiro (ninth) are at the top of the career home run leaderboard at worst depreciates the era's home run record.

If Bonds gets to No. 756, the record is his. No asterisk, perhaps little or no glory. In the real world, the record will not be about the romance of the game or fathers playing catch with their sons. It will be about greed, avarice, the hundred-something million Bonds made and the millions upon millions he made for the Giants, which includes his lasting legacy -- the best stadium in sports, which he built. In time, his legacy may stabilize, but at the present he has fanned the hysterical flames of the angry white faction in a sport whose (amateur) infrastructure has essentially closed the doors to African-Americans.

One can forever argue Bonds' place in baseball history. Yes, for nine years (1990-98) he was the best player in the game. Period. In an era when hundreds of hitters and pitchers were juiced, he was the best player.

But the public may never accept that, which raises the question: Who was the dominant figure of this era? Cases can be made for Roger Clemens and Greg Maddux (with Pedro Martinez not far behind), who in the five-man rotation, offensive era will be seventh and 10th all-time in wins -- presuming Maddux wins 12 more games.

Or one can make the argument for the most important Yankee of this glorious decade of four world championships, six pennants and nine first-place finishes, Mariano Rivera. In what is too often a slothful sports world, Rivera is the essence of elegance, like Sandy Koufax. He is always accountable. Modest. And, most of all, the model of reliability in a position that is the most difficult in terms of remaining reliable.

There is no question Rivera is the greatest reliever in the history of the sport, and what makes his 10-year record even greater is that, beginning as a rookie in 1995, he has pitched in 11 consecutive Octobers. Considering the most intense six-out work is always in September and October, to do what he has done is even more remarkable. In 1996, he was arguably the MVP setting up John Wetteland -- 107 2/3 IP, 73 H, 34 BB, 130 K. In the last nine seasons he has 374 saves. His postseason ERA is 0.81. 0.81.

Consider the volatility of the closer role. At this time last year, the White Sox had no idea Bobby Jenks would close out three October series and they have no idea today what he'll do this season. Eric Gagne became a dominant figure overnight, but the Dodgers don't know he'll be that good again.

Rivera is the definition of reliability in an unreliable role, the model of stability in a volatile era, the picture of modest distinction in an exhibitionist era and the most important player on the dominant team of the era.

He, not Bonds or any other slugger, deserves serious consideration as the poster boy of this era.

Gruco

Banned
Give Reitsma a few months until he falters due to overuse and we'll see Devine getting the role, no matter where he is now.

Miguel - Please stop posting that :(

Miguel

Gruco said:
Give Reitsma a few months until he falters due to overuse and we'll see Devine getting the role, no matter where he is now.

Miguel - Please stop posting that :(

I bet it makes both of us tear up...except mine are tears of happy.

Miguel

Taylor "Double H" Buchholz
(W, 2-2)
7.0 IP
5 hits
0 ER
0 Walks
6 Strikeouts
1.50 ERA

doubleh.jpg

"I AM THE THE FIFTH START-UH!!!"

Joe

the white sox are like the patriots, theyre gonna have to win 3 in a row, or 3 in 4 years to get respect.

Joe

ok theres 10 teams in the TSN salary cap league, thats enough to go with...

theres still spots available..

if you want to join

www.sportingnnews.com

create a new team, manually search for league GAF

password: steroids

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Miguel said:
Wait, you got tickets?

For the modest cost of $200 a ticket =x
But fuck it, this will probably never happen again. At least, not for the first time in 88 years. The Cell is going to be absolutely nuts.

Joe said:
the white sox are like the patriots, theyre gonna have to win 3 in a row, or 3 in 4 years to get respect.

What pisses me off is that ESPN isn't showing the banner raising. If this was the Red Sox or Yankees, they'd have 2 hours of pre-game coverage, and it'd be on ESPN and not ESPN 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom