• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB Thread - 2006 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
Baseball breaks attendance record
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
September 30, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Major League Baseball broke its season attendance record Saturday and was on track to finish with the second-highest per-game average in the sport's history.

Through Friday night, the 30 major league teams had drawn 74,922,200, just shy of the 74,926,174 fans who attended games in 2005, and the record was broken when Minnesota drew 46,219 against the Chicago White Sox in Saturday's first game. The average of 31,348 through Friday was on track to be the highest for a full season, topping 1993's 31,337. The only higher average was in the strike-shortened 1994 season, when baseball averaged 31,632 before players walked out in mid-August.

Yes, the wild card has worked. Yes, interleague play has worked. Yes, revenue sharing has produced parity, which has produced increased attendance in a lot of places," commissioner Bud Selig said. "It's all of the above."

The New York Yankees broke their own American League record, drawing 4,138,605 with two games remaining to top last year's 4,090,692. They joined Toronto (1991-92) as the only major league teams to draw 4 million twice and will finish with the second-highest total for a big league club behind Colorado's record of 4,483,350, set at Denver's Mile High Stadium in 1993, the Rockies' first season.

Six NL teams topped 3 million through Friday: the Los Angeles Dodgers (3,758,545), New York Mets (3,379,535), St. Louis (3,318,677), San Francisco (3,044,713), Chicago Cubs (3,044,123) and Houston (3,022,763). The Los Angeles Angels (3,318,739) were the only other AL team to break 3 million.

Florida (1,106,374) and Pittsburgh (1,801,031) were the only NL teams that failed to draw 2 million. Tampa Bay (1,368,950), Kansas City (1,372,638) and Oakland (1,976,625) fell short in the AL, with Cleveland set to top 2 million on the final weekend.

Amazing that all those teams in the last paragraph (except Oakland) did better than the Marlins...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-attendance&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dez

I know it's pretty sad that I'm happy about this.. but with the Red Sox loss, the Jays have clinched.. second place!

Joe

since i know everyone is following the AL batting title chase, jeter needs to go 2-4 and mauer needs to go 1-4 for jeter to win.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Dez said:
I know it's pretty sad that I'm happy about this.. but with the Red Sox loss, the Jays have clinched.. second place!

In the words of the late, great Dale Earnhardt, "Second place is just first loser, buddy."

What a miserable season. :(

Dr. Strangelove

I was hoping we would be able to make it through the playoffs without another goddamn steroid storyline for the talking heads to babble about.

Clemens on steroids? Color me shocked. Petitte, though, needs to get a refund. As for Tejada, not only would i believe he was on steroids, i also believe he's an old ****in man. If he's 29 im the Pope.

Dr. Strangelove

Ninja Scooter said:
Clemens on steroids? Color me shocked. Petitte, though, needs to get a refund.

:lol

Yeah really. People have been talking about Clemens as a potential roider for years now. I don't want to believe.

Tejada and Poopjuls are both 40 years old.

According to the 20-page search warrant affidavit signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, Grimsley told investigators he obtained amphetamines, anabolic steroids and human growth hormones from a source recommended to him by former Yankee trainer Brian McNamee. The former team trainer is a personal strength coach for both Clemens and Pettitte.

uh oh Stankees. I bet Jeter's on the juice too.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Yeah. The man juice. Amirite?

2005_11_arod.jpg

"I'm not here to talk about the past..."

According to the 20-page search warrant affidavit signed by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky, Grimsley told investigators he obtained amphetamines, anabolic steroids and human growth hormones from a source recommended to him by former Yankee trainer Brian McNamee. The former team trainer is a personal strength coach for both Clemens and Pettitte.

I just Googled that guys name and lookie here:

Throughout almost 18 major league seasons (the first 13 with the Red Sox and the next two with the Toronto Blue Jays), Clemens has been a fitness fanatic. He so refined his training sessions with Blue Jays strength coach Brian McNamee that Toronto catcher Darrin Fletcher nicknamed them "Navy SEAL workouts." Clemens won his fourth and record fifth Cy Young Awards with the Blue Jays and then was traded to New York following the 1998 season for lefthander David Wells, lefty setup man Graeme Lloyd and second baseman Homer Bush. After Clemens slipped to 14-10 with the Yankees in 1999, New York hired McNamee as its assistant strength coach. From July 2, 2000 (when Clemens returned to action after straining his right groin muscle), through Sunday, he'd gone 27-3 over 46 starts.

Sports Illustrated

WOW

NomarTyme

siamesedreamer said:
I just Googled that guys name and lookie here:

Throughout almost 18 major league seasons (the first 13 with the Red Sox and the next two with the Toronto Blue Jays), Clemens has been a fitness fanatic. He so refined his training sessions with Blue Jays strength coach Brian McNamee that Toronto catcher Darrin Fletcher nicknamed them "Navy SEAL workouts." Clemens won his fourth and record fifth Cy Young Awards with the Blue Jays and then was traded to New York following the 1998 season for lefthander David Wells, lefty setup man Graeme Lloyd and second baseman Homer Bush. After Clemens slipped to 14-10 with the Yankees in 1999, New York hired McNamee as its assistant strength coach. From July 2, 2000 (when Clemens returned to action after straining his right groin muscle), through Sunday, he'd gone 27-3 over 46 starts.

Sports Illustrated

WOW

Interesting, but I don't see what you're trying to say. :D

Ninja Scooter said:
check out who the Mariners are signing next season!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yimyfjcf2f4&mode=related&search=

Gyroball + Sexiro=World Series Champs.

Woah, I thought it was stuff only seen in Anime. :lol

Dr. Strangelove

I'd rather take my chances with Matsuzaka than any of the other free agent pitchers this offseason. He will cost a whole lot, but I think he has a lot more upside. He tore shit up in the WBC.

NomarTyme said:
Woah, I thought it was stuff only seen in Anime. :lol

Don't use the A word. It might draw out you know who, with anime pictures in tow.

Dr. Strangelove

Kuroyume said:
I wouldn't trust Japanese players if I were you.

The free agent market for pitchers this offseason is pretty weak. Zito has a Cy Young (that should've belonged to Pedro) but I've never been overly impressed with him. Schmidt is out there, but he's not exactly a young stud.

NomarTyme

Dr. Strangelove said:
I'd rather take my chances with Matsuzaka than any of the other free agent pitchers this offseason. He will cost a whole lot, but I think he has a lot more upside. He tore shit up in the WBC.

Don't use the A word. It might draw out you know who, with anime pictures in tow.

We share the same interest in Anime though. :lol

Joe

ted lilly is gonna get like a 25 million dollar contract and thats pretty ****ing scary.

yanks got the $$$ for matsuzaka but do they have the balls?

Dr. Strangelove

Joe said:
ted lilly is gonna get like a 25 million dollar contract and thats pretty ****ing scary.

yanks got the $$$ for matsuzaka but do they have the balls?

I think the Red Sox should sign Ted Lilly just so he'll stop owning the shit out of them everytime they face him.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
e: n/m, missed it on the last page.

But man, I have to think Pedro might be all but done as far as being a top tier pitcher. I'm not going to doubt modern medicine, but I can't see him being anything more than a #3 starter or worse when he comes back.
His small frame finally caught up to him it seems.

Oh and even though he is, after all, a genuine fan and has claimed his right in this MLB thread/best thread ever:

Angelus
Banned

:lol :lol :lol

Can't help it, I'm sorry. I'm a bad person.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
NomarTyme said:
Damn! Dodgers need to sign him PRONTO!!
I still think he's unproven for the money he will be getting. And I've read throwing a gyro can really do damage to your arm.

Meier

Poody said:
I still think he's unproven for the money he will be getting. And I've read throwing a gyro can really do damage to your arm.

I dunno, the guy has smoked everything he's gone up against.. I cant imagine him having a super long career though with hearing about throwing a 17-inning, 250-pitch complete game in high school. WTF?!

Dr. Strangelove

Eminem said:
But man, I have to think Pedro might be all but done as far as being a top tier pitcher. I'm not going to doubt modern medicine, but I can't see him being anything more than a #3 starter or worse when he comes back.
His small frame finally caught up to him it seems.

I think there's a chance he may just retire. Pedro is a very proud guy, and I don't think he would be the type of guy to hang around long if he was only going to be a 4+ ERA pitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom