• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
sefskillz said:
As for the Ducks naysayers, I don't think you understand, that airplane looking D is actually a webbed duck footprint.. get it?

I get it, but that other logo is better.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
:lol

AO rocks. Even with broken english he still made the crowd laugh 5x more than all of Ron's jokes put together.

calder

Wolf said:
Ugghh.

1980!!!? Hey Gary, how about throwing in a more...I don't know...current band?
We're lucky CBC isn't in charge, because we'd have to contend with a 40 minute Nickelback concert during the middle of the ceremony. :lol

aceface said:
Apparently Ruff won the Jack Adams- very deserving and couldn't have happened to a better guy. Here's to many more years of annoying Calder. :lol
DAMMIT. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see Ruff in interviews after the show trembling with suppressed rage at how badly the refs ****ed up by not calling Joe Thornton for a 5 minute major after Joe brushed past Briere on his way to the podium to accept the Hart.

joe_81204.jpg

"No no, of course I still wish the Bruins all the best and have no ill will towards Mike O'Connell and the Jacobs - bwahahahahaha, I'm sorry, I can't believe I almost said all that with a straight face!"

The awards went pretty much like I would have given them out, Ovechkin the Calder, Jumbo Joe gets the Hart, Kipper gets the Vezina (richly deserved), Jags gets the consolation Lester B. Pearson, Brind'Amour gets the Selke (I disagree with how they give it out, but it's what they always do), etc. I would have given the Norris to Niedermayer instead of Lidstrom, but either deserved it really.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
ovechkin_training.jpg

I called it all year, and it came to fruition. Sorry Sid - you're great, but not Alex the Great. Anyways, you get to play with Malkin next year so no worries.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Draft/2006/06/23/1649491-sun.html

VANCOUVER -- The talk is the Pittsburgh Penguins are getting ready to wheel and deal before tomorrow's draft.

The word is the Nashville Predators, trying to get into the first round, have offered prospect defenceman Shea Weber to the Penguins exchange for the No. 2 selection.

The Penguins have also had conversations with the Carolina Hurricanes about defenceman Jack Johnson. Carolina would use the pick to take Peterborough prospect Jordan Staal, the brother of Canes winger Eric Staal.
i PRAY this isn't true. I love Weber and was couting on him being with us for awhile.

Solo

I get to have my moral victory. I was calling Ovechkin all season amongst the Crosby circle jerk. Woohoo and stuff. :D

fallout

Solo said:
I get to have my moral victory. I was calling Ovechkin all season amongst the Crosby circle jerk. Woohoo and stuff. :D
Aren't you just as guilty of being part of the Ovechkin circle jerk? I never really understood why it was so important that one was better than the other. They've both been touted as amazing players and were indeed amazing players. Either player in a different year would probably win hands down in a rookie-race.

Yeah I think a lot of people here really bought into the Crosby hype and probably never even knew what an "Ovechkin" was until they saw him on the hilite reels night after night....

dem

everyone knew who ovechkin was... and most expected him to win the calder anyway..

doesnt change the fact that crosby > ovechkin

Solo

Actually, it does! Ovechkin has the hardware and the points to prove it. That hes cocky and arrogant is just icing on the cake. The NHL needs more players like AO and Kovalchuk.

dem

Ovechkin is 2 years older and was playing in a mens league before coming into the NHL.

Crosby came straight from junior and put up a 4 points less than Ovechkin.

Crosby > Ovechkin

I mean.. I was expecting Crosby to put up maybe 60 points last year.. and he came in and put up 102. Crosby is amazing.

dem

oh my god..
what the ****
this cant be happening..
Sportsnet.ca -- The Oilers' improbable run to the Stanley Cup finals may ultimately end with the trade of one of the team's biggest contributors: Chris Pronger.

According to Sportsnet sources, Chris Pronger wants out.

The defenceman is believed to have some personal issues that may be alleviated by a move.

why god.. why???!

**** I'd rather pay to watch Ovechkin play over Crosby any day of the week....points don't mean much at all...especially when you consider the dregs Ovechkin played with over the whole season....Ovechkin practically had 30 more goals and 50 more points than his closest teammate...Chris Clark...who? Brian Willsie...who?

dem said:
why god.. why???!

Awesome...:lol

dem

ForzaItalia said:
**** I'd rather pay to watch Ovechkin play over Crosby any day of the week....points don't mean much at all...especially when you consider the dregs Ovechkin played with over the whole season....Ovechkin practically had 30 more goals and 50 more points than his closest teammate...Chris Clark...who? Brian Willsie...who?

And Crosby finished off the year with waiver wire material putting up tons of points. It doesnt matter who Crosby plays with.

I will say Chris Pronger is one tough mofo......my cousin saw him bashing in many heads during his stay in Hartford at the local watering holes...

Reilly

ForzaItalia said:

Crosby had 22 points in his last 10 games playing alongside Colby Armstrong and Andy Hilbert. For fun, if you put that over an entire season, thats around 180 points.

Drensch

Course if we were to play that game, Svatos played about half as much as crosby and Ovechkin, got injured and still finished with 32g.

dem said:
And Crosby finished off the year with waiver wire material putting up tons of points. It doesnt matter who Crosby plays with.
You're right about that, he can play with the most average linemates and still put up incredibly points.

But could you imagine if he had a really good player trailing the play to feed into the slot on odd man rushes?

I dunno, someone like

CHRIS PRONGER

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
dem said:
everyone knew who ovechkin was... and most expected him to win the calder anyway..

doesnt change the fact that crosby > ovechkin
Your hockey insight is worse than Barrage, and that's saying something. Got any more gems you want to share with us?

IMG_2005-06-22-ovechkin2.jpg

OUT ON THE TOWN: Alexander Ovechkin snogging Sidney Crosby's sister, yesterday

edit: whoops, missed this particular gem about Pronger wanting out! How unbelievably perfect. It's like God wound up and fired a slapshot to dem's nuts. :lol
Mike Works said:
You're right about that, he can play with the most average linemates and still put up incredibly points.

But could you imagine if he had a really good player trailing the play to feed into the slot on odd man rushes?

I dunno, someone like

CHRIS PRONGER

pronger_chris060615.jpg

"Get me the **** outta this town!"

dem

fivehole.jpg

ON THE PROWL: After a successful season of whoring herself out to the BC Lions, Bishops mother turns her attention to the NHL .

I dunno, call me paranoid, but there was something about Chris Pronger in Game 6 and 7 of the SCF. After Edmonton's win in Game 6, everyone was happy or focused, but he just looked upset (as if he'd injured himself in the game). Same for Game 7 (before they lost). It was really weird.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
fallout said:
Yeah, sources like ... Al Strachan? I'm still calling bullshit.
Some guy from hockeybuzz (edit: andy strickland) was just on XM saying he had about a hour long conversation with Pronger last night, that this was personal family stuff that has been going on all season and the Oilers organization has been well aware of it.

calder

bishoptl said:
not Alex the Great
You spelled "GR8" wrong. If you're going to gobble Alex's knob, you gotta accept the nickname he picked for himself! ;)

ForzaItalia said:
Yeah I think a lot of people here really bought into the Crosby hype and probably never even knew what an "Ovechkin" was until they saw him on the hilite reels night after night....
:lol You're joking I assume. Every hockey fan with 3 functioning brain cells knew who the **** Ovechkin, and dem is right that most ppl who post in the NHL thread here DID predict Ovechkin winning the Calder before the year began.

calder

sefskillz said:
Some guy from hockeybuzz (edit: andy strickland) was just on XM saying he had about a hour long conversation with Pronger last night, that this was personal family stuff that has been going on all season and the Oilers organization has been well aware of it.

:( What is it about Edmonton that could be SO BAD that it forces everyone who gets stuck there to try to bail ASAP? Poor Greasers are going to be one of those teams that make the Finals then miss the playoffs badly the next year, book it!

nedved79.jpg

"The whole town smells like a tannery inside a lumber mill yet there's neither of those things there! We're leaving, Petr!"

fallout

sefskillz said:
Damn. :(

Yeah, my point still stands though. Al Strachan's logic still doesn't make a bit of sense.

ShutEye

LMAO at Pronger. His wife hates living in Canada right?

I wouldn't want to be a Ducks fan today either. I hate owners that make a point of sticking their faces in the media. Meddling ownership is a recipe for mediocrity.

dem

I can't believe this pronger shit is real... im at a loss for words... ****ing insane. Everyone is running with it now and no one is coming out to deny it. TSN got on the bandwagon too.

**** this sucks

If Florida wants to give up Luongo and Horton.. fine.. have Pronger. Otherwise... everyone **** right off.

I can't ****ing believe this is happening

Reilly

dem said:
I can't believe this pronger shit is real... im at a loss for words... ****ing insane. Everyone is running with it now and no one is coming out to deny it. TSN got on the bandwagon too.

**** this sucks

If Florida wants to give up Luongo and Horton.. fine.. have Pronger. Otherwise... everyone **** right off.

I can't ****ing believe this is happening

uh no. :lol

Florida will just sign Jovanovski this offseaon.

calder

It's great that the rumours are all but confirmed now, which means that everyone knows the Oilers are desperate and therefore will be lucky to get 60 cents on the dollar for any Pronger trade. :D

If Florida wants to give up Luongo and Horton
With Pronger sure to be sitting out of training camp demanding a trade? Jamie McLennan and Horton maybe. ;)

TSN.ca Staff

6/23/2006 3:54:54 PM

If Martin Havlat is going to sign with the Ottawa Senators, it is going to be for only one year.

Havlat's agent Allan Walsh said Friday his client is only interested in a one year contract, which could lead to him being traded out of Ottawa.

''Martin Havlat will be looking to sign a one-year deal and certainly is curious to see what kind of interest exists for him as an unrestricted free agent next summer,'' Walsh said.

Havlat had nine goals and seven assists in 18 games for the Senators this season. He missed 58 games to a shoulder injury and five more with a suspension. In ten playoff games Havlat contributed seven goals and six assists.

In 298 career regular-season games with Ottawa Havlat has 105 goals and 130 assists.
Interesting, could be a great idea for Havlat if he puts up the sick numbers he looked primed for this year before getting hurt. His playoff performance was good enough that he doesn't have to worry about maybe missing 30 games this year affecting the rich UFA offers for him that much, but I'm sure he could get a nice long term secure deal from the Sens now. Maybe he just wants to pick his team in 2 years.

dem

**** pronger.. hes signed... he has to play anyway.

this has got to be the wost week as an oiler fan.. ever.

Reilly

dem said:
**** pronger.. hes signed... he has to play anyway.

yeah, because every team wants players on their roster that don't want to be there. :lol

What did the Oilers give up for Pronger?

Lynch
Brewer
Woywitka

?

They won't get that much in return. How about Gonchar for Pronger? C'mon, you know you like Sergei :D

dem

Reilly said:
yeah, because every team wants players on their roster that don't want to be there. :lol

What did the Oilers give up for Pronger?

Lynch
Brewer
Woywitka

?

They won't get that much in return. How about Gonchar for Pronger? C'mon, you know you like Sergei :D

They wont get that much??? are you ****ing kidding me? They'll get twice that. The blues were a ****ing firesale.

They won't get as much as they normally would considering he's (allegedly) demanding out.

GM's will know that the Oilers will be desperate to get something for him while he's still hot property and that Edmonton will be ****ed if they can't get anything (they deem) worthwhile for them.

dem

ForzaItalia said:
I love this Pronger talk....and to think I was being called crazy:lol

You hardly came out of this looking like a genious. You said the Oilers might want to trade Pronger... not that Pronger wanted to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom