• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manics

Banned
calder said:
Did healy just say Staal was the youngest player ever to get 100 pts? Is he drunk? What a tool. :lol

I think Healy meant to say "the youngest Staal to ever get 100 points" :lol

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
Edit : Yeah, Samsonov finished with 53 points last year, and 23 goals. Let's see the Leafs.. which forwards would have this point total last year... mmmm...Sundin, Tucker, and Allison, and only Sundin and Tucker had more than 23 goals. Allison is gone.

So where would Samsonov play on this team? The third line?

53 points might be a great 1st or 2nd line player on the Leafs or Habs, but he's a 3rd liner on any team that's good. That's what I'm talking about.

dem

Last year didnt every team play on opening night?

They shoulda done that again this year.

Still another day till the Oilers trash the flames :(

LJ11

Karakand said:
Boohoo, I'm a dinosaur GM that doesn't want to adapt. Why can't I just buy all the talent like the old days?!?

The Devils move wasn't laudable but it was the correct one. Ever wonder why the Pacific has some damn good teams? Cap management. The Ducks purposely leave a decent gap in payroll just to avoid shit like this / have room to go after talent during the season.

Lamoriello is a ****ing joke. He was one of the key participants in getting the CBA structured yet he couldn't get his team under the salary cap legitimately. The NHL CBA is a joke as well. You can hide player salaries in the minors, this long term injury bullshit and other gimmicks GMs such as Sather will start using because of what Lamoriello did. The Rangers dumped players all over the place before the lockout and were under the cap by 12 million before the start of the '06 free agency. Sather is on record saying that if GMs start using cheap tactics to get under the cap, then it's open season for him to start doing the same. I'm a Rangers fan and don't want him to do what he did in the past but **** whose to say he won't. If Lamoriello can go around the CBA like he did, wtf was the lock out for? He kept Gionta around practicing with the team, when in years past he never let unsigned players into camp. Gionta signs this shitty 3 year deal, and we all know that he's told Gionta that he will give him some bigger contract in the future. I ****ing hate Lou and his team.

Lets go Rangers!!

What makes the Lou thing even crazier is that Jiri Fischer's salary is apparently still counting against the Wing's cap.
Det Free Press said:
The Wings' cap number is at $43.6 million, including $1,444,000 for Jiri Fischer. "I talked to the league a number of times and was given hope that Jiri Fischer would not count against the cap, but as it played itself out, there was nothing in the CBA to allow Fischer to be off the cap," general manager Ken Holland said.
Doesn't make sense to me...I have to assume that they would be able to go 1.4 mil over the cap limit.

Here are my predictions for the season :p

West

1 - Anaheim
2 - Detroit
3 - Dallas
4 - San Jose
5 - Calgary
6 - Nashville
7 - Edmonton
8 - Vancouver

East

1 - Ottawa
2 - Carolina
3 - New York Rangers
4 - Buffalo
5 - Philly
6 - Tampa Bay
7 - New Jersey
8 - Toronto

Someone save these, cause I'll be the one who is right in April

:D

rs7k

East

1 - Buffalo
2 - Carolina
3 - New Jersey
4 - Ottawa
5 - NY Rangers
6 - Montreal
7 - Philadelphia
8 - Tampa Bay

NinSoX

Banned
East-

1. Toronto

and the rest. GO LEAFS GO :lol

I really think Toronto might squeeze into the 8th seed by the end of the season and make it past the first round.

Lamoriello is a ****ing joke. He was one of the key participants in getting the CBA structured yet he couldn't get his team under the salary cap legitimately. The NHL CBA is a joke as well. You can hide player salaries in the minors, this long term injury bullshit and other gimmicks GMs such as Sather will start using because of what Lamoriello did. The Rangers dumped players all over the place before the lockout and were under the cap by 12 million before the start of the '06 free agency. Sather is on record saying that if GMs start using cheap tactics to get under the cap, then it's open season for him to start doing the same. I'm a Rangers fan and don't want him to do what he did in the past but **** whose to say he won't. If Lamoriello can go around the CBA like he did, wtf was the lock out for? He kept Gionta around practicing with the team, when in years past he never let unsigned players into camp. Gionta signs this shitty 3 year deal, and we all know that he's told Gionta that he will give him some bigger contract in the future. I ****ing hate Lou and his team.

There's nothing like the post-lockout world; now we've got a Rangers fan championing for the CBA and "fairness." If you're confused about why there was a lockout you need to bone-up on NYR history from 95-04 and be reminded of the damage their bumbling managment inflicted.

While Lou's moves were crafty, there's nothing illegit about them. The Malakov trade is basically a repeat of the Flyer-Kings trade last year with Roneick. The Sharks take NJ's headache and a 1st-rounder in exchange for a depth defenseman and one of the SJ's headaches (Korolyuk).

As for Molgilny, the Devils did everything that was asked of them. AlMo failed the team physical, they submitted the LTI claim and then the NHL had him evaluated by an independent physician who agreed that he was disabled from playing. End of story. If the Devils claim was bogus the IME would have determined so.

The rest of your bias rambling is not worth responding to.

What makes the Lou thing even crazier is that Jiri Fischer's salary is apparently still counting against the Wing's cap.

Did the Red Wings try to submit an LTI claim on Jiri? I know during the offseason the NHL expressed a lot of doubt to the local media about granting an injury exemption for Molgilny and it wasn't until the Devils submitted the claim that the case was actually reviewed. Has there been any update on Fischer's prognosis?

As for predictions, after last year's resuts I'm really not confident enough to say anything specific. I like the moves the Wild made and seem them returning to the playoffs. The Ducks (thank god they're no longer embarassingly "mighty") look loaded with young talent and grabbing Pronger (who was Conn Smyth-worthy in the playoffs) is insane. They can also trade Gigiuere if they discover any holes to fill. Other than the Panthers and Bruins, teams in the East seemed to make more subtle moves so it'll be worth watching how things shake out. Edmonton looks like it's in danger of slipping after all of the offseason defections, which is too bad. Colorado doesn't look like they'll be able to sustain their run any longer but I was thinking the same thing last year. Carolina looks like they'll fall back a little bit due to offseason defections but I give their GM a lot of credit for making the moves last year which put them over the top.

Karakand

LJ11 said:
You can hide player salaries in the minors

Maybe for other players but not Mogilny.

The Article said:
The new CBA included a clause that basically said any 35 and over player who signs a multi-year contract will count against the team's salary cap even if he retires or plays in the minors.

LJ11

KilledByBill said:
There's nothing like the post-lockout world; now we've got a Rangers fan championing for the CBA and "fairness." If you're confused about why there was a lockout you need to bone-up on NYR history from 95-04 and be reminded of the damage their bumbling managment inflicted.

While Lou's moves were crafty, there's nothing illegit about them. The Malakov trade is basically a repeat of the Flyer-Kings trade last year with Roneick. The Sharks take NJ's headache and a 1st-rounder in exchange for a depth defenseman and one of the SJ's headaches (Korolyuk).

As for Molgilny, the Devils did everything that was asked of them. AlMo failed the team physical, they submitted the LTI claim and then the NHL had him evaluated by an independent physician who agreed that he was disabled from playing. End of story. If the Devils claim was bogus the IME would have determined so.

The rest of your bias rambling is not worth responding to.

Did an independent physician declare him ready to play in the '05 season? No, the Devils staff did. Mogilny probably had this injury when he signed with the Devils originally, but we will never know because the Devs did the physical. They probably signed him knowing full well he had some type of injury, but were willing to take the risk because Lou knew about the loophole. Once Mogilny stunk the joint up boom dumped back to the AHL and LTI the following year.

I love the Malakhov deal. Let's trade a first round pick for 4 million in cap relief. :lol :lol The players sent to the Devils stink and won't play, so you basically have draft picks being traded for cap space.:lol Don't even compare this to the Roenick deal, because Roenick actually played in L.A. Malakhov has no intention on playing and he hasn't filed for retirement.

What's the story with Gionta? 4 million for 3 years. :lol :lol :lol :lol He would have made a lot more on the open market, but for some odd reason he refused to sign an offer sheet when other teams came knocking on the door. This smells like the Minnesota Timberwolves and Joe Smith "under the table deal."

As for Ranger mismangement. Yeah they ****ed up, but they never won a damn thing with a high payroll. We weren't the only ones spending like mad either. Lou's dealings don't break the rules of the CBA, but they break the spirit of the CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom