• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakhov

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
No, sorry but right now. Not to mention that your two tallest forwards are actually VERY soft as well....:lol
higgins_chris-get060306.jpg

ryder_78473.jpg

5218_3.jpg

4375_3.jpg

g_perezhogin_412.jpg

The future is oh so ****ing bright...

calder

bishoptl said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw

#3 on the list from my favourite defenceman ever. :)
Holy shit those are some big hits. Still something about him rubs me the wrong way though, and not just his borderline late/high hits (*cough*kariya*cough*) or his womanly blubbering post-game when someone he staples is taken off on a stretcher.

But if that clip showed me anything, it's that Ron Francis is the ****ing man. Watching him try to get up and make it to the bench 3 times while he's clearly 2 semi-functioning synapses from a mild coma-like state is unreal. Respect.

Ok, if that clip showed me anything else it's that Bob Cole has been totally missing the play for years now. :lol I mean, you'd think the #1 hockey announcer on HNIC would notice the biggest open ice hit in memory happen 20 feet from the puck.

fallout

calder said:
But if that clip showed me anything, it's that Ron Francis is the ****ing man. Watching him try to get up and make it to the bench 3 times while he's clearly 2 semi-functioning synapses from a mild coma-like state is unreal. Respect.
Hell yeah. You can tell that all he's thinking is "gotta get to the bench". He doesn't even seem to take into consideration the possibility that he could get a whistle called.

Ok, if that clip showed me anything else it's that Bob Cole has been totally missing the play for years now. :lol I mean, you'd think the #1 hockey announcer on HNIC would notice the biggest open ice hit in memory happen 20 feet from the puck.
I laugh ... and then it makes me think about the approaching hockey season. Then I cry a little.

Malakhov

Banned
MrToughPants said:
It's blinding it's so bright...

2005-11-14-heatley-in.jpg

spezza_79565.jpg

OTTJ111.jpg

sens_79092.jpg

sensgame.jpg

capitals-030206.jpg

kaigorodov-16.jpg

:lol

lee_54491.jpg

1996-97 Lost Conference Quarterfinal to Buffalo
1997-98 Lost Conference Semifinal to Washington
1998-99 Lost Conference Quarterfinal to Buffalo
1999-00 Lost Conference Quarterfinal to Toronto
2000-01 Lost Conference Quarterfinal to Toronto
2001-02 Lost Conference Semifinal to Toronto
2002-03 Lost Conference Final to New Jersey
2003-04 Lost Conference Quarterfinal to Toronto
2005-06 Lost Conference Semifinal to Buffalo

*yawn*

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
What have Montreal won since Roy left?

1992-1993 Won Stanley Cup
1993-94 Lost Conference Quarterfinal
1994-95 Did not qualify
1995-96 Lost Conference Quarterfinal
1996-97 Lost Conference Quarterfinal
1997-98 Lost Conference Semifinal
1998-99 Did not qualify
1999-00 Did not qualify
2000-01 Did not qualify

2001-02 Lost Conference Semifinal
2002-03 Did not qualify
2003-04 Lost Conference Semifinal
2005-06 Lost Conference Quarterfinal
2006-07 Will not qualify :lol

Wolf

GO HABS GO
MrToughPants said:
1992-1993 Won Stanley Cup

I'll take a Stanley Cup and a decade of suckage over a Cupless, "successfull" team any day of the week. I'm not sure what I'd enjoy more this year, another year of Ottawa being billed champions all year only to watch them yet again fall short of making the finals, or to see them bow out in the first round by a 8th seed Toronto squad.

The Ottawa Senators, all bark and no bite.

dem

Malakhov said:
Funny coming from an oilers fan :lol
Did your team find a semblance of a defence this summer? :lol

Oh im sure we'll pick up a dman..

but im not sure we'll need him

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Wolf said:
I'll take a Stanley Cup and a decade of suckage over a Cupless, "successfull" team any day of the week. I'm not sure what I'd enjoy more this year, another year of Ottawa being billed champions all year only to watch them yet again fall short of making the finals, or to see them bow out in the first round by a 8th seed Toronto squad.

The Ottawa Senators, all bark and no bite.

:lol Hab fans are all the same. To compensate for shitty scouting, mediocre prospects, and management you bring up the team's past success, over a decade ago!, as your beacon of hope and another team's failure as your guilty pelasure. :lol

"But we ganger 24 Stanley coupes! Your pourri team only won X cups we're les best isti! Le 'ockey it appartient to nous!"

aceface

For my money, Montreal is better than Ottawa. Gerber is nothing special, and if you can shut down Ottawa's best line (like Buffalo did in the playoffs) they're done. Huet scares me, and Montreal just seems to have a bunch of young, fast, and skilled no name forwards. I think Buffalo will win the division of course but at this point I'm more nervous about Montreal than Ottawa.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
calder said:
Holy shit those are some big hits. Still something about him rubs me the wrong way though, and not just his borderline late/high hits (*cough*kariya*cough*) or his womanly blubbering post-game when someone he staples is taken off on a stretcher.

I was thinking the same thing. Ron Francis is the man.
Kariya too. If I remember correctly, he scored a couple goals after that hit.

Most those hits were just asshole-ish. Stevens cut across his own dman in a lot of those hits to paste the guy. Some of them were the hit-ees fault (e.g. Lindros), but many weren't.

Btw, the Habs are a pretty good team...but soo boring.
I don't know why. Even though I'm not a fan of the Leafs, I find them pretty entertaining. Sens used to be boring, but are probably one of the most exciting teams in the league now.

I think the problem with the Habs when it comes to watching them play (as someone who's not a Habs fan) is that they just don't have any exciting personalities.

Vancouver - Naslund/Luongo
Calgary - Iginla/Kiprusoff
Edmonton - Smyth/Roloson
Toronto - everyone wants to watch them lose
Ottawa - everyone but chris neil, but even chris neil sometimes

Montreal's got Koivu, but he's not as dominating nor flashy as Iginla/Naslund, and doesn't get the shit beat out of him with a smile (in general) compared to Smyth. Montreal just hasn't had a marquee player since Patrick Roy.

Karakand

Pochacco said:
Kariya too. If I remember correctly, he scored a couple goals after that hit.

It was only one goal that game IIRC. He went to the locker room after the hit, came out a while later and scored after ten minutes or so. I'd be proud of him for that if he didn't go and sign with the ****ing Dives that offseason.

"Come back Paulie Boy. It'll be like old times! Karakand can bust out his old jersey."
teemuselanneppwa1.jpg

Wolf

GO HABS GO
MrToughPants said:
:lol Hab fans are all the same. To compensate for shitty scouting, mediocre prospects, and management you bring up the team's past success, over a decade ago!, as your beacon of hope and another team's failure as your guilty pelasure. :lol

"But we ganger 24 Stanley coupes! Your pourri team only won X cups we're les best isti! Le 'ockey it appartient to nous!"

We bring up 1993(or later depending on how old people are) because seeing your team overcome it all to become Stanley Cup Champions honestly holds you over pretty good.

You know you can wait it out because you've already experienced the ride and you can contently go to the back of the line and wait for your team's turn again.

As a Sens fan I don't expect you to understand though :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=134228
Move over Tiger, Alexander Ovechkin can play golf, too.

Ovechkin, the Washington Capitals star who won the Calder Trophy as the NHL's rookie of the year for 2005-06, aced the par-3, 160-yard fourth hole at the Springfield Golf and Country Club during Monday's Caps Care Classic charity tournament.

Ovechkin had several chances at the hole as he greeted groups all day long at No. 4 and played a shot with them. But given his lack of golf experience, it was surprising to see the 21-year-old Russian get the hole-in-one.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Cold-Steel said:
...and this is why no one likes the city of Toronto, the Maple Leafs, or its hockey fans.

He isn't even from Toronto. Make fun of Hamilton all you want though.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
R_GILL said:
He isn't even from Toronto. Make fun of Hamilton all you want though.

But he owns a part of the Leafs, and is obvosoly a fan of the franchise.

Anyways that clip is ****in funny. Boy that guy looks like an idiot. Even back then when the interview was recorded Gretzky had already broken records.

Socreges

Banned
TWO

MORE

DAYS

Don't let my lack of posting suggest anything short of BALLS UP SLAP HAPPY EXCITEMENT*

* conditional on Canucks' performance

I'm expecting a very good season, though

GO CANUCKS GO

Pochacco said:
Most those hits were just asshole-ish. Stevens cut across his own dman in a lot of those hits to paste the guy. Some of them were the hit-ees fault (e.g. Lindros), but many weren't.

Oh spare me. Were he an Oiler, you'd be jizzing your pants for years. He had a knack for the open ice hit, a skill that is evaporating nowadays and he NEVER pulled punches. He went after EVERYONE.

Scott Stevens >>>>>than any Oilers d-man of all-time!

ForzaItalia said:
Oh spare me. Were he an Oiler, you'd be jizzing your pants for years. He had a knack for the open ice hit, a skill that is evaporating nowadays and he NEVER pulled punches. He went after EVERYONE.

cmon man look at the Elbows!

Mike Works said:
Montreal just hasn't had a marquee player since Patrick Roy.

I'm not even that big a fan of his, but I have to recognize Latendresse's potential to become this kind of player. The kid's got grit, an attitude, can score goals, hits like a train... I think Montreal will be a lot more exciting this year with him in the lineup. Higgins is also very exciting to watch, to me.

Manics

Banned
Hitman said:
But he owns a part of the Leafs, and is obvosoly a fan of the franchise.

Anyways that clip is ****in funny. Boy that guy looks like an idiot. Even back then when the interview was recorded Gretzky had already broken records.

The Leafs used to be publicly traded and people could own shares in the team, thereby giving you "ownership" status. Meant squat in reality. Dick Beddoes was an idiot sportscaster, used to constantly dump on the Leafs any chance he got.

Alucard

Banned
Hmm, so both Staal and Letang are going to be in the Pens' lineup for the first little part of the season. If Staal really lights it up then I say keep him here, but I'd really just like him to get a taste of the NHL and then to send him back to the Petes for this season. We'll see how it goes.

And Fleury's starting on Thursday against the Flyers. Let's go Pens. We've actually had surprising success against Philly the last little while. But no Malkin = :(

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
ForzaItalia said:
he NEVER pulled punches. He went after EVERYONE.
Yep - and that's why he's my favourite defenceman of all time. Star or scrub 4th liner, if you were in Steven's sights, God help you.

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
I'm not even that big a fan of his, but I have to recognize Latendresse's potential to become this kind of player. The kid's got grit, an attitude, can score goals, hits like a train... I think Montreal will be a lot more exciting this year with him in the lineup. Higgins is also very exciting to watch, to me.

"Potential to become" and actually being a marquee player are two very different things. I've heard about endless numbers of Hab prospects who all had the potential to be marquee players but never went anywhere.

Manics said:
"Potential to become" and actually being a marquee player are two very different things. I've heard about endless numbers of Hab prospects who all had the potential to be marquee players but never went anywhere.
The last one who had the potential to be a marquee player, I think, was Saku Koivu. He kinda is, but not that much.

dem

Foreign Jackass said:
The last one who had the potential to be a marquee player, I think, was Saku Koivu. He kinda is, but not that much.

Remember Andrei Kostitsyn?

Would have been first overall... if it wasnt for them seizures!

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
ForzaItalia said:

Paul Coffey. But I digress.

I'm not saying those Stevens hits weren't clean (or awesome), but they really are asshole-ish. It's one thing to clip a guy who's head is down, but it's another to charge a guy who's busy trying to deke out your defensive partner. Hey, I'm not hating on Stevens.

It's kinda like LOST's Sawyer. Dude is a douche, but you still love him :D

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:

Isn't Komisarek supposed to be the next Larry Robinson and Andrei Markov the next Guy Lapointe? :lol

Barrage

Given that the dawn of a new season begins tomorrow, I say we wipe the slate of years past. By that, I mean GET RID OF MY ****ING TAG. No reason to live in the past. A simple "Turco=Vezina" will do just as well.

dem said:
Remember Andrei Kostitsyn?

Would have been first overall... if it wasnt for them seizures!
He was terrific this camp, almost took Latendresse's place. We'll see down the road. He went lower because of them seizures, but he was never supposed to be first overall.

Manics said:
Isn't Komisarek supposed to be the next Larry Robinson and Andrei Markov the next Guy Lapointe? :lol
I don't know any habs fan who would say this.

NinSoX

Banned
Excited about seeing a younger Leafs team with a different approach to the game tomorrow, even though they'll get pummeled by Senators. I just want to see guys like Steen and Wellwood develop :D

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Habs fans seem to be pissing me off more than Leafs fans these days (in fact I've had more arguments with Habs fans these past few months than Leafs fan) Habs fans are actually way over their heads whereas Leafs fans are actually more modest now, maybe the Habs need to miss a playoff or two rather than just squeaking by into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom