• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, pretty much the only difference in the game was the powerplay (for each team).

Granted, we weren't sending out our top PP units that often, but no matter who's on the ice, you need to get at least 1.

Flaherty should have been the number one star.

His performance was nothing short of incredible. Somehow I get the feeling this is one of those Jussi Markanen situations - does the good Wade or bad Wade show up?

Regardless, awesome game. Plenty of hitting, some great goals from both teams and probably some of the best hockey of the pre-season.

Martin Brodeur answers some questions:

Who's got the hardest shot in the league?

I think (Alexander) Ovechkin right now. But with the new sticks and new kids coming in bigger and stronger every year, it's kind of hard to really pinpoint one guy.

How do you not flinch when the puck's coming at you that fast?

When you don't see it, it's hard to flinch. Sometimes, I do, depending on where. It's all about surviving. You go out there and I wanna stop the puck. I can't keep my eyes off it. When you lose it and you know it's coming, that's where you flinch. But when you see it on the blade and you know it's coming, there's no flinching.

The guy you most fear facing on a breakaway?

For my money, I think (Jaromir) Jagr is probably the best player there is as far as the kind of moves and different things he can do to you. But the guys I have a lot of trouble, especially with the shootouts and everything now, (Miroslav) Satan is I think one of the guys.

Well, with a name like Satan (pronounced Sha-tan) ...

Big time. It's playing against the devil (laughs).

Best Scott Stevens hit you ever saw?

Against (Vyacheslav) Kozlov in Detroit in '95. That was crazy. That was one of his first big, big ones, too. But most of the hits Scott Stevens did, when he laid a guy out, I didn't see it because my job is to follow the puck. The guy (he hits) doesn't have the puck after, let's put it this way. So I'm looking in the corner and, boom, "Oh, he hit someone again."

Solo

Yay, after avoiding the boring off and preseasons, I can return to the NHL threads. Hopefully the Habs can fair a bit better this year.

Best Scott Stevens hit you ever saw?

Against (Vyacheslav) Kozlov in Detroit in '95. That was crazy. That was one of his first big, big ones, too. But most of the hits Scott Stevens did, when he laid a guy out, I didn't see it because my job is to follow the puck. The guy (he hits) doesn't have the puck after, let's put it this way. So I'm looking in the corner and, boom, "Oh, he hit someone again."
That hit was awesome. To quote Cherry, Koz looked "crucified" after he got laid out.

Barrage

I would've honestly accepted trading Ninimaa for a beaver's nipple. To get a functioning player for him is a plus, even if he was a....filthy Hab....

Plus, if he doesn't work out, I can just blame all the team's problems on him! It's a Win-Win!

Wolf

GO HABS GO
I know this isn't the norm Barrage, but I would actually like your honest opinion on Niinama.

From what I'm reading he had a horrendus season, but that was the result of being seriously hurt for most of it(torn ligaments in his ankles). Do you think he's a waste of space even when he's healthy?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wolf said:
I know this isn't the norm Barrage, but I would actually like your honest opinion on Niinama.

From what I'm reading he had a horrendus season, but that was the result of being seriously hurt for most of it(torn ligaments in his ankles). Do you think he's a waste of space even when he's healthy?

At his salary and the way he's been playing the last two seasons, he's not worth it, if he's able to regain his form and play the way he did in Edmonton, then I think it was a good trade overall, but even with Ribeiro's antics, you guys still lost a 50-60 point player. It was a bag of pucks for a bag of pucks trade, but right now I think Stars also got a hockey stick with that bag of pucks.

dem

I loved Niinimaa when he was on the Oilers...

That said.. even when he was on the Islanders he didnt look so great. His knees are gone as far as i know.

Karakand

Hannu Toivonen has a Slap Shot mask. Freakin' rad!

fullgetty71950111cl005bruinscanadi102929pmhz1.jpg

snapshot20061001112454pl6.png

I love Boston's jersey and color scheme, it's almost impossible for their goalies not to look cool, wearing black white and yellow.

Barrage

Wolf said:

Honestly, if you don't look at his salary Ninimaa is a past-his-prime defensive liability with occasional flashes of offensive talent. I would assume Montreal didn't trade for him due to his offensive capabilities, so I can't really understand thier reasoning, unless they want more puck turnovers.

WITH his salary, he's a ****ing waste.

dem

Are we going to bother with the sporting news fantasy hockey this year... or are we fully commited to yahoo now?

sporting news seemed like a flop last year

Zetterberg pulled off a sick move in the shootout tonight - like the one Jokinen did last year. Damn it's cool to see shooters try that...but you look like a chump if you miss.

Well Leafs lost to Detroit tonight 3-2 in a SO. I'd say the jury is still out as to whether Raycroft will do the job this season in the nets...

I heard Antropov got hurt tonight....what a shocker

Karakand

:lol He pulled it off!

http://www.saginawspirit.com/ss/home.nsf/public/9D277AC87E87E367852571FA0016BD13

The night also saw the unveiling of the newest Spirit mascot, Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle! The mascot made its first public appearance prior to the start of the game, following a message to Spirit fans from Stephen Colbert, host of Comedy Central's Colbert Report. The unveiling ceremony was taped for a latter nationally televised showing on the Report for a tentative date of October 2nd. The Report broadcasts Monday through Thursday on Comedy Central at 11:30 PM ET.

Malakhov

Banned
Awesome, just awesome. Ribeiro gone to Dallas, this just made my Sunday when I learned this on the news.

Niinima? Who the **** cares about Niinima, this isn't even the whole point of the trade in my opinion. You know what is though? Plekanec centering the second line.

This is Plek's year, emerge my son.

A051116_OT_MONTREAL_RADOST_V.JPG

60 points season for Plekanec with Samsonov and Ribeiro, you heard it here first.

Obviously it doesn't mean anything, but the Leafs lost twice with just about (?) their starting lineup to half a Wings team.

Might be a long season for Leaf fans...

Positives from this Preseason I'd say are the Wings young blue-liners. For the first time in years I feel like they actually have some good prospects coming up in Quincey, Kindl, and Ericsson. The D might not be all that bad when Lids leaves in a couple years. Lebda has looked awesome...if he doesn't get Lilja's 6th D spot it will be a crime against humanity. Maybe they will just sit old man Cheli out a bit.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Radulov is going to be heading to Milwaukee (AHL) tomorrow. Preds have 14 forwards on 1way contracts, so Radulov is just the oddman out. He'll be the first one up after an injury though, no doubt.

Manics

Banned
Malakhov said:
Awesome, just awesome. Ribeiro gone to Dallas, this just made my Sunday when I learned this on the news.

So much for Ribeiro as the next Lafleur that I kept hearing from Hab fans.

Malakhov

Banned
Manics said:
So much for Ribeiro as the next Lafleur that I kept hearing from Hab fans.
Wich Habs fans were you talking to? A lot of Habs fans wanted to see Ribeiro traded since last season. Don't get me wrong, not because he isn't a skilled player, he's very talented, but because he's a small forward who brings nothing else to our team, he's one dimensional.

Plekanec, on the other hand, is very skilled offensively and defensively and plays with effort on every shift, he's a heart and soul kind of guy.

Manics said:
So what does Plekanec get now that Ribeiro is gone?
His second line center spot.

He already played his first game with Samsonov and Kovalev on Sathurday, the line got 7 points in the third period.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Ugh, I agree dem.

wtf is the point of that ginormous "view the frozen moment" banner link that just brings you to a picture titled "the frozen moment" and nothing else

dem

BREAKING NEWS on tsn

A group of dissident NHL Players’ Association members, led by Detroit’s Chris Chelios, are reportedly filing a law suit against NHLPA executive director Ted Saskin today. Details to follow...

Manics

Banned
Malakhov said:
Wich Habs fans were you talking to? A lot of Habs fans wanted to see Ribeiro traded since last season. Don't get me wrong, not because he isn't a skilled player, he's very talented, but because he's a small forward who brings nothing else to our team, he's one dimensional.

Plekanec, on the other hand, is very skilled offensively and defensively and plays with effort on every shift, he's a heart and soul kind of guy.

His second line center spot.

He already played his first game with Samsonov and Kovalev on Sathurday, the line got 7 points in the third period.

Some delusional Habs fan that went by the handle KoZus or KoZed on some hockey boards. Guy was praising Ribeiro since he was in the minors, and I told him he'd be shit. KoZed, I'm laughing at you now.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
dem said:
They've redesigned nhl.com

and somehow its even worse than before.

How is that even possible?

Oh wait, I just looked at it, Jesus the web designer needs to be shot.

Manics said:
So what does Plekanec get now that Ribeiro is gone?

His overrated tag....

Malakhov said:
Don't get me wrong, not because he isn't a skilled player, he's very talented, but because he's a small forward who brings nothing else to our team, he's one dimensional.

You pretty much summed up every Montreal forward...

Kingpen

And Jordan Staal makes the penguins opening night roster today....

Looks to be for a 9 game tryout, but if he lights things on fire, then I'm sure they will let him stick around.....

#1 on my list Bish.....

I remember him with an open ice hit on Pat Flatley in that 1987 Game #7 marathon game versus the Islanders when Lafontaine scored the OT winner...crazy hit....and I saw Pat Flatley about a week ago as well...:lol

Alucard

Banned
Kingpen said:
And Jordan Staal makes the penguins opening night roster today....

Looks to be for a 9 game tryout, but if he lights things on fire, then I'm sure they will let him stick around.....

They better start winning some games. :-\ Another crappy season and I just wouldn't know what the heck was wrong with this team. Please, please, please give the fans some hope.

djkimothy

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, Kubina has been suspended on his cross-check on Hudler. He'll miss 1 game.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179665&hubname=

TSN said:
Toronto Maple Leaf defenseman Pavel Kubina has been suspended for the first game of the regular season as the result of a cross-checking incident on Detroit Red Wings player Jiri Hudler during a pre-season game, October 1.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Kubina will forfeit $26,737.97. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

It looks like he'll fit right in with teh Leafs. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom