• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So the canes finally got rid of Jack Johnson

Johnson and Tverdovsky for Gleason and Belanger

can't say I would be too happy with that trade if I was a canes fan

GSG Flash said:
So the canes finally got rid of Jack Johnson

Johnson and Tverdovsky for Gleason and Belanger

can't say I would be too happy with that trade if I was a canes fan

Yeah, WTF...so they trade a big prospect and a fairly good defenseman...for an unremarkable defenseman and a 6th line center? There has to be something more to this than a salary dump, right?

I'm not even a canes fan and this strikes me as problematic.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
ShutEye said:
Damn you beating me Mr. Tough Pants.
And damn your pants. so tough. (cry, cry)

A back end of Meszaros, Volchenkov, Lee, Johnson could have been so great...

brashear_mcgrattan_hor.jpg

Barrage

Nothing happened. He's still the leader of this team and one of the best players to ever lace up. To be honest, this decision caught me by surprise. Morrow's Captainship was inevitable, but I assumed it would happen when Modano retired. It's not like Modano is a broken-down figurehead Captain, either(i.e. Yzerman)-if he doesn't get 80 points this year, I'll be surprised. Hopefully this doesn't cause any friction with Mike-it wasn't too long ago when I was afraid he would be wearing a Bruins uniform(shudder).

P.S.: I'm pissed that the Stars sent all of the kids down again this year. Junior Lessard is 26, how much more is the ****er gonna learn in the AHL? JR and Eriksson are in the minors, yet I have to watch Tjarnqvist and Ninimaa stink it up every game? **** that. I thought we waived Guerin for the extra cap space. Bullshit.

On the plus, Smith is the backup goalie!!!! HOMETOWN HERO, SON!

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Facking LA.
I was hoping K-Lowe would go after Jack Johnson; doesn't look like it would've taken much.

Oh, and do I feel bad for Conklin?...*thinks back to game1 of SCF*...nope!

aceface

Apparently Ron MacLean is officiating the Pens/Sabres preseason game tonight. I can just see Colin Campbell saying "fine you ****, you ref the damn game."

Wolf

GO HABS GO
latendresse.jpg

#84 has arrived. Great news. Infact I think the timing of this was planned by Gainey. Sign Traverse and piss off EVERYONE, then sign Latendresse the next day and make everyone happy again.

Gainey's a smart man.

I drafted my fantasy team in a league of 16 last night I think I ended up with something good:

Shanahan - Crosby - Afinogenov
Straka - J. Carter - Satan
Calder - Umberger - Lupul
( Stillman (I.R.) - * - Glen Murray)

Niedermayer - Hannan
Phillips - Rozsival

Lundqvist
Esche

Lots of young, improving talent in Carter, Calder, Umberger, Lupul and of course Crosby, a proven scorer in Shanahan and Satan, couple of gambles with Afinogenov, Murray and Straka. The defence isn't the biggest points getting back end, though Niedermayer is going to put up good numbers, but their all guys in the top two of their respective teams depth charts. And Lundqvist has been solid this preseason, and Esche is the number one in Philly. All in all I like my team.

Giard said:
There are not enough reactions to this post!

I agree. Enough of this Latenstiff dude. Konowalchuk is one player I've always loved because he brought it every night. EVERY team needs a guy like that. Grit, determination and had some skill to boot as well...

Barrage

ESPN Team Rankings said:
Theodore was fine and outplayed Marty Turco in the first round of the playoffs, but let's be honest: Pretty much anyone who plays Turco in the playoffs does that

**** YOU ESPN **** YOU

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
ESPN said:
Yes, you don't take a 6-foot-9, 260-pound monster away from your blue-line corps without some repercussions. But the Senators actually might be better as a whole on the back end by adding Corvo and Preissing to fill that Chara gap. Preissing had a break-out year in San Jose and came as part of the Havlat deal after posting 43 points and a plus-17 while averaging 20:29 a night in ice time. Corvo might turn out to be an even better addition. While Lubomir Visnovsky was getting all the ink in Los Angeles last season (he led the Kings with 67 points), Corvo had a big hand in his defense partner's success, adding 40 points on his own and turning in a remarkable plus-16 on a bad Kings team. Throw in Norris Trophy hopeful Wade Redden, Chris Phillips and Andrej Meszaros, who led all rookies with a plus-34, and this is as good a defense as there is the conference, maybe the NHL. Murray will want to shore up a penalty-killing unit that was curiously 18th overall.

WHERE THEY'LL FINISH

1st

The Senators' offensive depth is too much for teams in the East and Ottawa again finishes first in the Northeast and the Eastern Conference

"TRISTAN COCKCROFT'S FANTASY SPIN"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
apparently malkin is skating now and will accompany the pens to buffalo

*hears kingpen and alucard cheering and planning the parade route*

pops619

It's still a long shot, but I really hope Malkin can play in the opener on Thursday. The arena is going to explode when he is announced, followed by Crosby. There was such a great atmosphere for the home opener last year. This year's might not be quite as great, but there's still nothing like the start of the hockey season. I've been watching for this pretty much since last season ended. I was there for Sid's first goal last year, hopefully I can say the same about Evgeni.

Malakhov

Banned
The Habs will stay close to Ottawa, but don't have enough for a division title. But they're good enough to finish second in the ultra-competitive Northeast Division and earn the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference.
Even with Raycroft on track, the Leafs will have too much ground to make up on the teams ahead of them. Fourth in the Northeast and ninth in the conference.
Rock on.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
veryone's been feeling sorry for the Oilers because players couldn't wait to get out of town at the end of their run to the Stanley Cup finals.
But what many people have overlooked is that the Oilers may not need anyone to play defense if the offense makes good on its potential.

Remember the days when the Oilers used to win 6-5 and never worried about having a team GAA over 4.00? Well, no team in the NHL will ice a more potentially potent forward group as the Oilers.
Win or lose, Oiler games are bound to be damn entertaining!
Unless MacT uses the trap lots, which is possible.

calder

MA Fleury has a 4.39 gaa and a .827gaa in the preseason and is in danger of getting sent down to the AHL again? Yikes has his stock dipped since his draft year or what, but he's still pretty young I guess. I'd be getting pretty worried about him if he was a 1st overall pick of my team though. :p

Barrage

In a completely unrelated note, I will now listen to any and all trade offers for MAF in the GAF Roto league. Better snatch him up quick Pens fans-I think this could be the year!

Wolf

GO HABS GO
ESPN Team Rankings: said:
Theodore was fine and outplayed Marty Turco in the first round of the playoffs, but let's be honest: Pretty much anyone who plays Turco in the playoffs does that.

:lol

calder said:
MA Fleury has a 4.39 gaa and a .827gaa in the preseason and is in danger of getting sent down to the AHL again? Yikes has his stock dipped since his draft year or what, but he's still pretty b]young I guess. [/b]I'd be getting pretty worried about him if he was a 1st overall pick of my team though. :p

Fleury is still young, period. Playing infront of Pens defence doesn't help either. I'd say he still has a few more years until he's ready to be a soild, consistent #1 goalie.(if at all).

dem

emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired defenceman Janne Niinimaa and a 5th round pick in 2007 from the Dallas Stars, in return for forward Mike Ribeiro and a 6th round pick in 2008.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol x 10000

WOOOOOO!!!! RIBS FINALLY DEALT!! AND TO DALLAS OF ALL PLACES!

HAVE FUN BARRAGE

dem said:
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif
emot-siren.gif

The Montreal Canadiens have acquired defenceman Janne Niinimaa and a 5th round pick in 2007 from the Dallas Stars, in return for forward Mike Ribeiro and a 6th round pick in 2008.

:lol

good stuff i hated that mouse faced, injury faking bastard. i guess habs fans can now stop defending him.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
ribs.jpg

"my world...shatterted..."

martycandid.jpg

"hey don't worry, Dallas rewards us inconsistent, playoff chocker's with juicy, long term contracts!"

42.aspx

Kingpen

Barrage said:
In a completely unrelated note, I will now listen to any and all trade offers for MAF in the GAF Roto league. Better snatch him up quick Pens fans-I think this could be the year!

Sent you a trade offer....

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Kovalchuk just got a 10 min game misconduct, 10 min attempt to injure and got kicked out of the game for kicking his skates at a Preds player (tootoo) while he was down on the ground. Crazy bastard!

SA-X

sefskillz said:
Kovalchuk just got a 10 min game misconduct, 10 min attempt to injure and got kicked out of the game for kicking his skates at a Preds player (tootoo) while he was down on the ground. Crazy bastard!
:lol awesome.

toro5741

Wolf said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol x 10000

WOOOOOO!!!! RIBS FINALLY DEALT!! AND TO DALLAS OF ALL PLACES!

HAVE FUN BARRAGE

After a couple games watching Niinimaa, you might be wishing you still had Ribeiro.

Listening to the game on the radio, seemed like the 'Nucks really took it to the Oilers all game.

It also sounded like Flaherty was playing amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom