• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manics

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Habs fans seem to be pissing me off more than Leafs fans these days (in fact I've had more arguments with Habs fans these past few months than Leafs fan) Habs fans are actually way over their heads whereas Leafs fans are actually more modest now, maybe the Habs need to miss a playoff or two rather than just squeaking by into it.

The only "Leaf fans" you'll find who are loud-mouthed idiots are the younger crowd who haven't had the years and years of futility beaten into them like us older guys have. The older Leaf fan is very cynical about the team, and although we support them to the end, we're under no illusions that they're any good right now. Hab fans all seem to fall under the younger idiot crowd who seem to think they have a dynasty in the making.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I think Schremp's cut was more about the Oilers' offensive depth and less about Schremp's abilities. He's not gonna be a phenom like Crosby or anything, but the potential to be a great player (e.g. Spezza, which is VERY optimistic of course) is still there.

dem

Foreign Jackass said:
There are retard fans everywhere. Even Dem said somewhere that Schremp would be a key element of his team this year. He didn't even make the club. :lol

For the record... I knew Schremp wouldnt make the team this year once we got Sykora and I've always been in favour of him playing in the AHL. I'll just use any excuse to pimp Mr America and post this picture.

rschremp.jpg

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Manics said:
The only "Leaf fans" you'll find who are loud-mouthed idiots are the younger crowd who haven't had the years and years of futility beaten into them like us older guys have. The older Leaf fan is very cynical about the team, and although we support them to the end, we're under no illusions that they're any good right now. Hab fans all seem to fall under the younger idiot crowd who seem to think they have a dynasty in the making.

Yeah that's true, I have a lot of Leafs fan but they only talk trash on gamedays and when they actually have something to talk trash about (like if they beat us in a game or the countless times they've knocked us out of the playoffs ;( ), whereas the Habs fans I know (who are exactly like the Habs fans on this board and like almost every Habs fan I've ever talked to) talk trash all the time but have nothing to back it up with except their last cup win over a decade ago.

I'm optimistic about the Habs this year. Optimistic doesn't mean I think we'll win the cup. But I think we'll make the playoffs without too much trouble. We got rid of dead wood like Bulis and Zednik, got Mike Johnson and Samsonov, and the youngsters are getting better (Higgins had a terrific second half last year, Latendresse might be surprising, Ryder, Plekanec, etc..). After that, who knows.

So the Leafs only manage to score 21 goals in 8 pre-season games (2.6 per game)... oh joy, this is going to be a fun season with Maurice, good thing Ferguson picked him instead of Crawford. Real smart. Might as well change the name of the team to Toronto Wild or Jersey North.

FightyF

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
There are retard fans everywhere. Even Dem said somewhere that Schremp would be a key element of his team this year. He didn't even make the club. :lol

Out of their roster, who would you keep in?

I went to their training camp, and saw this talent first hand. Other Canadian teams would kill for 4th liners like Stortini or Brodziak. Heck, they'd kill for Schremp.

I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the fact that Dem was praising Conklin at the beginning of last season. If the regular season wasn't enough to make his comments look dumb, the post-season certainly did. :p

I feel so sorry for that guy. :p

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
got Mike Johnson and Samsonov, and the youngsters are getting better (Higgins had a terrific second half last year, Latendresse might be surprising, Ryder, Plekanec, etc..). After that, who knows.

See what I mean?

dem

Fight for Freeform said:
I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the fact that Dem was praising Conklin at the beginning of last season. If the regular season wasn't enough to make his comments look dumb, the post-season certainly did. :p

I feel so sorry for that guy. :p

I was NOT PRAISING CONKLIN. *shakes fist*

I know i said CONKLIN FOR VEZINA once.. but that was a joke.

Manics said:
See what I mean?
I don't see what's wrong with them. Mike Johnson is a great 3rd line player (that's where he's gonna be in our team), and Samsonov is a good risk to take. The guy had a great start to his career, it went downhill afterwards, but he's certainly better than either Bulis or Zednik. So, well, our team is better than last year. And last year we fell to the Stanley Cup champs on opening round. So what's your point again?

Manics

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
I don't see what's wrong with them. Mike Johnson is a great 3rd line player (that's where he's gonna be in our team), and Samsonov is a good risk to take. The guy had a great start to his career, it went downhill afterwards, but he's certainly better than either Bulis or Zednik. So, well, our team is better than last year. And last year we fell to the Stanley Cup champs on opening round. So what's your point again?

Mike Johnson is a Leaf castoff and Samsonov is a 3rd liner at best. Basically Bulis + Zednik = Johnson + Samsonov.

You lost in the first round period. The fact that the Hurricanes then went on to win the Cup doesn't mean the Habs were suddendly the 2nd best team in the conference.

Actually Manics I have to disagree with you. Johnson and Samsonov are great fits because they both cover the two main prerequisites of being a Habs forward. One is a marshmallow and the other a hobbit....

Manics said:
Mike Johnson is a Leaf castoff and Samsonov is a 3rd liner at best. Basically Bulis + Zednik = Johnson + Samsonov.

You lost in the first round period. The fact that the Hurricanes then went on to win the Cup doesn't mean the Habs were suddendly the 2nd best team in the conference.
I didn't imply this. And for exactly which team did Samsonov play on a 3rd line? I know Johnson is a castoff, but with the way the Leafs look this year, I bet they'd be better off if they'd kept him.

Edit : Yeah, Samsonov finished with 53 points last year, and 23 goals. Let's see the Leafs.. which forwards would have this point total last year... mmmm...Sundin, Tucker, and Allison, and only Sundin and Tucker had more than 23 goals. Allison is gone.

So where would Samsonov play on this team? The third line?

Pochacco

Samsonov was a bit of a dissapointment on the Oilers last year, but he still contributed some decent numbers, scored/assisted some ABSOLUTE beauties (with hemmer especially), and wasn't a defensive liability. He's a great player.

Karakand

BigJonsson said:
GO DUCKS GO!!!

WORD MAH BROTHA!!! OC SURF BIRDS FOR THE ****ING WIN.

capt0fec98412d514866b53dffda14c0d57cmightyduckscanuckqk7.jpg

png106100103lowerea0.jpg

capt770508ab6fe54148ab43aa43105eb5f5mightyduckscanuckyc1.jpg

20060930ckrsz6393lowerzk8.jpg

When I was looking for photos for this post I stumbled across this. I really, really, really need to live in the Phoenix area for a while...

20060930ckrsz6394lowergo3.jpg

ForzaItalia said:
Lou Lamoriello has other NHL GMs pissed off :lol :

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?ID=179719

Not surprised. It's a hell of a swindle he pulled:
-Finally got Doctors convinced that Mogilny is never playing again. That's +3.5m
-Managed to convince the Sharks that taking Malakhov's salary was worth the 1st round pick, and in the process took two "ghost players" off their hands. It's basically the most roundabout "cap space for future considerations" deal I've ever seen, and it's totally legit.

Pochacco

Gionta signs for 3 years, ~$4 million? wtf.
Dude nearly had 50 goals last year 0_o

I'd be pissed off at Lou as well. He's one ugly mother****er. Seriously.
lou_73308.jpg
lou_73308.jpg

lou_73308.jpg
lou_73308.jpg

lou_73308.jpg
lou_73308.jpg

Wolf

GO HABS GO
I love how GSG and Manics are trying so hard to label the Hab fans here the "new leaf fans", when not a single Hab fan on this board has homered out and declared dominance and a Stanley Cup to Montreal this year. YEAH, were really idiotic and delusional with are humble expectations of a better season then last! Such arrogance!, who the hell do we think we are! :lol

Manics said:
LAST SEASON
Johnson = 80GP 16G 38A 54PTS
Samsanov = 75GP 23G 30A 53PTS

Bulis = 73GP 20G 20A 40PTS
Zeds = 67GP 16G 14A 30PTS

Manics buddy stick to talking about the Leafs...

Karakand

ForzaItalia said:
Lou Lamoriello has other NHL GMs pissed off :lol :

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?ID=179719

Boohoo, I'm a dinosaur GM that doesn't want to adapt. Why can't I just buy all the talent like the old days?!?

The Devils move wasn't laudable but it was the correct one. Ever wonder why the Pacific has some damn good teams? Cap management. The Ducks purposely leave a decent gap in payroll just to avoid shit like this / have room to go after talent during the season.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Mike Works said:
Can we make as many posts as possible so I won't have to scroll past that ****ing gay Shremp picture anymore.
:lol

... ive done my part

radulov sent to milwaukee today. timmonen named captain.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Wolf said:
DOMI STOP TALKING YOU ****ING HACK

If Domi makes it past the all-star game I'm boycotting TSN

I don't think he's that bad compared to Healey.

He's no Brunet though that's for sure! :lol

calder

Did healy just say Staal was the youngest player ever to get 100 pts? Is he drunk? What a tool. :lol

In addition to the normal preseason predictions (which I'll make later, after someone else posts their in a handy-to-quote format) I'm going to post my "which Cinderella story goalie will lose his starter's job first this season?" pool odds.

Cam Ward [6 to 1]-- trendy pick of some hockey writers, and it's easy to see why. He was good but not exactly Patrick Roy in the playoffs last year, only got the starts he did because Gerber got sick, won a Cup and got the Conn Smyth (robbing Pronger, who any idiot could see deserved it) to boot. I wholly agree what some website said earlier this week: Cam Ward is in line for the mother of all sophomore jinxes. Still, he'll muddle through an average year on a good team.

Rollie the Goalie [3 to 1] -- 35 year old career "1B" goalie gets traded and goes on a miracle run in the playoffs, then goes down with a bad injury in the Finals? Yeah, he's fading fast this year. Keep in mind in the regular season with Edmonton last year he had an amazing 8-7-4 record to finish the year 14-24-5. Can't believe how many ppl seem to be forgetting that. :lol With that defense his GAA will hover around 4 I'm betting.

Cristobal Huet [2 to 5] -- runaway favourite to be the first goalie to lose his #1 starter job. Came out of nowhere, had several horseshoes shoved up his ass on a statistically unlikely shutout run, couldn't close out the 'Canes in the first round and has looked just plain awful in the preseason. I'd put money down that Aebischer is the starter by November 10th. This time next year HC Lugano fans are pumped about Huet's return.

dem said:
TSN is in agreement

the leafs and habs blow

OILERS ARE AWESOME
TSN doesn't even mention that Latendresse will play for the habs. They mention him as one of the last candidates remaining. You heard it here first, he'll score 15-20 goals, minimum.

dem

Foreign Jackass said:
TSN doesn't even mention that Latendresse will play for the habs. They mention him as one of the last candidates remaining. You heard it here first, he'll score 15-20 goals, minimum.

They mentioned him.. and they said he's 19 so you can't throw him into the fire and expect much.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Mike Works said:
Can we make as many posts as possible so I won't have to scroll past that ****ing gay Shremp picture anymore.

jessicaalba.gq.april2005.1.sm.jpg
christina_aguilera_02.jpg

There, felt an obligation to make sure this thread ended on the right note.

Alucard

Banned
I shall not post in the upcoming NHL Season thread until Pittsburgh wins its first game. Hopefully see you guys Thursday night.

May16

Oh, excellent. Sabres vs. Habs Friday. My girl being a Montreal fan and me being a Buffalo fan, we have developed some incredibly sexy games to play when the Habs and Sabres collide. For me, there are no losers when these two teams play. :D

May16 said:
Oh, excellent. Sabres vs. Habs Friday. My girl being a Montreal fan and me being a Buffalo fan, we have developed some incredibly sexy games to play when the Habs and Sabres collide. For me, there are no losers when these two teams play. :D

Did you pull a Scott Stevens on her?

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
I love how GSG and Manics are trying so hard to label the Hab fans here the "new leaf fans", when not a single Hab fan on this board has homered out and declared dominance and a Stanley Cup to Montreal this year. YEAH, were really idiotic and delusional with are humble expectations of a better season then last! Such arrogance!, who the hell do we think we are! :lol

Manics buddy stick to talking about the Leafs...

Let's see what their point totals are THIS year while playing on such a dominating high-scoring team like the Habs. I pencil Mike Johnson in for a good 35 point season, Samsonov maybe 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom