• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

Manics said:
You mean unlike Montreal papers who never have a front page headline dealing with Habs garbage?

Jose Theodore Hell's Angels anyone? :lol

:lol

The Toronto Star damn near doubles the Sun in sales and has done so for YEARS. It's easily the best selling paper in Canada.

I don't see how this is any less legit then the Ryder Cup front page on Monday, or a ****ing Leafs preseason cover last week. As Manics said, Belinda Stronach is what really makes this story, and frankly a legit case could be made that this is very newsworthy since she is a public official.

Besides, no one in this town had any problem giving that hack Domi 20 minutes of sports news coverage and 15 pages of ink after he retired. Frankly he got off light on the three pages. :lol

Oh BTW, let's see what the far more civil, so-far leaning-to-the-left-Star-my-neck's-gonna-get-a-****ing-crik-looking-at-it did with it's front page today...

STAR_2006-09-26_A01-NE01.jpg

Holy shit! It's on the front page too! Albiet it isn't covering up the entire cover like the Sun, but it's still a big enough story in their eyes to throw it on A1.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Shinobi said:

The Toronto Star damn near doubles the Sun in sales and has done so for YEARS. It's easily the best selling paper in Canada.

I don't see how this is any less legit then the Ryder Cup front page on Monday, or a ****ing Leafs preseason cover last week. As Manics said, Belinda Stronach is what really makes this story, and frankly a legit case could be made that this is very newsworthy since she is a public official.

It's the way it presented, and the way its written that makes it much, much less legit than anything else you listed Shinobi. Did you read the excerpts that Alucard posted? They put the national inquirer to shame.
Besides, no one in this town had any problem giving that hack Domi 20 minutes of sports news coverage and 15 pages of ink after he retired. Frankly he got off light on the three pages. :lol

His retirement has gotten more coverage than Yzerman's :lol

Oh BTW, let's see what the far more civil, so-far leaning-to-the-left-Star-my-neck's-gonna-get-a-****ing-crik-looking-at-it did with it's front page today...
Holy shit! It's on the front page too! Albiet it isn't covering up the entire cover like the Sun, but it's still a big enough story in their eyes to throw it on A1.

I get your point, but It's still far more civil than
torsuncoverlarge.jpg

Shinobi

I read the whole article in the paper...I honestly didn't see a problem with it. Maybe that's because I've developed a hate on for this fraud over the last year or two, but I just don't see how it's any worse then the usual trash the media generally spits out. At least in this case I'm getting entertained. :lol

Shinobi said:
I read the whole article in the paper...I honestly didn't see a problem with it. Maybe that's because I've developed a hate on for this fraud over the last year or two, but I just don't see how it's any worse then the usual trash the media generally spits out. At least in this case I'm getting entertained. :lol

Man I've hated this dude for ages and it's funny how many people come up to me now and admit they were frauded by this guy. That Sun pic only proves how ugly he is. :lol

So here's my story:

A buddy of mine used to work at a club called "Easy and the Fifth" here in Toronto and at one time a lot of the Leafs would show up there after games, etc. One night Domi approaches my buddy and says:

"See that blonde at the bar? If she comes asking for me, tell her I'm upstairs talking to the management."

*Tie slips him $50*

My friend says: "If she's bugging you, I can throw her out".

Domi responds: "No..no man! That's my wife!" and then leaves with a hot little blonde he was chatting up and returns to the club two hours later.

During that time, Domi's wife asks my buddy "Where is Tie?" and he says "Last I heard, he was upstairs talking to the management" and she walked away pissed off.

When Domi arrived, he could overhear him telling his wife he was upstairs all along. :lol

calder

Whew, just got done my draft. 18 teams with 16 players takes a long damn time! :D

Some hilarious picks at the end, and for some weird reason there was a huge run on goalies in the middle of the first round which let me steal Heatley at the 10th overall spot. I feel much better about my GAF goaltending situation, one guy who was actually at this draft ended up with his Manny Legace and Curtis Sanford as his ONLY two goalies. :lol

God damn, I feel so bad for LA and Phoenix.

San Jose and Anaheim are arguably going to be the two best teams in the West (you could argue Calgary or Nashville/Detroit), and with Dallas usually doing great in the regular season... I don't know. There's just such a huge leap between both the Pacific and NorthWest and the Central division.

Karakand

Mike Works said:
God damn, I feel so bad for LA and Phoenix.

San Jose and Anaheim are arguably going to be the two best teams in the West (you could argue Calgary or Nashville/Detroit), and with Dallas usually doing great in the regular season... I don't know. There's just such a huge leap between both the Pacific and NorthWest and the Central division.

The Kings are a wild card, they weren't that far off from going to the playoffs last season and ownership cleaned house in the offseason. What I've seen of 'em in preseason hasn't looked half bad, either. Phoenix, well they'll probably be happy with a .500 season.

edit: Malkin news!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2602268

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Penguins rookie Evgeni Malkin, re-examined by doctors on Monday, will not need surgery on his dislocated left shoulder but still could be sidelined up to six weeks.

----------

The team did not set a timetable Monday for Malkin's return, saying only that he will continue to rehabilitate. A common recovery time for an injury of Malkin's nature is four to six weeks, though athletes have returned earlier from less severe separations.

Well, just got back from GM Place.

Luongo was hella awesome to watch in action. Can't say the same for the rest of the Canucks. The Ikea 1st line was laser sharp and completely natural in passing. Every line had scoring opportunities but no finish. Bulis was great and looked very dangerous.

Sharks were also great. Toskala looked good in net.

Shinobi

ForzaItalia said:
Man I've hated this dude for ages and it's funny how many people come up to me now and admit they were frauded by this guy. That Sun pic only proves how ugly he is. :lol

So here's my story:

A buddy of mine used to work at a club called "Easy and the Fifth" here in Toronto and at one time a lot of the Leafs would show up there after games, etc. One night Domi approaches my buddy and says:

"See that blonde at the bar? If she comes asking for me, tell her I'm upstairs talking to the management."

*Tie slips him $50*

My friend says: "If she's bugging you, I can throw her out".

Domi responds: "No..no man! That's my wife!" and then leaves with a hot little blonde he was chatting up and returns to the club two hours later.

During that time, Domi's wife asks my buddy "Where is Tie?" and he says "Last I heard, he was upstairs talking to the management" and she walked away pissed off.

When Domi arrived, he could overhear him telling his wife he was upstairs all along. :lol

:lol :lol :lol Tie Domi...the family man! Yeah, let's just say I've heard a few stories over the last year from guys like John Derringer and Bill Waters (who incidently I think got off the subway train behind me at Davisville yesterday) that's made Domi look like a complete and utter chump. I think it started with that little talk shit and run bit he did on Talk 640 last year...just made him look like a ****ing clown.

ForzaItalia said:
I think my mission is now to bang Domi's ex-wife. I know where she lives and it would make for a great GAF topic.

:lol I was thinking the same thing...let's face it, she'd be ripe for the picking.

The funniest part about this story is the revelation that he was banging Relic Hunter Tia Carrere back in '99. :lol Add your story to the mix and this clown suddenly makes Mick Jaggar look like a monk.

I guess I should say something about the Leafs, so here goes...they'll be a .500 team, be one of the last teams to make the playoffs, and lose the first round. Go Leafs Go and stuff.

torsuntiestronach200.jpg

060925_domi_stronach_300.jpg

Questioned about her many male friends in a new book written by Don Martin, she replied: "I love them, what's wrong with that?" And asked about her sex life, Stronach responded: "Let's face it. I don't sit at home and knit on Friday nights."

I love her...:lol

ShutEye

so-far leaning-to-the-left-Star-my-neck's-gonna-get-a-****ing-crik-looking-at-it

Thats great. :lol

Is there going to be an official predictions thread when we get closer to the start of the real season? I'd love to see everyone's predictions even if its just their local division.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
ShutEye said:
Thats great. :lol

Is there going to be an official predictions thread when we get closer to the start of the real season? I'd love to see everyone's predictions even if its just their local division.
Yea, we need a thread to make it easy to come back and find predictions for mocking in April.

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
I remember my grade 12 english teacher telling the class that...witch was almost about 5 years ago now. If things have changed then I'm glad.

Your grade 12 english teacher was an idiot, the Sun has NEVER had a higher readership then the Star, and as Shinobi pointed out, the Toronto Star is the most widely read newspaper in Canada.

Considering you were taught by an idiot, I fully understand your positions now.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Since Alucard posted his... I'll post ours...

<3 Radulov...
EDD0C8BD967E4C5781015A537DCA6F1C.jpg

Hartnell and Arnott rockin the chest bumps
955E9477A33F4D1DA82704D674A68331.jpg

Zidlicky / Vokoun vs Vasicek / Timonen in the doubles finals
E586B26DFE0A444181AB9ADE99B4D496.jpg

It's not quite west point but, eh... at least they're not at disneyland :lol

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Alucard said:
Pens' team building at West Point...

5734.f.jpg
5736.f.jpg

5737.f.jpg
5738.f.jpg

5739.f.jpg
5740.f.jpg

Hopefully all this stuff will help with team trust, chemistry, and mental focus.
WHAT THE ****.
Crosby and co. declaring a Jihad on the rest of the NHL this year?

Alucard

Banned
Pochacco said:
WHAT THE ****.
Crosby and co. declaring a Jihad on the rest of the NHL this year?

Apparently the Rangers did this same thing last year and it helped them out tremendously in just keeping their focus and feeling like a more cohesive unit, so I'm hoping this will do the same for the Pens.

pops619

One thing that really impressed me with the Rangers is how well they played as a team. I mean, on paper, they looked like a bad team going into the season, but they ended up making the playoffs, having led a somewhat tough division most of the season. One of the things that was so frustrating to see with the Pens last year was how bad they played as a team. Only in the last month or two or the season did they start to look like they had some chemistry. Hopefully, this does for the Penguins what it did for the Rangers.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Foriegn Jackass said:
As a Montreal fan, believe me. He's gonna LOOK dangerous, and that's about it.
I liked Bulis, but I can't help but agree with this statement.

Manics said:
Your grade 12 english teacher was an idiot, the Sun has NEVER had a higher readership then the Star, and as Shinobi pointed out, the Toronto Star is the most widely read newspaper in Canada.

Considering you were taught by an idiot, I fully understand your positions now.

ok old man, no need to wet your depends over this, If I'm wrong about something I'm more than man enough to admit it. I was wrong.

sefskillz said:
You guys need to hug it out already.
I've got no problem with manics. His posts of sarcastic humour and passive agressive rage are entertaining and I enjoy reading them.

Alucard said:
Apparently the Rangers did this same thing last year and it helped them out tremendously in just keeping their focus and feeling like a more cohesive unit, so I'm hoping this will do the same for the Pens.
That's a great idea. Besides everything you listed, bottom line is it builds trust, and that by itself can go a long way with a team. I hope Gainey does this as well next pre season.

Shinobi

ForzaItalia said:
"That's it Belinda. Now hold that pose until Forza undoes his fly"........

belinda2.jpg

"You may now swallow"....

24TOrbelinda300.jpg

"Go ahead"...

calNATIONAL_MAIN.jpg

"Atta girl!"

photo50919.jpg

a_domi_hi.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Why the hell are they sticking with the dark uni's for the home games. The NHL white/light unis generally look leagues better then the darks, and I reckon the paying fans oughta see their teams in their best looking colours.

calder

It sounds like Edmonton head coach Craig MacTavish will send Robbie Schremp to the AHL this season. "The jury is still out on him, we're going to see how he plays in the remaining three games," said MacTavish. "But I don't think it would be hurtful in any way, shape, or form for anybody to start the year in the American League. Not that he's going to, but that's obviously one of the options we have." - Edmonton Sun
dem am heart broken!

dem

Nah he needs to go the the AHL.. hes not ready. Abysmal on the draw.

The moment we got Sykora I was pretty sure he was going to the AHL.

Karakand

Well... AFAIK he's only been cleared to practice, not play. "Indefinitely" is just a nicer way of saying, "we have no ****ing clue".

ShutEye

Shinobi said:
:lol :lol :lol

Why the hell are they sticking with the dark uni's for the home games. The NHL white/light unis generally look leagues better then the darks, and I reckon the paying fans oughta see their teams in their best looking colours.

The stupidest thing is that if you attend games your stuck watching the same colour scheme game after game. The reason they originally switched in the 60's (not sure if I have my dates right) was so that fans attending games would get to see alternate colour combos.

Manics

Banned
Wolf said:
I've got no problem with manics. His posts of sarcastic humour and passive agressive rage are entertaining and I enjoy reading them.

I've got no problem with you either Wolf. I grew up around Hab fans that lived through the glory days and expected (and usually got) a Stanley Cup every year. It's refreshing to be in contact with Hab fans now who must live with the reality they're not winning a Cup, yet they still believe they're a "force" in the league.

P.S. Depends are cool.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I kinda like the dark jerseys more.
All teams have a white jersey, but the dark jersey's are unique to their respective teams (for the most part). Besides, 3rd jerseys do a pretty good job at varying things up a bit for the home crowd.

Btw, best looking jerseys in the league?
I like:
-Oilers (best color scheme in the league imo).
-Avs
-Canuck's 3rd jersey
-Habs (classic)
-Sens (crappy logo, but I like the gold trim)

Reilly

Pochacco said:
I kinda like the dark jerseys more.
All teams have a white jersey, but the dark jersey's are unique to their respective teams (for the most part). Besides, 3rd jerseys do a pretty good job at varying things up a bit for the home crowd.

Btw, best looking jerseys in the league?
I like:
-Oilers (best color scheme in the league imo).
-Avs
-Canuck's 3rd jersey
-Habs (classic)
-Sens (crappy logo, but I like the gold trim)

San Jose third jersey
Atlanta blue jersey
Red Wings red jersey
Nashville third jersey

calder

I much prefer most dark jersey's to away jersey's too. I think it's great that the home team wears their (usually) much superior looking dark jersey now, although I'm sure they'll switch back in several years to mix it up.

Zherdev for 3 years and more than 7mill isn't bad for either side.

And, <3 TSN for upgrading the quality of their training camp coverage. Now if only they drastically improve their in-game scoreboards.

# The Oilers are expected to go with the following lines on Thursday night: Smyth/Horcoff/Lupul, Torres/Sykora/Hemsky, Moreau/Stoll/Pisani, Jacques/Reasoner/Thoersen....D: Smith/Tjarnqvist, Staios/Smid, Green/Bergeron...G: Roloson. - TSN

# The Senators are expected to go with the following lines on Thursday night: Mcammond/Spezza/Heatley, Schaefer/Fisher/Alfredsson, Hamel/Kaigorodov/Eaves, Hennessey/Kelly/Mcgrattan....D: Redden/Priessing, Phillips/Meszaros, Allison/Barinka...G: Gerber. - TSN

# The Canadiens are expected to go with the following lines on Thursday night: Higgins/Koivu/Ryder Kovlev/Riberio/Kostitsyn, Johnson/Plenkanec/Lattendresse, Murray/Begin/Downey...D: Rivet/Markov, Streit/Dandenault, Jancevski/Komisarek...G: Aebischer. - TSN

BigJonsson said:
The best jersey in the NHL is the Oilers 3rd jersey

They aren't using that one anymore. The word is that they will be using the old dark (pre-1996) uniforms as their 3rd jerseys.

Even though I hate the Flames, the ones they use at home are one of the best looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom