• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

I don't know who's going to react worse to that news- calder or shinobi.

Probably shinobi.

edit: oh god I hope both Stronach and Dryden vie for the Liberal leadership and Tie Domi gets torn apart between his loyalty to his girlfriend/wife and leaf nation :lol

if there is a god, he will provide us with a duo city hall style debate with Stronach and Domi sharing one podium against Dryden and Jennifer Hedger on the other.

PLEASE JESUS

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
What the hell I thought Domi was married, weren't his wife and children at that stupid ceremony we had for him.

Karakand

Domi is one smart cat. :lol

BTW, how did I miss this bit of news?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=174920&hubname=nhl

LOS ANGELES (CP) - The Los Angeles Kings will retire Luc Robitaille's No. 20 jersey before a Jan. 20 game against the Phoenix Coyotes.

Robitaille will join Rogie Vachon, Marcel Dionne, Dave Taylor and Wayne Gretzky as the only Kings players to have their jersey retired.

Good job, Kings. Lucky Luc is one of those players whose career is obfuscated by the nostalgia of childhood for me. 1992-1993 was magic... except for that Habs beatdown at the end.

luckyluke2ld8.png

calder

Bob McKenzie

9/14/2006 8:15:53 PM

Now that Frantisek Kaberle will miss most of this season because of shoulder surgery, the Carolina Hurricanes are in desperate need of a defenceman.

But it won't be Jack Johnson of the University of Michigan, who was Carolina's third overall pick in the 2005 entry draft.

For the second time in less than a year, the talented Wolverine sophomore, who shone for Team USA at the 2006 World Junior Championship, has rebuffed efforts by the Hurricanes to sign with the NHL team, preferring instead to remain in college.

And it now looks as though there's a chance Johnson may never don a Hurricane sweater.

NHL sources tell TSN that in the wake of Johnson's latest decision to stay at school, Carolina GM Jim Rutherford has begun making calls to other GMs in an effort to trade the 6-foot-1, 200-pound, hard-hitting, fast-skating blueliner.

"He's in play," a source said. "Carolina isn't going to give him away because he's a blue-chip asset, but if they get the right deal, he's gone."

The Hurricanes were miffed last April when Johnson turned down a contract offer that came with some assurances that the defenceman would get an opportunity to play immediately for Carolina, which went on to win the Stanley Cup. That led to a plethora of pre-draft rumours in June that the Hurricanes were going to trade Johnson even up to the Pittsburgh Penguins for the second overall pick and the right to draft Peterborough Pete centre Jordan Staal, the younger brother of Hurricanes' star Eric Staal.

But the deal that would have reunited U.S. prep school teammates Johnson and Sidney Crosby, as well as the Staal brothers, never materialized, in large part, it seemed, because neither Pittsburgh nor Carolina were that interested in making the deal.

But in the wake of Kaberle going down with what could be season-ending shoulder injury and Johnson's decision to not leave the Wolverines on the eve of his sophomore season, the trading of Johnson could become a reality.

It will be interesting to see if Carolina and Pittsburgh engage in any Johnson-Staal talks. And it will also be intriguing to see if the Hurricanes put in a call in to the New York Rangers, who drafted defenceman Marc Staal, Eric's other brother, in the same draft Carolina took Johnson. The Hurricanes thought long and hard which defenceman – Johnson or Marc Staal – to take with the third overall pick in 2005. They opted for Johnson; the Rangers took Staal with the 12th pick overall.

In any case, Johnson's name is now bound to be front and centre in trade rumours.
Interesting. You'd think it would take a hell of a lot to get him, but a trade for Staal the Younger would be megaton. I'm surprised he went back to college this year, eventually that makes ppl wonder about you, like staying in Europe for an extra year or two after your NHL team invites you over.

The Leaf game tonight was very enjoyable to watch. Based on how they played today, they're a completely different team from last year's squad. Their speed, passing, and checking were all excellent and they had pretty good chemistry. After their abysmal play last season, this is completely unexpected and definitely a welcome change. I'll be very happy indeed if they can keep up this effort throughout the entire season.

dem

Holy shit

2 games in a row now Luongo has let in the first shot!! :lol :lol :lol

ROFL
4 shots on goal.. 2 goals :lol :lol :lol

the canucks are comedy gold

Anaheim is playing their starting roster minus Rob Niedermeyer and Dipenta.

Here's who Vancouver is playing:

Naslund - Morrison - Bulis (good!)

Rulier - Santala - Cooke (uh.. cooke is good)

Burrows - Green - Grabner (what)

Brown - Bernier - Rypien (what)

I don't even know who some of those people are. There's no way Vancouver wins this game, so I'm not worried at the result. Though Luongo letting in his first shot on net for the second game in a row is pretty good :lol

Preseason means absolutely nothing (aside from injuries).

pops619

I was at the game tonight. It definitely did resemble a Pens game from last year. But then, no Crosby, Malkin, Armstrong, and Recchi so I question what you can really get out of this.

Gonchar's been very good, at least. He looks so much more confident and in command than he did at any point last year, especially early on.

Wow all you clowns getting wound up over the pre season. I know you oilers fools seem to think you have a really special team there but you should really calm down for a second.

Reilly said:
BUT I THOUGHT THEY HAD LUONGO MEANING THEY COULD GO 82-0 REGARDLESS WHO ELSE WAS ON THEIR ROSTER?
Luongo will do well with Naslund, Morrison, Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Salo, Ohlund, Mitchell and others in front of him.

Luongo will not do well with Naslund, Morrison, Rulier, Bernier, Brown, Salo, Fitzpatrick, Tremblay and others in front of him.

I don't know what you're trying to claim here. Luongo's a pretty good goalie!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Socreges said:
I think this will be the year that the Leafs take home the Cup. :)

maybe, maybe not

but it looks like they're about to enter the season with a very good team with a LOT of depth in all positions

It's fun to pick on our 0-3 pre-season record.

It's fun to pick on our superstar goalie who lets in 2 goals on the first shot in two games.

It's fun to nitpick a team filled mostly with prospects and rookies combined with a goaltender who hasn't seen a puck since April and veterans who have had too much time at the beach.

So...when all your teams are doing horrible in the regular season:

We'll have the last laugh.

I'll guarantee that - and a playoff spot based on our 0-3 record right now.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Canuck fans practicing their excuses already =D
For the record, Oilers' 4-0 preseason record means squat. But still, better to win than lose.

Cold-Steel said:
It's fun to pick on our 0-3 pre-season record.

It's fun to pick on our superstar goalie who lets in 2 goals on the first shot in two games.

It's fun to nitpick a team filled mostly with prospects and rookies combined with a goaltender who hasn't seen a puck since April and veterans who have had too much time at the beach.

So...when all your teams are doing horrible in the regular season:

We'll have the last laugh.

I'll guarantee that - and a playoff spot based on our 0-3 record right now.

I'm gonna go ahead and guarantee the Canucks are going to shit the bed this year and not going to make the Playoffs, not even close. Based on reality the team just is not very good at all.

Socreges

Banned
DopeyFish said:
maybe, maybe not

but it looks like they're about to enter the season with a very good team with a LOT of depth in all positions
:lol i love your sense of humour

yodathesoda said:
Based on reality the team just is not very good at all.
If we are going to base claims like that on anything, whether reality or your own shaded fantasies, then we should probably get a good look at some semblance of the Canucks first. The team on paper is either very promising or a little concerning, depending on how you choose to see things. There is some uncertainty.

And Luongo is allowed to shit the bed AS MUCH AS HE WANTS so long as he keeps it to the pre-season.

Barrage

Yesterday's Pre-season game finally saw a Stars game that I expected. Eriksson and Lessard are looking great, Daley will (hopefully) break out this year, and Turco decided to become dominant again. They're getting their shit together right before the season starts, which is just about right.

*(I'm going to refrain from mentioning Lindros until after January. If he's still alive by then, I will consider our investment in him worthwhile.)

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
The Oilers are going to win the cup this year. Get ready for the beggining of a new dynasty.

I don't see how it's going to be a tough season for us Nucks. We aren't going to win the cup unless by pure luck, but we're got the beginnings of a pretty solid team right now. We have an excellent back stop in Luongo and have assembeled a (much) better defence to go in front of him. If the Sedins can click with Kesler and continue to improve this year than that's a great first line, and Bulis is only going to do better with more ice time and playing with Naslund and Morrison, and our 3rd and 4th lines are better than most teams.

I'm positive we'll make the playoffs.

I swear to god, I rag on Leaf fans a lot, but there are few other teams that have fans who will boldly promise a playoff inclusion after watching their new team go 0-3 in the preseason, getting outscored 12-5. The Canucks definitely have a chance to make the playoffs, but guaranteeing it at this point is just ridiculous.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
MrToughPants said:
:lol

DopeyFish
Crying on the inside
(Today, 07:19 PM)

uhh k *scratches head*

man the leafs had the game under control and then they had to start taking stupid stupid penalties

Sandman42

Great game by the Leafs tonight. Beating a nearly complete Habs lineup with mostly third string players.

My Comments:

-White was our best defender, and probably the best of the entire pre-season

-Raycroft looked like he is almost back to his calder form. He was awesome.

-Suglobov, wow great hands. We got this guy for Ken Klee?

-Wellwood, I am predicting a huge season for Wellwood this year. He is really shining this pre-season.

Manics

Banned
Mike Works said:
I swear to god, I rag on Leaf fans a lot, but there are few other teams that have fans who will boldly promise a playoff inclusion after watching their new team go 0-3 in the preseason, getting outscored 12-5. The Canucks definitely have a chance to make the playoffs, but guaranteeing it at this point is just ridiculous.

Come on over to the Leafs bandwagon Mikey, I'll vouch for ya. Any Azzurri fan is welcome to cheer on the Leafs. :)

Manics said:
Come on over to the Leafs bandwagon Mikey, I'll vouch for ya. Any Azzurri fan is welcome to cheer on the Leafs. :)
We're cool when it comes to Italy man, but I would sooner become a France supporter than a Leaf fan.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Scott Walker tried to sit down in the Nashville penalty box last night. I guess it's tough to break old habits. I imagine his teammates are going to give him a hard time about that one :) Another goal for Radulov. Erat looks fantastic, he's breakin out this year.

We sure tore up Carolina's 6th string goalie last night though. Look out stanley cup!

Wolf

GO HABS GO
rs7k said:
I;m worried about my Habs. 0-4 is shit, pre-season or not.

They team took a turn in the right direction yesterday, despite the loss. Don't concern yourself over w/l results in preseason, just look to make sure your team is getting better with each game, thats how I see it. Montreal will be fine come October.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Giard's Mastodons, blockbuster waiting for you in the roto.

In other news Redden left the game today with groin problems, no further news at this point. With him being my #1 d-man this news does not sit well with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom