• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Preseason or not, it's nice to roll up the Leafs. Sabres had a whole lot of rookies out there as well...3 out of 4 goals scored by guys who are not locks to make the team.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
The Internet said:
On an unrelated note, I watched an AJHL game in Grande Prairie on the weekend and watched Scottie Upshall's little brother beat the hell out of some poor Asian on skates.
sweet. we should sign him.

calder

The reports about the co-founder of RIM trying to buy the Pens again are heating up. Sucks since I assume he'd want to move the team to Hamilton, but isn't that Island of Capri deal done already? I thought the Pens were locked into Pittsburgh for 20 years now or something.

Man RIM has had an up and down couple of years, but now that the big Blackberry suit ended much more in their favour than most ppl thought they must be rolling in it again.

calder said:
The reports about the co-founder of RIM trying to buy the Pens again are heating up. Sucks since I assume he'd want to move the team to Hamilton, but isn't that Island of Capri deal done already? I thought the Pens were locked into Pittsburgh for 20 years now or something.

Man RIM has had an up and down couple of years, but now that the big Blackberry suit ended much more in their favour than most ppl thought they must be rolling in it again.

RIM is like right beside my school

calder

Holy ****, you can tell it's a slow news day when Domi's retirement (huzzah!) makes the headlines list on the frontpage of espn.com

dem

Longtime Toronto Maple Leafs enforcer Tie Domi will officially announce his retirement this afternoon, a source told The Canadian Press.

Truly a sad day for fans of 29 NHL teams. :(

Karakand

calder said:

Nothing's locked up for sure yet as far as I know.

Also, Hamilton? Bleh at that.

calder

I'm most disappointed that Domi's career ended as with him being almost wholly ineffective and negative reports about him a constant buzz in the TO press. I was praying he'd have one more decent-ish (for him) season that had his clueless fanbase clamoring the Leafs to hire him on as an assistant coach. We really got hosed there. :(

Now we all have to hold our breath and wait for CBC to squeeze his gigantic head into the HNIC studio and ruin the show a little more than they already have.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Tie Domi has joined TSN.

The announcement was made official moments ago during a press conference at the Air Canada Centre as the respected NHL veteran formally announced his retirement. He's the latest addition to the TSN family following recent signings this year of Brian Williams, James Cybulski and Darren Dreger.

''I may be leaving the ice, but I'm not leaving hockey,'' Domi said. ''I am excited and nervous in my new role but I promise to bring the same person that had the passion, dedication and the enthusiasm to the broadcast arena that I delivered to the ice.''

For Domi, the path that led from the NHL to Canada's #1 sports broadcaster started with a phone call to CTV President Rick Brace. “Tie confided that he was planning to retire and asked if we would consider a role for him here. TSN President Phil King held a secret audition and we were immediately impressed.''
Related Info

* Tie Domi Player Bio

King confirmed that Domi has been assigned to the network's comprehensive NHL coverage, where as an analyst he will appear weekly during TSN's in-studio panel discussions and debates. His new NHL on TSN studio broadcast teammates includes host James Duthie, fellow analyst Glenn Healy, TSN Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie and Dreger, and veteran hockey broadcaster Dave Hodge.

Commenting on the acquisition of Domi, King said: “Tie brings the same edge to the broadcast panel that was so much part of his game on the ice. His colourful presence, knowledge and passion for the game will be a big bonus for our viewers.''

''Passion in life is everything. And that's how I've always approached hockey,'' said Domi. ''As I enter a new chapter in my life, I look forward to demonstrating my love and passion for the game in my new role as a TSN hockey analyst.''

Domi makes his broadcasting debut on the eve of the 2006-07 NHL season, October 3 at 7:30 p.m. ET, providing analysis during the network's 90-minute NHL on TSN Preview Special.

During his NHL career, Domi played for the New York Rangers, Winnipeg Jets and Toronto Maple Leafs, and will long be remembered as one of most recognizable faces in hockey. He leaves the game as one of the most popular players across Canada.
Ouch. This deal definitely favors the Leafs. TSN got shafted.
At the very least, TSN should've received some draft picks.

Fifty

calder said:
Holy ****, you can tell it's a slow news day when Domi's retirement (huzzah!) makes the headlines list on the frontpage of espn.com

He's best friends with the editor of ESPN.com.

calder

Pochacco said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO
oooooo
oooo

I was hoping he'd get picked up by The Score so his dumbass wouldn't ruin any sports telecasts I watch. That ****ing sucks.

Also:
He leaves the game as one of the most popular players across Canada.
el-oh-el

calder

:lol speaking of Domi's best friend, the editors of ESPN.com, here's their fantasy pages top 200 NHL list. The GAF league has drafted, but if you want a shitty team in some other league here's your cheatsheet!

1 Miikka Kiprusoff, Cgy G
2 Jaromir Jagr, NYR F
3 Martin Brodeur, NJ G
4 Sidney Crosby, Pit F
5 Alexander Ovechkin, Was F
6 Joe Thornton, SJ F
7 Dany Heatley, Ott F
8 Ilya Kovalchuk, Atl F
9 Roberto Luongo, Van G
10 Eric Staal, Car F
11 Jason Spezza, Ott F
12 Nicklas Lidstrom, Det D
13 Bryan McCabe, Tor D
14 Marian Hossa, Atl F
15 Rick Nash, Cls F
16 Olli Jokinen, Fla F
17 Peter Forsberg, Phi F
18 Jonathan Cheechoo, SJ F
19 Brad Richards, TB F
20 Jarome Iginla, Cgy F
21 Dominik Hasek, Det G
22 Brendan Shanahan, NYR F
23 Vincent Lecavalier, TB F
24 Scott Niedermayer, Ana D
25 Henrik Lundqvist, NYR G
26 Chris Pronger, Ana D
27 Zdeno Chara, Bos D
28 Dion Phaneuf, Cgy D
29 Patrik Elias, NJ F
30 Sergei Gonchar, Pit D
31 Simon Gagne, Phi F
32 Todd Bertuzzi, Fla F
33 Rob Blake, LA D
34 Ed Jovanovski, Pho D
35 Markus Naslund, Van F
36 Manny Fernandez, Min G
37 Marc Savard, Bos F
38 Tomas Vokoun, Nas G
39 Daniel Alfredsson, Ott F
40 Ryan Miller, Buf G
41 Marian Gaborik, Min F
42 Henrik Zetterberg, Det F
43 Pavol Demitra, Min F
44 Pavel Datsyuk, Det F
45 Sergei Zubov, Dal D
46 Keith Tkachuk, StL F
47 Joni Pitkanen, Phi D
48 Marty Turco, Dal G
49 Brian Gionta, NJ F
50 Martin Gerber, Ott G
51 Joe Sakic, Col F
52 Patrick Marleau, SJ F
53 Mathieu Schneider, Det D
54 Lubomir Visnovsky, LA D
55 Marek Zidlicky, Nas D
56 Wade Redden, Ott D
57 Shane Doan, Pho F
58 Patrice Bergeron, Bos F
59 Daniel Briere, Buf F
60 Mats Sundin, Tor F
61 Brenden Morrow, Dal F
62 Jason Arnott, Nas F
63 Mike Modano, Dal F
64 Teemu Selanne, Ana F
65 Martin Havlat, Chi F
66 Cam Ward, Car G
67 Alex Tanguay, Cgy F
68 Paul Kariya, Nas F
69 Cristobal Huet, Mon G
70 Erik Cole, Car F
71 Philippe Boucher, Dal D
72 Scott Gomez, NJ F
73 Evgeni Nabokov, SJ G
74 Andrew Raycroft, Tor G
75 Jean-Sebastian Giguere, Ana G
76 Maxim Afinogenov, Buf F
77 Brian Rolston, Min F
78 Rod Brind'Amour, Car F
79 Tomas Kaberle, Tor D
80 Jarret Stoll, Edm F
81 Ales Hemsky, Edm F
82 Vaclav Prospal, TB F
83 Steve Sullivan, Nas F
84 Jose Theodore, Col G
85 Kimmo Timonen, Nas D
86 Milan Hejduk, Col F
87 Kari Lehtonen, Atl G
88 Brian Rafalski, NJ D
89 Martin St. Louis, TB F
90 Doug Weight, StL F
91 Martin Straka, NYR F
92 Dan Boyle, TB D
93 Mark Bell, SJ F
94 Jaroslav Spacek, Buf D
95 Jay Bouwmeester, Fla D
96 Nikolai Zherdev, Cls F
97 Ladislav Nagy, Pho F
98 Robert Lang, Det F
99 Marc Denis, TB G
100 Shawn Horcoff, Edm F
101 Brendan Morrison, Van F
102 Ilya Bryzgalov, Ana G
103 Vesa Toskala, SJ G
104 Ryan Smyth, Edm F
105 Michael Knuble, Phi F
106 Nathan Horton, Fla F
107 Dan Cloutier, LA G
108 Joffrey Lupul, Edm F
109 Bryan Berard, Cls D
110 Michael Nylander, NYR F
111 Saku Koivu, Mon F
112 Justin Williams, Car F
113 Petr Sykora, Edm F
114 Dwayne Roloson, Edm G
115 Daymond Langkow, Cgy F
116 Craig Conroy, LA F
117 Sean Avery, LA F
118 Andy McDonald, Ana F
119 Marco Sturm, Bos F
120 Nikolai Khabibulin, Chi G
121 Curtis Joseph, Pho G
122 Cory Stillman, Car F
123 Kim Johnsson, Min D
124 Alexei Kovalev, Mon F
125 Rick DiPietro, NYI G
126 Bill Guerin, StL F
127 Jason Blake, NYI F
128 Andrej Meszaros, Ott D
129 Tim Thomas, Bos G
130 Hannu Toivonen, Bos G
131 Darcy Tucker, Tor F
132 Mark Recchi, Pit F
133 Sergei Samsonov, Mon F
134 John-Michael Liles, Col D
135 Scott Hartnell, Nas F
136 Sheldon Souray, Mon D
137 Manny Legace, StL G
138 Ales Kotalik, Buf F
139 Alexei Yashin, NYI F
140 Miroslav Satan, NYI F
141 Alexander Frolov, LA F
142 Andrei Markov, Mon D
143 Robert Esche, Phi G
144 Tom Preissing, Ott D
145 Marek Svatos, Col F
146 Daniel Sedin, Van F
147 Joe Nieuwendyk, Fla F
148 Slava Kozlov, Atl F
149 Anson Carter, Van F
150 Ray Emery, Ott G
151 Chris Mason, Nas G
152 Colby Armstrong, Pit F
153 Henrik Sedin, Van F
154 Jason Williams, Det F
155 Paul Mara, Bos D
156 Dainius Zubrus, Was F
157 Joe Corvo, Ott D
158 Jamie Langenbrunner, NJ F
159 Tomas Holmstrom, Det F
160 Glen Murray, Bos F
161 Jean-Sebastian Aubin, Tor G
162 Brad Boyes, Bos F
163 Alex Auld, Fla G
164 Mike Van Ryn, Fla D
165 Brian Leetch, Bos D
166 Nils Ekman, Pit F
167 Michael Ryder, Mon F
168 Mike Comrie, Pho F
169 Mike Sillinger, NYI F
170 Antero Niittymaki, Phi G
171 Fredrik Modin, Cls F
172 Andrew Brunette, Col F
173 Peter Bondra, Atl F
174 Michal Rozsival, NYR D
175 Jere Lehtinen, Dal F
176 Martin Gelinas, Fla F
177 Chris Drury, Buf F
178 David Aebischer, Mon G
179 Chris Osgood, Det G
180 Jeff O'Neill, Tor F
181 Chris Neil, Ott F
182 Gary Roberts, Fla F
183 Tuomo Ruutu, Chi F
184 Brian Pothier, Was D
185 Petr Prucha, NYR F
186 Mike Fisher, Ott F
187 Kristian Huselius, Cgy F
188 Peter Budaj, Col G
189 Johan Hedberg, Atl G
190 Mattias Ohlund, Van D
191 John Grahame, Car G
192 Roman Hamrlik, Cgy D
193 Mikael Samuelsson, Det F
194 Brad Stuart, Bos D
195 Mike Cammalleri, LA F
196 Dan Hamhuis, Nas D
197 Christian Ehrhoff, SJ D
198 Mathieu Garon, LA G
199 Martin Biron, Buf G
200 Michal Handzus, Chi F
Seriously, wtf espn.

djkimothy

Pochacco said:

Great, I look forward to every "Sens suck" remark when analyzing their play.

Why would TSN cripple themselves like this?

Sportsnet should have just completed the package and got Domi, they're all leaf lovers anyways!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Alucard said:
Darn. Pens losing 4-1 to Ottawa with 10 minutes left in the 3rd. To be expected, or reason to worry a little?

:lol

4-2 watch out for Heatley to get the hat trick and Spezza knock Sid the **** out.

Karakand

Alucard said:
Darn. Pens losing 4-1 to Ottawa with 10 minutes left in the 3rd. To be expected, or reason to worry a little?

Psh, we lost 7-1 to the Kings yesterday! Now that's a cause for concern... kinda.

pops619

Eh. The Pens actually controlled the play for much of the game. Ottawa's goaltending was great and Pittsburgh's wasn't so good. To be fair, one of Ottawa's goals shouldn't have counted since Ottawa's guy put it in with his hand. Their fifth goal was an empty netter.

I guess you can draw opinions from the game if you'd like, but really, the Pens played one line and a couple of their top six defensemen, and the rest was minor leaguers pretty much. Crosby was great tonight. Staal was pretty impressive. Looking forward to seeing Malkin play tomorrow. I'm going to the game Friday; hopefully, they'll play something closer to what the actual team will look like.

Pochacco

:lol

domi_64149.jpg

Ouch. Bad draft choice TSN... bad draft choice...

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I'm hoping for an inspired performance on Saturday, and am hoping that I might get to see Sid or Malkin play. I didn't see the game today, but was Fleury in goal? He's still a huge worry for me and hasn't even been doing that well in the black and white games in training camp.

negitoro7

djkimothy said:
Sportsnet should have just completed the package and got Domi, they're all leaf lovers anyways!

I would've guessed it would be CBC's Hockey Night in Toronto... all they show are the Maple Leaves anyways.

pops619

Yeah, Fleury played. He wasn't too sharp. Still, it's early, and I'd like to see how he looks with the full roster playing in front of him.

Alucard

Banned
I really hope Fleury's able to regain some of the form he showed in his earlier days. Ever since that World Juniors screwup a couple of years ago, he hasn't looked the same to me and has often looked vulnerable. He'll still have nights when he stops 40+ shots, but he looks shaky at other times. If the Pens are going to have any chance of success this season, Fleury needs to be on his game.

EDIT: Looking at the stats right now and the Pens actually outshot the Sens 36-29. I can't remember the last time the Pens had over 30 shots in a game. :p Also, reading the names of the guys in on the scoring plays with Crosby (1G 1A tonight), it's definitely too early to make any type of judgments about the team.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
pops619 said:
Eh. The Pens actually controlled the play for much of the game. Ottawa's goaltending was great and Pittsburgh's wasn't so good. To be fair, one of Ottawa's goals shouldn't have counted since Ottawa's guy put it in with his hand. Their fifth goal was an empty netter.

I guess you can draw opinions from the game if you'd like, but really, the Pens played one line and a couple of their top six defensemen, and the rest was minor leaguers pretty much. Crosby was great tonight. Staal was pretty impressive. Looking forward to seeing Malkin play tomorrow. I'm going to the game Friday; hopefully, they'll play something closer to what the actual team will look like.

I think the Pens had a better team on the ice (on paper atleast) than Ottawa did, Ottawa only really had Redden, Corvo, Spezza, Heatley, Eaves, Emery, McGratton and Kelly and the rest were AHLers/Juniors and it really showed because the only productivity Ottawa got was from their regulars. The defence especially was almost all AHLers aand I think most of the ice time was given to non regulars in this game.

Alucard

Banned
GSG Flash said:
I think the Pens had a better team on the ice (on paper atleast) than Ottawa did, Ottawa only really had Redden, Corvo, Spezza, Heatley, Eaves, Emery, McGratton and Kelly and the rest were AHLers/Juniors and it really showed because the only productivity Ottawa got was from their regulars. The defence especially was almost all AHLers aand I think most of the ice time was given to non regulars in this game.

I know people say not to read too much into pre-season scores, but I remember getting a bad feeling after the Pens' lackluster pre-season last year and it was pretty indicative of how the rest of their year went. I just really want this team to finally start winning again. :(

Osorio

The Devils are losing 3-0 so far in the 1st against the Rangers, but I have no idea what's going on because WFAN sucks so hard. LESS COMMERCIALS, MORE HOCKEY!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
GSG Flash said:

It is pre season. Though tonight's game was useless becaus eof the lack of Malkin and Kaigorodov.

goaltenders
Ray Emery
Kelly Guard

defencemen
Christoph Schubert
Wade Redden
Joe Corvo

Jamie Allison
Andy Hedlund
Tomas Kudelka
Michal Barinka

forwards
Dany Heatley
Brian McGrattan
Jason Spezza
Denis Hamel
Chris Kelly
Jeff Heerema
Patrick Eaves
Dean McAmmond
Serge Payer
Ryan Vesce
Cody Bass
Danny Bois
Nick Foligno

Kingpen

If you just got NHL 2k7 (360) and want to play in the GAF league... we have 3 slots open...

Go to the online thread and sign up or PM me.

Barrage

The Stars second pre-season game was painful. You'd think with most of the same team from last year returning, the team would know how to play together. All I saw all game was stupid penalties and sloppy plays. And I know it's the preseason, but Turco didn't look sharp at all. Ugh. Boy, do I ****ing hate Colorado.

The only positives were that Junior Lessard had looked GREAT in Pre-season(he should definently make the roster this year) and the fight for the Backup goalie position between Dan Ellis and Mike Smith is heating up. I'm all for Smith-he controls the puck just like Turco, you want the team to be able to play the same style with both goalies.

Josh Green scores one for the Canucks.

Apart from that, really mediocre game for this team. Flaherty....ugh. Last two Calgary goals were on powerplays.

Pochacco

Oilers 3-0 in the preseason now.
A bit premature, but I'm predicting that the Oilers don't lose in regulation this season - 71-0-11 will be their regular season record sez aye.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Tough break for the Blue Jackets, Federov got injured in the 2nd period last night against Buffalo. That's probably worse for them than signing Ty Conklin.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Reilly said:
what game were you watching?

I didn't think Fleury looked too sharp either, he had some troubles with rebounds, hopefully after he gets warmed up a bit, he will be a lot better.

Alucard

Banned
Aww man. I'm in the Yahoo league with a bunch of friends and I sooooo didn't want my team to end up with a bunch of Pens players, but that's how it worked out anyway. :(

Crosby
Malkin
Armstrong
Ekman
Gonchar

Darn?

Reilly

GSG Flash said:
I didn't think Fleury looked too sharp either, he had some troubles with rebounds, hopefully after he gets warmed up a bit, he will be a lot better.

He didn't have a chance on most of his goals and he had some highlight real saves. Pens fans are too critical of him. The entire defense, as usual, was awful. The oppositiion is allowed to do anything in the Pens defensive zone because no one ever takes the body or lifts sticks or blocks shots. Fleury, or any goalie for that matter, won't be able to stop every point blank shot.

Kingpen

i'm not too worried about fluery... it is a pre-season game.... He will have a good season this year.

From what I heard, Jordan Staal looked pretty good as well

Manics

Banned
R_GILL said:
1st pic: I think it is Potvin, Palmateer, Gilmour, Clark, Sittler, and at the top I can't really tell who it is.

2nd pic: Bower, Mahovlich, Horton, Barilko

Nice mask, but I wonder why Keon isn't on it.

I think the top pic on the mask is George Armstrong.

How is my Yahoo team?

C - M Savard
C - M Sundin
LW - A Ovechkin
LW - D Tucker
RW - J Iginla
RW - Ju Williams
D - L Visnovsky
D - J Liles
D - J Spacek
D - S Souray

G - M Fernandez
G - I Bryzgalov

Bench
E Malkin
A Ponikarovsky
M Samuelsson
A Raycroft

pops619

Fleury still had a major problem with rebounds and with seeing the puck. You're right that the rest of the team didn't help much, but he was pretty bad himself. Still, in all fairness, he should have only allowed three goals, so he wasn't outright terrible either. He did make some nice saves.

Tonight should be a good indication of what the Pens can do. They're playing a good bit of what the NHL roster should look like. Staal's on Crosby wing for tonight's game. I expect a good showing from the Pens, if only because Philly is dressing far fewer NHL players of note.

SA-X

BigJonsson said:
How is my Yahoo team?

C - M Savard
C - M Sundin
LW - A Ovechkin
LW - D Tucker
RW - J Iginla
RW - Ju Williams
D - L Visnovsky
D - J Liles
D - J Spacek
D - S Souray

G - M Fernandez
G - I Bryzgalov

Bench
E Malkin
A Ponikarovsky
M Samuelsson
A Raycroft

The starting goalies should be solid and AO alone will probably give you all the goals you'll need. I'd be a little worried about +/- though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom