• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

NekoFever

Awesome for Fable. It totally deserved that.

Whatever the story of the 360/PS3 sales war, though, GODDAMN at those Wii numbers. I dread to think what Nintendo will be doing in November and December.

Scotch said:
Good riddance on Guitar Hero.
I agree. Two competing music games is annoying, it's like the cola wars of Blu-ray/HD-DVD all over again. ONE MUST FALL and I'm glad it's looking like GH because Rock Band is clearly the superior platform and GH feels like the me-too wannabe at this stage.

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
2 day sales for LBP sweeet.

fucking Sony , drop the price.

It went on sale the same day and Fallout and that would make it 5 days of sales. As you can see from the LBP thread here plenty of people got there copy the Saturday before that from stores breaking release date.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh, right. There are 12 Guitar Hero skus (4 consoles x 3 bundles). So the sales are dispersed.

Gary, tell us more about your feelings on guitar hero :lol

Frillen

firex said:
LBP selling 200k proves that nongames will sell even on a supposed "hardcore" machine like the PS3.

I'm pretty sure there were mostly hardcore gamers picking up LBP in October.

Prine

Banned
BrokenSymmetry said:
Yes, I remember a certain 1up-yours where it was said that Fallout 3 was going to steamroll Fable 2. It now seems that Fable 2 outsold all platforms of Fallout 3 combined...

And so his journey ends

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Gary Whitta said:
I agree. Two competing music games is annoying, it's like the cola wars of Blu-ray/HD-DVD all over again. ONE MUST FALL and I'm glad it's looking like GH because Rock Band is clearly the superior platform and GH feels like the me-too wannabe at this stage.
GHWT will probably outsell RB2 2:1 easily. I'm just befuddled that not one single SKU hit the top 10.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm guessing GH and RB were charted separately for all the SKUs, so both of their numbers are probably spread out between all the SKUs.

harSon

Banned
Xbox 360 numbers are really impressive. Managed to improve over last years October figures (Post Halo 3) a month before it's killer app.

Hardware LTD:
PS2: 42.743.000
NDS: 22.893.000
WII: 13.351.000
PSP: 12.806.000
360: 11.613.000
PS3: 5.684.000

Hardware YTD:
WII: 5.981.000
NDS: 5.341.000
360: 2.459.000
PS3: 2.441.000
PSP: 2.308.000
PS2: 1.887.000

Software LTD's:
[Wii] Wii Play - 7.134.000
[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 3.376.000
[Wii] Wii Fit - 2.833.000

legend166

Sadist said:
Damn Guitar Hero. Maybe it just ended up right outside the top 10?

Wouldn't surprise me to see 11-20 have about 6 different GH SKUs.

I know people hate to use the word, but I do think it's a fad. That not a bad connotation, but Guitar Hero isn't going to last for 10 years, especially with the milking they're doing. That's why I'm really interested to see what happens with Activision when it eventually stops selling these insane numbers. They're lucky they merged.

FrankT

Opus Angelorum said:
Now where is Chinner...

Great Xbox 360 hardware numbers, price drop had an effect. Disappointing Dead Space sales.

I think November and December will show a huge gap between the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Aye I predicted the streams would cross by November with a big gap by the end of December. Just happening a little quicker than I had thought. The margins will certainly be as big as last holiday season at the current price structure.

Zihark

Shockingly low numbers for PS3, and for Fallout 3. The lack of any GHWT sku is really surprising. I did almost get the Wii number right in predictions, 800-803k:)

purg3

slept with Malkin
I thought Fable 2 would do well, but holy shit. Good job MS&Lionhead.

About what I expected for LBP too.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The game came out on the 27th right? Right around Fallout 3?

So it had the same chance of Fallout 3 for selling units. >_>

Fallout 3 managed 400k.

Mrbob

BrokenSymmetry said:
Yes, I remember a certain 1up-yours where it was said that Fallout 3 was going to steamroll Fable 2. It now seems that Fable 2 outsold all platforms of Fallout 3 combined...

Yeah I think they forgot how well Fable 1 sold on Xbox. Fable 2 being the number one title isn't surprising, except for Donny who wanted to keep it out of the prediction thread. :lol

Fable is also a more relevant franchise than Fallout, despite being the "third" game it is really a reboot for consumers worldwide as for most it will be the first fallout they play.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
harSon said:
Xbox 360 numbers are really impressive. Managed to improve over last years October figures (Post Halo 3) a month before it's killer app.

Yeah, I think its going to steamroll PS3 this holiday.

Fredescu

Haunted said:
The first who says "Year of the PS3 continues" gets fucking shot.
2008.jpg

Zophar

WTF at people bemoaning the LBP sales. The game was only *really* on shelves for three days, not to mention there was probably even some confusion about the game even being available thanks to the recall.

I sense a lot of spin is incoming. Oh, and those of you talking about LBP only having four days of sales - be aware that game sales tend to be incredibly front-loaded, especially on a non-market-leader console. What next month's LBP sales will show will be its legs, if any.

Neomoto

Wii hardware.. my god!

:lol I bet a lot of third parties are kicking themselves for generally not really having much to show for this holiday in terms of great selling Wii games.

Also, except for Nintendo's Wii software all new releases in the top 10.

Good to see Guitar Hero flop, thats what happens when you milk a franchise and gloat about it!

What happened to Wii Music though? Can't believe that it didn't even crack the top 10, such a misunderstood game :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
bud said:
looks like littlebigplanet moved 190k ps3's

that's more than mgs4 did iirc

You really think the PS3 wouldn't have sold a single unit had it not been for LBP?

Sad news for Sony if true!

[Nintex]

Holy shit

800k for Wii, amazing, I mean... damn.

Also what's up with Mario Kart Wii, it's a good game and all but hardly the best Mario Kart ever. I still can't believe that the GT Bonus Round thought that Fable 2 and Fallout 3 would bomb :lol

Not a very good debut for LBP, next month sales will be all about Call of Duty and Resistance 2 on the PS3 side.

Drop the price of the PS3 Sony, before the system drops even further.

BrokenSymmetry said:
What do they know about sales....

Frillen

I predict 1.5 Million for the Wii in November.

And :lol at some Sony fans in this thread. First it was 5 days, then 3 days and now 2 days? :lol :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
Captain Smoker said:
Hardware YTD:

Shouldn't wii be on top? And it has sell more than the DS YTD? WoW

Mrbob

DMeisterJ said:
The game came out on the 27th right? Right around Fallout 3?

So it had the same chance of Fallout 3 for selling units. >_>

Fallout 3 managed 400k.

Fable came out a week earlier.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Frillen said:
I predict 1.5 Million for the Wii in November.

And :lol at some Sony fans in this thread. First it was 5 days, then 3 days and now 2 days? :lol :lol

I heard LBP was only available 10 hours before the reporting period ended. Truly amazing.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Captain Smoker said:
Hardware LTD:
PS2: 42.743.000
NDS: 22.893.000
WII: 13.351.000
PSP: 12.806.000

360: 11.613.000
PS3: 5.684.000

Hardware YTD:

Software LTD's:
[Wii] Wii Play - 7.134.000
[Wii] Mario Kart Wii - 3.376.000
[Wii] Wii Fit - 2.833.000
Wow, horrible month for Sony.

Bigfoot

Rapping Granny said:
2 day sales for LBP sweeet.

fucking Sony , drop the price.
I like how the number of days keeps dropping as I read more posts. It was actually 5 days (not including all the copies lots of people got early).

Top Bottom