• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

llTll

Banned
PlayStation 3 190K

Xbox 360 371K
Wii 803K

so the 360 double the sales of the PS3. yet.. its not really high even tho there is price drop and big games out for 360.

and little big planet sold so low its not really funny. how many days are covered in the NPD of little big planet sales?

Johnkers

Just like everybody I'm surprised that GH was SKUless in the top 10. Perhaps the new hardware encouraged a lot of people away from the single disc which spread it out even more.

Way too immature to call it a bomba or failure, especially while holding onto LBP having legs. They're both going to sell and sell and sell. I hope Rock Band did pick up some more market share this time around though, competition is good.

Halvie

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
It is unfortunate. That's my GOTY so far. I need a sequel bad. I don't think they marketed it very well.

Just pretty disgusting something like DS barely makes the top 10 and people seem to not be able to get enough of the Wii....still have no clue why

spwolf

Price drop incoming, price drop incoming!

Socom came out of nowhere... no wonder there are 20k players online at most times :D
LBP did great.

I dont know if 360 is impressive, or PS3 just did pretty bad month... with BD players now dropping below $200, PS3 will have a bit less push from BD...

Wii just sold tons...and tons... and few more tons.

fernoca

Zihark said:
Shockingly low numbers for PS3, and for Fallout 3.
"..and for Fallout 3?"
The game was barely hyped outside the "hardcore community", and was released on October 28...the same day as Little Big Planet and Guitar Hero World Tour; yet it outsold both....and is not like previous charts were invaded by Fallout games from top to bottom.

Anyway ..really happy with Fable II (which basically sold from word of mouth and having a 'II' in the name).

Really weird seeing no World Tour, when even Rock Band 2 made the charts back in September on the 360 only..though it was available for more time.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Not really.

Actually, I was wrong. PS3 sales are slightly up from September on a week-to-week basis.

September was a 5 week month, October was a 4 week month.

PS3 should have sold 185k based on September's figures. It did 190k. And traditionally the holiday bump doesn't occur until November unless a big title releases in October or September.

Last year, the PS3's sales actually declined on a week to week basis from September to October.

I don't think PS3 sales are 'great', just not 'miserable'. 360 sales are phenomenal, obviously, which in a relative position makes their sales look poor in comparison. No one really said that the PS3 had terrible sales last month, from what I can recall.

Dizzy from all the spin. :lol

tahrikmili said:
Year of the PS3 delayed to 2009 I guess..

Software's delivering. I'm pretty sure when Jack Trenton said it was going to be the "year of the PS3", he wasn't talking to people who horde NPD threads.

Loudninja

spwolf said:
Price drop incoming, price drop incoming!

Socom came out of nowhere... no wonder there are 20k players online at most times :D
LBP did great.

I dont know if 360 is impressive, or PS3 just did pretty bad month... with BD players now dropping below $200, PS3 will have a bit less push from BD...

Wii just sold tons...and tons... and few more tons.

360 had a great month,like others have said the PS3 really needs a price drop.

llTll said:
PlayStation 3 190K

Xbox 360 371K
Wii 803K

so the 360 double the sales of the PS3. yet.. its not really high even tho there is price drop and big games out for 360.

and little big planet sold so low its not really funny. how many days are covered in the NPD of little big planet sales?
MEH It was PS3 fans touting its superior lineup, one they said was better than 360 for the holidays. LBP was susposed to hoist PS3 over Wii sells

FrankT

jett said:
bububu fallout 3 sold 4 gazillions. WTF was that bullshit?

and lulz at LBP.

Garnett Fallout 3 steamrolling Fable II coming to mind heh. Not to mention Bonus Round comment on Fable II not performing all that well, hehe.

BishopLamont said:
Dead Space really deserves more.

The worst thing is that Dead Space is one of the best games to come from EA in the last decade, and yet it will be outsold easily by their many tired and stale franchises.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well the 360 just stole all the PS3's momentum. I guess we can now say the rankings....

1) Wii
2) 360
3) PS3

Sony.. from #1... to just :lol This is good for the market though, competition.

Pachael

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I sense a lot of spin is incoming. Oh, and those of you talking about LBP only having four days of sales - be aware that game sales tend to be incredibly front-loaded, especially on a non-market-leader console. What next month's LBP sales will show will be its legs, if any.

There's always spin in a sales thread!

Haunted

Stumpokapow said:
Wii Play lifetime sales in US: 7,134,000
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas PS2 lifetime sales in the US: 6,970,000

(yes, that does mean what you think it means, Wii Play is the best-selling single SKU title ever.)
oh mah gawd

mr_nothin

Banned
I guess this is why the embargo for KZ2 MULTIPLAYER ended today.

Sony's attempt at trying to overshadow these horrible numbers.

Yes Boss!

Private Hoffman said:
Not really.

Actually, I was wrong. PS3 sales are slightly up from September on a week-to-week basis.

September was a 5 week month, October was a 4 week month.

PS3 should have sold 185k based on September's figures. It did 190k. And traditionally the holiday bump doesn't occur until November unless a big title releases in October or September.

Last year, the PS3's sales actually declined on a week to week basis from September to October.

I don't think PS3 sales are 'great', just not 'miserable'. 360 sales are phenomenal, obviously, which in a relative position makes their sales look poor in comparison. No one really said that the PS3 had terrible sales last month, from what I can recall.

:lol

You've got a long night ahead of you. Seriously, this is holiday season and the sales are pathetic.

That said, LBP is the year's best game so at least that seems to have traction.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It'd be nice if LBP did a million world wide by year end. It should be past 500k now if Europe did its part (i.e. round about the same as NA). Fingers crossed..

Really low PS3 hardware numbers, though. The choice not to price cut might require a few months of 'grimacing through' for Sony.

Minsc

Gold Member
Little Big Planet beat Fallout 3 in its performance against my expectations. Pretty nice, not exceptional sales, but not poor either. LBP's (and Fallout 3) will be very interesting to see next month.

Wii has fucked over a lot of people's predictions this month I think, and who knows, it could have a shot at 2M next and possibliy 3M for the 5 week (?) december! Damn, that's scary. 5M sales in 2 months, that would be crazy!

What about Wii Music, Guitar Hero's bombs were mentioned, but I'm not sure if Wii Music was released in time for NPD.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
_leech_ said:
Software's delivering. I'm pretty sure when Jack Trenton said it was going to be the "year of the PS3", he wasn't talking to people who horde NPD threads.

They should update the link in your tag to reflect this month's NPD, much more appropriate.

Alright, what the fuck is it going to take for 3rd party developers to start taking the Wii seriously and delivering genuine blockbuster games? You can't just release a string of ports, remakes, and B level material while the user base balloons and then turn around and cry about not being able to compete with Nintendo software. I mean, what the fuck are they waiting for at this point? The amount of wasted opportunity is mind boggling.

yoopoo

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Wtf @ people saying bad things about the LBP sales.

The game was out for 3 days and wasn't even marketed that much (relatively speaking).
Speevy said:
Those are GREAT numbers for 3 days and niche genre.
Rapping Granny said:
2 day sales for LBP sweeet.

fucking Sony , drop the price.
Zophar said:
WTF at people bemoaning the LBP sales. The game was only *really* on shelves for three days, not to mention there was probably even some confusion about the game even being available thanks to the recall.
:lol

MS comforts Sony

article-1062504-02CE362600000578-104_468x396.jpg

Banned
November is usually double Oct sales so I am going to say the PS3 sales around 400,000 next moth which will be 66,000 lower than Nov 2007. Where are all the soccer moms that were going to buy PS3 for LBP?

Top Bottom