• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Rlan

BishopLamont said:
Third parties are clueless in general on how to appeal to the Wii userbase. They think minigames is the only way. Yet two out of the top three selling Wii games this month aren't minigames. Go figure.

And when they do take it seriously, they barely sell.

kiUNiT

Bluemercury said:
Even with that userbase third party developers dont move to the wii front....well lets see how much bleeding can they suffer from next gen titles.
Thank God for that, I'll take Fable 2 over Wii Fit any fucking day thanks.

harSon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Wii
[]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/PhoenixDark1/barack_obama.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/PhoenixDark1/john-mccain.jpg[/IMG]

PS3
[]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/PhoenixDark1/hillary.jpg[/IMG]

Hey! Obama has substance.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
oh and in case wii play becoming the best-selling single sku title ever wasn't funny enough, the list of best-selling multi-sku titles ever looks like this:

1. GTA San Andreas ~9.5 million
2. Guitar Hero 3 ~8.5 million
3. Madden NFL 07 ~7.7 million
4. GTA Vice City ~7.3 million
5. Wii Play 7,134,200

* the sims + expansions would be on top of this list, but pc numbers are scarce. vanilla sims / sims 2 would not be on this list, though.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ecierif said:
I thought Wii Music would be in the top 10. Its reception is lackluster compared to the rest of the "Wii ____" brand.
Its just a tough sell, especially as it is effectively in a crowded market along with GH and RB.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Warm Machine said:
Resistance 1 wasn't really that big of a game though was it?

I think you are thinking over Motorstorm and to a lesser extent, Resistance. Sony better hope that R2 does well. I gotten every game from Sony for the PS3 this year outside of NBA and Socom. They need to do some better advertising and some price cutting.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's up against such stiffer competition, though. Like, massively so. Banjo will probably do worse next month than LBP did this month, though, I bet.

I bet Banjo does worse in November than LBP does in November.

camineet

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Wii

PS3
hillary.jpg

inevitable :lol

Sadist

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Alright, what the fuck is it going to take for 3rd party developers to start taking the Wii seriously and delivering genuine blockbuster games? You can't just release a string of ports, remakes, and B level material while the user base balloons and then turn around and cry about not being able to compete with Nintendo software. I mean, what the fuck are they waiting for at this point? The amount of wasted opportunity is mind boggling.
Well, they see that Wii Music isn't selling I guess. ;)

And nice @ Y2Kev :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Zophar said:
Yeah it's not like these consoles are going to be on the market for another 4 years or anything

Don't spin dude. Face reality. This is like politics, there is a tendency, and even on the year of the PS3 as so many called it the machine is getting beat in USA, and on Japan the sales of the 360 are rising steadily, though not beating the PS3, it manages to ward off the difference worldwide.

There is a noticeable advantage of the 360 over the PS3, and you are fooling yourself if this will go to 2012.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
I think NPD only measured a week's worth of LBP sales. I'm sure the game will do at least MGS4 numbers, if not greater. We'll see how it fared in November's NPD results.

Nolan. said:
I think thats a bit of a stretch personally.

Frillen said:
:lol :lol :lol

Wow.

I don't see why you guys are having a problem with my claim.

You don't think LBP will end up doing MGS4 numbers, at the very least?

Speevy

Banned
Frillen said:
I'm sorry, but you need to look up the word "opinion" in the dictionary.

Of course it's an opinion, but I think you'll find that when we talk about this period in game design that LBP is the one that isn't forgotten.

Scotch

Private Hoffman said:
omg logic, y2kev

were september's ps3 numbers terrible?

The holiday season doesn't properly start until November.

Like I said before, last year the PS3's sales decreased from September to October on a week-to-week basis.

The bump doesn't really occur until November, though in some instances there is an earlier bump in September/October due to a big software release (such as Halo 3 last year).
October saw the release of SOCOM, Motorstorm 2 and LBP, not to mention a whole bunch of AAA third party games. It should have had a bigger bump than this.

Bah, who am I kidding, you're probably Shane B's joke account anyway.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Wow, people still hold on to the hope that 3rd parties will make a consistent string of good Wii games?

"It's like the Soprano's...It's OVERRR, find a new show".
Where there are still piles of cash to be raked in I will never call it over until the fat lady sings. The industry is not static.

spwolf

dawnXjustice said:
Looks like Wii Music BOMBA'd. (It was in the reporting period right?)

Wii Music was? heh.

2 months ago people would laugh at LBP outselling 1st party Wii game... and now LBP was supposed to do crazy numbers :D

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I wish NPD did LTD next to monthly like Media Create.

Just lol at Wii and Ds. It's like Nintendo and their casual friendly first party titles are their own industry.

Agent Icebeezy said:
I think you are thinking over Motorstorm and to a lesser extent, Resistance. Sony better hope that R2 does well. I gotten every game from Sony for the PS3 this year outside of NBA and Socom. They need to do some better advertising and some price cutting.

I didn't think that Resistance cracked 600k in NA. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong.

fernoca

To me Dead Space sales are actually higher than expected...
It wans't advertised, not even that many people even here got the game..it was rleeased in a really comptetitive month and still managed to make it to the Top 10 with just under 200k, ...and it's a new name/game...Silent Hill is more known and didn't made it...neither did FarCry 2.

Zachack

BishopLamont said:
Third parties are clueless in general on how to appeal to the Wii userbase. They think minigames is the only way. Yet two out of the top three selling Wii games this month aren't minigames. Go figure.
Wii Fit and Wii Play aren't minigames?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
tahrikmili said:
Year of the PS3 delayed to 2009 I guess..
I don't understant this type of talk. Do you not realize that as this year comes to a close, PS3 and 360 are almost neck and neck, despite 360 having a year-long headstart?

I thought LBP would do 200k so I'm glad that they hit that part. I did my part. But oh boy, the 360 is the third party king on this one.

Can't wait for the Tretton "Playstation family" spin.

sykoex said:
I don't understant this type of talk. Do you not realize that as this year comes to a close, PS3 and 360 are almost neck and neck, despite 360 having a year-long headstart?

And the PS3 is coming off a system with a 120 million install base and the 360 is coming off a system with a 30 million install base.

Top Bottom