• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official October 2008 NPD Results

Stumpokapow said:
Wii Play lifetime sales in US: 7,134,000
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas PS2 lifetime sales in the US: 6,970,000

(yes, that does mean what you think it means, Wii Play is the best-selling single SKU title ever.)
SuperMarioBros3.jpg

Zophar

Relix said:
Well the 360 just stole all the PS3's momentum. I guess we can now say the rankings....

1) Wii
2) 360
3) PS3

Sony.. from #1... to just :lol This is good for the market though, competition.
Yeah it's not like these consoles are going to be on the market for another 4 years or anything

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I think NPD only measured a week's worth of LBP sales. I'm sure the game will do at least MGS4 numbers, if not greater. We'll see how it fared in November's NPD results.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
_leech_ said:
Software's delivering. I'm pretty sure when Jack Trenton said it was going to be the "year of the PS3", he wasn't talking to people who horde NPD threads.

:lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You can't really bash the LBP numbers to be honest. It still won't be a mega success but 200k in a week's time is pretty damn good, especially for a game in a genre that barely anyone cares about anymore on a $400 system.

I wonder if LBP will do better next month. I mean, it did officially launch on the 28th, right? Those who pre-ordered (like myself) were able to get it on the 24th, then there were the rare cases when people got it before that.

Zerachiel

Did they reclassify Rock Band and Guitar Hero bundles as accessories inbetween months or something?

Also, color me surprised that Fable did so much better than Fallout. Did fallout not have much time on the market or something?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sadist said:
I can't wait for the PR spin from Sony. Spin Spin! Spin the Black Circle!

57% year on year increase (the biggest?), 2 top ten titles, PS family bigger than Xbox Family, impressive PS2 sales, great exclusives already on PS3 and many coming (names some games), great sales from two online games that proves something, etc... nothing new there, it's the same every month.

Y2Kev said:
Oh my god hoffman, just stfu.

omg logic, y2kev

were september's ps3 numbers terrible?

Yes Boss! said:
:lol

You've got a long night ahead of you. Seriously, this is holiday season and the sales are pathetic.

That said, LBP is the year's best game so at least that seems to have traction.

The holiday season doesn't properly start until November.

Like I said before, last year the PS3's sales decreased from September to October on a week-to-week basis.

The bump doesn't really occur until November, though in some instances there is an earlier bump in September/October due to a big software release (such as Halo 3 last year).

Leonsito

It will be really interesting see the impact of the economic crisis on next two months sales, at this moment seems like the industry is bulletproof, but let's wait...

PS3 didn't get a hardware boost, despite having a lot of new great games this month + 2 nice exclusives, and third party sales continue to be way better on the Xbox, but I think that Resistance 2 will get the machine great sales.

Speevy

Banned
I don't know why anyone is anything but miserable about LBP not doing a million.

I mean it did just fine, but it's clearly the best game of this year. There's nothing that's anywhere close. Not Gears 2, Fable 2, Metal Gear Solid 4. Resistance 2. Nothing. LBP has taken console gaming to another level.

Everyone should want it to sell, and should hate a market that keeps it from all but the highest levels of success.

clashfan

_leech_ said:
Software's delivering. I'm pretty sure when Jack Trenton said it was going to be the "year of the PS3", he wasn't talking to people who horde NPD threads.

Trenton doesn't give a rats fat ass about "software delivering", all he cares about is big PS3 sales. This can't make him happy...

Linkzg said:
I wonder if LBP will do better next month. I mean, it did officially launch on the 28th, right? Those who pre-ordered (like myself) were able to get it on the 24th, then there were the rare cases when people got it before that.

It's up against such stiffer competition, though. Like, massively so. Banjo will probably do worse next month than LBP did this month, though, I bet.

Private Hoffman said:
omg logic, y2kev

were september's ps3 numbers terrible?

I think what he's trying to get at is that sales always increase during October since that is the pre-entry of the holiday season. The 360 and the Wii increased however the PS3 did not. Thus the PS3 has fallen behind.

Frillen

dirtmonkey37 said:
I think NPD only measured a week's worth of LBP sales. I'm sure the game did at least MGS4 numbers, if not greater. We'll see how it fared in November's NPD results.

:lol :lol :lol

Wow.

Scum

Captain Smoker said:
It is, but imo it's not that awesome, accessories sales are always quite good. :)
Yeah, that true. But for me, it's the "...showing up every month for nearly 2 years." that I find astounding. :p

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
November is going to be monstrous software-wise for the 360 once again... Gears, Fable leftovers, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty, Banjo, Mirror's Edge... wow

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Alright, what the fuck is it going to take for 3rd party developers to start taking the Wii seriously and delivering genuine blockbuster games? You can't just release a string of ports, remakes, and B level material while the user base balloons and then turn around and cry about not being able to compete with Nintendo software. I mean, what the fuck are they waiting for at this point? The amount of wasted opportunity is mind boggling.

Wow, people still hold on to the hope that 3rd parties will make a consistent string of good Wii games?

"It's like the Soprano's...It's OVERRR, find a new show".

DMeisterJ

Banned
PS3 sales and LBP sales are tragic. :'(

Coming from a PS3 owner, this makes me very sad to see these numbers, but the truth is, they are horrible. No way to spin it positively. I just hope that LBP does good, cause I fucking love that game.

ecierif

I thought Wii Music would be in the top 10. Its reception is lackluster compared to the rest of the "Wii ____" brand.

JudgeN

What are people talking about ? LBP sold about what normal people thought it would have. Its a great game but we all knew it wasn't going to sale 500k, at least the realist of course the people going "LOL LBP sales suck :lol " aren't realist at all. No one pegged it as the savior of PS3 sales, it was pegged as PS3 GOTY or all around GOTY.

Glix

Opus Angelorum said:
The worst thing is that Dead Space is one of the best games to come from EA in the last decade, and yet it will be outsold easily by their many tired and stale franchises.

Hopefully Mirrors Edge doesn't suffer the same fate! :(

Both games are great, and along with NHL's 08 and 09, have totally made me do a 180 on how I feel about EA!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Leonsito said:
It will be really interesting see the impact of the economic crisis on next two months sales, at this moment seems like the industry is bulletproof, but let's wait...

PS3 didn't get a hardware boost, despite having a lot of new great games this month + 2 nice exclusives, and third party sales continue to be way better on the Xbox, but I think that Resistance 2 will get the machine great sales.

Had 3. Motorstorm is there as well IIRC

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
_leech_ said:

L.O.L.

You can't be serious, dude.

Leonsito said:

Resistance 1 wasn't really that big of a game though was it?

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Alright, what the fuck is it going to take for 3rd party developers to start taking the Wii seriously and delivering genuine blockbuster games? You can't just release a string of ports, remakes, and B level material while the user base balloons and then turn around and cry about not being able to compete with Nintendo software. I mean, what the fuck are they waiting for at this point? The amount of wasted opportunity is mind boggling.
Third parties are clueless in general on how to appeal to the Wii userbase. They think minigames is the only way. Yet two out of the top three selling Wii games this month aren't minigames. Go figure.

Nolan.

dirtmonkey37 said:
I think NPD only measured a week's worth of LBP sales. I'm sure the game did at least MGS4 numbers, if not greater. We'll see how it fared in November's NPD results.

I think thats a bit of a stretch personally.

camineet

Banned
Wii: 803

Nintendo Wii TEH 800-pound gorilla!

o_O

Frillen

Speevy said:
I don't know why anyone is anything but miserable about LBP not doing a million.

I mean it did just fine, but it's clearly the best game of this year. There's nothing that's anywhere close. Not Gears 2, Fable 2, Metal Gear Solid 4. Resistance 2. Nothing. LBP has taken console gaming to another level.

Everyone should want it to sell, and should hate a market that keeps it from all but the highest levels of success.

I'm sorry, but you need to look up the word "opinion" in the dictionary.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damnit people, buy Dead Space! I don't care for which console, just buy it.

spwolf

gofreak said:
It'd be nice if LBP did a million world wide by year end. It should be past 500k now if Europe did its part (i.e. round about the same as NA). Fingers crossed..

Really low PS3 hardware numbers, though. The choice not to price cut might require a few months of 'grimacing through' for Sony.

it is quite possible that Sony cant do the price drop (losing too much money)... it is simply hard to sell $400 PS3 when competitors are at $199 and $249, forget the actual value in it... When you are in squeze for cash, you go for $199 and pay extra for HDD and other things when you can (if ever).

LBP will do more than a mil - it was both delayed and avail in limited quantities on Oct 28th.

When economy is down, most expensive things get hurt the most...

yoopoo

Banned
_leech_ said:
The whole "wait till x" meme is so tired, fuel by sales junkies who can't complain about "it has no games" anymore.

_leech_ said:
He's lost it :lol

Top Bottom