• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

official Psychonauts ps2 discussion

The Xbox had load times too. :( They were long, but never annoyingly so. But that could be because the load screen is nice, so it never bothered me. :p

Speevy

Banned
It was a pretty quick load on the Xbox. Of course, I don't know what constitutes bad load times to most people.

Stryder

Yeah, the loading was a bit annoying for me when playing through on the PC version. I haven't compared the two so I couldn't really say if you've got the raw end of the deal with the PS2 version.

belgurdo

Banned
About the PC version: The game won't start and it tells me I need pixel shader support. What video cards have those?

belgurdo said:
About the PC version: The game won't start and it tells me I need pixel shader support. What video cards have those?
pretty much anything from the past 2 or 3 years i thought. My old Geforce 3 had rudiementary pixel shaders. The box says geforce 3 (but not 4mx) or radeon 8500 or higher.

Tortfeasor

Got it today!! It is FUGLY compared to the PC version, but it is such a great game! The little touches are great, and imho has the best voice acting this generation.

Bebpo

Banned
Tortfeasor said:
The little touches are great, and imho has the best voice acting this generation.

Yeah, the voice acting is top-notch. While I prefer the voice acting in his other games (mainly because the lead characters had cooler voices), I was really happy with Psychonauts' voice acting.

Speevy

Banned
They have no soul

OR

They already bought the Xbox version.

(see: Huge Psychonauts official thread around the time of the game's launch)

Speevy

Banned
psychonauts-20041013034348390.jpg

psychonauts-20041013034346218.jpg

psychonauts-20041013034347155.jpg

psychonauts-20041013034354952.jpg

psychonauts-20041013034344921.jpg

psychonauts-20041013034359139.jpg

psychonauts-20041013034401717.jpg

1113873647.jpg

1113873739.jpg

1110841078.jpg

561517_20041005_screen007.jpg

561517_20040203_screen010.jpg

561517_20040203_screen017.jpg

561517_20040203_screen021.jpg

561517_20040203_screen024.jpg

1110840743.jpg

001.jpg

1097169315.jpg

psychonauts-20050304012719011.jpg

1109036609.jpg

How much worse are the graphics on PS2 say compared to XBox version? A little more detail than "FUGLY" would be really appreciated.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'll be buying this as soon as possible even though I have no time to play it. Still not sure whether to buy it on PC or PS2. I've played the PC demo and thought the graphics weren't that great technically but overall I thought the demo was just awesome. I wonder how much worse looking PS2 version is...? (I didn't like the the keyboard controls in the game on PC btw, that's why I'm not sure if that's the version I should buy)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
never heard of the guy...

DOH!

You must have seen at least one of his movies I am sure

I'm sure you have heard his name too, because the trailers almost always mention his name for whatever movie they are pitching of his.

belgurdo

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
right...

The design does suck. I don't get the appeal for this game, it looks weird and I hate the art style.

Thanks for sharing. Now go to the highway that's nearest to you and stand in the middle of it

Doom_Bringer said:
right...

The design does suck. I don't get the appeal for this game, it looks weird and I hate the art style.

If you just look at the stills, yeah it does look a little weird and ugly but when you see it in motion and hear the characters talk you'll begin to appreciate it.

Tortfeasor

You can obviously see how the memory restrictions hurt the over all look of the game when it was ported to the PS2. Transparencies and textures in general suck. The tranparencies are the most noticable when looking at the figments, which look just plain bad compared to the PC version. The textures are not up to par and are low res and sometimes look really strange. Don't get me wrong though... The game is fantastic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sometimes I have trouble seeing figments because the transparencies. :(
I think that's the point, to not make them very obvious. I missed craploads of them in the demo I played, sometimes even realizing 20 seconds later "hmmmm, that place actually had bunch of figments and I missed them".

Btw, calling them figments because they are figments of imagination is just so subtly great :p

VALIS

Himuro said:
lmfao the lungfish level is fucking hilarious and sadisstically fun. :}

As much fun as you're having now, the next few levels are even better. Most original level designs e-v-e-r. Anywhere. Of all time. I'd marry Psychonauts and have it's children if I could.

Yeah, the figments are not easily seen even in the fantastic PC version. You have to keep an eye out and even then you'll invariably miss some.

The lungfish's brain level was ok-comical but the actual platforming mechanics were only so-so. Later levels truly branch off into the truly novel bizzare, where the game really shines (until it peters out a bit in the last couple of hours).

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Himuro said:
I don't care about the platforming in this one, it's just FUN. Way better than the Clank levels in Ratchet and Clank, even if they're very similar.

I like how there's a trillion things to collect, but it never seems mundane, ridiculous, or too much to do. Finding the secrets in this is just half the fun.

you are right on. It's my fave platformer this gen not because of mechanics, but because of soul.

M3wThr33

Banned
Okay. Now I hate Psychonauts.
First the developers rag on the Cube, so I cast a vote against them at G4TV.

Now you are saying Ratchet & Clank is boring?
Bite me.

Tortfeasor

M3wThr33 said:

Bite me.

Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter and this generations Spyro and Crash. They first games in the series were good, but the rest have been shovelware... You just can't develop a good game in 1 year without utilizing resources from previous versions.

Psychonauts just screams of originality.

Oneself

belgurdo said:
Original setting, maybe. It's as much a "collect shit" platformer as Crash/Jak/etc. are otherwise

In fact, Psychonauts is much more like a DK64 collect-a-ton with style. In Jak you got hidden eggs and ammos but nothing is required to adance further. And please, I don't want to run after stupid things to collect anymore... it's already a chore to collect, don't make them run away.

pj

Banned
Oneself said:
In fact, Psychonauts is much more like a DK64 collect-a-ton with style. In Jak you got hidden eggs and ammos but nothing is required to adance further. And please, I don't want to run after stupid things to collect anymore... it's already a chore to collect, don't make them run away.

Uhm, what the hell? The ONLY collecting you have to do is getting enough arrow heads for a diving rod, then getting enough arrow heads for the cobweb duster (which should take about 5 minutes at most). Figments and scavenger hunt items are COMPLETELY optional. In fact, Jak is much more like a DK64 colect-a-thon, because orbs ARE required to advance "oh hey, we just unlocked this new area, now we need twenty five orbs to power up this thing to get to the next area where you'll have to collect more orbs!"

M3wThr33 said:

Bite me.

Please tell me you're joking. Are you actually so fickle that you can't take a gc related joke? Tim schafer said that not putting it on GC was a business decision, a decision that majesco made. The thing on the site was A JOKE, and they also made fun of ps2 and xbox, why aren't you complaing about that? And you're really going to condemn a game because of a fan who prefers one game's platforming over another? I love ratchet and clank, but the platforming elements sure weren't the highlight of the game.

Oneself said:

Seriously, WTF. Have you even played Psychonauts? Like pj325is already stated, the only thing you have to get is some arrowheads (i.e. currency) so you can buy a cobweb duster otherwise you don't have to collect anything if you don't want to. It's absolutely nothing like DK64.

Speevy

Banned
Oneself said:

You haven't played Psychonauts for more than a few minutes? Like others have said, collecting (a la Super Mario Sunshine) is not required.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ratchet & Clank and Jak & Daxter and this generations Spyro and Crash. They first games in the series were good, but the rest have been shovelware... You just can't develop a good game in 1 year without utilizing resources from previous versions.
Both J&D1 and R&C1 are in fact the worst in the series. If you would play them in the order 3 -> 2 -> 1 you'd see it plain as day. Seriously, calling R&C3 'showelvare' is like calling Spliter Cell 3 showelware, or even Halo 2. It improves over the first two games in every conceivable way.

Raytow

I've never played a Lucasarts adventure game.
I weep for you.
About Psychonauts, i wonder what kind of adventure elements does the game have, inventory, multi-branch dialogue, old fashioned puzzles?

Raytow said:
I weep for you.
About Psychonauts, i wonder what kind of adventure elements does the game have, inventory, multi-branch dialogue, old fashioned puzzles?

No multi-branch dialogue but there are some rudimentary puzzle elements in some levels (The Milkman Conspiracy in particular) that'll seem very familiar to fans of the old Lucasarts adventure games.

Oneself

pj325is/Hitler.../Speevy :lol Yes I played Psychonauts, and more than 2 hours. I had it on Xbox and bought it the day it came out so STFU about this. I didn't say the game sucks, calm your horses.

About "required" items, I mean you have to collect things in order to add gameplay elements. You gain powers by collecting shit. I know you have to get orbs in order to advance in Jak for example, but WITHOUT searching for them you'd still go through the whole game (maybe not if you avoid them). If you hunt them down, you get special bonuses.. you don't get special powers.

So, Psychonauts is a fucking collect-a-ton and this is the only thing that turned me off the game. The soundtrack is OK, graphics are OK, the art style is awesome and it's one of the funniest games I've ever played. It's nothing really new, but it's well done.

pj

Banned
Oneself said:
pj325is/Hitler.../Speevy :lol Yes I played Psychonauts, and more than 2 hours. I had it on Xbox and bought it the day it came out so STFU about this. I didn't say the game sucks, calm your horses.

About "required" items, I mean you have to collect things in order to add gameplay elements. You gain powers by collecting shit. I know you have to get orbs in order to advance in Jak for example, but WITHOUT searching for them you'd still go through the whole game (maybe not if you avoid them). If you hunt them down, you get special bonuses.. you don't get special powers.

So, Psychonauts is a fucking collect-a-ton and this is the only thing that turned me off the game. The soundtrack is OK, graphics are OK, the art style is awesome and it's one of the funniest games I've ever played. It's nothing really new, but it's well done.

You must be talking about jak 2 or something, because in jak 1, you most certainly do have to hunt down orbs to progress. And that is what makes it more like DK 64 than psychonauts. IIRC, the only reason to collect shit in dk64 was to progress, but it's been a loooong time since I've played that. Collecting in Psychonauts is completely optional, aside from the cobweb duster.

And if you're going to use the "well, they're pretty much in your way so you'd have to TRY to avoid them" defense for jak, then I can apply that to psychonauts as well. You can easily get all the psychic powers by just collecting the figments that you find along the major gameplay routes in levels.

Top Bottom