• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Rune Factory Frontier Thread

Hobbun

zigg said:
Doesn't appear to. And I threw the box art on the scanner because you're such a nice guy. :)

OK, I think I might have been a little unclear. You don't have the option of using the d-pad at all for movement. It's reserved for food shortcuts.

Both Classic and Nunchuk setups work almost identically. There is no pointer control at all. I was kind of hoping for a square-selection option like there was in the DS Rune Factory.

The awkwardness stems from it being troublesome to get lined up perfectly with the square you want to water (or harvest, or hoe, or hammer). There's a targeting cursor in front of you and my complaint was that I don't have the digital precision of a d-pad for movement like I did in the DS Rune Factories; with that, lining up was a piece of cake. I only have the one 3×3 plot of turnips thus far (thanks Mist) and I have to sort of fudge with it three times to get started on each row.

Also, it's certainly not a review yet. :D I don't know when I'll be able to review it. I spent so long on the last game.

Oh, ok. I see what you mean. Yes, that is awkward. So I am guessing the only way to move when using the classic controller is with one of the analog sticks (guessing left one)?

Although I am not sure what you mean by "square-selection option". I have played the original Rune Factory on the DS (but it's been awhile) and I haven't played RF 2.

I know it isn't a review, but I had used "impression" at the end of the first paragraph and I didn't want to use it again at the beginning of the second paragraph, so I said "short review", instead. :D

zigg

Hobbun said:
Although I am not sure what you mean by "square-selection option". I have played the original Rune Factory on the DS (but it's been awhile) and I haven't played RF 2.

When dealing with fields in both RF and RF2, you could tap individual squares with your stylus, queueing up to nine at a time for harvesting or tool use. The only catch was that Raguna/Kyle/etc. might get stuck behind stumps or rocks, so you'd have to keep your thumb on the d-pad. That was a particularly nice feature for picking grasses and such.

Also: I'm told by Tathanen that in every 3-D Harvest Moon he's played, the problem with aiming your tool/harvesting/etc. is the same as I'm describing, in case you've got experience there. I started with Rune Factory and have never played a Harvest Moon, so...

MORE: sorry, missed this

Hobbun said:
Oh, ok. I see what you mean. Yes, that is awkward. So I am guessing the only way to move when using the classic controller is with one of the analog sticks (guessing left one)?

Yes. In fact, I don't remember what the right stick is for, if anything. Maybe it knocks on doors :lol

Sye d'Burns

Hobbun said:
Yeah, but Game Informer wasn't a fan of the original Rune Factory, so that isn't any surprise.

A lot of the review contains the same sort of complaints HM and RF have received since the beginning, Considering the reviewer obviously isn't a fan of the genre's grinding, it really is a pretty decent review and is probably slightly more optimistic than the following excerpts would lead someone to believe.

Game Informer said:
Like all the Harvest Moon games before it, the Rune Factory series somehow manages to squeeze entertainment out of what would be considered tedious drudgery in real life.
Game Informer said:
If you've had trouble in the past balancing your virtual chores against your make-believe social calandar, you might want to purchase a day planner before proceeding.
Game informer said:
The game's pacing is slower than slow, with a few fun diversions sprinkled in between long stretches of sameness.
Game informer said:
Even when it fails, though, Rune Factory: Frontier is packed with so many other activities that there's always more than enough to do. Just don't be surprised if you eventually stop sweating invading monsters in favor of watering your turnips.

Even with Prime, Amazon won't have my preorder to my door until 3/20. It's the one Wii game that I've really been waiting for and that extra couple of days is just salt in the wound.

Hobbun

zigg said:
When dealing with fields in both RF and RF2, you could tap individual squares with your stylus, queueing up to nine at a time for harvesting or tool use. The only catch was that Raguna/Kyle/etc. might get stuck behind stumps or rocks, so you'd have to keep your thumb on the d-pad. That was a particularly nice feature for picking grasses and such.

Also: I'm told by Tathanen that in every 3-D Harvest Moon he's played, the problem with aiming your tool/harvesting/etc. is the same as I'm describing, in case you've got experience there. I started with Rune Factory and have never played a Harvest Moon, so...

MORE: sorry, missed this

Yes. In fact, I don't remember what the right stick is for, if anything. Maybe it knocks on doors :lol

Oh, ok. I never used the stylus to tap individual squares, probably why I didn't know about it. :lol Thanks.

But if the "problem" with moving and targetting squares is no worse than the first RF, then I don't have an issue with that. I agree, there were times I accidently watered/hoed/chopped/etc. a different location than intended, but it wasn't anything major and definitely not to the extent affected the enjoyment of the game.

I tried using the tap-to-farm feature in the original RF but found it was just faster to do things manually. I didn't like how you still had to hold down R to run while Raguna worked and that he would get suck on obstacles. It was also a bit tedious to tap each tile as the screen shifted around while he ran.

Where are you guys finding the Game Informer review? It does sound like the reviewer dosen't enjoy HM titles.

I hope some other reviews are more favorable. Bozon from IGN likes HM games I think. This series needs all the exposure it can get.

zigg

Hobbun said:
But if the "problem" with moving and targetting squares is no worse than the first RF, then I don't have an issue with that. I agree, there were times I accidently watered/hoed/chopped/etc. a different location than intended, but it wasn't anything major and definitely not to the extent affected the enjoyment of the game.

It's functionally no different, but it annoys me more because of the analog control, basically, getting lined up feels a lot more difficult. YMMV. Not a deal-killer in any event—with or without it, I want to be home working on clearing my field, not in the office writing JavaScript—just the thing that bugged me the most.

Hobbun

Sye d'Burns said:
A lot of the review contains the same sort of complaints HM and RF have received since the beginning, Considering the reviewer obviously isn't a fan of the genre's grinding, it really is a pretty decent review and is probably slightly more optimistic than the following excerpts would lead someone to believe.

Ok, thanks for the quotes from Game Informer's review. That is what I was thinking, that he just didn't like the RF series overall as he gave both (original RF and Frontier) low scores.

The thing is, I like the gameplay of RF, so it sounds like I will like Frontier as well.

Sye d'Burns said:
Even with Prime, Amazon won't have my preorder to my door until 3/20. It's the one Wii game that I've really been waiting for and that extra couple of days is just salt in the wound.

I didn't receive my standard phone call from Gamestop last night to say the game is coming in today (I preordered). However, I talked to the store manager this morning and he thinks it will be coming in today. But won't find out for sure until he gets his UPS shipment list in.

Sorry to hear about the delay through Amazon. But that's the one reason I don't order through Amazon when I want to purchase a game/movie on release day, they are always a few days late at least, usually even more.

Hobbun

zigg said:
It's functionally no different, but it annoys me more because of the analog control, basically, getting lined up feels a lot more difficult. YMMV. Not a deal-killer in any event—with or without it, I want to be home working on clearing my field, not in the office writing JavaScript—just the thing that bugged me the most.

Yeah, I can see what you are probably saying. The analog stick is probably a little too sensitive. Too bad you don't have the option to use the d-pad for movement. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I mean it isn't like you are rushed (unless you are trying to do a speed run for amount of days). And I don't see the analog stick being an issue for running around when fighting.

And I hear you about not wanting to be at work. In the same boat. I would rather be at home playing it right now than being at work. I really shouldn't be on this forum and sending messages. :lol

zigg said:
Doesn't appear to. And I threw the box art on the scanner because you're such a nice guy. :)

OK, I think I might have been a little unclear. You don't have the option of using the d-pad at all for movement. It's reserved for food shortcuts.

Both Classic and Nunchuk setups work almost identically. There is no pointer control at all. I was kind of hoping for a square-selection option like there was in the DS Rune Factory.

The awkwardness stems from it being troublesome to get lined up perfectly with the square you want to water (or harvest, or hoe, or hammer). There's a targeting cursor in front of you and my complaint was that I don't have the digital precision of a d-pad for movement like I did in the DS Rune Factories; with that, lining up was a piece of cake. I only have the one 3×3 plot of turnips thus far (thanks Mist) and I have to sort of fudge with it three times to get started on each row.

Also, it's certainly not a review yet. :D I don't know when I'll be able to review it. I spent so long on the last game.

Wow, thanks for snapping a photo of the whole thing, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! :D

Shame about the lack of Dolby Pro Logic II, and you would've said so if it was said so in the game, like de Blob even though the logo wasn't on the box.

Small nitpick, why does it say (C) 2007 Nintendo? It keeps changing and it should either say 2006 when the Wii launched or the current year (2009)? /nitpick

Then again, the game was released in Japan back in 2008, when games were commonly said (C) 2007 Nintendo, now a days it's more commonly (C) 2006 Nintendo.

Oh well, that ain't changing my mind about any game. :p

Volcynika

Hope the game doesn't jump into "hard to find" status, since I still gotta wait to see if I can even buy it before the end of next week!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hero of Legend said:
Same. :(
It should be out tomorrow.

Yep, along with Suikoden Tierkreis.
I'm pretty sick and lost my voice a few days ago, so I walked into the store today, quite literally holding a piece of paper with 4 games written on it, and just showed it to the dudes at the register. Sadly, I could only cross off two games once I was done. Resistance Retribution and Valkyrie Profile are mine. But Rune Factory and Suikoden elude me.

Mejilan said:
Yep, along with Suikoden Tierkreis.
I'm pretty sick and lost my voice a few days ago, so I walked into the store today, quite literally holding a piece of paper with 4 games written on it, and just showed it to the dudes at the register. Sadly, I could only cross off two games once I was done. Resistance Retribution and Valkyrie Profile are mine. But Rune Factory and Suikoden elude me.

Glad you got at least two of the games you wanted.

Hope you get RFF and ST tomorrow/soon and that your voice gets better. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hero of Legend said:
Glad you got at least two of the games you wanted.
Hope you get RFF and ST tomorrow/soon and that your voice gets better. :)

Thanks. Dude kindly gave me a card to call back tomorrow regarding Suiko and Rune Factory, then laughed when he took a second look at my note and realized that I wouldn't likely be able to use the phone. :D

Prax

Do you think they will make a girl-main character version with bachelors? >_>

Even though I'm perpetually disappointed by the selection for Harvest Moon games, this art style looks decent (Tree of Tranquility/Animal March's style totally doesn't do it for me. lol)

zigg

Prax said:
Do you think they will make a girl-main character version with bachelors?

RF2 kinda had that, once you got to second gen (which was the meat of the game).

P.S. I feel bad for you all! Hopefully you can get it soon...

ne1

I've been meaning to give the series a try and have no real experience of HM/RF before; would you recommend going for Frontier or RF2? I know it's a probably way to early to really tell but the screenshots make my ordering finger itch. :lol

Hobbun

ne1 said:
I've been meaning to give the series a try and have no real experience of HM/RF before; would you recommend going for Frontier or RF2? I know it's a probably way to early to really tell but the screenshots make my ordering finger itch. :lol

To be honest, you might want to play RF 1. It looks like Frontier shares many characters from the first game and I hear it takes place not long after RF 1 ends.

You don't have to play both to understand Frontier (at least I am assuming) but if you are one of those who wants the "whole" story you might want to play the first one.

Hobbun

Last night I received my automated message from Gamestop, so I know it is coming out today. Will be picking it up after work.

zigg

ne1 said:

It's too early to either recommend or steer you away from Frontier, basically. I think I've put maybe 4-5 hours into it and I've not even really scratched much of the surface.

I can heartily recommend RF2, though. It improved on the original so much, and the job board was a great way of driving character stories and never leaving you empty-handed as far as things to do. It stands on its own, too; it doesn't really tie into RF's story. I'm not sure you need to have played RF before RFF if you care about the story's integrity (thus far it hasn't been an issue), but that might change as I play more. About the only problem with going RF2 first is that if you decide you do want to continue with the series, you might get irritated with RF. :lol

If I had to hazard a guess at this very early juncture, it'll be RF2 > RFF > RF. But I still haven't even seen some of RFF's systems (still no Runey harvester...) so that's up in the air, really.

Hobbun

zigg said:
It's too early to either recommend or steer you away from Frontier, basically. I think I've put maybe 4-5 hours into it and I've not even really scratched much of the surface.

So it's still questionable on the fun factor or quality of RFF? I guess I was hoping, as you have played a good amount of time (4-5 hours), it was evident it is just as good as the prior RF games (including 2).

Let me ask you this, from what you have played so far, do you feel it is as good as the prior RF's?

Well, I still plan on purchasing it either way. What I have heard is more favorable than not.

zigg

Hobbun said:
So it's still questionable on the fun factor or quality of RFF? I guess I was hoping, as you have played a good amount of time (4-5 hours), it was evident it is just as good as the prior RF games (including 2).

Let me ask you this, from what you have played so far, do you feel it is as good as the prior RF's?

No, its fun/quality is not questionable—it is good and it is definitely Rune Factory. But if someone's asking me which of the three I prefer, thus far it's RF2 > RFF > RF. And that could change, like I said. RF2 just did a lot right and set a high bar. It's really hard to judge a game like this on such a paltry amount of playtime.

So, yes, to answer your question, it is as good so far.

Hobbun said:
Well, I still plan on purchasing it either way. What I have heard is more favorable than not.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Hobbun

zigg said:
No, its fun/quality is not questionable—it is good and it is definitely Rune Factory. But if someone's asking me which of the three I prefer, thus far it's RF2 > RFF > RF. And that could change, like I said. RF2 just did a lot right and set a high bar. It's really hard to judge a game like this on such a paltry amount of playtime.

So, yes, to answer your question, it is as good so far.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Ok, great.

What you are saying actually makes me want to play RF2 more and more now, as well. But I still want to finish RF1 (I know, I'm hopeless, but I have played through most of it) and I probably will play RFF, first.

Thanks!

ne1

Thanks for the input Hobbun and zigg!
I've gotten the impression that the story isn't all that important and since RF2 is $5 cheaper than 1 on vg+ I think I have to order it when I get home tonight. :D
It seems like a game that's very well suited for a portable too.

Hobbun

I went to do a search on if there will be a strategy guide for RFF and I found this: http://djbooks.easystorecreator.com...-the-official-strategy-guide-19421-detail.htm

I am guessing since DJ is selling an e-guide, you won't see a physical copy in the store.

I know a lot don't want/need to use guides, but I use them sometimes and the collector in me likes to buy them. I really like Double Jump guides, but an electronic one, meh. I hope this doesn't become the norm.

bryehn

Writing is funny so far. "I hope you weren't planning on saying that no matter what I chose"

:lol

You got Cheap Hoe!

So far so good. Game looks great, sounds great. No PLII but it really does sound nice.

zigg

Vorador said:
You can always laugh at Europeans

:(

:(

bryehn/anyone else, if you get the Runey harvester, tell me where you got it. XSEED sent along a walkthrough-looking thing with the game but I'll be damned if I'm going to go flipping through it and spoil things for myself.

Hobbun

Zigg, I know you said you have only played 4-5 hours so far, but does it seem the upgrades for the tools make a difference.

I know with the original RF the first couple upgrades were worthwhile, but with the later upgrades, it got to a point where it took so long to charge, it was just better to charge enough for a smaller amount of squares instead of waiting until the tool is fully charged to do the max amount of squares.

Got it! :D

I'm super impressed that XSEED kept the 2D opening completely intact, including leaving in the Japanese text in the logo!

I also laughed at the "I hope you weren't planning on saying that no matter what I chose" line! :lol

I'm having fun so far! How do you do that move that waters all 9 squares?

Hobbun

Hero of Legend said:
Got it! :D

I'm super impressed that XSEED kept the 2D opening completely intact, including leaving in the Japanese text in the logo!

I also laughed at the "I hope you weren't planning on saying that no matter what I chose" line! :lol

I'm having fun so far! How do you do that move that waters all 9 squares?

I can't say for sure as I haven't played it, but if it is like the previous two RF's, you need to upgrade your watering can to water more squares.

zigg

Don't have any tool upgrades yet. I'm hoping to get a forge soon so I can do so; the blacksmith won't upgrade for me (story justification is given for this.) I might be taking it a little "slow", perhaps, but I intend to savor this game. :) I do fully expect the 3×3 can upgrade to help tremendously, though, as I only will have to aim once for every plot.

Hero: RF2 started you out with a 3×3-capable can then gimped it in 2nd gen, but you could reforge it until it did 9×9. If it follows the same path it'll be one square, then 1×3, 3×3, 5×5, and finally 9×9 (requiring rarer metals and higher forging levels each time.) Nothing I have yet is chargeable, but I imagine it'll be a button-hold to charge.

Anyway, off to play, late into the night!

haowan said:
11 months or 10 at a stretch then you PEDANT

Sorry for the late response, but since it seems you can't count lets have a lesson in the months: December (1), January (2), February (3), March (4). Congrats, that's FOUR MONTHS. I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. (Also, nice use of Pedant, I love that word :D)

Just got my copy.

Manual has more pages than I expected, 48 pages including the covers.

Will dive into this after finishing up Pikmin. Man, first three months of 2009 have been great for Wii.

Hobbun

I haven't played the game yet, but is there some way to pan your view around? I ask because some pics of the game I see you are looking almost straight down (similar to the first two RF's) and views where you are almost eye level to Raguna. That view looks like it would be awkward and difficult to farm with as it is harder to see the rows.

Much easier with the top down view. Is there a way to switch back and forth?

zoku88

This thread made me buy Rune Factory 2 for DS. Depending on how I like that, I might decide to get this game. ^^

Picked it up today at Gamestop, played a few hours. It rocks.

The manual says crops merely grow slower if you forget to water them. Didn't they used to wither? I like the change. It seems that everything has moved towards temporary consequences. Your time is the most significant resource, especially since time passes even in the dungeon.

I'm on the fifth game day and I have most of the tools. I built a barn and I have one pet monster. My first turnip harvest came in just in time for me to hopefully buy some forge or kitchen equipment on the weekend. My stamina (sorry, rune power) is the limiting factor in how much I get done each day.

Top Bottom