• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Rune Factory Frontier Thread

kiryogi

Banned
metta said:
I just hit Summer in my game and am about to expand my forge :)

@kiryogi

The DS versions were a little flat, being isometric, but I always thought they were gorgeous. Easily some of the best looking games on the system.

Thing tho, it was all prerendered backdrops >_< It's really nice to see it all done in real time here. Not too many games pull off the full 3d on the DS that well for the backdrops. Though a really good example was Tales of Hearts. Amazing backdrops.

Cheebs

Is this more of an action rpg or harvest moon? I used to LOOOOVE harvest moon but I am not a big fan of most type of rpg's.

zigg

Hero of Legend said:
Good thing I had all of those Energy Drinks, it was close but I killed it.

Don't know what's next though. I guess I'll find out in a few days perhaps.

You know, I have no idea what's next either! I wandered his room for awhile and eventually set out, thinking, hey, someone always came in here post-boss-battle and talked to me before :lol

Cheebs said:
Is this more of an action rpg or harvest moon? I used to LOOOOVE harvest moon but I am not a big fan of most type of rpg's.

Hovers pretty close to 50/50 the way I play it, but you can really play it a number of different ways.

So, forging. And cooking, since it uses the same system.

I think it might be too easy. I really appreciate not having to look up, memorize, and re-drag the ingredients over and over again until I succeeded like I did in the DS games, but I can pretty easily forge something 20 levels above my forging level because it's really not that hard to hit "A" when it gets in the blue zone.

The way it seems to work is that the closer your forging level is to the level of the thing you're trying to make, the bigger the blue zone is; green zones don't even appear if you're far enough away, but those can be easier to hit as you get higher in level too.

I guess I'm not really complaining—being able to forge an Earth Shade basically meant the difference between constantly revisiting the Green Ruins, effectively grinding, vs. actually succeeding at last—but it feels a bit like I'm cheating here! Rune Factory is not supposed to be a walk in the park :lol

Cheebs

Thanks. 50/50...hmmm. Is it as open ended as HM? As in you can technically continue your farming life more or less as long as you want and aren't forced to a ending of the game via the rpg elements?

zigg

Cheebs said:
Thanks. 50/50...hmmm. Is it as open ended as HM? As in you can technically continue your farming life more or less as long as you want and aren't forced to a ending of the game via the rpg elements?

I believe so with Frontier, yeah. I know that was the case in the past two games (there was one bride you couldn't even begin to court in the original RF before the game was up), and as for Frontier, producer/creator Yoshifumi Hashimoto said

Once the main quest is over, that doesn’t mean the game is over so you can rest assured in that respect. There are users who like to progress the main quest while others would just like to expand their fields. This allows each and every user to play this game however they want. Aside from the open-ended gameplay, there are also many quests that can be received so I encourage everyone to try out everything that’s available.

Soulfire

Does anyone know where I can find chestnuts? I'm trying to woo Eunice and evidently chocolate is not sweet enough for her.

Soulfire said:
Does anyone know where I can find chestnuts? I'm trying to woo Eunice and evidently chocolate is not sweet enough for her.

I haven't seen any yet, so I can't help you there. :(

I've done the Boat Race event, it seems impossible to win 1st Place, as the winning person (tried it twice, it was random), has like 300 points, and the most I got was 227. :/

I don't really see anything to spoiler tag, as long as it's not story related. Besides isn't the Boat Race in the Calender anyway. :p

My Pink Cat Flowers (all 15 fields of them, sans a few individual ones that were killed in the thunderstorm) are just about ready to be harvested. As are my three fodder fields.

Why would I really need fodder if it seems that the animals never run out of it? All this time and they seem to be fine. How long does it take for them to run out?

Geez, this is both more confusing and simpler than in AWL, at least in AWL you could easily tell when you need to do something for your animals and can easily get fodder, but here...

Plus I liked the more complex system in AWL better, like breeding, tending to them when sick, and you quickly got your clipping tools and are able to milk cows ASAP.

I have no fucking clue how to clip Woolie wool, milk the Bufamoo, get eggs from the Cluckies, etc.

I assume they thought bringing over those kind of animal caring elements would've over complicated the game?

zigg

Hero of Legend said:
Why would I really need fodder if it seems that the animals never run out of it? All this time and they seem to be fine. How long does it take for them to run out?

Geez, this is both more confusing and simpler than in AWL, at least in AWL you could easily tell when you need to do something for your animals and can easily get fodder, but here...

I haven't been keeping track of feed yet, but you can see your remaining feed on the "Barn" status screen. I believe it was one unit per monster per day in past games.

I couldn't figure out how to load feed that I bought from Erik into the barn. In past RF games you could stick it into the hole in the front of the barn, but that didn't seem to work here. Just started growing the stuff instead. Shouldn't be too long before my farm is mostly hands-off!

Hero of Legend said:
Plus I liked the more complex system in AWL better, like breeding, tending to them when sick, and you quickly got your clipping tools and are able to milk cows ASAP.

I have no fucking clue how to clip Woolie wool, milk the Bufamoo, get eggs from the Cluckies, etc.

Never seen an animal get sick in any RF game, and this is the first one with any kind of breeding at all, though I've not done that myself yet. Past RF games had the clippers/milker/basket but apparently now you just use the Harvester for everything. Which, frankly, I approve of, keeps my inventory thinner.

zigg said:
So, forging. And cooking, since it uses the same system.

I think it might be too easy. I really appreciate not having to look up, memorize, and re-drag the ingredients over and over again until I succeeded like I did in the DS games, but I can pretty easily forge something 20 levels above my forging level because it's really not that hard to hit "A" when it gets in the blue zone.

The way it seems to work is that the closer your forging level is to the level of the thing you're trying to make, the bigger the blue zone is; green zones don't even appear if you're far enough away, but those can be easier to hit as you get higher in level too.

I guess I'm not really complaining—being able to forge an Earth Shade basically meant the difference between constantly revisiting the Green Ruins, effectively grinding, vs. actually succeeding at last—but it feels a bit like I'm cheating here! Rune Factory is not supposed to be a walk in the park :lol

If something is high enough in level, around 30 or so more than your skill, you fail instantly.

Sye d'Burns

zigg said:
I haven't been keeping track of feed yet, but you can see your remaining feed on the "Barn" status screen. I believe it was one unit per monster per day in past games.

I couldn't figure out how to load feed that I bought from Erik into the barn. In past RF games you could stick it into the hole in the front of the barn, but that didn't seem to work here. Just started growing the stuff instead. Shouldn't be too long before my farm is mostly hands-off!

Never seen an animal get sick in any RF game, and this is the first one with any kind of breeding at all, though I've not done that myself yet. Past RF games had the clippers/milker/basket but apparently now you just use the Harvester for everything. Which, frankly, I approve of, keeps my inventory thinner.

To put fodder you've purchased in the barn you just walk up to the hole by the barn door and press A, it will give you the option of adding it.

I think I've stumbled upon a glitch. My first save I was about 5 hours in (1 week game time) and I decided to restart since I felt like I had the controls down and that I knew what I needed to do to start off with a solid foundation.

Part of this involved planting grass in preparation for purchasing a barn. Everything was going well, I had my barn two days before the fodder was due to be harvested, upgraded some tools, the works. Now for some fool reason I can't add fodder at all.

I've planted a new plot, hoping that it was just my initial crop of fodder that was broken, no difference. Finally I went and purchased some from Eric and tried to add it manually. My fodder disappeared from my inventory, but when I checked, the barn still showed I had none.

In my original save I didn't have issues with adding fodder at all. I wonder what I did to trigger it. As much as I'm loving the game, I'm a little put off restarting for the third time just yet.

Sye d'Burns

BobJustBob said:
You mean feed, right? You buy feed and that goes in the barn. Fodder has to be planted and cut to make feed.

Your mentioning feed got me thinking in ways that I no longer am apparently able to at 3am. In my first save I had a couple animals and had checked the book. It didn't occur to me until now that the book actually refers to feed.

Well, as soon as I read your post I had to go check. Pressing A at the place where you put feed/ fodder says 'You don't have any fodder.' Exactly the same as it's done no matter whether I buy or grow.

So, I loaded my save and cut a couple patches of grass. Then I went into the barn and checked the book. Sure enough I had 2 feed. Man, I spent probably an hour last night in trying in frustration to understand why my feed wasn't registering at the door. Thanks!

Well my weekend in Canada has come and gone and I'm still Frontier-less :(

FutureShop didn't even have it in stock, I should have known they wouldn't carry a niche game. Then I went over to Gamestop since I have a smaller giftcard for there, and while they had it, for some reason it was $60 and I refuse to pay that when it will be $50 everywhere else.

Who knows when FutureShop is going to have it in stock, I wish I had cash instead of a giftcard.

metta

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

FutureShop didn't even have it in stock, I should have known they wouldn't carry a niche game. Then I went over to Gamestop since I have a smaller giftcard for there, and while they had it, for some reason it was $60 and I refuse to pay that when it will be $50 everywhere else.

Who knows when FutureShop is going to have it in stock, I wish I had cash instead of a giftcard.

I'm in Canada (Toronto) and I've yet to see the game in any stores but I pre-ordered it from here:

www.videogamesplus.ca

The shipping is quite good, it was in my hands 3 days after launch. I've been using them for years, they're very reliable and the prices are in line with everyone else.

kenji said:
got it :D

where can i find an axe and a scythe?

Stella gives you an axe and Erik gives you a scythe but he only does it on a particular day when he's standing in the church. I can't remember when he goes to church, just check in there every day until you see him.

Hobbun

Why does it seem like Canada always receives their games later? I mean they are NA. Is it because of the much less population and population density?

Hobbun said:
Why does it seem like Canada always receives their games later? I mean they are NA. Is it because of the much less population and population density?

I'm in Canada, and got mine on the 18th!

Go to Toronto and look for the local EBGames. Found copies at the ones at Dundas (Eaton's Centre) and York Mills (In the Rogers where Longos is).

Good hunting to all of you!

Hobbun

Hero of Legend said:
I'm in Canada, and got mine on the 18th!

Go to Toronto and look for the local EBGames. Found copies at the ones at Dundas (Eaton's Centre) and York Mills (In the Rogers where Longos is).

Good hunting to all of you!

Well that's good. :)

I only asked that because I have heard more than once with other games where people in Canada do not receive their game for weeks. I remember it being a huge issue for Valkyria Chronicles.

Hobbun said:
Well that's good. :)

I only asked that because I have heard more than once with other games where people in Canada do not receive their game for weeks. I remember it being a huge issue for Valkyria Chronicles.

Well now all of you have useful hunting tips to find the game! ;)

VerTiGo

Banned
I'm fairly curious about pick this game up, but I've never tried Harvest Moon or Rune Factory. I don't like Animal Crossing much at all, because it feels like I'm doing nothing, but if there's a story and good enough RPG mechanics, like what RF:F -- I'm interested.

Does this game demand a lot of daily play or can I just go to it on the weekends and such? That's my main concern.

Bought this game on Saturday at EB in Square One. So It is in Canada.

I've actually put 24 hours into this game over the weekend. I haven't done that in a game in over 10 years.

Hobbun

Hero of Legend said:
Well now all of you have useful hunting tips to find the game! ;)

Hey, I don't need it. I live in IL and I got my game on the 18th, as well. :)

I was just curious why it seemed like Canada was later, and quite a bit later, sometimes.

Hobbun said:
Hey, I don't need it. I live in IL and I got my game on the 18th, as well. :)

I was just curious why it seemed like Canada was later, and quite a bit later, sometimes.

I know. :p

I guess that above comment was sort of aimed at everyone. :p

Glad you got it on time! :D

metta said:
I'm in Canada (Toronto) and I've yet to see the game in any stores but I pre-ordered it from here
Thanks for the link.

I actually live in the states but my girlfreind is canadian so I'm up there every weekend. I'm kinda on a spending lockdown
cause i'm saving up for a ring
so my canadian giftcards I got for christmas are my only hope.

VerTiGo said:
Does this game demand a lot of daily play or can I just go to it on the weekends and such? That's my main concern.
Rune Factory and Harvest Moon games differ from Animal Crossing in the sense that you aren't required to log on each day. RF/HM lets you play when you want and stop when you want. And since the timeflow is much faster rather than reatime, it always feels like your accomplishing something rather than "doing nothing" like AC makes you feel from time to time.

Hobbun

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Thanks for the link.

I actually live in the states but my girlfreind is canadian so I'm up there every weekend. I'm kinda on a spending lockdown
cause i'm saving up for a ring
so my canadian giftcards I got for christmas are my only hope.

Congrats!
I know you can still find rings in the toy jars at stores. Although maybe your gf probably would not appreciate that. :D

Hobbun said:
Congrats!
Thanks! It's a very exciting time in my life.

Back to Frontier, IGN has their Video Review up and I added it to the OP. I'm wondering why most of the big media sites haven't bothered to review this game yet.

Hobbun

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Thanks! It's a very exciting time in my life.

Back to Frontier, IGN has their Video Review up and I added it to the OP. I'm wondering why most of the big media sites haven't bothered to review this game yet.

Probably because it isn't considered a big name release (unfortunately). Like Resident Evil 5 or Killzone 2.

CTLance

If the game is very rare in the stores I guess their marketing budget is tight too, which in turn means no free review copies (or only a handful) - which in turn leads to a lack of reviews.

At least that's my theory.

Gratz/good luck with "that other thing". :D

Dave Long

Banned
They need to get the option to play as a girl into this series. My wife would dig this quite a bit without the forced wooing girls part of things. :(

Also... three save slots? Can we please get like five in these things? I have three boys... so three slots means at least two people in the family can't play.

Hobbun

Dave Long said:
Also... three save slots? Can we please get like five in these things? I have three boys... so three slots means at least two people in the family can't play.

Well, at least it gives more than RF1 & RF2, which give 2 slots each (at least I think RF2 gives only 2, I know RF1 does).

metta

Dave Long said:
They need to get the option to play as a girl into this series. My wife would dig this quite a bit without the forced wooing girls part of things. :(

I couldn't agree more.

Dave Long

Banned
Hobbun said:
Well, at least it gives more than RF1 & RF2, which give 2 slots each (at least I think RF2 gives only 2, I know RF1 does).
I can stomach it better on the DS because it's rare for us to be sharing a DS game. I just bought three Pokémon Platinums yesterday after all...

&#8976;_&#8976;

¬_¬

Hobbun

Dave Long said:
I can stomach it better on the DS because it's rare for us to be sharing a DS game. I just bought three Pokémon Platinums yesterday after all...

&#8976;_&#8976;

¬_¬

Your family certainly likes Pokemon. :D

kenji

metta said:
Stella gives you an axe and Erik gives you a scythe but he only does it on a particular day when he's standing in the church. I can't remember when he goes to church, just check in there every day until you see him.
thanks a lot! :D
got the axe, got the scythe, reached the second dungeon and bought a barn
i'm loving this game! :D

Dragmire

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I tried to get it from TRU since I have a gift card, but I waited all week last week and they never got it in. Gamestop, on the other hand, had it in on like Wednesday. I ended up buying it from Gamestop. The guy at TRU says they're probably not getting it in because it's not in their system. He looked it up online and their product number didn't show up in their in-store system, and apparently that means they probably won't get any copies. Too bad it isn't a big release, but hopefully at least what they did ship sells out. That means profit, right? :p

CTLance said:
If the game is very rare in the stores I guess their marketing budget is tight too, which in turn means no free review copies (or only a handful) - which in turn leads to a lack of reviews.

At least that's my theory.

When did this game come out? I just got my copy a few days ago.

I guess I should also feel bad that XSEED kinda messed up and sent me more than one copy! So it's rare you guys say?

Regarding reviews: as one who does them himself, I've always wondered how certain people could have theirs out just a day or so after the game's release. And I'm talking about RPGs of course. Obviously, some big outlets have exclusives, while others mostly based their opinions on the Japanese version, but for others... actually, I guess it's pretty obvious that many play the game for just three hours and that's it. Which of course is a shame.

Point being, hopefully everyone will see a few in the coming days or weeks. Though mine might have to take a while (currently playing three other RPGs at the moment, and I can't understand those who can play so many at once).

zigg

Official release was March 17. Most people got theirs last week. I guess others have been getting copies, but mine arrived from XSEED last Monday.

And yeah, I'm tossing around themes in my head, but I have 20 hours clocked and I've only cleared the Green Ruins.

Actually, that's a worthy question: what do you guys think? I'm pretty much 95% positive on the game at this point, would you feel cheated if you read a review I wrote this week? (I'm not going to do it, but I'm curious what the reaction would be.)

bryehn

metta said:
I'm in Canada (Toronto) and I've yet to see the game in any stores but I pre-ordered it from here:

www.videogamesplus.ca

The shipping is quite good, it was in my hands 3 days after launch. I've been using them for years, they're very reliable and the prices are in line with everyone else.

I had mine the day after launch and I'm in Ottawa. I can vouch that VG+ is generally awesome, though sometimes you'll end up paying $5 extra on some titles.

Dave Long

Banned
Gamestop definitely has it. I had it in my hand over the weekend.

This is the type of game you just can't count on appearing everywhere. Many buyers at big box retail chains aren't going to even bring it through the door because they don't understand it and/or never even talk to that publisher.

Hobbun

For those who have played the game, what is your opinion on Runeys?

I have read on a couple online user reviews that they find them clumsy, slow to collect, kind of random and confusing to use.

Have others found the same?

kiryogi

Banned
I absolutely love this game. I don't know if I praised or commented before about Rune Factory, but I think this game has the most variety in terms of character dialogue ever in a Harvest Moon. I'm always running into new lines, instead of the same old ones. Well they still repeat themselves too, but new ones tend to keep popping up keeping the interaction extremely fresh. Thus far, I don't know how I really feel about it in the end. I almost want to say it's beyond RF2 in terms of changes and fixes.

Any who, I'm almost up to summer now. Already got my kitchen upgraded, got a decent profit going. Finally got animals for my barn once my fodder was ready. :D

Final note, DJ is finally offering a publish on demand version of the guide for around $44 if anyones interested.

zigg

Hobbun said:
For those who have played the game, what is your opinion on Runeys?

I have read on a couple online user reviews that they find them clumsy, slow to collect, kind of random and confusing to use.

Have others found the same?

They take a lot to "get". They're certainly not as straightforward as your typical farming. And yeah, you need to run up and vacuum them up, usually several times in a given area, to harvest them.

That said, I find them rather addictive, to the point that I'm ignoring the quests again :D

Top Bottom