• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Rune Factory Frontier Thread

The wonderful impressions are only making the fact that I don't have this yet worse. Thanks guys!

I haven't heard much about the combat yet, but in the videos it looks a lot more fluid and enjoyable. Is this the case?

Hobbun

kiryogi said:
I absolutely love this game. I don't know if I praised or commented before about Rune Factory, but I think this game has the most variety in terms of character dialogue ever in a Harvest Moon. I'm always running into new lines, instead of the same old ones. Well they still repeat themselves too, but new ones tend to keep popping up keeping the interaction extremely fresh. Thus far, I don't know how I really feel about it in the end. I almost want to say it's beyond RF2 in terms of changes and fixes.

Any who, I'm almost up to summer now. Already got my kitchen upgraded, got a decent profit going. Finally got animals for my barn once my fodder was ready. :D

Final note, DJ is finally offering a publish on demand version of the guide for around $44 if anyones interested.

Yeah, I ordered one, myself. Sure, it is more expensive than pretty much any other strategy guide out there, but I always like a printed copy for my games as I am a bit of a collector, as well.

Also, I hear the printing is a lot higher quality (paper, procedure, etc.) than normal as it isn't mass produced.

Yesterday I actually won the boat race! :D

And my prize:

Cat Ears!

I finally harvested all 124 of my Pink Cat Flowers and got a truckload of cash for them.

I spent most of them on recipe books. :p

I want to make higher level swords, but to get the best start, I need higher level knife pieces, where do I find these?

Hobbun

zigg said:
They take a lot to "get". They're certainly not as straightforward as your typical farming. And yeah, you need to run up and vacuum them up, usually several times in a given area, to harvest them.

That said, I find them rather addictive, to the point that I'm ignoring the quests again :D

Ok, not sure what a lot of that means as "Runeys" are new to me being used in the way they are in RFF. :)

But they sound interesting. Thanks.

zigg

If anyone would like a detailed explanation of how Runeys work, I found this at GameFAQs. (Almost spoiler-free—avoid the paragraph that starts with "Runeys can also be used..." for one tiny one—unless you click on the entire thread, which also has some other info like gifts and what not.)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/detail.php?board=946789&topic=48767365&message=534267459

I'm kind of annoyed because I've been avoiding yellow areas; I thought that meant the Runeys were overpopulated. But now I have a concrete goal to work toward, so it's all good. :)

My game froze. :'(

I entered my house, then hit pause to go to the menu and then hit - to cycle to the Barn section, then it froze as it was changing.

Does this function perhaps a bit hard on the Wii?

I'm nervous. :'(

Oh, and I didn't get the buzzing noise.

zigg

Never had a freeze with Frontier myself... heck, I'm pretty sure I haven't
seen a single bug of any sort. Just a little awkward translation. :)

I do get occasional hangs elsewhere on Wii.

zigg said:
Never had a freeze with Frontier myself... heck, I'm pretty sure I haven't
seen a single bug of any sort. Just a little awkward translation. :)

I do get occasional hangs elsewhere on Wii.

Really? Like where?

bryehn

Scrubking said:
The more I deal with the runeys the more I dislike them. They are quickly becoming a chore instead of a fun feature.

I'm only using them to create the stones I need to unlock doors.

zigg

Hero of Legend said:
Really? Like where?

Mostly booting Wii Fit :lol

Runeys: I could see them having been done better, like, say, the ability to walk into an area and have the harvester suck up exactly x of each type of Runey you specify. They still end up feeling like less work than farming, though.

zigg said:
Mostly booting Wii Fit :lol

Runeys: I could see them having been done better, like, say, the ability to walk into an area and have the harvester suck up exactly x of each type of Runey you specify. They still end up feeling like less work than farming, though.

I emailed XSEED to see if they'd know if menu scrolling does put stress on the Wii and might indeed be the cause of it.

Considering you hear the Wii do that loading clicking everytime you do, makes me wonder.

Also... would it be also because each day I play the game, my Wii is on for like 12 hours straight? :p

bryehn

Hero of Legend said:
Considering you hear the Wii do that loading clicking everytime you do, makes me wonder.

Also... would it be also because each day I play the game, my Wii is on for like 12 hours straight? :p

Could be that yeah :lol

I learned my lesson when I was listening to my GameCube grind while playing Magical Melody. Short (well short for HM/RF) 3 hour sessions followed by a 20-30 minute break.

Scrubking

zigg said:
Anyone trying to breed monsters yet? I've got an egg in the corner of my barn...

Yeah right. I've been playing for almost 20 hours now and I feel like I've accomplished very, very little. My farm is overrun by rocks I can't break, I get too tired too quickly to do much and the green ruins feels like a maze that I run around in for an hour and get nowhere in.

What I find really funny is that way down in the dungeon where it would take you like 5 game hours to reach there are plots of land as if anyone is going to go down that far every day through the monsters just to plant some crops. I know they are probably just there because that's the only place stuff can grow, but I just find it funny.

Oh yeah, and don't get me started on the Runey situation which can all go to hell at any time. I feel like my runeys are a time bomb ready to go off and one day I'm going to check the map only to find mass destruction and death with no backup runeys to replace with. I keep reading the horror stories and it's scary. Hopefully someone can figure out some trick or something so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

Still this game is awesome, and the fact that I've played so long and haven't gotten very far is a testament to how deep this game really is. I love it and I hope it doesn't consume my life even though It already feels like it is.

Soulfire

Scrubking said:
Yeah right. I've been playing for almost 20 hours now and I feel like I've accomplished very, very little. My farm is overrun by rocks I can't break, I get too tired too quickly to do much and the green ruins feels like a maze that I run around in for an hour and get nowhere in.

What I find really funny is that way down in the dungeon where it would take you like 5 game hours to reach there are plots of land as if anyone is going to go down that far every day through the monsters just to plant some crops.
I know they are probably just there because that's the only place stuff can grow, but I just find it funny.

Oh yeah, and don't get me started on the Runey situation which can all go to hell at any time. I feel like my runeys are a time bomb ready to go off and one day I'm going to check the map only to find mass destruction and death with no backup runeys to replace with. I keep reading the horror stories and it's scary. Hopefully someone can figure out some trick or something so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

Still this game is awesome, and the fact that I've played so long and haven't gotten very far is a testament to how deep this game really is. I love it and I hope it doesn't consume my life even though It already feels like it is.

I think the reason there are fields so far down in the Green Ruins is because you can use the stairs to go to all the levels so you don’t necessarily have to go through all the monsters to get to them.

bryehn said:
Could be that yeah :lol

I learned my lesson when I was listening to my GameCube grind while playing Magical Melody. Short (well short for HM/RF) 3 hour sessions followed by a 20-30 minute break.

Yeah, I of course take like an hour or two long breaks are various times during the day, while leaving the Wii on. :p

Easter Egg:

Did you know if you press A during the loading screens with the Runeys, they'll jump up in order?

I just figured that out now! :lol

metta

Scrubking said:
Yeah right. I've been playing for almost 20 hours now and I feel like I've accomplished very, very little. My farm is overrun by rocks I can't break

Tame a slime. It will eat all your rocks, including the ones you are yet too unskilled to destroy :)

zigg

Scrubking said:
What I find really funny is that way down in the dungeon where it would take you like 5 game hours to reach there are plots of land as if anyone is going to go down that far every day through the monsters just to plant some crops. I know they are probably just there because that's the only place stuff can grow, but I just find it funny.

I think the intent is just to be able to have runes on-hand where you need them.

That said, the dungeon I'm in now has quite a few plots on the top level. Unfortunately, the fastest-growing crop I can plant takes 8 days :/ I wonder if Runey bonuses apply; I have a 1 day bonus going right now for a single area in prosperity (grass grows daily!)

metta said:
Tame a slime. It will eat all your rocks, including the ones you are yet too unskilled to destroy :)

Yeah, that's what I'm doing... mine's pretty slow at it yet though :D That said, I have more tilled plots now than I can realistically farm without ignoring the rest of the game. Once I get some @#$%! silver, these tools are getting upgrades and that'll no longer be a problem...

So how do you break those rocks in the Green Ruins that block your path?

Does a Slime take care of that, or do I have to come back much later after I upgrade my Hammer?

zigg

Hero of Legend said:
So how do you break those rocks in the Green Ruins that block your path?

Does a Slime take care of that, or do I have to come back much later after I upgrade my Hammer?

You mean taking a slime with you? Interesting idea. I kind of doubt it will work but I might try it. (Just to clarify, I'm using them to take down the big rocks on my farm.)

But I think you need a hammer upgrade, yeah. I am guessing that I can get one once I get me some silver...

zigg

zigg said:
You mean taking a slime with you? Interesting idea. I kind of doubt it will work but I might try it. (Just to clarify, I'm using them to take down the big rocks on my farm.)

Doesn't work, by the way. Doesn't do anything to those rocks, and if I pull up his menu I onl get the option to "get on" which tells me I can't ride him. :lol

I did get one piece of silver from defeating a golem, but I stupidly used it for the watering can instead of the hammer. Oops.

Scrubking

Well I got a slime to join me and he sucks at clearing rocks. He's been working for two days and I don't think he's cleared anything. I also got a bufamoo which almost killed me right before I tamed it.

BTW, I just got through beach day. LOL.

zigg

Well, I got more silver, and the resulting silver hammer can hammer through the tan rocks in the Green Ruins, but... not in the dungeon afterward.

*tears hair out*

kenji

i got some monsters too, but how can i tame them and get them to work? do i need to send them to fight and kill monsters to raise their levels?

Soulfire

kenji said:
i got some monsters too, but how can i tame them and get them to work? do i need to send them to fight and kill monsters to raise their levels?

To get them to do work around the farm and go with you to fight you need to continue to brush them and once their feelings towards you grow you will be given the option to get them to do certain things around the farm or go with you. I don't know if their levels ever increase.

kenji

Soulfire said:
To get them to do work around the farm and go with you to fight you need to continue to brush them and once their feelings towards you grow you will be given the option to get them to do certain things around the farm or go with you. I don't know if their levels ever increase.
i see, will try later

zigg

Soulfire said:

I'm pretty sure they do as your friendship level increases, actually. But I haven't really been studying all the numbers. I don't really have any good fighting monsters in my barn; mostly just farm-workers.

Scrubking

Are your monsters supposed to stay in the barn while they are working? It says my slime is collecting rocks, but he never leaves the barn.

Also lol at using the harvester to suck the eggs out of chickens. I kept waiting for eggs to appear then used the harvester to my surprise.

The animals friendship for you increases as long as you keep feeding them. Brushing speeds the process.

Also, shy of the beginning of the game, it's best to not bother with farm type animals as companions when fighting; they're VERY slow. Try and get yourself a Silver Wolf from Whale Island; Wylde (My Silver Wolf) and I go out to dungeons all the time and with that and brushing he's at 3 Friendship Points (FP). You can also ride him, which DRASTICALLY increases your available time by cutting out Raguna's slower running.

Also, don't waste time getting more than one animal for yard work tasks; you can only have one monster for every job.

Be sure to brush your animals as much as you can (I do it first thing in the morning) and as their friendship increases you'll start to get products that are worth more (Wool, Honey, Milk, Eggs).

Scrubking: Your workers stay in the Barn WHILE they're working, so to speak. You can't interact with them in the field, so if you ever want to issue a command, go into the barn and talk to the corresponding worker, even if he's doing his job at the time.

Also a good thing to remember is that even when you ask them to work for you, they don't start until the day after, so don't waste time waiting for them the same day you talk to them.

Scrubking

DeaconKnowledge said:
Also a good thing to remember is that even when you ask them to work for you, they don't start until the day after, so don't waste time waiting for them the same day you talk to them.

WTF? Did not know that. Had been asking my animals to work then letting them rest at night. Again WTF?

You don't need to bother telling them to rest. There's a schedule posted at the right side of the barn; the workers do their job in roughly three hours then go back to the barn right when the next job starts.

Also, you have to be patient with the animals at first. My Elefun only managers to water 3 9-plot squares worth of land in its alotted three hours, so I have to help with the watering. Stay diligent in brushing them and feeding them and as their FP goes up, they get better at their work. But at first, don't expect your Animals to complete all the tasks immediately. You will be doing most of the work for a while until they get up to speed.

Also, a little bit of advice. Try to beat at least the Green Ruins before Winter hits. You want to be high enough in level to start farming in a dungeon, because there is NO crop growth in Winter and you can only harvest your animals for product every three days. Also, fishing isn't that profitable, mainly since you tend to burn Rune Points fast doing it.

Right now I have rotating Cucumber and Strawberry crops on the first level of the dungeon, and i'm growing fodder to add to my reserves (be sure you have enough fodder for winter BTW, Take your animal count and multiply by 30, that's how much you'll need) and have Toy Herb growing in the dungeon right in front of the boss.
When you kill him the first time, (yes, bosses respawn) it opens a teleport straight to the front of the dungeon, which makes getting to the bottom easy.

edit 2: Also, yeah I know that farming flowers isn't manly and hardcore and all the garbage the kids say, but you'll need certain flowers to forge the higher level weapons and armor you unlock (by buying the corresponding books, of course). Toy Herb is a lynchpin as far as this is concerned.

Soulfire

DeaconKnowledge said:
You don't need to bother telling them to rest. There's a schedule posted at the right side of the barn; the workers do their job in roughly three hours then go back to the barn right when the next job starts.

Also, you have to be patient with the animals at first. My Elefun only managers to water 3 9-plot squares worth of land in its alotted three hours, so I have to help with the watering. Stay diligent in brushing them and feeding them and as their FP goes up, they get better at their work. But at first, don't expect your Animals to complete all the tasks immediately. You will be doing most of the work for a while until they get up to speed.

Also, a little bit of advice. Try to beat at least the Green Ruins before Winter hits. You want to be high enough in level to start farming in a dungeon, because there is NO crop growth in Winter and you can only harvest your animals for product every three days. Also, fishing isn't that profitable, mainly since you tend to burn Rune Points fast doing it.

Right now I have rotating Cucumber and Strawberry crops on the first level of the dungeon, and i'm growing fodder to add to my reserves (be sure you have enough fodder for winter BTW, Take your animal count and multiply by 30, that's how much you'll need) and have Toy Herb growing in the dungeon right in front of the boss.
When you kill him the first time, (yes, bosses respawn) it opens a teleport straight to the front of the dungeon, which makes getting to the bottom easy.

edit 2: Also, yeah I know that farming flowers isn't manly and hardcore and all the garbage the kids say, but you'll need certain flowers to forge the higher level weapons and armor you unlock (by buying the corresponding books, of course). Toy Herb is a lynchpin as far as this is concerned.

All this new information and I'm at work and can't play.

I just called Nintendo's Customer Service about that freeze that happened.

They assured me that it's the game as long as it hasn't happened with any other game (it hasn't), and that leaving the Wii on for a long time is harmless.

But strangely, the representative told me that apparently, leaving non-compatible accessories like the GC Controler and such could be a possible cause, is that true?! o_O

First time I've heard of that. I'd assume that those are pretty much ignoried, untouched if they're not needed regardless if they're connected or not.

Is this actually true? o_O

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
oh my god I need to get this game

and then I need to move into my friend's house because she's the one with the wii

I wanted a wii too but noooo we had to get a 360

Ela Hadrun said:
oh my god I need to get this game

and then I need to move into my friend's house because she's the one with the wii

I wanted a wii too but noooo we had to get a 360

Who forced you to get a 360 instead? Unless the family decided that, but it's really odd you know with the Wii being for the family and all, plus it's cheaper. :p

Sorry you had to be stuck with a console you didn't prefer having.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you get the harvester and starter fishing pole? I'm about 20 days into spring, and am pretty sure I talked to everyone around...

Is there something special I need to do, or do they just come along eventually?

Soulfire

FlyinJ said:
How do you get the harvester and starter fishing pole? I'm about 20 days into spring, and am pretty sure I talked to everyone around...

Is there something special I need to do, or do they just come along eventually?

You get the fishing pole from Cinnamon and the Harvester from her little sister Candy. Not sure if I should use spoilers but better to be safe and not piss someone off.
They are the grand-daughters of Kanro. You’ll just need to continue to talk to him and he’ll mention that he hates cooking for himself so he’s getting them to come out and take care of him. Just talk to Candy and she’ll give you info on Runeys and then she’ll give you the Harvester itself. Cinnamon likes to fish at your house by the bridge on the right side talk to her while she’s there and she’ll give you the pole.

Scrubking

Also, fishing isn't that profitable, mainly since you tend to burn Rune Points fast doing it.

I have to disagree. The fishing pole is the tool that uses the least RP for me and I can earn 1k in less than a minute. Plus the fish can also be used to cook great recovery items.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After a decade of ignoring Harvest Moon recommendations, I am choosing this title as my first exposure to the franchise.

Going in practically blind, but I'm excited!

I finally got it!!!!!!!

I've only played about 7-8 days in last night (it was about 3am and I decided getting some sleep for work was a good idea) but so far I'm very impressed. You guys can trust my impressions by the way since I am probably like the most unbiased person to talk about this game ;)

I love the characters so far, the old favorites are back as well as a lot of new faces. I’m glad they used the style for this game that they did because it’s awesome playing a HM/RF type game and seeing characters closer to normal proportions (aka not chibi). The short anime cut scenes are a nice touch and I wish they were longer. I also enjoy how they added a bit more voiced dialog because it gives the characters a lot more personality. All the girls seem to have that typical high pitched anime voice but I kinda like it that way (I’m a big fan of old-school dubbed animes). The emo goth guy who lives next door makes me laugh.

The music is great so far. The intro theme has grown on me, and while I don’t think it’s as good as RF1 or 2’s themes, it still stands on its own. I love the goth kids music as well as the panic/danger music when certain not-so-serious events happen
like Raguna catching Mists cold

The storyline is already better and more involved than the first Rune Factory which was one of my original complaints. Whale Island looks like a great addition (
I already want to find out how to save it!
) and I did a bit of dungeon crawling on it. I’m not sure if it’s because it now controls with an analog stick or what, but combat feels a lot more fluid and easier than the first RF. The dungeon crawling feels like it could be a game in itself.

I only have a few complaints. I’m getting lost a lot, or rather not so much lost but I get confused what exits connect to where. I’m sure as time goes on I will learn my way since I remember feeling lost in the first RF. The game isn’t very straight forward like the first one, so a lot of the games features and settings I am left to stumble upon myself (It took me a while to even realize there were multiple status pages by hitting +,-). I only knew to get the Axe from the Nun because of IGN’s video review and I still have no idea where to get the Scythe to cut Mists grass for her. I also am hoping somebody in the game explains Runeys to me outside of Mists 2 sentence explanation.

There are very few games I rush out to buy full price for on release, and I can already tell this was worth it. For $50 it looks like there is more than enough content to justify the price. I’ll be playing this game for a looong time.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I finally got it!!!!!!!

I've only played about 7-8 days in last night (it was about 3am and I decided getting some sleep for work was a good idea) but so far I'm very impressed. You guys can trust my impressions by the way since I am probably like the most unbiased person to talk about this game ;)

I love the characters so far, the old favorites are back as well as a lot of new faces. I’m glad they used the style for this game that they did because it’s awesome playing a HM/RF type game and seeing characters closer to normal proportions (aka not chibi). The short anime cut scenes are a nice touch and I wish they were longer. I also enjoy how they added a bit more voiced dialog because it gives the characters a lot more personality. All the girls seem to have that typical high pitched anime voice but I kinda like it that way (I’m a big fan of old-school dubbed animes). The emo goth guy who lives next door makes me laugh.

The music is great so far. The intro theme has grown on me, and while I don’t think it’s as good as RF1 or 2’s themes, it still stands on its own. I love the goth kids music as well as the panic/danger music when certain not-so-serious events happen
like Raguna catching Mists cold

The storyline is already better and more involved than the first Rune Factory which was one of my original complaints. Whale Island looks like a great addition (
I already want to find out how to save it!
) and I did a bit of dungeon crawling on it. I’m not sure if it’s because it now controls with an analog stick or what, but combat feels a lot more fluid and easier than the first RF. The dungeon crawling feels like it could be a game in itself.

I only have a few complaints. I’m getting lost a lot, or rather not so much lost but I get confused what exits connect to where. I’m sure as time goes on I will learn my way since I remember feeling lost in the first RF. The game isn’t very straight forward like the first one, so a lot of the games features and settings I am left to stumble upon myself (It took me a while to even realize there were multiple status pages by hitting +,-). I only knew to get the Axe from the Nun because of IGN’s video review and I still have no idea where to get the Scythe to cut Mists grass for her. I also am hoping somebody in the game explains Runeys to me outside of Mists 2 sentence explanation.

There are very few games I rush out to buy full price for on release, and I can already tell this was worth it. For $50 it looks like there is more than enough content to justify the price. I’ll be playing this game for a looong time.

Eric gives you the Scythe when he's at the male side of the bathouse!

zigg

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

That's my complaint too. There is some good info in the (thick!) manual, but a lot of things you'll only find out by trial and error or GameFAQs. In particular the Runeys... nobody's gonna tell you much more about them. (That said, there does seem to be a really good system for it. I'm just starting into it myself.)

kiryogi

Banned
There's eventually more info about runeys in the library. And most of the other tools will be given to you by other villagers as you befriend them. Eric doesn't have to be at the bathhouse. It's whenever you reach the friendship point.

zigg

kiryogi said:
There's eventually more info about runeys in the library.

Yeah, but it's not really enough to do more than make you tear your hair out trying to get them to keep balanced. Doesn't explain prosperity at all, either, I believe.

kenji

i too have to agree with that complain
still haven't interested on runeys.. does this quest begin with an event? lol
now i'm learning how to tame the monsters.. and i still have to understand how to feed them :lol

zigg

As I understand it, you can pretty much ignore them if you wish—they don't die out easily, and if they start to in one area you can transplant some to give them a new and lengthy lease on life.

But the benefit of getting prosperity up is reduced crop growth times, and I'm pretty excited about actually understanding the system now. It's a good system for the obsessive analyzer.

I assume you can get a Forge in your house a lot sooner in this game since the blacksmith girl dosen't do any tool upgrades and my yard is full of a ton of stumps/rocks.

I love the way mining works now. Just swing once, wipe out a plethora of rocks, and just rake in the pieces. I hope its not as game-breaking as it was in the first RF.

I heard that you have to get an elephant on your farm by the end of Fall or Bianca and Tabatha leave your town. Is that like permenently? I generally don't get started on livestock untill I'm well established with other things, but then agian I always start off feeling like I don't have enough time and then before I know it I'm married before year end and am looking for things to do.

Top Bottom