• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Unleashed Thread Of Either "Endless Possibility" Or Sonic-Cycling It!

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Totobeni said:
they should do this with all their games for maximum sales ..go Capcom/Ubi style ..no more SEGA exclusives for anyone anymore this gen

Are you kidding? The PS3 version has a mess of a framerate & the Ps3/wii games are just a plain mess.
If anything, this proves they should just focus on one platform to get it right.

HUELEN10

14wualt.jpg

There are no words.

HUELEN10

Just finished playing all the Apotos levels and HOLY CRAP!

For the day levels, only 2-2 feels old. 1-1 and Act 4 are entirely new, and they are simply some of the best levels Unleashed has to offer. You owe it to yourself to at least pick up this DLC Pak.

I will update the OP as soon as I finish the Shamar levels.

NTom64

That Apotos stage looked nothing short of incredible.

As much as I enjoyed the regular day stages, it would be amazing if Sonic Team were to focus on and fine tune this style of gameplay for the next main 3D title. A compromise, if you will: the boost is still important, but it isn't the main focus of progressing through the level.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HUELEN10 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg7qyvSK8nA&fmt=18

Seriously, this level is just that kick-ass!

2jbutjc.jpg

this is why i still believe in Sonic team , they didn't lost it yet .

the forced platforming parts look awesomely good , I mean very very good , I said this before on some of the day sections of Sonic Unleashed , these part are great ( there are few in Sonic Unleashed original day levels but they were very fun ) .

the engine is there , the old good 2D feeling is there too , Sonic Team just need to slow down Sonic a bit , put more and more of this forced " platforming " sections in the day levels , drop the "speed /on rail-like " sections and give the player more control over Sonic , drop whore-hog ..and gain back your hardcore fans .

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wait, so the DLC packs for Sonic Unleashed are new levels? I thought they were just harder versions of the same levels as before?

HUELEN10

RurouniZel said:
Wait, so the DLC packs for Sonic Unleashed are new levels? I thought they were just harder versions of the same levels as before?
You get hard modes, and all-new content in the same DLC Pak!

HUELEN10

evilromero said:
Having recently played Sonic 1 again and now watching this video it is clear to me they are not trying to recreate the classic experience in the least.
WELL DUH
Not speaking about you directly evilromero, keep this in mind.

I don't get it guys, why do so fucking many of you think that this game is attempting and failing to go back to its roots? It is not, the devs have said so themselves, and they have no interest in going back. Unleashed is what they call "Ultimate" Sonic and thus it is something different. If you like it, that's fine, but if you don't, you then you better damn well NOT complain about it not being like the originals as it was never intended to do that in the first place. Goddman!

As for me, I fucking love this game, but this makes sense as I love speed-based Sonics like Rush.

This fucking pisses me off. It is a mindset like this that makes it seem that this game is a pile of shit, when it so isn't (360 version anyways). Fuck the haters, it is the best Console Sonic this century, bar none.

The level seems cool enough but too many things hurt my interest in the game. Namely the horribly long and UNSKIPPABLE intro cut-scene. Man. I thought we've moved past that played out shit.

Blueblur1

Personally, I think they're experimenting a lot with the DLC. Hopefully they gather some good feedback from these level packs and the next main Sonic game has some impressive level design from the get-go as a result.

evilromero said:
The level seems cool enough but too many things hurt my interest in the game. Namely the horribly long and UNSKIPPABLE intro cut-scene. Man. I thought we've moved past that played out shit.

If only.

Gagaman

gutter_trash said:
wha what?!!1 that looks so awesome

any chance they will bundle up all their packs later?
This is what I'm holding out for, espcially if it makes it DLC pack cost less each to buy the lot. Not really interested in paying £3 for a few stages I'll probably play a couple times at the most, but at half that I could be interested.

NTom64

evilromero said:

All cutscenes (except the last one which fades into the credits) can be skipped by pressing start a few times.

Just started a new game to test it on the intro, and it skipped past it fine.

NTom64 said:
All cutscenes (except the last one which fades into the credits) can be skipped by pressing start a few times.

Just started a new game to test it on the intro, and it skipped past it fine.

Yeah, Sonic Unleashed is one of those games that doesn't want you to skip cutscenes (pressing start just once won't do anything), but still allows you to if you press it repeatedly.

NTom64

Sega1991 said:
Yeah, Sonic Unleashed is one of those games that doesn't want you to skip cutscenes (pressing start just once won't do anything), but still allows you to if you press it repeatedly.

Indeed, though a Kingdom Hearts 2 approach would probably be best in future.

The ability to both pause and/or skip cutscenes should be mandatory in story-based games IMO.

I still not brought a pack after the first sour taste sega gave out, at least some of you find entertainment in stupid level designs (which seem to be improved a little bit now at least)

goodcow

Given all the variety among the DLC packs, I can only assume Sonic Team has no real idea where to take this franchise and is using this opportunity to test out different gameplay methods and level designs while also having some income stream to satisfy Sammy in the meantime so they aren't forced to crank out another game in a year or so.

So, I mean, I'm just sayin' here but if watching videos of the DLC on Youtube isn't enough information for you, my boss has be write reviews for every DLC pack to come out and I just finished up my (rather hefty) review for the most recent pack.

If, you know, you wanna read it and what I thought of it.

Dubble

Oh man...why couldnt the whole game have been like that video. That is nothing short of an OUTSTANDING stage and what 3D Sonic should be like instead of retarded werehogs and a million different pieces of nonsense. Good stuff.

RobbieNick

HUELEN10 said:
WELL DUH
Not speaking about you directly evilromero, keep this in mind.

I don't get it guys, why do so fucking many of you think that this game is attempting and failing to go back to its roots? It is not, the devs have said so themselves, and they have no interest in going back. Unleashed is what they call "Ultimate" Sonic and thus it is something different. If you like it, that's fine, but if you don't, you then you better damn well NOT complain about it not being like the originals as it was never intended to do that in the first place. Goddman!

As for me, I fucking love this game, but this makes sense as I love speed-based Sonics like Rush.

This fucking pisses me off. It is a mindset like this that makes it seem that this game is a pile of shit, when it so isn't (360 version anyways). Fuck the haters, it is the best Console Sonic this century, bar none.

Marry me.:lol

Also, I agree that Apotos act 1-2 is the best damn level in the game. The Shamar level where you collect ten Chaos is not bad either. (Very experimental too. All 3-D, all platforming, not much speed.) The Apotos/Shamar DLC pack really is a great deal. Ten new levels (some just harder versions) two continents, three bucks!

Alright so I'm playing the 360 version of this game and I need to get 120 Sun medals. So far I really hate the Night levels, they piss me off. The day levels are pretty awesome though. Why do they make you collect these medals? :(

RyType

Well, I picked this up today on the 360. I'm a massive fan of Sonic but I've decided to enforce a rule upon myself to never pay full price for a Sonic game again after Sonic 2006.ugh.

So far I'm up to Mazuri and the game is okay, like 7/10 okay. I'm really not having fun with any of the werehog levels but I seem to have mysteriously gained two S-ranks for the ones I've done so far.
The Sonic levels are rather good- I'm still disappointed that it plays nothing like the original megadrive games and it doesn't feel as good as the first Sonic Adventure, my favourite of the 3D Sonics. The platforming feels terrifying since Sonic now moves like lightening- but there is something thrilling about seeing how fast you can make Sonic go.

I'm actually not so keen on the whole look of the game either to be honest, its a step up from the boring looking Sonic 2006 (but then again, anything is.) but it doesn't seem to be working for me. It looks pretty in a blue dragon-ish sort of a way and I'm glad that Sonic looks cartoony again but Naoto Ōshima is sorely missed.

Chip sucks.

I just finished the game. Thought the last level was decent. I didn't really like the night time levels but the day time levels were alright. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

Sega1991 said:
Oh wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldv2dbWiv8

A daytime stage where you don't run around super fast. This is kind of cool! If only the controls were better suited to going slow like this...
(late but whatever this was just bumped)

I think what Sonic Team could do in the next Sonic game is have exploration/platforming based levels (like this one) and speed based levels (with light platforming/puzzles), and have separate control schemes for each one.

You know how in the hub worlds (not the entrance stages, the hubs themselves), Sonic's speed is capped much lower than it normally is, and you can't boost? That control scheme would apply to the exploration levels.

Or hey, how about having these levels serve as the hub worlds. Scattered around would be portals to the actual levels (2-3 "main" acts per stage), bosses, bonus rounds, etc. and some of the locals would have missions for you. You'd need to complete a certain number of missions in order to progress (but not all of them, there's some pick and choose here), and there'd be bridge levels between the hubs. Sort of like how the original Jak and Daxter was set up.

Just traversing the various hubs could be an adventure in and of itself and take a good couple of hours to complete.

Aaron Strife said:
(late but whatever this was just bumped)

I think what Sonic Team could do in the next Sonic game is have exploration/platforming based levels (like this one) and speed based levels (with light platforming/puzzles), and have separate control schemes for each one.

You know how in the hub worlds (not the entrance stages, the hubs themselves), Sonic's speed is capped much lower than it normally is, and you can't boost? That control scheme would apply to the exploration levels.

Or hey, how about having these levels serve as the hub worlds. Scattered around would be portals to the actual levels (2-3 "main" acts per stage), bosses, bonus rounds, etc. and some of the locals would have missions for you. You'd need to complete a certain number of missions in order to progress (but not all of them, there's some pick and choose here), and there'd be bridge levels between the hubs. Sort of like how the original Jak and Daxter was set up.

Just traversing the various hubs could be an adventure in and of itself and take a good couple of hours to complete.

Sonic Team kind of did that with Sonic 2006, though. Each level was divided up in to "portions" separated by a loading screen and you'd have the normal sort of Sonic-Adventure-y parts that were quick but focused more on platforming and fighting enemies, and then it would switch to these horrifying "mach speed zone" sections where Sonic accelerates on his own and you have to steer him through oncoming obstacles.

Sonic Unleashed also kind of does that, in way. Sonic Unleashed actually has at least 2-4 control "modes" for daytime Sonic that it very quietly and very discreetly tries to switch between. Each one has slightly different handling and steering sensitivity. The only way you can tell the difference is if you try to slow down and/or stop moving during a high speed sequence. As far as I can tell, they are:

• Total control of Sonic - can move in any direction, can stop at any time.
  • Half control of Sonic - Emphasizes the player go in a specific direction. While moving quickly, player can only strafe side-to-side. If the player stops moving, he gets total control of Sonic until he accelerates up to a quick speed. Usually used for long straightaways (barrel sequence in Rooftop Run).
  • Limited control of Sonic - Player cannot stop or slow down. Can only strafe left and right. Used in "chase" sequences and bosses.
  • Very Little Control over Sonic - Player moves in a pre-determined direction with no side-to-side movement. Can only go forwards or backwards. Used for scripted sequences and the 2D Camera Angle.
  • No Control over Sonic - Player cannot do anything to Sonic but watch.

It would be fine if, in "total control of Sonic" mode, Sonic didn't move with quite so much momentum. I get that Sonic is momentum based, but he just feels too heavy.

Also, with the way Sonic Unleashed is so focused on giving the player tons of boost (to the point where, unless you are in a tight space, you should always be boosting), it would be nice if Sonic's speed was capped a little slower when he was not boosting. In the Sonic Unleashed video I captured and linked there, you'll notice I keep stopping because Sonic was starting to accelerate up a little too fast.

If I had more control when I wasn't boosting, that would be fine. Of course, that goes back to something else I said in another thread...

Sega1991 said:
Sonic Team kind of did that with Sonic 2006, though. Each level was divided up in to "portions" separated by a loading screen and you'd have the normal sort of Sonic-Adventure-y parts that were quick but focused more on platforming and fighting enemies, and then it would switch to these horrifying "mach speed zone" sections where Sonic accelerates on his own and you have to steer him through oncoming obstacles.
I'm not saying to have it be like Sonic 2006 where your two main modes are "mildly fast platforming" and "JESUS CHRIST SPEED"

I'm saying that the hub controls where Sonic's speed is capped much lower could be used for the heavy platforming-centric levels, so that there's more control and you don't have to worry about boosting off into a bottomless pit.

It'd probably require some tweaking to work in certain levels where it's kind of a mix of both (like Apotos 1-2), but as you pointed out, a lot of times in Shamar 3 you're stopping because Sonic is going too fast. That's a case where the normal, faster scheme doesn't work as well and makes it tricky to do things proper.

I don't think a complete overhaul of the physics/controls/etc. is required to make an enjoyable Sonic experience. It'd be required to have a successful conversion of the 2D game design into 3D, but I don't know if that's really what Sonic fans should be asking for with how shitty the games have been lately. It'd be like asking for an F student to get an A on his next test, even though he could much more easily get a C.

The thing is, Sonic Team has pretty much overhauled the controls in every 3D Sonic game. No one 3D Sonic game ever controls like the others do. There are similarities between some of them, but still.

Sonic Unleashed is the closest I think Sonic's come to getting 3D "right", but it still needs a lot of work. I have to wonder who at Sonic Team is responsible for Sonic's analog sensitivity, because he never can seem to get it right.

Zen

Banned
For those who wouldn't be looking at the fiscal reports. Sonic Unleashed has sold through 2.45 Million (all versions) as per the Sega Sammy report (Don't look at how much the company lost, it's huge :X).

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/japanese/pdf/release/200903_tanshin_20090513_final.pdf

Well I guess there's still water in the stone that is Sonic. Hopefully the next game is actually above average for your everyday consumer and the franchise breaks 3 million with the next mainline entry.

RobbieNick

Zen said:
For those who wouldn't be looking at the fiscal reports. Sonic Unleashed has sold through 2.45 Million (all versions) as per the Sega Sammy report (Don't look at how much the company lost, it's huge :X).

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/japanese/pdf/release/200903_tanshin_20090513_final.pdf

Well I guess there's still water in the stone that is Sonic. Hopefully the next game is actually above average for your everyday consumer and the franchise breaks 3 million with the next mainline entry.

And this is why all those "Sonic needs to die" arguments are stupid. Sonic's still their main cash cow. Without him bringing in the bucks, Sega wouldn't be able to take risks like MadWorld or the Condmened.

That said, this is also why they need to treat that key franchise better. Sonic Unleashed was an above average game (IMO), but games like Shadow and Sonic '06 were abominations while Sonic and the Black Knight was just mediocre. If Sonic keeps getting a bad reputation like this, then all the little kiddies and furries and Brits (he's huge over there) won't be able keep the franchise afloat from bad sales. After all, Sega All-Stars Tennis pretty much starred Sonic and half his cast and it bombed horribly. (So why are they doing All-Star Racing now?)

If Sega's smart they'll not do release major Sonic game until 2011. The year of his 20th Anniversary. They'd better concentrate hard and make it count.

Man, 8 months and this thread is still going.

RobbieNick said:
And this is why all those "Sonic needs to die" arguments are stupid. Sonic's still their main cash cow. Without him bringing in the bucks, Sega wouldn't be able to take risks like MadWorld or the Condmened.

I don't think the "Sonic needs to die" arguments are anything to do with the franchise's sales data. :p

Too many people have been burned by bad Sonic games and don't want to risk getting burned a second time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
FerranMG said:
GAF, what's the consensus on this one?

The speed stages look insanely awesome. Are the werewolf ones really that bad?

Not really, they are a bit tedious (there are several emblems to find so that you are sure to have all the next daytime and nightime stages unlocked) and the camera sometimes can piss you off a bit (the Werehog stages are not incredibly trivial even fighting wise). If you are playing on PS3 you have two choices: either you download a save file and do the daytime missions alone or, like others and I did, you keep giving experience points to key Werehog stats right from the very first stages to make the fighting easier.

This is a good game, but more of an old school racing game (in the daytime stages) than a platformer: you will have to master the track well to take advantage of the secret/alternate routes and all (the stages can be completed fairly quickly so that trying them again is not a big issue).

FerranMG said:
GAF, what's the consensus on this one?

The speed stages look insanely awesome. Are the werewolf ones really that bad?

Daytime/Speed Stages: Fast and exhilarating for the most part. Later levels are kind of tricky your first time through and require a degree of memorization. The game does its best to help you cope with the speed by flat out telling you what buttons you need to be pushing sometimes, but those prompts eventually stop appearing (again, in later levels). There are optional bonus levels, and these are often much, much harder than the normal stages.

Nighttime/Werehog Stages: At their best, Werehog stages are boring, half-assed ripoffs of God of War mixed with a bit of Prince of Persia. Levels drag on far too long (most levels, your first time through, will take 15-20 minutes - with enough practice, that can be trimmed down to 5-7 minutes). Some of the level design is particularly nasty at points, though, and the controls and laughable camera controls can lead to unfair deaths. The game also does not explain some of the Werehog's controls very well, which can make platforming sections a frustrating endeavor (protip: hold the grab button down, do not tap it).

I'd say Sonic Unleashed is a good game that is trapped in a bunch of boring filler designed to pad the length of the game out. With padding, it comes to about 7 or 10 hours of gameplay - if all the padding was removed, that would be drastically reduced to about two hours or less. Like a lot of Sonic games, Sonic Unleashed really shines once you've gotten all the storyline junk out of the way and can just replay your favorite bits (the daytime stages) over and over. If you're the kind of person who can't put up with that, it's best to stay away (or get the PS3 version, since you can just grab somebody's 100% cleared save).

If that's not enough information, I did this video review three months ago.

Top Bottom