• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Unleashed Thread Of Either "Endless Possibility" Or Sonic-Cycling It!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like how there are still no reviews in the OP. :lol If this was getting 9's I'd bet it'd be fleshed out. :lol

reply.gif

HUELEN10

Teknoman said:
Isnt Huelen still banned?
Nope! In other news, I just finished moving out from my dorm. After I get re-settled at home, I am planning on doing a major overhaul in the coming days in lieu of DLC and whatnot. Also, you are right, we do need reviews there on the front! Stuff like that, specific DLC info, prices, and GAF related Unleashed stuff are coming soon!

OP HAS BEEN CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE! SEE YOU REAL SOON!

HUELEN10

autobzooty said:
I read the OP and thought it meant that the GAME was getting a complete overhaul... :(
It got a patch that fixed the no art book 40 thing, but it was actually part of the Chu-nan DLC.

HUELEN10 said:
It got a patch that fixed the no art book 40 thing, but it was actually part of the Chu-nan DLC.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of fixing the framerate and missed button inputs. I know that it was patched to fix the framerate, but it didn't do a damn thing on my machine. But that would just be too good to be true.

HUELEN10

autobzooty said:
I was hoping for something more along the lines of fixing the framerate and missed button inputs. I know that it was patched to fix the framerate, but it didn't do a damn thing on my machine. But that would just be too good to be true.
PS3 or 360? For frame-rate problems, what do you mean? I mean, besides Eggmanland and Adbat of course.

RobbieNick

Man, for a game many people hate, there's no killing this thread! :lol

Did not care for the Holoska pack. The Spagonia one is awesome though.

Toy's R Us now has a SATBK Sonic action figure. It's actually the best sculpt of a Sonic fig I've seen yet.

HUELEN10

RobbieNick said:
Man, for a game many people hate, there's no killing this thread! :lol

Did not care for the Holoska pack. The Spagonia one is awesome though.

What is bad about the Holoska Pak? I haven't gotten it yet, but was considering. What I am waiting for is an Apotos Pak, I NEED that shit!

Tailzo

I lost all my saves when I sent in my ps3 for repairs. I don't know if I'll ever muster up courage to beat eggmanland again :(

Tailzo

Last time I checked, there was no PAL save. But I'd be very grateful if someone knew of one.

edit:
WOW, it seems there is one up now!

HUELEN10 said:
PS3 or 360? For frame-rate problems, what do you mean? I mean, besides Eggmanland and Adbat of course.

That's pretty much what I was talking about. There's several specific instances in the game where the frame rate will just tank, and it'd be nice if those were fixed. I mainly want the controls to be tightened up though. For instance, double-tapping RB will shift me over two lanes. Right now, I have to tap it once, wait for the shifting animation to end, and then tap it again for it to work, which makes maneuvering at high speeds frustrating sometimes.

Also I'd like some brand new day-time levels, but I doubt SEGA is so ambitious.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hmm, well the 360 version has a better framerate, especially when loaded to the HDD> But I can get a save for the PS3 version and skip the shit....

What to do.. what to do.

Any suggestions?

Both are about $30

Edit; Decided on PS3 version, that save file...

HUELEN10

So guys, I just bought the Holoska pack and HOLY SHIT! I am in love with Act 4, but I cannot for the life of me beat act 3. The glow of the level though reminds me a lot of Sonic Advance 's Twinkle Snow. Anyone else get that vibe?

Oh, and the new OP should be up in an hour or 2. Just putting the finishing touches.....

HUELEN10

OP updated. I also played a little bit more DLC, but Holoska act 3 is raping me hard. I updated the outdated info, but up some of the major reviews for now, and will put up a DLC section shortly.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the DLC? How the heck are you supposed to beat the New Spagonia Nighttime act?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Jesus, they seem to be raping people with multiple DLC? How much is it for every DLC pack combined, why not just one pack with everything on it?
I might re-buy the game if the DLC price is fair.

HUELEN10

FTWer said:
Jesus, they seem to be raping people with multiple DLC? How much is it for every DLC pack combined, why not just one pack with everything on it?
I might re-buy the game if the DLC price is fair.
All dlc is just a little over 3 USD a piece. Sounds pretty decent to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
keyinfo.png

As someone who takes Greek this took me a couple minutes to get, and even then I had to look at the file name. :lol

Transliterated: "KSPS PHPGO & GSLTN(R?)SS"

Blueblur1

I really enjoyed the Spagonia DLC but I think I won't be downloading anymore of the DLC. I never really play the game anymore. It got stale after I beat it months ago.

Kujo

How much different are the DLC stages from the original ones? Are they just kinda remixed versions or has a lot been changed?

I don't have the game yet, but I know there are 4 DLC packs out. If they end up doing one for every world, how many will there end up being in total?

HUELEN10

Mojo said:
How much different are the DLC stages from the original ones? Are they just kinda remixed versions or has a lot been changed?

I don't have the game yet, but I know there are 4 DLC packs out. If they end up doing one for every world, how many will there end up being in total?
Total shouldn't be much more than 20 USD. As for the packs, it is like half of it is a hard mode, but the other half is ALL NEW.

Zen

Banned
I'm enjpying a lot of the DLC, money well spent for me. Buut I realize that I'm only going to buy DLC for areas I enjoyed the regular levels from. The China esque levels for instance, yuck, but I've very much enjoyed the DLC packs for Apotos (no no, the one were you meet the professor?) and Holaska was 'decent' (much like my impression of Holaska in general).

The fun part about the 'hard mode' levels (only one is as such imo out of each DLC pack) is that they really do use the 'react or die' mechanic to its full potential. Where as regular levels just started putting points like that in out of nowhere and messed up the mindset and flow of those levels.

All Sonic Unleashed 2 (Or whatever) needs is a much more streamlined hub (if any at all) more 2D with intricate designs, and much less of the 'react or die' areas. I also might suggest just getting rid of the air boost. The Boost in general can really make the game spin out of control when you're playing it.

Kujo

HUELEN10 said:
Total shouldn't be much more than 20 USD. As for the packs, it is like half of it is a hard mode, but the other half is ALL NEW.
So how many DLC packs would that be? Like 8 or so?

How many day levels are in the retail game all up?

Zen

Banned
4 Day levels 2 night levels (I haven't tried the night levels) per DLC pack and there is 1 DLC Pack per hub area

Kujo

Yeah I guess that's my question, how many hub areas are in the retail game? And how many day/night levels would each have?

Mojo said:
Yeah I guess that's my question, how many hub areas are in the retail game? And how many day/night levels would each have?

Apotos, Spagonia, Holoska, Chun-nan, Mazuri, Shamar, Empire City, Adabat, and Eggman Land.

So 9 Zones, with around 5 or 6 daytime acts and 4 or 3 night time acts each, depending on the zone.

Zen said:
All Sonic Unleashed 2 (Or whatever) needs is a much more streamlined hub (if any at all) more 2D with intricate designs, and much less of the 'react or die' areas. I also might suggest just getting rid of the air boost. The Boost in general can really make the game spin out of control when you're playing it.
I'd rather they take out the dash pads and keep the boost.

ShadiWulf

As much as you hate Unleashed, you can't deny the good graphics of the 360 / PS3 versions, and a new gamewatch article came out today talking about the Hedgehog Engine! It's all japanese... and its HUGE... so it's really hard to understand.

Although, this picture just showing off the Global Illumination is impressive

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/110/682/son84.jpg

More than 125 Screenies Show Off GI, HDR, IK Innards

For all the flak the actual product received in the Western press, the graphics and visuals behind Sonic Unleashed continue to get a lot of attention behind the scenes.

Take some time to look around the action stages when not at top speed or in top fighting form, and you’ll likely agree that the next-generation Unleashed for XBOX360 and PS3 is one of the prettiest Sonic games ever made in 3D. It took years to develop the foundation for the graphics, dubbed the Hedgehog Engine, and how that happened was the subject of a recent article by Japanese site Game Watch.

The article goes into almost painstaking detail as to how the Hedgehog Engine came together, from the use of the HAVOK physics engine, to how the 3D artists had a vision for the game similar to the style of Team Fortress 2 and Pixar animation. The story also confirms that the engine had been in development since 2005, well before the release of the ill-received next generation Sonic the Hedgehog. Models of Sonic hit anywhere from 18,000 polygons in game to 26,000 in cutscenes.

There is some other information disclosed in the article that will be a bummer to the most hardcore of fans. For one, the framerate of Unleashed and perhaps the Hedgehog Engine itself appears to be made for a stable 30fps rate, with occasional hiccups in high intensity environments. Also, that huge DLC you’re downloading for the game isn’t quite of the caliber from the core game–eye candy like Global Illumination is of a lesser quality within the Adventure Packs.

All in all, if you can understand it, the article will stimulate the minds of many in Sonic fandom, from graphics gurus who want to know how Sega and the Sonic Team did all those tricks, to factions of the Sonic research community who are already talking about the specifics of the story, and even casual fans who supported Unleashed.

As part of the article, dozens upon dozens of development screenshots were released. Many of them show Sonic in day and night undergoing the shading process and show him and the world he zooms through before all the polish was applied. You’ll see all the polygons that went into each action stage, and you’ll see the Werehog without all his fur.

Also part of the pack is some diagrams detailing how the development teams used the Hedgehog Engine to reflect light and use a light field around Sonic. There are also examples of High Dynamic Range image rendering, and the use of Inverse Kinematics. You can see that an dmuch more in the screenshots below–all 128 of them.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/05/11/another-look-inside-the-hedgehog-engine/

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20090410_110682.html

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/110/682/son112.jpg
angry werehog is angry

Zen

Banned
The looks like total LTD across all platforms.

M a y 1 5 , 2 0 0 9

"Sega revealed its software sales in FY2009.

- Sega revealed its software sales in FY2009.

Mario & Sonic at the Olynmpic Games (US/Euro) - 4.21 millions
Iron Man (US/Euro) - 2.68 millions
Sonic Unleashed (Japan/US/Euro) - 2.45 millions
The Incredible Hulk (US/Euro) - 1.48 million
Empire: Total War (US/Euro) - 810,000
Phantasy Star Portable (Japan) - 640,000
RyuGa Gotoku 3 (Japan) - 500,000"

I've picked up all the DLC. :eek:

Keep in mind that FY doesn't = all of 2009 so far. I can't remember what the actual timeframe is...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zen said:
Sonic Unleashed Sales for FY2009.

Sonic Unleashed (Japan/US/Euro) - 2.45 million

Not bad? Not terribly good I think but certainly not a disaster?

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

well I bought 4 copies ( PS3,Xbox360,PS2,Wii ) I did my part

Mario & Sonic at the Olynmpic Games (US/Euro) - 4.21 millions
Iron Man (US/Euro) - 2.68 millions
Sonic Unleashed (Japan/US/Euro) - 2.45 millions
The Incredible Hulk (US/Euro) - 1.48 million
Empire: Total War (US/Euro) - 810,000
Phantasy Star Portable (Japan) - 640,000
RyuGa Gotoku 3 (Japan) - 500,000"

nice on all fronts ..
GO SEGA GO

n_n

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HUELEN10 said:
?

I only got Wii and 360, what is the point of the Playstation versions?

PS3 is Werehog-free ( thanks to Gamesave ) no Shithog night levels here .

PS2 version and the rest are just like any other SEGA first party game , I bought all versions available ( aka Supporting SEGA ) .

HUELEN10

Totobeni said:
PS3 is Werehog-free ( thanks to Gamesave ) no Shithog night levels here .

PS2 version and the rest are just like any other SEGA first party game , I bought all versions available ( aka Supporting SEGA ) .
Ah, I see. Still, I hate the PS3 version. Don't like the load-times or uncapped framerate. not a bad game though, as holoska at near 60 FPS is gorgeous!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HUELEN10 said:
Ah, I see. Still, I hate the PS3 version. Don't like the load-times or uncapped framerate. not a bad game though, as holoska at near 60 FPS is gorgeous!

I played many levels on X360 version ( well just till Jungle Joy ride , but couldn't handle more werehoe crap since I start vomiting shit from my mouth at that point ) but didn't notice any different on PS3 version really , Hedgehog Engine is fuck great on both systems .

FTWer said:
Probably from all combined. 360, PS3, PS2 & wii.

they should do this with all their games for maximum sales ..go Capcom/Ubi style ..no more SEGA exclusives for anyone anymore this gen

Top Bottom