• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sonic Unleashed Thread Of Either "Endless Possibility" Or Sonic-Cycling It!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
FerranMG said:
GAF, what's the consensus on this one?

The speed stages look insanely awesome. Are the werewolf ones really that bad?
They don't only look awesome, they are awesome. Werehog is boring, but not horrible, it's totally playable and worth it to experience the other Sonic levels. If you're not one of the strange people demanding Sonic to go slow although Sonic team proved again and again, that they just suck in designing slow levels but rule at designing fast paced levels.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yoshi said:
They don't only look awesome, they are awesome. Werehog is boring, but not horrible, it's totally playable and worth it to experience the other Sonic levels. If you're not one of the strange people demanding Sonic to go slow although Sonic team proved again and again, that they just suck in designing slow levels but rule at designing fast paced levels.

Well, the level I was looking at in that Youtube video a second ago looked nice and was not built for excessive speed (a nicely designed slowish level :D).

Tailzo

I know this game gets a lot of hate... But I'd really like to see a polished sequel. This sold well enough to warrant a sequel, right?

gwiz210

Where is the main-Sonic series going to go from here?

I want Sonic Adventure 3 (as do most people :lol)

Playable Sonic (Running), Tails (Race Sonic like SA1), Knuckles (Emerald hunting)

PS: Huelen, I know of your vast love for video game OSTs from our days on Nsider, do you know of anywhere I could buy the OST for Starfox Assault new?

HUELEN10

A Sega Employee said:
I can confirm that Yoshihisa Hashimoto has left SEGA to pursue another opportunity and we’d like to wish him well in his future endeavours.
2czx3xv.jpg

This is the biggest kick in the dick Sonic has gotten this gen. Hashimoto, you will be missed...

Tailzo

Hero of Legend said:
RUMOR: Yoshihisa Hashimoto (Director of Unleashed) now at Squenix.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/07/06/yoshihisa-hashimoto-out-of-sonic-team/

Wow, if so, that's quite a blow to our fav Hedgehog.

Did he come up with the Werehog as well, or was that suggested to him?
That might be good for him? I don't know how important he was... I mean, maybe someone else is better suited to make a great Sonic game? Unleashed was good, but I know it could've been even better.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hopefully they can find someone who will have some backbone and reject Sonic Team's consistently awful, awful ideas.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
HUELEN10 said:
This is the biggest kick in the dick Sonic has gotten this gen. Hashimoto, you will be missed...

oh , come on , it's not like he is the ultimate SAVIOR of Sonic franchise or some pure shit like that , fuck Unleashed sucks .

Zen

Banned
/Shrug it's not like they'll abandon the ideas for the next Sonic game (rumored to be "Sonic, with optional playable Tails/Knuckles whos abilities allow different methods of progression + a heavier focus on 2D platforming).

Teknoman

Totobeni said:
oh , come on , it's not like he is the ultimate SAVIOR of Sonic franchise or some pure shit like that , fuck Unleashed sucks .

Well whoever steps up next...if they can take the hedgehog engine and improve on it, as well as take the good points from all Sonic day stages...the resulting game could be something everyone would be proud to own.

And yeah, I still like the game even though it could've been alot better.

Standard Sonic speed without upgrades in Unleashed would be fine. As a matter of fact, throw out all skill progression, make Tails and Knuckles playable with different abilities (and still maintain a reasonably fast speed) and just keep things to a close 2.5d playing field.

No serious storyline either.

HUELEN10

Teknoman said:
Well whoever steps up next...if they can take the hedgehog engine and improve on it, as well as take the good points from all Sonic day stages...the resulting game could be something everyone would be proud to own.

Standard Sonic speed without upgrades in Unleashed would be fine. As a matter of fact, throw out all skill progression, make Tails and Knuckles playable with different abilities (and still maintain a reasonably fast speed) and just keep things to a close 2.5d playing field.

I love this game, love love LOVE it. What specifically could they improve on the hedgehog engine? Lighting looks damn pretty as is! :D

As for storyline, I though this one was acceptable. Keep this up, don't bring back Sonic 06 BS.

As for your idea of gameplay in a future game, I WANT 3D play. Some of the best fun I had with the game was with the 3D sections.

Teknoman

HUELEN10 said:
I love this game, love love LOVE it. What specifically could they improve on the hedgehog engine? Lighting looks damn pretty as is! :D

Just framerate issues here and there. Tighten up small things like that.

HUELEN10

Teknoman said:
Just framerate issues here and there. Tighten up small things like that.
Gotcha, though I doubt that's the engine's fault specifically. Yeah, Adabat and Eggmanland should have never been made. Locked 30 FPS FTW!

Teknoman

HUELEN10 said:
Gotcha, though I doubt that's the engine's fault specifically. Yeah, Adabat and Eggmanland should have never been made. Locked 30 FPS FTW!

Yeah, its funny how people kept saying 30fps Sonic wouldnt feel fast...then they hit the first Eggman battle :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Teknoman said:

well at least they should stay away from " Epicness " crap , let Sonic save the animal , kick Dr Eggman ass every three or two levels .

use Hedgehog Engine , slow down the fucking game , make it as "fast Platforming" instead of "High-speed Action" bullshit , stay with the " day " levels style , put more forced platforms parts .

also kill Shadow and whorehog offscreen .

Teknoman

Totobeni said:
well at least they should stay away from " Epicness " crap , let Sonic save the animal , kick Dr Eggman ass every three or two levels .

use Hedgehog Engine , slow down the fucking game , make it as "fast Platforming" instead of "High-speed Action" bullshit , stay with the " day " levels style , put more forced platforms parts .

also kill Shadow and whorehog offscreen .

Sounds good to me.

Yeah, given that Sonic is still VERY far from a good game, I'd say any change in the staff can't hurt.

Sonic has no where to go but up, but it's also possible that he'll just stay put. :lol

HUELEN10

autobzooty said:
Sonic has no where to go but up, but it's also possible that he'll just stay put. :lol
Wrong. Unleashed already moved him up! He can go down again, so the next guy who takes the reigns better NOT let Sonic fall again!

Personally, I enjoyed Zero Gravity, and am really looking forward to seeing if they'll add Balance Board support and maybe even online matches, plus leaderboards again of course.

Also, All-Star Racing seems to show that they're now no longer putting Sonic on PS2, so now Riders 3 should no doubt be a Wii-exclusive worldwide (ZG and Unleashed wasn't released on PS2 in Japan). So hopefully the game can be even better since they'll be focusing on one platform alone.

And I want to see Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll, which everyone assumes to be a BB-controlled game. It'd be neat if Sega released both in a bundle like that did with Secret Rings and Banana Blitz a few months back. Would they be allowed to include the Balance Board in the bundle? Or is Nintendo not allowing that yet they allow Motion+ to be bundled with 3rd Party games?

HUELEN10

Hero of Legend said:
Personally, I enjoyed Zero Gravity, and am really looking forward to seeing if they'll add Balance Board support and maybe even online matches, plus leaderboards again of course.

Also, All-Star Racing seems to show that they're now no longer putting Sonic on PS2, so now Riders 3 should no doubt be a Wii-exclusive worldwide (ZG and Unleashed wasn't released on PS2 in Japan). So hopefully the game can be even better since they'll be focusing on one platform alone.

And I want to see Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll, which everyone assumes to be a BB-controlled game. It'd be neat if Sega released both in a bundle like that did with Secret Rings and Banana Blitz a few months back. Would they be allowed to include the Balance Board in the bundle? Or is Nintendo not allowing that yet they allow Motion+ to be bundled with 3rd Party games?
When was Rider 3 ever confirmed? Also, Riders 2 was going to be a 360/PS3 game or so it seemed. Seriously, I want Riders 3 on an HD system to be honest...

HUELEN10 said:
When was Rider 3 ever confirmed? Also, Riders 2 was going to be a 360/PS3 game or so it seemed. Seriously, I want Riders 3 on an HD system to be honest...

Nothing wrong with wanting. :p

I forgot about that Riders 2 was originally for the PS3 and 360, wonder what hapened there?!

Rlan

Sega All Stars Racing is what Sonic Riders should have been Sonic Riders with it's horrible "Speed / Flight / Power" routes makes it really incompatible for 4 player stuff.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
HUELEN10 said:
What specifically could they improve on the hedgehog engine? Lighting looks damn pretty as is! :D

I like Sonic Unleashed a lot too (Sonic's handling when he runs feels finally smooth and better than the way he did in Sonic Adventure 1, and this games feels like a natural sequel to that game... and I am glad for it :D)., but engine wise there is still quite a bit that can need improvements.

The game even in the day areas does not have an incredibly stable frame-rate (I have the PS3 version) and yet Sonic Team's artists are already cutting as many corners as they possibly can to reduce the load placed upon the engine. Several times, if you go a bit outside of the places they expect the players to be most of the time and move the camera around you can notice it easily. Do you like the pixel shaded sea in Apotos, especially the view you can get in the "Adventure stage" (in the main city plaza, near the Ice Cream stand)... ok, good :). I do too, but move closer to the cliff to your right and try to look down with the camera...
You will see how just below the portion of the sea that you could see from the plaza before that the sea's surface changes to a very low-quality one (the sea's surface is not dynamically updated based on the where the player's looking... someone decided to permanently split the surface into high-quality and low-quality portions statically [which saves some time at runtime I'd think]).

I would like to see more complex levels, with more interaction with the environments, etc... but for that to work (it is an increased load over what the engine has to sustain with the current game) the engine's capabilities have to improve.

Some effects do require some tuning, if they are going to use them again, like Fur shaders... the Hedgehog's fur does not look good IMHO (especially when seeing in some close-ups).

Also, to enable better platforming they would probably have to work a little bit more on the way Sonic controls when simply walking (without ruining the controls at high speed, which IMHO are not bad at all in Unleashed), but that requires mostly finished/close to finished levels and lots of playtesting.

Tailzo

Panajev2001a said:
Also, to enable better platforming they would probably have to work a little bit more on the way Sonic controls when simply walking (without ruining the controls at high speed, which IMHO are not bad at all in Unleashed), but that requires mostly finished/close to finished levels and lots of playtesting.

I agree. Do that, + some of the suggestions above (removing werehog, locking framerate), and you'll have a great Sonic game :D

Teknoman

Ok maybe keep some high speed aspects from Unleashed. Say what you want about the game, but Empire City- Skyscraper Scamper Act 1...

DAAAAAAAAMMMMN :D

[Nintex] said:
It was suggested and he didn't like it at first but they somehow convinced him :(

I'd like to hear how someone who was on what seems like a great track, got conviced to add in the werehog.

I'm curious as to if I'm the only one who doesn't think Knuckles should be as prominent in the series as Sonic or Tails are.

I'm not saying he's a bad character, he kicks ass, but he never fits in. The only 3D game where his presence was truly warranted was in Sonic Adventure, because of how his story was tied in neatly to the Chaos/Tikal plot thread. In SA2 his story is kept almost entirely separate until he joins Sonic's group for about ten minutes, and in Heroes and 06 he's just a second sidekick for Sonic. The story in Unleashed didn't really lose anything by not having him be in it.

I would like to see Tails be playable in the next Sonic game. I don't think that he should play too differently from Sonic. Perhaps instead of having a boost, ring energy would be used to help him fly. As long as his game wouldn't compromise Sonic's.

Adding more platforming aside, I also wish Sega would stop being so wasteful with their resources. You have levels like Mazuri where you go through fields, villages, forests, jungles, trees, etc. A number of different environments are covered in one level that only lasts two minutes, and it isn't really necessary. Length is one of their big concerns, which is why they add the slow shit in each game to pad it out. That doesn't have to be a concern. Instead of having a Sonic level and a Werehog level, they could just have two or three Sonic levels that more thoroughly explore the various components of each level. You still get a satisfyingly long experience for your 40 bucks and don't have to wade through dumb bullshit to get it.

what would people think if in the next Sonic game, they took the basic idea from unleashed, but made sonic control with a bit more physics? the best example i can think of is that he should control very similar to a car in a racing game. i also think they should take the game completely off rails because the parts of unleashed where you ARE on rails just feel weird.

instead of just using a physics engine to determine how sonic controls, it seems like SEGA just pre-programmed static physics, if that makes any sense. when you drift around a corner, it doesn't really matter how fast you're going; Sonic is gonna follow a set drifting pattern with minimal input from the player. another example would be when you bring sonic to a screeching halt. You can just feel how everything is pre-programmed and it feels very unnatural. more like "initiate screeching halt sequence" or "initiate drifting sequence" instead of just a natural flow. if these things were corrected, i think that the game would be much more fun.

Dwayne

It's already been answered for sure, but can someone give me the word on Unleashed for each of the platforms it's on? I remember reading PS2/Wii was different from PS3/360. Cheers!

goldenpp72

Dwayne said:
It's already been answered for sure, but can someone give me the word on Unleashed for each of the platforms it's on? I remember reading PS2/Wii was different from PS3/360. Cheers!

If you want the better more complete game that is riddled with more useless fluff, go 360, if you want the less complete, more butchered version which has a better consistency, then go wii. It all depends on how patient you are or if you don't mind doing stupid shit to get to fun shit.

Dwayne said:
I've played both. I prefer the 360 version post-play (because you can go back and replay the levels) but the PS2 version is easier to plow through, definitely.

Probably the most basic difference is that the gameplay mechanics are different. In the Wii version, Sonic's boost is limited to a couple bars that will increase after you've collected a certain amount of rings, and you can't continuously boost. The levels are also entirely different to accommodate for the use of motion controls to turn.

Rooftop Run
(Wii version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rOep3m46g
(360 version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNqOc-7bU4

Same with the Werehog. It's not as different, but the Werehog has less moves in the Wii version, and the level layouts are changed.

Speaking of Werehog, in the Wii version, in most continents, there are three Werehog levels and only one daytime level. I say most continents because in some, there are 4-5 Werehog levels. You will be spending the majority of your time playing as Werehog. In the HD version, it's about 60/40 in favor of Sonic's daytime levels. You're only required to play one day and one night level in each continent, but you can find various extra acts in the hub world, and download more levels as DLC.

Another big component in the HD version that's not as prominent in the Wii version is medal collecting. It's still there, but while you're automatically given medals in the Wii version just for finishing a level (1 for B rank, 2 for A rank, 3 for S rank), and you don't need them to progress in the game, only to unlock extra levels. In the HD version, you have to get a certain number in order to get through the game (120 sun medals, 120 moon medals is required at the end of the game - there are 200 of each total), and they're all hidden throughout the various hub worlds and levels. The medals in the Sonic day levels are actually pretty well hidden, but you can find most of them in the night levels.

There are also hub worlds (replaced by point & click menus in the Wii version) and a couple of shoot-em-up levels in Tails' plane (they're not fun. they're just giant QTEs. it sucks).

The HD version has a lot of added crap, but where it actually is good, it's better than in the Wii version, I feel.

RobbieNick

Unleashed Daylevels + DLC - MNedal collecting - Werehog = Awesome.

Despite some of it's shortcomings, I still feel this was the best 3-D Sonic game yet.

It sucks that the director's going. I still hope they do an all day level Sonic game. WITH NO STUPID EXTRA GIMMICKS!!

Teknoman

After seeing Adabat's level select hub for the first time...Sega really needs to throw together a Green Hill/Emerald Hill/Angel Island zone pack.

EDIT: Someone said something about a rumored new Sonic game...any more info on that?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm still wondering how hard it is to make a sonic game with

2D gameplay w/ HD graphics
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Dr. Robotnik

Why? Why isn't this being done?

Black_Ice said:
I'm still wondering how hard it is to make a sonic game with

2D gameplay w/ HD graphics
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Dr. Robotnik

Why? Why isn't this being done?
Cost and market.

Their tween focus likes things like the Werehog, they absolutely LOVE Shadow to depths that would make you cringe, and they like Sonic being sassy and saving the world from dark uber-monsters.

The other part is that it's easier to make a HD 2D game when you have a ton of 3D filler you don't blow past quickly.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ShockingAlberto said:
Cost and market.

Their tween focus likes things like the Werehog, they absolutely LOVE Shadow to depths that would make you cringe, and they like Sonic being sassy and saving the world from dark uber-monsters.

Didn't know this. Thanks.

My faith in a good Sonic game coming just flew out the window. :|

HUELEN10

Black_Ice said:
Didn't know this. Thanks.

My faith in a good Sonic game coming just flew out the window. :|
Mine too, but for different reasons. Hashimoto is gone...
Not even Sonic Rush 3 can make this sense of loss for the franchise go away in my book. This is how I wanted my 3D Sonic, and now I know it will never happen again. Still have hopes for the 20th anniversary title though, if there is one...

Truly the best 3D console Sonic. I personally do not think that is up for debate.

The problem of course is that when it comes to Sonic, NO ONE can completely agree to what defines a good Sonic game, that's part of the problem...

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Someone said something about a rumored new Sonic game...any more info on that?
Someone who (supposedly) works with Sega's localization department posted on 4chan details of the next mainline Sonic game.

The next game will essentially just be the day levels from Unleashed. As in, no alternate play styles, no forced playable characters besides Sonic, etc. However, the team will try to incorporate more of the puzzles and platforming seen in the night levels into the day levels to provide for a richer experience.

Expect more Riders and Storybook games to recoup the inevitable losses taken from this game.

Sonic Team's director is gone?

You mean the same one that keeps trying to make the Sonic games more and more 'epic'? The same one that thinks that adding crappy gameplay elements makes the games more 'interesting'?

If so......I can't say I'm too unhappy with that news.

Aaron Strife said:
Someone who (supposedly) works with Sega's localization department posted on 4chan details of the next mainline Sonic game.

Tweaker managed to confirm that the guy was a fake.

SonicMegaDrive said:

You mean the same one that keeps trying to make the Sonic games more and more 'epic'? The same one that thinks that adding crappy gameplay elements makes the games more 'interesting'?

No. I dunno how many times it had to be said that the Sonic Team which worked on Unleashed was a new Sonic Team. The guy you're talking about is Takashi Iizuka, who has been in charge of the series since Sonic Adventure 2, realistically. He was the former head of Sonic Team USA before it was dissolved. He's still around.

[Nintex]

SonicMegaDrive said:

No, he did the Chao programming on Sonic Adventure 2 and the bosses on Sonic Adventure. Somehow he rolled into planning and directing and ended up as Sonic's savior. In interviews he'd talk about how Sonic would be back on track with Unleashed and that Sonic Team had learned from their past mistakes. In fact, he actually expected the game to be succesfull and he's responsible for the development of the Hedgehog Engine.

I wonder what SEGA's next step will be. If I recall correctly the next Sonic should've been a Wii exclusive Sonic game but they decided to invest in Sonic Unleashed on HD systems instead and let Dimps handle the Wii version of Unleashed. That rumor comes from the SEGA employee who left and bitched about Sonic turning into a werehog a year before the game was out.

[QUOTE='[Nintex]'In fact, he actually expected the game to be succesfull and he's responsible for the development of the Hedgehog Engine. [/quote]

Sonic Unleashed was successful.

[QUOTE='[Nintex]'I wonder what SEGA's next step will be. If I recall correctly the next Sonic should've been a Wii exclusive Sonic game but they decided to invest in Sonic Unleashed on HD systems instead and let Dimps handle the Wii version of Unleashed. That rumor comes from the SEGA employee who left and bitched about Sonic turning into a werehog a year before the game was out.[/QUOTE]

got that backwards. The story book series apparently funds the development of the HD sonic games.

TheSonicRetard said:
No. I dunno how many times it had to be said that the Sonic Team which worked on Unleashed was a new Sonic Team. The guy you're talking about is Takashi Iizuka, who has been in charge of the series since Sonic Adventure 2, realistically. He was the former head of Sonic Team USA before it was dissolved. He's still around.

Ah. Doesn't sound like a good thing at all then. Especially if this Iizuka guy is still pulling any strings.

If nothing else, Unleashed was a step in the right direction.

Things will probably continue to remain the same.

Top Bottom