• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Table Tennis" (Xbox 360) Thread

Speevy

Banned
The game ships tomorrow, and depending on reviews, I'm really considering this game. The game is based on Rockstar's first next-generation engine, which will supposedly give gamers a taste of what to expect in future titles.

rockstar-games-presents-table-tennis-20060411004105068.jpg

rockstar-games-presents-table-tennis-20060411004108209.jpg

rockstar-games-presents-table-tennis-20060411004109584.jpg

Gameplay

Olympic rules dictate that the winner of each game is the first to score 11 points, with each player alternating serves every two points. At 10--10 (or deuce) the players alternate with every serve until one player wins with a 2--point lead. Table Tennis matches work on a 'best of' format of any odd number of games.

Below we have a detailed glossary of shots. To be a champion of Table Tennis you need to practice hard and master each shot with a finesse that wipes your opponent off the table.

Top spin -- With a top spin shot, the basic offensive move, the top of the ball is moving in the same direction that the ball is traveling. The difficulty in returning a top spin shot is that the ball will easily pop up high or go off the table, so make sure you're in a position to keep the ball low or counter spin with a top spin shot. The backhand shot is as above with the paddle on the opposite side of the player.

Back spin -- With a backspin shot, the basic defensive move, the bottom of the ball is moving in the same direction that the ball is traveling. This shot can cause the opponent to shoot the ball into the net, so to return a back spin you should avoid lower shots such as a sidespin or counter spin with a back spin shot right back. When you 'chop' or 'push' the ball, you produce backspin. The backhand shot is as above with the paddle on the opposite side of the player.

Side spin -- The side spin shot causes the ball to spin on its vertical axis and curves the ball left or right. This shot is going to cause the ball to go off the paddle in an unexpected direction so the opponent needs to stay focused and ready to reach out left or right to return this shot.

Crosscourt -- Make your player run with the crosscourt shot which hits the ball diagonally from one corner of the table to another. Be cautious to center yourself quickly after this shot as you can leave yourself wide open for your opponent to place the ball out of your reach on the other side of the table.

Down-the-line -- The down the line shot puts the ball along the side of the table parallel to the side lines. The perfect shot to counter your opponent's crosscourt maneuver.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/709/709109p1.html

IGN: What kinds of modes will be available to play? Can you play doubles on online, and what's it like?

Wil: You can play online in two-player exhibition, and four or eight-player round-robin timed tournament modes. The tournaments are handled a little differently from most games in that all the matches in a round of the tournament are played simultaneously, so that everyone gets to keep playing instead of sitting around watching a match. If you want to take a break from playing, we also have a spectator mode for both exhibition and tournament matches.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'll be getting it this week.

Gamertag - matrixadw

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Matrix said:
I'll be getting it this week.

Gamertag - matrixadw

Can't wait to read that you are taking the game back to trade it in next week. :D

Being excited about a table tennis game baffles me. You move 4 feet to each side and hit the ball. This is not a sports game. This is more a tech demo than a game.

Andonuts

Wow, this game isn't a joke.

I figured Rockstar announced this as a sort of response to the Jack Thompson's out there accusing them of making "murder simulators" and shit like that. This seems somewhat akin to the "desert bus" minigame on the Penn and Teller game.

This is not to say that it won't be a good game! The whole thing just seems to be every so slightly tongue in cheek. I mean this is basically PONG: HD-ERA EDITION.

Brashnir

Truelize said:
Can't wait to read that you are taking the game back to trade it in next week. :D

Being excited about a table tennis game baffles me. You move 4 feet to each side and hit the ball. This is not a sports game. This is more a tech demo than a game.

I don't run anywhere while playing any video game. Is golf a sports game? You stand still and hit a ball, OMG. How about pool? you stand still and hit a ball, OMG. Hockey? You skate around and hit a puck. If the game requires skill and is fun, what difference does it make shich sport it chooses to depict?

Speevy

Banned
Truelize said:

Feel free to criticize the game if you buy it. Otherwise, please leave the thread.

Fusebox

Banned
Do the players automatically move into position for you like in the Wii tennis demo so all you have to do is focus on the return, or is this game about both moving and hitting?

Fusebox said:
Do the players automatically move into position for you like in the Wii tennis demo so all you have to do is focus on the return, or is this game about both moving and hitting?

When I played it at E3 the guy from rockstar said unless the shot was really far away to just hold the shot button to charge it. It seemed very similar to virtua tennis and was really fun I'm definatly picking it up so to answer your question mainly returning a little moving.
Gamertag:requiescat

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fusebox said:

Think Top Spin 1.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Truelize said:

You could trivialize any videogame ever created in that fashion.

$30 at Fry's sounds good.

bannerboy

Truelize said:

Wait till you play it! The controls are pretty deep for this type of game plus there are players meters (in the zone type stuff) that are in real time. It's pretty intense gaming!

robot

most likely picking this up - waiting on a few reviews impressions.

looks like it has a ton of potential.

Shit yes I'm getting it. It's going to be a critical component to my Hatch Party for the Lost Season Finale (as we all know there's a Ping Pong Table down there). Pneumatic Injector Shots, Boar Kebobs, and ROCKSTAR TABLE TENNIS MOTHERFUCKER. And then of course the Washing Dishes Drinking Game. (Do they ever do anything else down there aside from shoot people?)

Feel free to hate, haters. This game is going to rock.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Speevy said:
Feel free to criticize the game if you buy it. Otherwise, please leave the thread.

Oh I'll rent the game to see what it's like. My comments were more directed at the GAF crew I play online sports with. :D
If the controls are deep like bannerboy says then I will kindly eat my words.

I honestly think this was put out so Rockstar could get some money back to fund the production of their new game engine. Like a trail run to see how things worked out.

Reviews are this week. I do hope it's good. I just wonder how long the GAF crew will be playing this.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'll probably buy this game regardless of the reviews; it looks pretty fun, and impressions of it haven't been bad. Plus, it's been two months since anything good has come out for the 360, and it'll be another two months before anything else does, as well.

Outcast2004 said:
...it's ping pong. Really, how can anyone be excited for a next gen version of PONG?

I have a rare blood disease that renders me unable to make knee jerk assumptions with no tangible evidence.

That's me, though.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Truelize said:

I only return 2k games right away :p

Flo_Evans

so anyone get this? I want something that I can get my GF into so I can play in my living room instead of my office :lol

Joe

is there always that slow motion between shots? i saw a gameplay video and it was pretty annoying.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Matrix said:
I only return 2k games right away :p

Aren't 2k games and Rockstar part of the same company now? Still counts then. And this game has the same sweat that NBA2k6 has. :)

Matrix

Reznor said:
Such a low score, but such a extremely POSITIVE sounding review...

Yea wtf

Speevy

Banned
I think they created a really great gameplay engine and said "Okay, stick it online and we're done."

I do enjoy the back and forth of racket games, but with literally no longevity except online and that which you create for yourself, I might have to look elsewhere. It's a shame because I was really wondering what they put along with that fun gameplay and sharp graphics. Xbox Live Arcade could have done this game a service.

Top Bottom