• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Table Tennis" (Xbox 360) Thread

Sysgen

Matrix said:
hmmmmmm....

DVD-[Jerk,-web-large].article.jpg

crunker99

robot said:
:lol care to eloborate?

well let me put it this way

me and my brother were playing

all i did was hold the pad out with my right hand and use the A button without touching anything else

even on serve

he actually played

i beat him 11-3 and then 11-5

you can draw your own conslusions

I've been following this game and been interested (especially with the few 360 releases on the near horizon) but in the end it's hard for me to spend 39.99 on it, seems like a 19.99 purchase to me after looking at the features and reviews. Admittedly though if I played online a lot I would consider it a lot more. Now I just hope Rockstar San Diego gets everyone cracking on Red Dead Revolver 2 so we see it in the next year or so.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
crunker99 said:
you can draw your own conslusions

Your brother sucks at games.

dakiparu

TTP said:
The correct review is the Eurogamer one. The gameplay is flawless, easy to pick up and difficult to master. It's a simple, arcade friendly sport game ment to be played with other human beings either locally or over the net. And at that little price. Table Tennis has me wondering if this is the way to go for 1 vs 1 sport sims. Just diss the career crap and get straight to the point. After all, a proper career mode in this type of games is just smoke and mirrors to justify the high price tag. Make it cheap and keep the fun. I like this.

the perfect post!:)

crunker99

jedimike said:

my gt is GamersReportsDM, the fact that the Xenobyte99 gt hasnt been used to play a single game might have been a clue that the gt was inactive

look it up there mr detective

not everyone on GAF is a liar you know

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=GamersReportsDM

just because im saying a rockstar game isnt good doenst mean i am making it up

the game is worth a rent at best unless you are a diehard rockstar fan or a diehard ping pong fan

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This game rules.

- Great graphics, awesome character models. The faces in particular are extremely realistic. The sweat is a nice touch, too.
- Extremely stylish. Menus look really nice, and the overall presentation is just really well done and polished. I love how the music fades in once you get a rally of 10+ going.
- Yeah, there's no career mode, but there IS a lot of stuff to unlock via exhibition matches and four different tournaments, and there's 29 achievements.
- Decent amount of options for tweaking/variety. There's also a stats page that is ridiculously in-depth, and tracks pretty much everything you do.
- "Table Tennis Network" (like Gotham TV) is pretty cool. I don't see myself using it much, but I appreciate them adding it in.

The CPU is a pretty good opponent. It took me three matches before I was able to win on medium difficulty. The game got a lot easier once I realized that it works the same way as dial-a-combos do in fighting games - you can input your commands before the ball even gets to you, so you don't need perfect timing. This DOES make the game a bit simple, though - if it was the other way around, it would be a lot more realistic, but also much more challenging.

Totally worth $40, I'd say.

acksman

Great game so far! Make sure and try the Training mode, it does help enhance the game play in the nuances of ball control.

jedimike

crunker99 said:
my gt is GamersReportsDM, the fact that the Xenobyte99 gt hasnt been used to play a single game might have been a clue that the gt was inactive

look it up there mr detective

not everyone on GAF is a liar you know

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=GamersReportsDM

just because im saying a rockstar game isnt good doenst mean i am making it up

the game is worth a rent at best unless you are a diehard rockstar fan or a diehard ping pong fan

Then why not change your public profile to reflect that?

TheDuce22

Banned
I got it at Frys. For 30 bucks its definitely worth it from what ive played so far. I dont think its possible to make a better table tennis game.

Speevy

Banned
Btw, no one should think I'm being hard on this game. It's just that I have very few slots for game buys for the rest of this year, and I want to make them count.

I'll probably buy it later on.

Having had zero interest in this game from the moment it was announced, I played it today for a good hour and was really impressed!

The graphics and animation are incredible (some of the best on the system, IMO) and the gameplay is just a whole lot of fun. It IS definitely a game you want to have a few buddies to play with, or an Xbox Live account for the online play, as the single player is (as stated by IGN) pretty lacking. But overall, for $40 bucks, I'd say it's a solid purchase if you've got the friends and time for a few tourneys.

Speevy

Banned
Rockstar has stated in interviews that this is the engine they'd like to use in Xbox 360 games, so this game should give you a general idea of the kind of people you'll be beating to death with baseball bats in 07.

JB1981

This game so owns. Not for nothin', but I think it's one of the best sports titles I've ever played.

Tag: Beamber.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Just beat the Amateur Circuit.

I really like the controls. Nothing too crazy, yet not overly simplistic.

jluedtke

I must really suck at this effing game. I just played 4 matches on "Easy" in Exhibition mode and didn't win a single game. WTF? I went through the Tutorial Mode and got a perfect score on all the lessons, but apparently just suck at the actual game...pain in the ass...

crunker99

jedimike said:
Then why not change your public profile to reflect that?

why is everyone who says a game is not good at GAF instantly untrustworthy? yet anyone who says a game "rocks!!!!" in a thread is instantly trusted...

unfortuiantely thats the way GAF works, it wouldnt have mattered if i updated it it would just be some other thing i was lyign about or dont really have it or didnt exist its how it works here

anyway the game is worth a rent, if you buy it and leap without looking you will be sorry most likley, rent it first

GhaleonEB

crunker99 said:
why is everyone who says a game is not good at GAF instantly untrustworthy? yet anyone who says a game "rocks!!!!" in a thread is instantly trusted...

unfortuiantely thats the way GAF works, it wouldnt have mattered if i updated it it would just be some other thing i was lyign about or dont really have it or didnt exist its how it works here

anyway the game is worth a rent, if you buy it and leap without looking you will be sorry most likley, rent it first
From the reactions in this thread, and the reviews so far, you are in the vast minority. How does that translate to "most likely" not enjoying it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jluedtke said:
I must really suck at this effing game. I just played 4 matches on "Easy" in Exhibition mode and didn't win a single game. WTF? I went through the Tutorial Mode and got a perfect score on all the lessons, but apparently just suck at the actual game...pain in the ass...

I suggest u use the chinese dude at the beginning (Lei or Liu Ping IIRC) cos he's the most balanced player. If u already did well, yep, u suck :lol j/k

I'm stuck at the third (gold medal) tournamet. Guess this is the part where "difficult to master" thing comes into play.

jluedtke

TTP said:
I suggest u use the chinese dude at the beginning (Lei or Liu Ping IIRC) cos he's the most balanced player. If u already did well, yep, u suck :lol j/k

I'm stuck at the third (gold medal) tournamet. Guess this is the part where "difficult to master" thing comes into play.

Yeah...I suck. I've been using Liu Ping the whole time. I won one game, but no matches yet. There must be some technique or something that I'm just not getting. I'll be standing right next to the ball, but not hit it. Or I'll get up by 2 pts and all of a sudden get my ass handed to me.

Frustrating...

crunker99

GhaleonEB said:
From the reactions in this thread, and the reviews so far, you are in the vast minority. How does that translate to "most likely" not enjoying it?

its the nature of these official game threads, most of the time only the people who care about the game come in

the people who care about the game are mostly the people who are loking forward to it alot

the people who are looking foward to it alot are usually the ones who will overlook many flaws

etc etc

im just trying to give u the other side of the coin from a reviewers point of view.. IGN has it right for once

TheDuce22

Banned
crunker99 said:
IGN has it right for once

IGN said:
It's one hell of a table tennis game. The control is intuitive; the precision mechanics are impressive. The gameplay is tough, intense, and it's engaging in a subconscious way. It gets under your skin, the way that any good game does.

IGN said:
Table Tennis is a lean, straight-to-the-point game that captures the essence of table tennis exceptionally well. It's a super fun, incredibly addictive, surprisingly focused and smartly designed game that's totally worth $39.99.

I agree with you. IGN had it right.

robot

Picked it up this afternoon - beat the first tourney & unlocked a character using Luc. At first I picked him cause he reminded me of Luc Wilson in the Royal Tanembaums, but after a few close-ups I realized I was way off (mustve been the headband). I started using the guy I unlocked and he has much better control, and still retains Luc's spin. Awesome freakin game so far, can't wait to play gaf and friends online.

Without going too in-depth just yet, whatever this game might lack in extras, makes up for it in rock-solid gameplay. After you play it and realize how much fun it is, you wont even care that it might be missing a career mode or a few mini games (for those that go for that kind of stuff). It also does so many things right - streamlined replays you actually use, the way it handles out of bounds plays, the spin controls, music building up as the rallys go longer, etc.

It reminds me alot like Virtua Tennis except the court is 5 ft wide and the pace moves like 500 times faster. Great stuff.

TheDuce22

Banned
I love the way they set up the characters. They each have their own personality along with specific strengths and weaknesses. It reminds me of that old sega saturn game, Decathelete.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
So I took my xdude to bestbuy and they exchanged it. I've put a few hours in so far and just did my first multi match. it was fantastic :D came down to the 3rd match and i won 11-9 with a 40+ rally at the end. what a blast. i love the spectator option online too.

Hayami

Banned
If anyone out there is worried that moms can't play this game, I just BEAT my mother-in-law. So there ya go. There goes some ammo for that shotgun.

Sh0k

Great game ! What it sucks is that I'm color blind and I can't finish the damn last tutorial : counterspin + colors not good for me.

Gamertag : Shokleeto

acksman

Well getting my butt kicked online, haha, but the use of rumble ( ya rumble is outdated *boggle* ) really helps to keep the ball on the table. I heard a cell phone ringing once and thought it was mine and it was in the game crowd, lol to funny.

Bog

Junior Ace
sefskillz said:
So I took my xdude to bestbuy and they exchanged it. I've put a few hours in so far and just did my first multi match. it was fantastic :D came down to the 3rd match and i won 11-9 with a 40+ rally at the end. what a blast. i love the spectator option online too.

I like this guy already.

Top Bottom