• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Table Tennis" (Xbox 360) Thread

Hayami

Banned
Well, my wife got mad that I was playing so much of this that she officially banned me from the TV till Monday. Little does she know that I've got a 27" hidden in the garage!

I'll be outside! For a while!

- Dr. Bananers.

pilonv1

TTP said:
LOL, I guess they didn't even check the Option screen :p

You can disable those cutaways

Maybe the same brothers roomates sisters defacto drug dealing husband who fed them the line about $40 games told them they couldn't change it?

Kingpen

Shit... this hype is getting to me bad.... I already have Top Spin 2.... I played a good 15 hours straight, and probably still have about 5 to go in Career, but now I am wondering if I should ditch it for Table Tennis....

I love Top Spin as well for its career mode, but the way the game play has been described in this, it sounds so much better.

I don't have room in my collection for 2 racket games at this time....

Anyone else in the same situation?

AWWW maaaaaaan. Had a 4 win streak going in ranked exhibitions, me and my boy Luc were gonna go for the fifth and lost in a squeaker! Can't say enough how straight up fun this shit is on live, and in case anyone missed my gamertag before it's: peetah31

Add me to your friends list guys.
sportzhead360.png

http://live.xbox.com/member/sportzhead360

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I finally got to play this game today at EB for about an hour and a half and...yes I am buying it Friday. Really an incredible looking game, plays well and it is FUN.

Sure it is basic as hell, but it is fun as hell as well. Basic controls, but mastery seemed very hard to obtain. Graphically and Audio-wise, it is as good as it gets. I will be playing this along with UNO and Burnout as my favorite 360 games.

skip

TTP said:
LOL, I guess they didn't even check the Option screen :p

You can disable those cutaways

yeah, my bad. a note has been added to the review. the score still stands.

senahorse

pubba said:
Anyone know if this is region free or not?

This I would like to know also, anyone?

Edit: it appears the NTSC(wikipedia) version is region free, but I would like to know if the PAL version is.

SpokkX

x3n05 said:
This I would like to know also, anyone?

Edit: it appears the NTSC(wikipedia) version is region free, but I would like to know if the PAL version is.

can anyone confirm that the ntsc-version is region free? it is MUCH cheaper

Peter303

sportzhead said:
I just looked in the instruction manual, and this game has 43 music tracks. Rockstar really needs to release a soundtrack.

Is there a list of the tracks online anywhere? I'd really like to see what music they've included. The track on the trailer was great, hopefully there's loads more like it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
skip said:
yeah, my bad. a note has been added to the review. the score still stands.

No problem dude. That's the reason I put that ":p" at the end. I know shit like this may happen. Sadly, when it happens on a print mag you are pretty much fucked :lol

The novelty of talking to idiots on XBL wore off long ago. I am never wearing my headset again. Voice chat is the pits. If you feel otherwise please feel free to leave me lots of negative feedback! I'm sure it'll be balanced out by all the people thankful that they didn't have to play with a dude who spent the entire game breathing in their ear.

JB1981 said:
Lovin' the game, but what's up with the Phantom Returns online? Anyone else picking up on this glitch? It's like, you think you hit a winner but your opponent returns the ball without a hand - ball just gets hit back by the air. So annoying. Almost makes the game unplayable.

Hopefully they can fix this glitch.
Yeah, I've seen that quite a few times. I also played a guy who could walk through the table and hit shots no matter how far they were from him! I think it was a ghost! Or possibly lag! But most likely a g-g-ghost!

I also had a shot that I clearly should have missed make a 90 degree turn and connect with my paddle. And I lost one game cuz it showed the guy missing the ball. But in REAL LIFE he did not miss at all, and he hit the ball back at me, and since it was invisible I LOST. I wasn't happy. But I'm still playing cuz this is pretty fun!

I like when you have a long rally and the models get drenched with sweat. That's how you know you're playing in the HD ERA. Lots of sweat!

I'm playing a lot, so add me if you like the weak, silent type! Rummy Bunnz Rx!

SERGE

haha this game is a fucking hoot! online it is freaking great!
More practice is needed but this game is so freaking intense!
5 hours straight and my thumb is killing me, played against a guy from the Netherlands and the match was soooo close that we both laughed at the final shot I lost to.
Great fun! xbox live is such a great thing.

is the arab dude some super power? i played 3 people online last night, and 2 of them picked that guy and stomped me. love the game though, put me on your buddylist! ill be around today

gamertag: FrenchMov

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
JB1981 said:
Guys, how do you unlock new characters? I've got no clue .....
pretty sure it tells you if you look at the achivements. they all revolve around winning the tournaments iirc.

loving the online play, just like the rest of you. lots of fun.

gt: sefskillz

VALIS said:
Everyone else I can beat handily, but Jesper beats my ass senseless. Any tips? He doesn't seem to react well to backspins, but that's the hardest shot to pull off.

Well I haven't beaten him yet, but I have been improving against him. Here are some things I've noticed over the course of our titanic struggle:

- If you send him a moderately powerful serve from the middle he will ALWAYS return to your right side and if you don't head there INSTANTLY after you serve, it will get by you.

- Sending him lighter serves seems to take the edge off him as he's much better at taking advantage of momentum than causing it himself. Start off light and you just might be able to get a good one in on him.

- Watch the edges. Nearly every hsot he wins, he wins by getting one by on my far side. I haven't yet been able to find the right distance from the table or the right spot to get at all of them.

Note, though, that at this point I'm not using a lot of fancy soft or focus shots. I'm focusing on counter spin and the occasional aim, so that probably has a lot to do with my losing. With these sorts of games I always have to ease into the more complicated stuff. Patting your head and your belly at the same time, etc.

C4Lukins

JB1981 said:
Lovin' the game, but what's up with the Phantom Returns online? Anyone else picking up on this glitch? It's like, you think you hit a winner but your opponent returns the ball without a hand - ball just gets hit back by the air. So annoying. Almost makes the game unplayable.

Hopefully they can fix this glitch.

Just lag. And what sucks is it seems to be the other guy lagging the couple of times it happened to me. They were hitting invisible shots, and I would think I hit a winner only to see I lost the point. Luckily in both games that this happened, the other player disconnected and I sitll got the win.

Add me people, I want to play an online tournament tonight. Gamertag: C4Lukin

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Put me on your list

Malley mal

I could not sleep last night until I beat jesper. needless to say i got no sleep :-(

Drey1082

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well I haven't beaten him yet, but I have been improving against him. Here are some things I've noticed over the course of our titanic struggle:

- If you send him a moderately powerful serve from the middle he will ALWAYS return to your right side and if you don't head there INSTANTLY after you serve, it will get by you.

- Sending him lighter serves seems to take the edge off him as he's much better at taking advantage of momentum than causing it himself. Start off light and you just might be able to get a good one in on him.

- Watch the edges. Nearly every hsot he wins, he wins by getting one by on my far side. I haven't yet been able to find the right distance from the table or the right spot to get at all of them.

Note, though, that at this point I'm not using a lot of fancy soft or focus shots. I'm focusing on counter spin and the occasional aim, so that probably has a lot to do with my losing. With these sorts of games I always have to ease into the more complicated stuff. Patting your head and your belly at the same time, etc.

I beat him on my first try (assuming you're talking about the second tourney)
I noticed that all his returns come back at insane speeds, so I tried using all backspin shots (Y) and beat him in two sets. The backspin lets you get back in position to return anything he throws at you, and after a while, he'll fuck up and do a net shot or hit it over the table.

I found the first noob tourny hard. I got stuck on Carmen for like 2 hours.
I dunno why people are having trouble on the 2nd tourny, let alone jesper. It was simple and took barely any time at all. o.o

Jesper keeps kicking my ass in the "easy" tournament, but it's been pretty close. Usually comes down to the last point before he starts really turning on the Swedish cheat.

Fun game though so far, I really like how they made it pretty easy to indentify the spin on the ball.

Word on the street is that you can unlock more characters not only by beating tournaments in a set amount of time, but if you actually just
beat the CPU a certain amount of times as well (for both exhibition and tournament). I think you'll get the last character after 50 wins
, but I've yet to confirm this personally...I'm stuck at work :(

theREBELins said:
Word on the street is that you can unlock more characters not only by beating tournaments in a set amount of time, but if you actually just
beat the CPU a certain amount of times as well (for both exhibition and tournament). I think you'll get the last character after 50 wins
, but I've yet to confirm this personally...I'm stuck at work :(

Not quite sure what it unlocked, but also noticed that I saw the unlock symbol pop up when i got into a really long rally. (over 80 returns)

hyp

wow. this game gets progressively better the more you play it! i love the frantic last nanosecond decision making aspect in addition to exploiting your opponent's vulnerable positions. not only is this game very strategic, but the pacing is fuckin' amazing -- especially when both players are in the "focus" zone. the match gets so quick and twitchy but all the while you feel in total control of what's going on.

rockstar fucking nailed it with the controls. after a while you begin to understand how to anticipate shots and when to use a quick soft shot or charge up for a smash. all the gameplay mechanics and animations blend so smoothly that when you get deep into a match it becomes such a visceral experience and pretty close to that "lucid dream" peter was talking about. at least for me, the graphics benefit this game so well because you start to understand your opponent's patterns and are able to read the types of shots they make from their play style. fuck what the tutorial says about reading the colors of the ball... the animations are telling enough.

i spent a lot of time playing this last night. i started at 10pm and didn't sleep until about 3:30am. i mean WTF, it's a damn ping pong game. but holy shit, i now know what the reviewers meant by the whole "zen" experience. the gameplay has so much depth that 100+ hit rallies will probably be the norm in matches where two players have mastered the controls. best $29.99 i've spent on the 360 so far.

hyp said:
wow. this game gets progressively better the more you play it! i love the frantic last nanosecond decision making aspect in addition to exploiting your opponent's vulnerable positions. not only is this game very strategic, but the pacing is fuckin' amazing -- especially when both players are in the "focus" zone. the match gets so quick and twitchy but all the while you feel in total control of what's going on.

rockstar fucking nailed it with the controls. after a while you begin to understand how to anticipate shots and when to use a quick soft shot or charge up for a smash. all the gameplay mechanics and animations blend so smoothly that when you get deep into a match it becomes such a visceral experience and pretty close to that "lucid dream" peter was talking about. at least for me, the graphics benefit this game so well because you start to understand your opponent's patterns and are able to read the types of shots they make from their play style. fuck what the tutorial says about reading the colors of the ball... the animations are telling enough.

i spent a lot of time playing this last night. i started at 10pm and didn't sleep until about 3:30am. i mean WTF, it's a damn ping pong game. but holy shit, i now know what the reviewers meant by the whole "zen" experience. the gameplay has so much depth that 100+ hit rallies will probably be the norm in matches where two players have mastered the controls. best $29.99 i've spent on the 360 so far.

I'm hurting for cash right now, I REALLY shouldn't have read that. :D

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
have my copy coming next week so I am excited to play something new on the 360.

X-Men the movie game stinks so far... this should fill the void in May for me.

Truelize said:
Must.

Resist.

Gaf.

Hype........

Powers weakening........

I know, earlier in this thread, I'm like I'll wait for it to come down, now I'm thinking about using some Best Buy coupons to pick it up this weekend.

C4Lukins

I love playing the 1 or 2 game 7 point matches online. I think it is a perfect way to play it. My biggest complaint with games like this and Top Spin, is that the matches can just last to long. With the 7 point matches you can play several different opponents in under an hour, but if you are having a really good competitive match it can still last a good ten minutes. And with the frantic pace, you need to rest your mind for a couple minutes after each match. The game has really grown on me.

jluedtke

Another way to beat Jesper is to wait until he starts moving further back from the table and then just lob him a backspin (pull back on both analog sticks). 9 times out of 10 he won't get back to the table in time.

hyp

Truelize said:
Must.

Resist.

Gaf.

Hype........

Powers weakening........

:lol sorry, hope i didn't add to that. i just wasn't expecting it to be such a good game. i thought it was going to be a throw away budget title. but i can really see myself playing this on and off for the long term.

acksman

Whats odd, I have never enjoyed losing so much in a game. Most games, when I lose, I get all pissed, but for some reason this one online is fun win/lose. I am trying to think the last time I have had that dual feeling about a game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
GitarooMan said:
I know, earlier in this thread, I'm like I'll wait for it to come down, now I'm thinking about using some Best Buy coupons to pick it up this weekend.

I even think the whole concept of the whole is stupid and I'm having a hard time not running out right now and finding it somewhere. :lol

Gaf hype is like the darkside of the force.

hyp

so does anyone else think that rockstar priced this game low and gimped the features with the thought of future microtransactions or XBL additions?

i don't see it being hard for them to implement a doubles mode, new characters, new stadiums, etc. i just have a gut feeling that this is their little experiment before GTAIV to see how microtransactions will come into play and how well they will be received by 360 owners. new additions would be great.

just a thought...

Finally did beat Jesper this morning. Forcing him back off the table helps, but i also found that much softer serves will catch him off balance a bit sometimes. A lot of my points from him came when he thought he had a smash opp, but ends up flying the ball off the table. As long as the characters keep being this unique, I not only won't miss career mode.. i don't even want it. It's really a lot like a fighting game where you have to learn the styles of different fighters to win.

Part of the fantasy of a "career" mode in most games capitalizes on something most people dream about when they're kids, playing pro baseball, football, hockey, whatever. I don't think many people ever quite have that dream they'll become a world class table tennis player. Career mode is not missed.

Kumi seems like she'll be pretty tough, she really likes the side spins.

VALIS

Both my thumbs are red and bloated to seemingly twice their size today, like two little white trash Britney Spearses. Ping pong is for the hardcore, yo.

hyp

VALIS said:
Both my thumbs are red and bloated to seemingly twice their size today, like two little white trash Britney Spearses. Ping pong is for the hardcore, yo.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol who would've thought?

Kingpen

So an 8.5 from gamespot huh, compared to a 8.2 for Top Spin 2....

Damn all you guys and your drooling impressions... It is making it hard to resist not getting this game that wasn't supposed to be on the radar anyway.

How many of you traded in Top Spin 2 for this? I'm almost thinking of keeping both if I get it....

acksman said:
Whats odd, I have never enjoyed losing so much in a game. Most games, when I lose, I get all pissed, but for some reason this one online is fun win/lose. I am trying to think the last time I have had that dual feeling about a game.

You're right. Everytime I've lossed it's been at least close, and it's because the other person was obviously more 'on the ball' than me. I'd just accept defeat, and be pumped for the next match :D

Top Bottom