• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Table Tennis" (Xbox 360) Thread

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
is the arab dude some super power? i played 3 people online last night, and 2 of them picked that guy and stomped me. love the game though, put me on your buddylist! ill be around today

gamertag: FrenchMov

It took me 3 times to beat him in the amature mode,havent face anyone online with him yet.

I was playing online last night and really talking it up, talking basketball, Kings, Lakers, playoffs, but it was crazy because once we stated getting a good rally going we both just went completely silent. One of us would win the point and the discussion would start right up like we never stopped talking, it was weird now that I think about it.

This game is so amazing. When you get a good, long rally going, you feel the only thing in the world is you and the TV. All you hear is ping, ping, ping, ping, x60, then cheers, then the world around you come back into focus.

JB1981

Ok, so when do we get a full line of Rockstar Sports titles? :D

This is one of the best one-on-one sports games ever made.

Favorite game on the X360. Everything about this game just screams polish. Admittedly at 60 bucks I would not have considered it, but at 40 it is a no-brainer. Hopefully Rockstar put some hooks in the game that will allow for some new crazy arenas and maybe extra characters (C. J. from GTA:SA would be hot) For a gamer that mainly plays online, this game perfect for me as I could not give a fuck about some drawn-out career mode. I have been thinking about Table Tennis all day here at work, and I can't wait to get home to play it for several hours. Damn real world and career.... :mad:

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I will be picking it up tomorrow. I'll be playing tomorrow night.

I am not as crazy about online play as alot of people, but seems that the single player was good enough to keep my occupied. But I will be playing online.

GT: dskillzhtown

Hayami

Banned
I came home from WORK just to play this! Better yet, the wife is gone, so the living room is all MINE!

Guys, someone stop me!

- Dr. Bananers.

HOLY CRAP just beat the Amateur Tourney and I am SO DAMN exhilarated. Jesper was no match against valley of the backspin. Just stay back from the table and you should be fine.

Faced Kumi in the finals and took care of her on my second try. Going from a powerhouse like Jesper to a spin-machine like Kumi shows how amazingly deep this game really is. I had to change my entire game to face her and as opposed to Jesper stumbling over the backspin, nearly every point against Kumi was marathon. When you face someone like her it's like fucking Brain Training if you're down with the counterspin.

RED!
BLUE!
BLUE!
RED!
BLUE!

Also, I just realized with all my tippery in previous posts I may have been saying Jurgen when I meant Jesper. Everything I've said about my never ending battle has been referring to Jesper, not Juergen (whom I just unlocked). Sorry if that confused anyone.

But yeah, this game rules. The ultimate fighting game with NO combos, which are bullshit. Heavenly.

hyp

sportzhead said:
This game is so amazing. When you get a good, long rally going, you feel the only thing in the world is you and the TV. All you hear is ping, ping, ping, ping, x60, then cheers, then the world around you come back into focus.

that's exactly what i meant by the whole visceral, peter moore "lucid dream" experience. you get so drawn in that reality becomes a blur... fuck i want to go home and play already!

Kingpen

Couldn't resist the urge... traded in Top Spin 2 after booting it up, looking at the graphics, and saying fuck this shit.
I'll be online with this...

GT: KINGPEN66

TheDuce22

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
Are you guys using the buttons or analog stick to play?

I asked this earlier. I think most people use the stick. It seems more difficult at first but once you get used to it you have the advantage over people who just use the buttons.... I think.

Flo_Evans

ahhhhhhh must resist urge to spend more money! T_T

damn it - its not working

I kind of want to hold out for a price drop, but it sucks being LTTP in online games after everyone has mastered them :lol

Speevy

Banned
Who knew a table tennis game would turn out to be one of the best games on the Xbox 360? It's too bad that the residents of this thread are probably the only ones who bought it. :p

Over 50K would be great though.

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
Who knew a table tennis game would turn out to be one of the best games on the Xbox 360? It's too bad that the residents of this thread are probably the only ones who bought it. :p

Over 50K would be great though.
It's the top 360 seller at eb.com, for what it's worth. Has been for two days.

Truelize said:
Can't wait to read that you are taking the game back to trade it in next week. :D

Being excited about a table tennis game baffles me. You move 4 feet to each side and hit the ball. This is not a sports game. This is more a tech demo than a game.

:lol You obviously don't know a lot about table tennis then.

I've been playing competetively for five years now, and I'm gonna tell you-- it IS a sport, in every way.

Real table tennis is a lot more like traditional tennis than it is basement ping pong-- get this, there are actual STROKES: forehands, backhands, etc, and it is a very physically demanding sport. I'm sorry, but... a table tennis player is as much an athlete as anyone else, trust me.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'll pick this up as soon as i can make it to frys, maybe tonight. any idea how long their sales last?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
TheDuce22 said:
I asked this earlier. I think most people use the stick. It seems more difficult at first but once you get used to it you have the advantage over people who just use the buttons.... I think.

Okay, I played at EB with the buttons, then used the stick. Didn't really see much of an advantage either way, but then again I hadn't been through the tutorial or read the instructions either. The ball did seem to 'spin' more with the sticks, but hard to tell with just one sitting.

Mrbob

The ball physics in this game are amazing. I was worried that all the hits would be in a canned direction but this doesn't seem to be the case. You can even hit the edge of the table, and the ball will take an angle to the ground making it practically unhittable, like in real life.

ascully

There was a xbox live update on Table Tennis this afternoon anyone know what has changed? I didnt notice anything but it seemed the single player got easier all of a sudden,might just be me getting better though :)

TheDuce22

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
Okay, I played at EB with the buttons, then used the stick. Didn't really see much of an advantage either way, but then again I hadn't been through the tutorial or read the instructions either. The ball did seem to 'spin' more with the sticks, but hard to tell with just one sitting.

With the stick its eaiser to combine say a frontspin or backspin with left or right IMO. At this point its more difficult for me to counterspin using the stick though.

You obviously don't know a lot about table tennis then.

I've been playing competetively for five years now, and I'm gonna tell you-- it IS a sport, in every way.

Real table tennis is a lot more like traditional tennis than it is basement ping pong-- get this, there are actual STROKES: forehands, backhands, etc, and it is a very physically demanding sport. I'm sorry, but... a table tennis player is as much an athlete as anyone else, trust me.

Fuckin A - i'll second that sentiment -although it's nowhere near as much about fitness like tennis or squash, you still have to be able to control your body and be able to hit the shots your opponent can't - in fact TT is far more about skill than stamina, but being an athlete requires both.

gollumsluvslave said:
Fuckin A - i'll second that sentiment -although it's nowhere near as much about fitness like tennis or squash, you still have to be able to control your body and be able to hit the shots your opponent can't - in fact TT is far more about skill than stamina, but being an athlete requires both.

Yeah, that is true, I can't argue.

That's not to say high-level table tennis doesn't require fitness or stamina--it does-- just not as much as some other sports, for obvious reasons.

But yeah, anyway. All I'm saying is that it's definitely a "sport".

winter

WastingPenguins said:
Yeah, that is true, I can't argue.

That's not to say high-level table tennis doesn't require fitness or stamina--it does-- just not as much as some other sports, for obvious reasons.

But yeah, anyway. All I'm saying is that it's definitely a "sport".

Ok, it's as much of a sport as curling, figure skating, and for that matter, nascar.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
ascully said:
There was a xbox live update on Table Tennis this afternoon anyone know what has changed? I didnt notice anything but it seemed the single player got easier all of a sudden,might just be me getting better though :)

I didnt get an update :\ What time was this?

aparisi2274

anyone having any issues inviting friends on their XBL friend list to a game? I can play online with any person I choose, but when I try to connect to my friends who are playing, or they invite me to a game, I get "Failed to connect to game invite"

VALIS

I hate Jesper with every molecule of my being. When I finally beat him I'm immediately going to put down the controller, pick up the telephone and rent a catering hall and a DJ for my FUCK YOU JESPER party.

Drakken

WastingPenguins said:
:lol You obviously don't know a lot about table tennis then.

Just curious - how'd you get into professional table tennis?

Flo_Evans

Drakken said:
Just curious - how'd you get into professional table tennis?

probably by being good at table tennis?

I was playing against some guy that was in the military and was stationed in taiwan. He said they where nuts about ping pong over there :lol

he kicked my ass pretty bad >_<

Flo_Evans

VALIS said:
I hate Jesper with every molecule of my being. When I finally beat him I'm immediately going to put down the controller, pick up the telephone and rent a catering hall and a DJ for my FUCK YOU JESPER party.

Jesper is easily delt with with a little backspin.

GuessWho

aparisi2274 said:
anyone having any issues inviting friends on their XBL friend list to a game? I can play online with any person I choose, but when I try to connect to my friends who are playing, or they invite me to a game, I get "Failed to connect to game invite"

had the same problem, all you need to do is restart ur 360 download auto update and voila problem solved.

Mrbob

Me and my girl Haley won our first ranked Timed Tournament! Damn that is fun. Playing while the clock is ticking, exciting! :D

Although not counting total points kind of sucks. I went 6-1 (or 7-1 I forget) in the timed tournament, and the one match I lost I had lost the first game 5-3 and was up in the second game 3-0 when time ran out. I had more points but lost the match.

Bog

Junior Ace
Bad news. T-Bwone Harrison broke his foot today when he was up on a ladder painting his house.

Foil

ManaByte said:
Anyone know if Forest Gump is an unlockable character?

Logging on in a min to play if anyone's on.

If Rockstar is reading this, Forrest Gump needs to be the first character added via DLC. :lol

Game is awesome btw. I totally wrote this off when it was announced. I'm eating my words now.

BioFan

GuessWho said:
had the same problem, all you need to do is restart ur 360 download auto update and voila problem solved.
what auto update?
oh nevermind...was just asked to auto update...:lol

maynerd

Banned
Well I picked up the game today. I must say it's pretty cool.

I went through the training and got perfect scores then went into an exhibition match. I first played on medium and got destroyed like 22-1.

I then put the game on easy and played an exhibition match. Very tight battle that went 3 games and I came out on top...barely.

I tried a tournament and pretty much whipped up on the computer and took the title quite easily.

So, now I figured that I should go online.

I checked out the network thing and thought that it was pretty cool to watch other people playing. I guess this feature may be in other games, PGR3?

So I decided to play an unranked match. MAN OH MAN. Wow that was fun and intense. Unfortunately the person on the other side didn't use their mic so it was a little...meh.

I lost the first game 22 to 20 with me losing game point on a 114 hit rally. That was just nuts.

I went on to win the next two games and the match. 22-17 and 22-20. The last match I was down by four at one point and was feeling like I couldn't catch up. But I then went on to score 9 straight points. The match took about 40 minutes or so. I did experience some lag at times which really hurts in a fast paced game like this.

I do like the game, it's very fun, fast paced and instense. I'm currently playing with the buttons instead of the stick, I think I'll get decent with the buttons first then upgrade to the sticks after my skills have improved.

My thumbs hurt.

maynerd said:
I do like the game, it's very fun, fast paced and instense. I'm currently playing with the buttons instead of the stick, I think I'll get decent with the buttons first then upgrade to the sticks after my skills have improved.

My thumbs hurt.

I kept trying to switch to the sticks, but in the heat of battle I just can`t get the same responsiveness. Anyone got any tips?

To be honest, I don`t mind using the buttons, you just have to learn how to press two at once, the backspin+leftspin being the hardest to pull off.

Klocker

DaCocoBrova said:
There's no first person view?

nope

damn, I wonder why ... that's usually the first thing I think about in a sports game but for some reason, I'm not missing it ... yet.

sharukins

Banned
I always lose against the swedish guy in hard mode. he always gets the power shot on my right side (of Ping) and I cant get it back in play, how do i beat this guy!!! HELP

Top Bottom