• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Table Tennis" (Xbox 360) Thread

Klocker said:
nope

damn, I wonder why ... that's usually the first thing I think about in a sports game but for some reason, I'm not missing it ... yet.

They way the mechanics work would not play in first person, you wouldn`t see much of what is going on. I don`t think the game loses anything from not having it.

senahorse

I cannot believe HOW FREAKIN GOOD this game is for live. I was playing single player thinking, this is ok but what is so special.

On live, it is OMFG best live quick play game ever.

How good is it when both of you online are in the green zone power, and the everything goes dark except then table and the players, and the speed is insane. I just had a rally that went to 95 lol, me and this american guy were pissing ourselves laughing.

robot said:
had a crazy 144 hit rally last night online - whats everyone else's longest run?

223. And it's not like we were playing fluff to try and get it either. I was Jesper, he was Juergen. It was pretty fucking intense.

robot

BenjaminBirdie said:
223. And it's not like we were playing fluff to try and get it either. I was Jesper, he was Juergen. It was pretty fucking intense.

Thats freakin INSANE. We had a pretty intense match too - Jergen vs Luc. Some shots even changed direction when they hit the edge of the table and I somehow managed to get them. I'm trying to perfect some crazy spins that graze the net and drop early w/ Jergen...he's got some crazy accuracy.

pubba

Damn.. looks like us Jap 360 owners wont be getting any Table Tennis action for a while..
No news of a release date yet.. Asia loves table tennis, I would have thought MS would be really pushing this game in Japan at least..

Oh well at least I can play umm..n3 *cough*

pubba said:
Damn.. looks like us Jap 360 owners wont be getting any Table Tennis action for a while..
No news of a release date yet.. Asia loves table tennis, I would have thought MS would be really pushing this game in Japan at least..

That's completely idiotic. This should be available in all regions like yesterday, especially Asia. I've gone to the mat for you many a time Microsoft, but this is just boneheaded.

pubba said:

Terrible planning on R* and Microsoft part, what a better title to push 360's in Japan and other Asian countries where Ping Pong is hugely popular?

rage1973

Adding Forest Gump as unlockable character and adding doubles matches would be great for this game. Still this is the best sports game I have played on 360 so far.

Sports GOTY Gaf. Fuck Madden.

Loving every bit of this game but.....I kinda suck. Can someone please give me a good reason as to use the yellow colored spin (Y button spin) Its slow and it just seems to be useless(im sure its not). Anyone got some tips on how to use it effectively?

Flo_Evans

the game seems to use a 'counter' spin system.

i.e. if someone is drilling you with topspin, (green) you will get a better hit back if you use backspin. (yellow). Works the same with left and right. If you see a blue spin coming at you, you want to hit it with red to neutralize the spin. If you put enough backspin on it they will hit it into the net or out. Also if they are playing far back you can use it to place a nice drop shot just over the net.

maynerd

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
the game seems to use a 'counter' spin system.

i.e. if someone is drilling you with topspin, (green) you will get a better hit back if you use backspin. (yellow). Works the same with left and right. If you see a blue spin coming at you, you want to hit it with red to neutralize the spin. If you put enough backspin on it they will hit it into the net or out. Also if they are playing far back you can use it to place a nice drop shot just over the net.

You know I thought that was probably the case. The thing is when you do the training they talk about counterspin an the training has you MATCH the color of the spin coming at you. So I took that to mean I should match the spin on the return. But I do think that going opposite would have greater effect. I will try the opposite tonight.

neptunes

Me and Flo were playing last night, good stuff.

The "Focus" triggers are a god-send, not to be abused though (it may backfire)

edit:
anyone notice an occasional lag glitch online?
like someone would score after a long rally, but the players would
just stand there for like 20 seconds doing nothing.

I got the game today too. :)
Not played that much, but so far it is fucking great.
Everybody feel free to add me for some intense (hopefully I will become better soon ^^) online matches.

Lord Loui Luigi
Lord+Loui+Luigi.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Fell asleep w/ the controller in my had (again). Last thing I remember was going through the training portion and trying to figure out which control scheme I prefered (stick or buttons).

PhatSaqs

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Fell asleep w/ the controller in my had (again). Last thing I remember was going through the training portion and trying to figure out which control scheme I prefered (stick or buttons).
I'm tryin to decide whether to cop this or not. Keep it real and tell me what you think of it so far.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
PhatSaqs said:
I'm tryin to decide whether to cop this or not. Keep it real and tell me what you think of it so far.
Buy it. Everyone else is. It's SPREADING

TheDuce22

Banned
maynerd said:
You know I thought that was probably the case. The thing is when you do the training they talk about counterspin an the training has you MATCH the color of the spin coming at you. So I took that to mean I should match the spin on the return. But I do think that going opposite would have greater effect. I will try the opposite tonight.

I think when you match the color of the spin it makes the opponents next shot harder to aim and more likely to go off the table. At least thats what I noticed playing the computer.

rage1973 said:
Adding Forest Gump as unlockable character and adding doubles matches would be great for this game. Still this is the best sports game I have played on 360 so far.

I can't imagine how doubles would work. Do they use two tables? I mean Jesper is like 85 feet wide...

I'd rather they get CJ's voice talent in and add him to the game. There's already a Liberty City reference.

I've unlocked two new venues, both rad. (Here's a tip: end every Match [meaning the last point of the last game] with a soft shot. NEW DIGS!) The Pong Hall, which using Liu Ping unlocks, is, I swear to god, a Showcase Level the way The Incredibles is a showcase DVD. It is flat out gorgeous. Haley unlocks a Basement level, which is also cool, but not as. Also, both levels use Yellow Balls. FREAK OUT!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
PhatSaqs said:

Price is on point, graphics are insane, and from what I hear, the online aspect is when it really gets fun.

I'll drop more detailed impressions later when I've put in more time.

truffleshuffle83 said:
thats it GAF i cant take it anymore

im going to buy this game on my lunch

Do it homie.
we gotta get back on GRAW sometime, I need a fix bro lol :p

Also the net code for this game has been flawless for me. Not a single bit of lag and Ive played like 30 games online. I had no idea this game was gonna get his popular, GAF is the best form of (viral?) marketing ever.:lol

RuGalz

maynerd said:

All it comes down to is that if you spin in the same direction as the ball that's coming as, the result is a stronger spin of the original direction. (counter spin) Putting opposite spin on the ball neutralizes or decreases the spin you are trying to put on the ball. Thus the overall effect of your spin is less than it would be normally. When to use what spin really depends on where you want the ball go, although there are time when the backspin is real strong and your only good choice would be to send it back with backspin or a real powerful topspin, otherwise, you may hit the net.

aparisi2274

GuessWho said:
had the same problem, all you need to do is restart ur 360 download auto update and voila problem solved.

Hmmm... I did the DL when the system first came on, I said OK to it, and it DLed, but it never asked to reboot my machine... Anyway I did reboot my machine a few times, but it was still happening... is there anyway to reDL the update? Perhaps I did it wrong or something

GuessWho

aparisi2274 said:
Hmmm... I did the DL when the system first came on, I said OK to it, and it DLed, but it never asked to reboot my machine... Anyway I did reboot my machine a few times, but it was still happening... is there anyway to reDL the update? Perhaps I did it wrong or something

maybe your friend didn't get the update.

Finally got a rally over 100 hits last night online. And it was the first time I'd seen it go all dark and focus in on the players only. A friend watching went nuts when I lost after hit 144 :lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I picked mine up at Fry's today. There were quite a few copies there also. But the sales guy said they had been selling at a good rate.

AZ Greg

Damn this game. I bought Oblivion when it was released but decided to hold off on playing it until summer vacation (now) so I could concentrate on my last few weeks of school. So I started Oblivion on Wed. night and put about 5 straight hours in and was loving it. Then I read GAF and all the positive Table Tennis impressions and had to go pick it up. Now I don't see when I'll get back to Oblivion because Table Tennis is awesome. I guess it's a good problem to have. :)

trmas

Banned
Think I will pick this up with some reward zone points this weekend. At the very least, I should be able to have some fun playing online and against the wife and kids at home.

It sounds fun, but I've become addicted to Uno. How messed up is it that my $400 game machine is used half the time to play a simple game like Uno online.

Kingpen

Let me put it this way...

This game is so good, that I am convincing my wife right now that we need to remodel the 2nd living room and put a ping pong table in there STAT! I am so pumped to get a table and start playing in real life because of this game.

Not too many sports games that have the ability to do that to the gamer playing them...

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
All right... it's 29 at fry's... my resistance to GAF hype is now futile.

VALIS

After whining about being unable to beat Jesper last night, the first match after I signed off I beat him 11-7, 11-3. Which then led to the Egyptian guy, who's basically a Jesper clone. Which then led to the Irish chick Cassidy, who is AWESOME. I had the greatest battles with her for hours until I finally beat her. She's such a great player, but unlike Jesper who's just fast and strong, Cassidy is very well balanced. She can power a shot by you, spin a shot by you, she's fast, and unlike Jesper, accurate. Many of our points would go to 100+ rallies and most of our games would go to deuce.

Here's my strategies against them in the rookie tournament as Liu Ping:

Jesper: Always backspin to his backhand side. You put a shot on his forehand and you're probably dead. You put a non-backspin shot on his forehand and you're definitely dead. Just keep rallying with him and let him make the mistakes, and he will since he's inaccurate. Backspin to the backhand alone won't get it done, though. Back off the table! Take at least a step back off the table (better 2-3 if you can swing it) and keep rallying those backspins at his backhand.

Cassidy: Pretty much the opposite of Jesper. Play close to the table, and use your forward and side spins hard. Remember, Liu Ping is very accurate, so you can jam on that spin good without shooting it off the table. This is also why unless you're good at pressing two buttons at once, you should use the stick. You want to keep sending her to the corners - if she's on the left side of the table, send your next shot to the opposite corner with a forward-right spin. If she's on the right side, send her the other way with a forward-left spin. Other than that you just have to be good since she won't beat herself. She will return your smashes. She will return seemingly impossible shots placed in the corners. You just gotta keep at it.

Kimi, or is it Mika?: The Japanese girl. I firget her name. She's defintely a lot tougher in the rookie tourney than in the amateur one, where I dispatched her quickly. She's a spin machine. All her shots are gonna be wobbling and spinning at you like crazy... and I don't have a strategy for her since I haven't beaten her yet in the rookie tournament.

Here's a couple general strategies, too:

- Use your backspin as a "slow down" shot. If the other player has you running from side to side and they have the advantage, send a backspin at them. This will give you time to reposition yourself in the middle of the table, and also make it unlikely they send a hard shot back at you.

- Try to return smashes with a soft shot (left bumper, though I'm using control scheme B which swaps bumpers and triggers). If you return a smash with a normal or spin shot, it's likely you just set them up to smash it back at you.

- Take off the auto-focus!! The defualt is to have the auto-focus on, which just ends up wasting it at times you might not need it.

Maybe I'll do a FAQ for GameFAQs once I finish the game. Add your tips and strategies if you get 'em (and if I do a FAQ I'll credit you, of course).

VALIS said:
After whining about being unable to beat Jesper last night, the first match after I signed off I beat him 11-7, 11-3. Which then led to the Egyptian guy, who's basically a Jesper clone. Which then led to the Irish chick Cassidy, who is AWESOME. I had the greatest battles with her for hours until I finally beat her. She's such a great player, but unlike Jesper who's just fast and strong, Cassidy is very well balanced. She can power a shot by you, spin a shot by you, she's fast, and unlike Jesper, accurate. Many of our points would go to 100+ rallies and most of our games would go to deuce.

Here's my strategies against them in the rookie tournament as Liu Ping:

Jesper: Always backspin to his backhand side. You put a shot on his forehand and you're probably dead. You put a non-backspin shot on his forehand and you're definitely dead. Just keep rallying with him and let him make the mistakes, and he will since he's inaccurate. Backspin to the backhand alone won't get it done, though. Back off the table! Take at least a step back off the table (better 2-3 if you can swing it) and keep rallying those backspins at his backhand.

Cassidy: Pretty much the opposite of Jesper. Play close to the table, and use your forward and side spins hard. Remember, Liu Ping is very accurate, so you can jam on that spin good without shooting it off the table. This is also why unless you're good at pressing two buttons at once, you should use the stick. You want to keep sending her to the corners - if she's on the left side of the table, send your next shot to the opposite corner with a forward-right spin. If she's on the right side, send her the other way with a forward-left spin. Other than that you just have to be good since she won't beat herself. She will return your smashes. She will return seemingly impossible shots placed in the corners. You just gotta keep at it.

Kimi, or is it Mika?: The Japanese girl. I firget her name. She's defintely a lot tougher in the rookie tourney than in the amateur one, where I dispatched her quickly. She's a spin machine. All her shots are gonna be wobbling and spinning at you like crazy... and I don't have a strategy for her since I haven't beaten her yet in the rookie tournament.

Here's a couple general strategies, too:

- Use your backspin as a "slow down" shot. If the other player has you running from side to side and they have the advantage, send a backspin at them. This will give you time to reposition yourself in the middle of the table, and also make it unlikely they send a hard shot back at you.

- Try to return smashes with a soft shot (left bumper, though I'm using control scheme B which swaps bumpers and triggers). If you return a smash with a normal or spin shot, it's likely you just set them up to smash it back at you.

- Take off the auto-focus!! The defualt is to have the auto-focus on, which just ends up wasting it at times you might not need it.

Maybe I'll do a FAQ for GameFAQs once I finish the game. Add your tips and strategies if you get 'em (and if I do a FAQ I'll credit you, of course).

Great post man. Returning a smash with a drop shot is something I never thought of. Oh yeah, trust me GAF, you want to use the analog sticks for your shots. Force yourself to learn it. You have way more options for your shot selection.

EDIT: Good tip about the Auto Focus bit. I was wondering why my focus was completly drained at times when I thought I wasnt using it.

So I watched the Not The 1up Show EGM Review of Table Tennis and it was nice to see, behind the scenes, where all these review scores are coming from.

Because, let's be honest, online and off, this a 9.0 game. I cannot be the only person with a burning desire to win every tournament with every character, can I? Isn't a game that offers 11 completely different ways to play and master it a full-featured title with incredible longevity?

It seems like such a no-brainer to me. It's going to take me forever to unlock all the offline stuff and beat every tournament with every character. "You're done with this game in two hours."?? Seriously?

Is everyone but me that passive and bored by Single Player or is it just Gaming Journalism that is?

Inquiring minds, etc.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is a short term experience. I'll be going nuts until I get everything! And even after that's done, I'll probably still be hooked.

Klocker

ok a little help

just had an online session with a buddy (also a noob) My play with the stick included much suckage, with the buttons, definitely less suckage.

Is it worth it to suffer through the stick curve to get even better or can you be just as good with the buttons?

thx

Kingpen

LOL we got a nice ass table tennis table today for 200 bucks (orginally 300). My wife and I love it! Been playing it all day.

This damn TT game on 360 just might be GOTY for me (what an unexpected surprise)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Klocker said:
ok a little help

just had an online session with a buddy (also a noob) My play with the stick included much suckage, with the buttons, definitely less suckage.

Is it worth it to suffer through the stick curve to get even better or can you be just as good with the buttons?

thx

Well, since you can combine back/topspins with left/right spins I suggest you give the stick a good try cos those drills are easier to pull off with a diagonal stick movement rather than by pressing two buttons simultaneously. Think about doing a backspin+rightspin for example. It's Y+B versus down-right with the stick.

It does need practice tho.

Klocker

TTP said:
Well, since you can combine back/topspins with left/right spins I suggest you give the stick a good try cos those drills are easier to pull off with a diagonal stick movement rather than by pressing two buttons simultaneously. Think about doing a backspin+rightspin for example. It's Y+B versus down-right with the stick.

It does need practice tho.

cool thanks TTP

Norse

Dsal said:
All right... it's 29 at fry's... my resistance to GAF hype is now futile.

LOL...I just got back from frys with my 2995 copy =)

the stock of table tennis is getting low..had to have them grab me one from area they store the games at..the pile in there was small. The spot on shelf was empty so he refilled it then.

Oh, and I think the x360 shortages are now officially over...this frys has hardly ever hadd a x360 in stock and tonight they had two pallets of them.

Warm Machine said:
Just picked it up. So far it is damn cool. The surround sound is awesome especially when cranked.

OMFG yes. The 5.1 is spectacular.

- Heard someone sneeze the other day.
- Was convinced that the cleaning lady was at my house because of the fidelity of the background discussion in the back speakers.

Seriously, best crowd sound in gaming history.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
this game should come with each 360, everyone deserves to play this damn game...

I have a ping pong table downstairs in my basement and my boys and I have been having battles for years now, this game is just going to further our table tennis desire...

GG's FMT!

GhaleonEB

Penny-Arcade chimes in:

Tycho said:
There are those in this office (Gabe) who believe that Rockstar's Table Tennis represents the best multiplayer offering on the 360, and while I have my own favorites - mostly from Live Arcade - there is a cogent argument to be made for this odd creature.

The game has the same usage pattern as a fighter does, in my opinion, and this may help you know if your forty dollars will be a good investment. What I mean by that is that the single player doesn't represent a terrific amount of content, and by its lonesome doesn't represent a real value proposition - you play it so that you can amass new unlocks for multiplayer, which we might describe as "the main course." So if you don't see yourself playing it online, with friends, or with friends online, then just like a Tekken or a Virtua Fighter it's probably going to sit there on the shelf, spine out, looking forlorn.

The fighter model we're using to describe it holds for the gameplay, as well - a tranquil accessibility floating over boiling precision warfare. No less than four times over the course of our playing the Guilty Gear series did we realize that we had been playing it entirely wrong, that there was a game of greater subtlety beneath the grotesque and demonstrative exhibitions. You'll find the same richness in the gameplay progression here, provided (as I said before) you're in a position to get the most out of it.

Sounds like he likes it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Warm Machine said:
Just picked it up. So far it is damn cool. The surround sound is awesome especially when cranked.
Yeah, this game, more than any other, makes me want to play with the volume cranked. The sound is just awesome. I love when you smash the ball, and after it's done bouncing, you can sometimes hear it roll from left to right in the rear speakers. And the random crowd noises are just great. Plus, the music is excellent. I love how you can choose the recreational venus that have music playing the whole time.

To be honest, though, I don't dig the online play as much as I thought I would. It just feels a little bit different to me; a bit slower, more floaty.

That doesn't take too much away from the game for me, as I wasn't planning on playing it online very much anyways. Unlocking everything (or mostly everything) will certainly take a bit of time, so that's what I'll probably focus on for now. Still, I'd definitely say this is in the top five best 360 games right now; maybe even top three.

Top Bottom