• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Table Tennis" (Xbox 360) Thread

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
truffleshuffle83 said:
ORLY??? 11-0 :lol jk man good games truelize and DCB

That is much better. :lol

But I'm confused how Jesper has the worst stats of any of the available players but he's the hardest to beat. How does that make sense?? So spin, serve and accuracy don't mean anything in this game?? Power wins all?

Newduck

Fantastic game, its gonna get hugely overlooked, partly because its hard to take a table tennis game seriously, especially one that does tend to take itself so seriously too.

My housemates mocked the game and me for getting it when i brought it home, but we've played over 4 hours since yesterday, it does what it sets out to do brilliantly, best game of its kind since virtual tennis i think, possibly even better the VT. Lack of four player hurts it slightly though.

The game can be incredibly frustrating, but still manages to be really rewarding, and different characters really do play significantly differently. Its got the best implementation of rumble i've seen in a game for years, and while i'm sure it could work without it it would suffer for it.

It seems so simple at first but i'm starting to think its pretty deep, i'm almost too reliant on the rumble now though and get hugely annoyed by shots that hit the net or go out without warning. The game gives you so much control and quite alot of visual aids to display exactly what is going on, and when the game goes abit lax (ala the net shots) it feels cheap even though it shouldn't due to the significance of stuff like the rumble.

The only things i wish it had was a more lighter tone, possibly joke costumes or arenas but i'm hoping for those on marketplace. I find most of the characters quite amusing but i dont get the impression alot was intentional. A few VT ish minigames would have gone down well too, despite the lack of modes i wouldnt have been at all annoyed paying full price for the game, but its a deal at a budget price (not much of a budget though, same price as retail PS2 games in UK).

Rockstar have actually come and created one of the most simple to pick up and play arcade style games in ages, and despite it being easily last gen in its execution something about the game overall just feels perfect being on 360 also.

I'm abit confused on the differences in characters, Pings stats look superior to Haleys completely yet she still seems to be a pretty good character and despite pings high stats he doesnt seem great overall. The stats seem abit iffy overall, spin and control seem important, but serve really doesnt seem to have much of an impact, even less so then other games of its type.

I havent seen how the player balance works online yet, but offline Jesper gave me alot of trouble till i started to move further away from the table and use soft shots, i imagine real players will quickly find ways around those tricks those, his shots just seem stupidly strong and his lack of control doesnt seem to hurt him much at all. I've mostly delt with the AI so far just by waiting for them to hit something out, i'm pretty poor at making an opening. Playing against Luc also made me hit the net constantly which no other character seemed to do, i'm not really sure how to counter that that well.

I'm currently using the buttons, i dont see the stick superiority yet and i'm hitting two button shots fine, aswell as soft shots, consistantly hitting the right strength,type and direction of shot using both sticks seems beyond me at this point, and i dunno if i'd even benefit from it if i'm having no trouble with the button control scheme.

My only worry is that once i move out of my (student filled) house over the summer my multiplayer options will get alot smaller, since i'm not a huge fan of playing on Live and will suck alot of the fun out of the game especially since playing against the AI can get super frustrating very fast. I hate saying the cliche that this is a party game, especially with a game thats gameplay is actually so well structured as this, but it really is despite the lack of 4 player a pretty perfect "party" game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Hayami said:
Jesper is worse than the entire fucking Nazi army in COD2.

Yeah pretty much. I am amazed that his horrible accurcay rating doesn't seem to hurt him. The only way I've found to beat him (I've only won 1 out of 3 games so far) is to serve really soft and short on the right side and half the time he just returns it out of bounds. And then every shot has to be incredibly slow and short.

Ok guys, my love for this game and its music has gone too far. Below is the names and links to all the songs that I could find on iTunes. Not a lot as you can tell so I hope Rockstar releases a soundtrack.

Blu Mar Ten "Coloratura"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=40719052&s=143441&i=40719034

Blu Mar Ten "Trauma"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=40719052&s=143441&i=40719032

Alex Smoke "Chica Wappa (Mejor Edit)"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=96752840&s=143441&i=96752413

Alex Smoke "Lost In Sound"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=96752840&s=143441&i=96751625

A:XUS "My Planet Rocks"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2823549&s=143441&i=2823447

A:XUS "Pluto"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2823549&s=143441&i=2823474

A:XUS "Synchronicity"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2823549&s=143441&i=2823455

Envoy "Intervals"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=96745180&s=143441&i=96744388

T-Quest "Deadline"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=83056366&s=143441&i=83056354

Vector Lovers "Substrata"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=83067417&s=143441&i=83067395

Artist below featured in the game, but not this particular song. But I liked the 30 second sample.

D'Malicious "Dark Transition"
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=15241506&s=143441&i=15241478

TheDuce22

Banned
Jesper is easy if you use Kumi and put insane backspin on every shot... but then you get to Liu Ping and he owns you by maxing his focus meter every 2 shots.

sharukins

Banned
try this against Jesper. stay ALL the time infront of the MIDDLE of the table and just use Y, when the ball is going in the air high and you get knocked back (before Jesper goes for the SMash), STAY BACK!!! and keep using Y against Jesper as soon as he hits the shot but KEEP to the middle of the table!!!!, you can win against Jesper 11-3 or 11-5 easily

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Warm Machine said:
Anyone else notice that the players are actually subltly and blurrily reflected on the surface of the table?

Really? Wow gotta check it out.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
holy fuck dude... talk about lost weekend. bought this game yesterday, and after a night of frustration with it, it finally clicks with me just a few hours ago and now i just beat jesper and i'm playing cassidy. brilliant control system, awesome use of rumble, and i've only had a couple of times where the focus shot slow-mo fucked me over (so i haven't turned it off yet -- makes for good dramatic moments).

anyway, cassidy is hard, but not nearly as annoying as jesper. when i lose to cassidy, i don't fucking want to commit genocide on videogames.

i haven't played online since my eureka moment so i don't know how i'd do now.

the graphics in this game give me wood. i'm a sucker for ultra-realism and this game has it in spades. i love the no-frills backgrounds, natural lighting, and CG quality character models. sure, we spend plenty of time in the uncanny valley, but this game has loads of subtle animation and facial expressions during gameplay. fucking looks amazing.

good to know that rockstar isn't a one-hit wonder like they were back in 2001 or 2002.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I absolutely love this game. Both online and off, this game is easily one of my favorites. One thing I have noticed is that the game is somewhat like a fighting game. Each character has their strengths and weaknesses, and when playing agaisnt a human opponent, you have to be prepared to play mind games.

DenogginizerOS said:
I absolutely love this game. Both online and off, this game is easily one of my favorites. One thing I have noticed is that the game is somewhat like a fighting game. Each character has their strengths and weaknesses, and when playing agaisnt a human opponent, you have to be prepared to play mind games.

100%. Nothing beats a good Left-Right-Left-Right-RIGHT HAHA! on the way to victory.

Now that I've locked down the combo spin, this game is even better, which I had not previously thought possible.

i've just buyed a 360 with doa4..
i'm really interested in table tennis and nba 2k6..
if you have to choose between one of them wich will it be?

i've heard that table tennis have a bad single player, but a huge multiplayer (especially on live of course) and that nba 2k6 is solid on each side...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Manuel_Calavera said:

i've heard that table tennis have a bad single player, but a huge multiplayer (especially on live of course) and that nba 2k6 is solid on each side...

I'm quite enjoying the single-player actually. With the focus shot slow motion it almost has a different pace to the non-stop online game. You feel like you're charging and building up more power with each of your focus hits. Barring some really cheap AI opponents, the single player is super addictive.

Sell your copy of DOA4 now.

Kingpen

Manuel_Calavera said:

Keep DOA4... go with Table Tennis since it is brand new and a bunch of us mofos are playing it now. The online community is better for that now. Just watch NBA on TV to get your fix there, and buy NBA2k7 in 5 months (looks fabulous)

don't buy NBA 2k6 if you plan on playing online with it. it's a cheese fest at this point (as all sports games are 6+ months after their initial release). go with table tennis, the game of champions

thorns

Banned
got the game now.. it's a blast so far! finished the amateur tournament.
so what are the top tier characters so far? or are they overall well balanced?
i've been playing with liu ping, seems like a well balanced character.

ant1532

Banned
tried renting this at blockbuster last night but they only had one copy and it was gone... I might try another one tonight though, sounds like an awesome rent.

ekips

First kudos to whomever shared the key Jesper insight...

I'm actually currently stuck on how to be Liu in Rookie tournament.
help please.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
man that would be awesome if jesper was in GTA. i would murder the fuck out of that asshole

:lol Oh I would love that. Run him over and continue to back up over him again and again.

ekips

truffleshuffle83 said:
i got jesper under control now, but solyman is fuckin me up...his backhand is ridiculously powerful...think jespers forehand on speed

For Solyman you do the reverse of Jesper. . .line your front foot up with the shadow of the table .. and give him a heavy unfailing helping of down-left on the joystick , with full topspin (up on the right joystick or green button) .... and you should rack up your meeting .. (trigger up at every opportunity) and you should make quick work of him.

jedimike

Ramirez said:
Got this yesterday,pretty fun,how's the lag online?

tightest netcode I have ever seen... for such a fast paced game, there is no lag at all. I think a lot of has to do with the way the game syncs. Serves take a while sometimes, and
I assume the game is syncing packets or something because the gameplay is always tight. On one occasion, the animation of my opponent skipped (it appeared that he didn't return a shot) but the ball came back to me. I assumed this happened as a compensation technique.

i have seen inconsequential lag once in a GREAT while, but for the most part the game is incredibly smooth online.

p.s. for those who dont know, the game does keep track of you non-ranked exhibition games. it is in your player problem under extras (i think)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I just got done playing my first online game, I won. Handling Jesper is to make him one-dimensional. Keep him on your right side, but his right hand is deadly. He'll crush the ball everytime.

thorns

Banned
Are there any left handed players in the game? I'm left handed, and remember when I was playing table tennis it was causing problems for the opposition since they weren't used to it.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I've been playing this game with all my free time this weekend.
And yes I hate Jesper.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just beat Liu Ping on Hard difficulty yesterday. Took me several attempts over 2-3 hours. You guys think Jesper is bad....

Oryan

I'm having trouble with Juergon on the All-Star difficulty, he kepps returning my "left spin ace". Any tips for him? I'm just playing exhibitions right now to unlock the 10hr offline achievement.

I got all the outfits and levels and junk... just need to beat Allstar :(

-Oryan

Drey1082

Oryan said:
I'm having trouble with Juergon on the All-Star difficulty, he kepps returning my "left spin ace". Any tips for him? I'm just playing exhibitions right now to unlock the 10hr offline achievement.

I got all the outfits and levels and junk... just need to beat Allstar :(

-Oryan

I've been getting killed by Juergen repeatedly on hard.

Jesper was nothing compared to this guy.

Talk about frusterating.

Any tips?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Jesus I just had a rally against some random dude online that was over 350 :eek: I lost the ranked match cause my hand went dead after that :( It was totally insane.

My highest rally before that was in the 100's against Fifty.

Mrbob

FUCK. JESPER.

Ugh. I just lost 12-10 11-13 and 14-16 to that piece of shit! He better be in GTA4. I want to run him over AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I wouldn't be so mad if he didn't get about 10 points where the damn ball hits the edge of the table and goes out where there is nothing I can do!

I decided to pull a SFII move and use the player that was killing me to avoid playing him. So I pick Jesper and destroy everyone in the tourney until I get to Juergen.

Now I hate my life.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/06/01/pong.review/index.html

Rockstar Games, the same company that introduced wanton violence and degradation to the video game world through its Grand Theft Auto series, has brought the industry full circle through its new Xbox 360 title, Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis ($40).

That's right. Table Tennis. Or Ping-Pong, if you prefer.

At this point you might ask why anyone would want to play a Ping-Pong video game when there are so many other options to waste your precious geek time on. Why hit a little white ball back and forth across the screen mindlessly when you can throw 60-yard spirals with Michael Vick in Madden, hunt down terrorists in the latest Tom Clancy manifestation or, of course, drive around San Andreas with a fully-loaded semi-automatic?

That's a good question but, before you proceed any further with your skepticism, consider that the progenitor of all video games was little more than an eponymous Ping-Pong game.

Essentially, Rockstar's barebones take on pingpong doesn't involve that much more than the original. Therein lies the beauty of this title -- it's just Ping-Pong. You won't feel as though you have to waste time on fancy create-a-character game modes or take two hours to decide what colors and logos you want on your paddle. You just boot up the game, pick a character and play. Old-school gaming doesn't get much better than this, especially if you are sick of having to figure out what all of the buttons, triggers and joysticks do on these newfangled controllers every time you buy a new game.

As simple as the concept is, the game itself is quite difficult. The result of any given match often depends on the matchups; veterans of Street Fighter 2 can attest to how much depth and subtlety this can add to a game. Each of the characters have their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, the Swedish player, Jesper, is all power and no serve. Hit a popup to him and he'll smash it to pieces. But if you pick a finesse player like Juergen the German and put enough sidespin or backspin (or both) on your serve, Jesper is likely to hit it out of bounds and give you an easy point.

Just when you think you have a particular character or style of play down pat, you come across an opponent who munches on you Blanka-style. Get beat down enough times and you'll remember what Master Kan told Caine in Kung Fu: "It may take half a lifetime to master one system."

The different characters provide texture, but that alone wouldn't be enough to make for compelling game. That's why Rockstar added an ingenious bit of strategy -- the Focus Meter. The more spin shots you execute correctly, the more your Focus Meter fills up. You can then use this pent-up juice during a key moment in the rally to deliver a crushingly effective shot that, if played correctly, will result in a point. Even so, rallies often go on for 40, 50 or even 60 furious shots at a time. (Just a warning for the visually impaired: Your contact lenses will fog up at about the 45-shot mark.)

Put it all together and you get an experience so manic and engrossing that it's almost too much to take. Indeed, after a couple of hours you may want to transition to something less stressful, like Ghost Recon 2: Advanced Warrior.

Drey1082

ZootedGranny said:
I decided to pull a SFII move and use the player that was killing me to avoid playing him. So I pick Jesper and destroy everyone in the tourney until I get to Juergen.

Now I hate my life.

Same here, I think I've won one single game out of 50 attempts.

Top Bottom