• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Table Tennis" (Xbox 360) Thread

ekips

TTP said:
Well, since you can combine back/topspins with left/right spins I suggest you give the stick a good try cos those drills are easier to pull off with a diagonal stick movement rather than by pressing two buttons simultaneously. Think about doing a backspin+rightspin for example. It's Y+B versus down-right with the stick.

It does need practice tho.

I am an ex-buttoner converting to stick. . .I recommend you make the painful switch as early as possible because:

1. the yellw and green and up and down on the joystick are reversed.
2. the diagonal reasons above... especially the (yellow-red spin) you can just tell the stick people online by some of the diagonal shots with spin they pull off.
3. the timing feels just a little different.. especially for the backspin slam block

senahorse

I find it amusing that a couple of months ago loads of people were laughing and saying what a joke this game is, now it turns out to be one of the best games currently available. :lol

x3n05 said:
I find it amusing that a couple of months ago loads of people were laughing and saying what a joke this game is, now it turns out to be one of the best games currently available. :lol

No suprise to me. This is exactly what gaming needs. New games not tired franchises. Fun games that make you remember why you like games. All in an era where we have a 7 page thread on what the future of a game with more than 10 sequels to its name means for the future of console domination.

Infinite simplicity and infinite depth. That is what ALL great games have.

i just want to say fuck jesper.....just wait till i get off work and can get home to whoop your ass

you know, i bet this started out as a joke within rockstar like...lets make the stupidest possible game and see how many copies we can sell :lol

Kingpen said:
LOL we got a nice ass table tennis table today for 200 bucks (orginally 300). My wife and I love it! Been playing it all day.

This damn TT game on 360 just might be GOTY for me (what an unexpected surprise)

damn kingpen, you need to learn self control :lol freakin bought a table after byong the game. get to beer pong stat

pilonv1

TTP said:
Well, since you can combine back/topspins with left/right spins I suggest you give the stick a good try cos those drills are easier to pull off with a diagonal stick movement rather than by pressing two buttons simultaneously. Think about doing a backspin+rightspin for example. It's Y+B versus down-right with the stick.

It does need practice tho.

After starting off with the stick I cannot imagine ever using the buttons. There's just so much more precision with it and its easier to use. This is such a great game.

Kingpen

shit I couldn't help it. This game just had a weird effect on me. My wife gets mad though when I try to hold the racket like Liu Ping and then throw the backspin on the ball.

And I was planning on sticking with Top Spin 2 instead of this as well. TT is a much better game.

On thing about real life vs. the game, those ping pong balls that are pure white sure get dirty and marked up by the rackets.

That's alright King, I'm about to buy a Killerspin hat.

OKAY, I need some serious help. I am getting demolished in every single game I play online. And every time it's the sides. Is it because my poor returns are giving my opponents the ability to set up shots further from the center? Am I not moving fast enough (don't know who would be faster than Juergen at this point).

I'd really love to win AN online match at some point, so any general tips would really be appreciated.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
BenjaminBirdie said:
OKAY, I need some serious help. I am getting demolished in every single game I play online. And every time it's the sides. Is it because my poor returns are giving my opponents the ability to set up shots further from the center? Am I not moving fast enough (don't know who would be faster than Juergen at this point).
Are you trying to use counterspin online? If so, don't bother. I'm pretty sure it only has a significant effect when playing the CPU. When playing against a real person, you need to input your commands as fast as possible - like, the second if leaves their racket, if not before - you don't have time to see what type of spin they're using. A lot of it relies on predicting what they're going to do. If you tell your guy what to do ASAP, it'll do the movement for you automatically (at least, 95% of the time). Playing this way, I find myself almost never moving around manually, and I rarely seem to get in the position where I have shots coming at me out of my reach.

Also, what's with the leaderboards in this game? They're either borked, or I just don't get how they work. I can only seem to see people's records when they're online (sort of like with some XBLA games).

vatstep said:
Are you trying to use counterspin online? If so, don't bother. I'm pretty sure it only has a significant effect when playing the CPU. When playing against a real person, you need to input your commands as fast as possible - like, the second if leaves their racket, if not before - you don't have time to see what type of spin they're using. A lot of it relies on predicting what they're going to do. If you tell your guy what to do ASAP, it'll do the movement for you automatically (at least, 95% of the time). Playing this way, I find myself almost never moving around manually, and I rarely seem to get in the position where I have shots coming at me out of my reach.

Also, what's with the leaderboards in this game? They're either borked, or I just don't get how they work. I can only seem to see people's records when they're online (sort of like with some XBLA games).

Thanks, dude! I just lost another one but played a much better game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Alright I rented this game to see what all the love is about. :(

I'm ready to eat my words.

If you see me online invite me to a game (after a couple of hours of me practicing of course)

Lets.
Get.
It....

On.

This game is pure elegance in game play and presentation. Everything a sports game should be and probably the most concise sports game since Virtua Tennis.

Bog

Junior Ace
T-Bwone already ended up breaking a 360 controller because of this game. I guess the doorbell rang in the middle of a match, so instead of pausing and limping over to the door (he broke his foot last week, as you know), he just got fed up and threw the controller against the floor.

FightyF

Banned
Kingpen said:
LOL we got a nice ass table tennis table today for 200 bucks (orginally 300). My wife and I love it! Been playing it all day.

This damn TT game on 360 just might be GOTY for me (what an unexpected surprise)

Haha, nice!

FightyF

Banned
Is this a good 2-player local (same 360) game? Is there a camera advantage for one or the other?

Secondly, can I network it locally (2-360s)?

It all depends on local multiplayer...if it's like Virtua Tennis addictive for local multiplayer, I'll pick 'er up fo' sho'!

KiNeSiS

Banned
Damn you GAF!
I just ordered Table Tennis, Burnout Revenge 360
also Splinter Cell- Chaos Theory to many good deals to pass up.

Anyway add me KillaCorleone33 I'll get my quick practice on when it gets her most likely tuesday then I'll crush all opposition under my fist!

Thanks for the tip to go back to the stick above - I was worred there wasn't any real "chopping" in game, but if you swing the stick down than to a side, you'll chop it :D Love it. Used to be a guy in the table tennis club I used to go to that used to play really hard hitters / spinners and constantly chop it back. Used to piss them off, he'd just wait for them to mess up :D

FightyF

Banned
I was really burnt harshly by my last unresearched purchase...Polyphony Digital's peice of shite on a stick made of shite Tourist Trophy.

This better be good! *shakes fist*

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I got this yesterday, its good, big virtua tennis vibe, its the same kinda 'simple to pick up, difficult to master' vibe, it has the same frustrating moments where things dont work exactly the way you would like.

Great little title though.

Fuck Jesper, god damn evil swede i hate him with a passion.

Fifty

I really like the game, but dammit I'm getting my ass handed to me. Earlier today I was playing the rookie tournament (the 2nd easiest one) and I got to the final opponent, Carmen, and I just couldn't do it. I must have restarted 20 times. So frustrating...Even when I'd get ahead by, say, 6-2, she'd manage to come back. Despite my frustrations, I think the mark of a great game is one that gets you coming back 19 times after losing rather than just giving up.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Fifty said:
I really like the game, but dammit I'm getting my ass handed to me. Earlier today I was playing the rookie tournament (the 2nd easiest one) and I got to the final opponent, Carmen, and I just couldn't do it. I must have restarted 20 times. So frustrating...Even when I'd get ahead by, say, 6-2, she'd manage to come back. Despite my frustrations, I think the mark of a great game is one that gets you coming back 19 times after losing rather than just giving up.

I've come to the conclusion that Carmen is, quite simply, a bitch.

Yeah, Carmen is the Alpha 152 of table tennis. She is beatable. Took me 3 or 4 matches to beat her. You must be able to up your meter in comparison to hers, otherwise she'll rip 6 or 7 points in a row on you and it's difficult to come back.

senahorse

Ok I am confused.

Apparently if you amass 25 wins against the CPU you unlock a new character(Kumi).

I have 26 wins but no unlock, any ides?

Mr. Tarkanian: [ primal scream ] I am a STRONG man!! ANYONE in this office, take a RUN AT ME!!

and by "in this office" i mean GAF! no one is man enough to beat me here

ascully

sharukins said:
Is it possible for the level of power , spin etc be increased of a player? or is it constant

You charge your shot by holding the buttons to hit the shot harder, charging also increases your focus bar.

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:
Mr. Tarkanian: [ primal scream ] I am a STRONG man!! ANYONE in this office, take a RUN AT ME!!

and by "in this office" i mean GAF! no one is man enough to beat me here

I hope your girlfriend stole your controller, FMT...Because that's the only excuse for just now losing in straight sets:

11-0 and 11-0

Fifty

thorns said:
This game might actually be GOTY :p

Obviously it isn't, but damn...when you have the rare occasion of a 125+ hit rally going on, there's nothing that can top it in terms of intensity and a rewarding experience when it's finally over. After a bunch of 10 hit rallies, the game is nothing to write home about, but it's during the epic rallies that it becomes great.

Fifty said:
Obviously it isn't, but damn...when you have the rare occasion of a 125+ hit rally going on, there's nothing that can top it in terms of intensity and a rewarding experience when it's finally over. After a bunch of 10 hit rallies, the game is nothing to write home about, but it's during the epic rallies that it becomes great.

I don't know, I think I well conceived two or three hit stragegic whomping is just as satisfying, especially in the closing points of a game or, better yet, the whole match. ("THAT'S RIGHT, you KNOW you ain't returning that serve!") And whilst it might not fit the common requirements of GOTY it will undoubtedly be GMPIMMFXB360 2006. And that's the only award that matters.

(Game Most Played In My Mother Fucking XBox 360, BTW)

Also, I improved by leaps and bounds online by combining Vat's advice about quick returns with a return to the buttons and a constant A/B or A/Y combo. I actually started beating people. The probalem was I got into this backspin mode in my head after spending so much time against Jesper and that robbed me of all the power in my side shots. Going back to topspin saved my life.

I was playing through the tournaments and was undefeated having won 6 or 7 straight; then I played Jesper.....JESPER!!!!!!!!
I then proceeded to lose 10 in a row until I figured him out. Damn Swedes. Think they're so sexy.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I HATE Luc. Screw him. I have never beaten him yet. And I'm playing on easy. :(

Why must I be so bad at this game?? Why? *sob*

jedimike

For those of you playing with the sticks... how do you preload your shot? When I play with the sticks, I return the ball better (better defense), but my offensive shots lack the preload.

Also, I don't see how this game could be done with the DS3's. The rumble is such a crucial feature. I'm always riding the line between just fair and out.

fartblast

Banned
so this game is really that good? it just seems like something everyone is gushing over because there ain't shit coming out for another 2-3 months

jedimike

fartblast said:
so this game is really that good? it just seems like something everyone is gushing over because there ain't shit coming out for another 2-3 months

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a bit more for my $40. Create-a-character, a better career mode, etc. But when you look at the core of the game, it's rock solid. It appeals to your gaming senses on several levels. You have to outwit your opponent as much as you have to outplay them. and one the biggest things is that there are no exploits (so far). Top Spin was also fun, but was easily exploitable, so online play quickly became crap.

fartblast said:

What are you waiting for? God himself to come down and say "that table tennis, its a decent game". When everyone says its a great game they are not doing it to wind you up and they actually might think it.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
fartblast said:

It's a pretty good game offline. It's a great game online. I was hating on this game on page 1 and 2 but I've eaten my words.

Oh and now that I know how to use the focus shots I'm doing much better. Thanks FMT.

Top Bottom