• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Table Tennis" (Xbox 360) Thread

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
After playing some of Top Spin 2's career mode,I'm actually glad this game is more about playing online and against friends.

I'd rather play a human opponent in these types of games,but thats just me.

Reznor said:
Such a low score, but such a extremely POSITIVE sounding review...

Their reasoning:

If we just reviewed the actual gameplay mechanics and that's it, this game would have received a higher score. But as a single-player game, it's underwhelming. As a whole package, it's disappointing. There are no extras here. There is no career mode, no mini-games, no doubles games (and we understand why). As a game design it's clearly simple and lean, and while that was the point, you can finish this game in a mere two hours. It's just too short and lean for our tastes.

Odysseus

Banned
It's going to be so cool next week when the next "What are you playing now?" thread pops up, and absolutely nobody lists Table Tennis.

The shelf life for games on GAF + the absolutely boring concept of ping pong in video game form = you people will probably be tired of it after staring at the box art on the ride home from the store.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm really wondering exactly what "tournament" mode entails. I was hoping that there would be like, different tournaments you could clear, similar to a career mode, but it doesn't seem that way. Seems like exhibition and tournament are exactly the same offline as they are online. Oh well.. that really is pretty barebones.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Odysseus said:
The shelf life for games on GAF + the absolutely boring concept of ping pong in video game form = you people will probably be tired of it after staring at the box art on the ride home from the store.

:lol

Here Be Dragons

Amused_To_Death said:
Their reasoning:

BUt IMO that applies to any fighting game. It's the competition (in this case ONLINE) that will make or break this one. And the lower price has my $$.

If I'm wrong, I'll definitely fess up to it.

Reave

I don't get it, Table Tennis gets a bad rap because of it's simplicity of modes and gameplay, but everyone in the media gushes over the Wii Sports game's simplistic gameplay and modes.

I was just thinking this morning about how much of a tard I am for being so giddy(is that a word?) over wanting this game. Forget Halo 3, Lost Planet etc. Give me some ping pong!

kinda what I figured it would be...great gameplay, but a lack of proper features. Then again, the EA Sports games had a lack of features, and they were still $59.99...(oh yeah I went there! lol)

But seriously, I'm still gonna get the game. I'm in the mood for a pick up and play game that's focused on competition. The fighting game comparison someone made above makes sense to me.

Bluecondor

Reznor said:
I don't get it, Table Tennis gets a bad rap because of it's simplicity of modes and gameplay, but everyone in the media gushes over the Wii Sports game's simplistic gameplay and modes.

Ya - but to be fair - you can do things like play a rudimentary game of doubles tennis - using physical movements that are similar to what you do when playing the actual sport. The Wii Sports baseball game claims that you will make a motion similar to swinging a bat in order to hit. If this is done well, this is a huge innovation for sports gaming fans. I would love to be able to practice my actual swing mechanics while playing a video game.

The better example is Wii Madden. People are all up in arms because it looks like the last-gen PS2/XBox versions. Meanwhile, they have changed the entire control system to work with the Wii controller. I fam really looking forward to throwing passes using an actual throwing motion like I would use to throw a real football when playing this game.

Anyway - Rockstar's Table Tennis game does not offer anything comparable in terms of duplicating the types of physical skills one must use to play the actual game. You can't say the same about the various Wii sports games.

Captain N

Thanks for taunting me..I'm gonna go ahead and cancel my preorder on this game thanks to the wonderful red lights we all love.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
IGN's review sounds like it's perfect, then they give it a 7.8... WTF? Your text and your score don't match IGN...

And this game is like any fighter - it's all about the online play, not playing by yourself... the 360 is about playing online in case they forgot...

With a price tag so low, with such great graphics and SOLID gameplay, there's no way this game should get an "IGN 7.8"... no friggin' way...

Rockstar nailedthis one perfectly I think...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Too bad that they didn't flesh out the single-player mode. Adding a career mode or some kind of "season" would have been cool. Some crazy, over the top final in a 100k seat arena would have been cool. As much as I like Live, I rarely play online because of the knuckleheads out there. So single player modes are very important to me. Guess I will just get Top Spin 2.

dskillzhtown said:
As much as I like Live, I rarely play online because of the knuckleheads out there. So single player modes are very important to me. Guess I will just get Top Spin 2.

Grab the GAF Gamertag thread, add away and only play with folks you know. It completely fixes the LIVE experience.

thorns

Banned
So is SF2 bad because you can finish the game in 20 minutes? I don't get it.. It's all about playing vs. other people! I fucking hate game reviewers sometimes.. The whole point of the game is the core mechanics.. The core mechanics are very good but let's give the game a low score because it doesn't have a useless career mode that noone will care about!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
IGN Review

IGN said:
Closing Comments

Rockstar has made its point. Table Tennis is a lean, straight-to-the-point game that captures the essence of table tennis exceptionally well. It's a super fun, incredibly addictive, surprisingly focused and smartly designed game that's totally worth $39.99. The actual sport has been handled very well. It's meant to be played with a friend or online. If we just reviewed the actual gameplay mechanics and that's it, this game would have received a higher score. But as a single-player game, it's underwhelming. As a whole package, it's disappointing. There are no extras here. There is no career mode, no mini-games, no doubles games (and we understand why). As a game design it's clearly simple and lean, and while that was the point, you can finish this game in a mere two hours. It's just too short and lean for our tastes.

If you want a table tennis game that's strictly focused on great mechanics and addictive gameplay, but that lacks a reasonable single-player mode and is shockingly spare, Rockstar Presents Table Tennis is your game. For $39.99 and a few good friends around, you'll have a blast.

6.0 Presentation
Spare and with little fanfare. A big change for Rockstar.

8.0 Graphics
Also spare and with little fanfare, but exceptional for what it does. Overall there are excellent mo-cap, animations, and sharp character models.

8.0 Sound
Crackling ping ping sound effects, a wide range of crowd sounds, and a subtle, slick soundtrack. As always, Rockstar delivers good sound.

8.5 Gameplay
Excellent control, precision mechanics, and sharp gameplay. This is where the game shines.

6.0 Lasting Appeal
No features of any kind. The biggest missing feature is a single-player campaign, although the multiplayer modes are skimpy too. Just like everything else, the replay value is spare.

7.8 Good OVERALL

let me get this straight... people bitch about lack of career mode when you know that if it was included, people would just bitch about how inferior it is to playing online?

Truelize said:
Can't wait to read that you are taking the game back to trade it in next week. :D

Being excited about a table tennis game baffles me. You move 4 feet to each side and hit the ball. This is not a sports game. This is more a tech demo than a game.
You know I think I could probably score a basket on even some of the greatest NBA stars. You know...just 1.

However, I can't imagine I could ever score against one of the great Table Tennis legends. Have you ever seen like the US vs. China matches? Insanity.

rage1973

ToyMachine228 said:
You know I think I could probably score a basket on even some of the greatest NBA stars. You know...just 1.

However, I can't imagine I could ever score against one of the great Table Tennis legends. Have you ever seen like the US vs. China matches? Insanity.
I doubt you could score one point on someone like Artest.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The correct review is the Eurogamer one. The gameplay is flawless, easy to pick up and difficult to master. It's a simple, arcade friendly sport game ment to be played with other human beings either locally or over the net. And at that little price. Table Tennis has me wondering if this is the way to go for 1 vs 1 sport sims. Just diss the career crap and get straight to the point. After all, a proper career mode in this type of games is just smoke and mirrors to justify the high price tag. Make it cheap and keep the fun. I like this.

crunker99

the game stinks, i have been playign it for 2 hours now

but it will sell because of the rockstar name

is really bad though

JB1981

crunker99 said:

is really bad though

Au contraire. Just played a few rounds online. This game is fucking awesome.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
crunker99 said:

is really bad though

hmmmmmm....

Top Bottom