• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Upscaling Thread or let's make old games look better 32xAA AND 16xAF PLZ OMG

zbarron

Jet Force Gemini in 720p.
8f2e2gy.jpg

I wouldn't mind at all if it was finally released for the XBLA and looked like this.

Obaid

Banned
zbarron said:
8f2e2gy.jpg

I wouldn't mind at all if it was finally released for the XBLA and looked like this.

low res textures :p somehow the ps1 games look much better then the N64 games upscaled.

Pharmacy

Banned
Obaid said:
low res textures :p somehow the ps1 games look much better then the N64 games upscaled.

Do the N64 emulators have texture filtering and AF?

Cos if not thats probably why PS1 games look much better

zbarron

That is with Super2XSal, Texture filtering and 16x AF on. People make Hi Resolution texture packs for the N64 for a reason. I personally prefer the originals since it feels more authentic.

Pharmacy

Banned
zbarron said:
That is with Super2XSal, Texture filtering and 16x AF on. People make Hi Resolution texture packs for the N64 for a reason. I personally prefer the originals since it feels more authentic.

Ahh right, at least those models look better. Still, like people said, its nothing compared to the upgrade PSOne games get.

Lobster

Banned
zbarron said:
[IMG*]http://i14.tinypic.com/8f2e2gy.jpg[/IMG]

You know..thinking back to JFG..a lot of the scenes felt like they were straight from Star Wars...

pswii60

Why can't they use some of these cool filters on XBLA arcade games? The filters included are generally shit, and make the games look like they've been smothered with vaseline. Whereas some of the filters in this thread look amazing, especially the HQ4x on Yoshi.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Splatt said:

I'll try it later.

For now, i'll just have to satisfy with screenshots (with NTSC filter on).
Could you post some with the RGB filter instead of composite?

SOLDIER

zbarron said:

Would you happen to have links to those texture packs? I know they made one for OOT, but I wasn't aware there were others.

zbarron

SOLDIER said:
Would you happen to have links to those texture packs? I know they made one for OOT, but I wasn't aware there were others.
I don't know if any of the links work since I never use them but you can find some Here.

Here is Ocarina of Time in widescreen.
729jj1u.jpg

zbarron

Thanks to increasing the resolution far beyond the native, I've discovered that there are two models for Mario in SM64. When the camera is zoomed out and you run you get the first model.

6wr23dk.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
zbarron said:
Thanks to increasing the resolution far beyond the native, I've discovered that there are two models for Mario in SM64. When the camera is zoomed out and you run you get the first model.

6wr23dk.jpg

Yeah I noticed that too, but it also happens on the emulated VC version for Wii.

Xiaoki

Obaid said:
That's the power of cartridge gaming right there. Can't believe some people want to return to those dark days.

I quit emulation a long time ago. Even though I was using the discs it was too much of a hassle. But, the results you can get is at times incredible.
A lot of PS1 games had much better texture mapping than we knew. Because of the PS1s crappy resolution and the crappy TVs the games were meant for the great texture mapping was lost.

Tain said:

I've always hated scanlines, until I saw this picture. Wow.

Since reading this thread, I've been playing around with settings. And low and behold, I've discovered I love the look of 20% scanlines. There's just something about the look that's very nice.

That said (and I know it's subjective), I hate the look of the HQ filters. The picture looks a lot smoother - but tons of detail is lost.

zbarron

Ocarina of Time Master Quest through Project64 V1.7 with Wireframe Rendering.
7ygxude.jpg

By the way, this is in Dodongo's cavern.

That's the power of cartridge gaming right there. Can't believe some people want to return to those dark days.

I quit emulation a long time ago. Even though I was using the discs it was too much of a hassle. But, the results you can get is at times incredible.
A lot of PS1 games had much better texture mapping than we knew. Because of the PS1s crappy resolution and the crappy TVs the games were meant for the great texture mapping was lost.

Back in the day i always thought the playstation offered a sharper picture, my n64 always looked blurry to me.

thatbox

Banned
jiji said:
Filters that add composite-like artifacts, like dot crawl and color smearing, are just misguided. Scanlines actually enhance the appearance of a game by taking away from the sharp edges and blockiness, while the crap composite cables introduced is something we've been trying to get games away from for years.
Well, sure. But I think they're nostalgic more than misguided - when I'm away from my older consoles, sometimes it's nice to slap on an NTSC filter and be back in 1994 playing Sonic sitting cross-legged in front a a TV with an RF connection. The main technical defense of these filters is that many old games were made with CRT pixel-level fuzziness in mind, and while I'm not sure how valid that is, it's a filter method that produces familiar results that can tickle the back of your brain. Nobody's saying dot-crawl or color-smearing enhances or preserves fidelity, so it's just something fun you can do to remind you of the old days, if you want to. No biggie.

God's Beard said:
What game is this?

randomwab

It's Fear Effect 2 Retro Helix. They were pretty good Resident Evil clones, and I believe Fear Effect 3 is back on track again, isn't it?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
nincompoop said:

Absolutely awesome.

I found some pics of Zelda:OOT texture re-packs as well.
celd1.jpg

THELEGENDOFZELDA-10.jpg

THE20LEGEND20OF20ZELDA-2.jpg

Looks like a whole new game.
Texture re-packs rock, anyone have anymore?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
brendanrfoley said:
I've always hated scanlines, until I saw this picture. Wow.

Since reading this thread, I've been playing around with settings. And low and behold, I've discovered I love the look of 20% scanlines. There's just something about the look that's very nice.

That said (and I know it's subjective), I hate the look of the HQ filters. The picture looks a lot smoother - but tons of detail is lost.
The HQ filters are terrible looking, but 2XSAI remains one of my favorites...

sonic.png

SOLDIER

Have any of you guys seen any "Let's Play" videos, like from Something Awful? I'm interested in doing a few myself, but what I can't figure out is how to record a video of both the game and the audio from your mic. I've never used a PC mic before, so I'm not sure how hard it can be. Please recommend any program or programs that can record both the gameplay and your voice while playing.

zbarron

FTWer said:
Absolutely awesome.

I found some pics of Zelda:OOT texture re-packs as well.
THELEGENDOFZELDA-10.jpg

Looks like a whole new game.
Texture re-packs rock, anyone have anymore?
Do you have a working link to that pack?

SOLDIER

Someone should link all texture packs to the OP, wich pics.

Also, is there a texture pack for Starfox 64? That would be sweet.

And if anyone has any tips for my previous question, please help me out.

zbarron

716rdib.jpg

The pleasing blend of blur, scanlines, and grayscale give the almost therapeutic feeling of playing a Mario game on that really old TV in your basement. If only there was a filter that curved the edges of the screen.

SOLDIER

Today I bought this and had it installed on my PC:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007134

Among this and a new processor and motherboard, my system can now dish out whatever high settings emulators have. So I'd like some tips on how to get ePSXe to its highest and nicest looking settings.

This also includes shaders. Which is the best shader to use for a graphics card like this, anything to make all the textures as hi res as possible?

Also, which plugin should I use for sound? I still have that issue where the FMV in games is sped up too fast or the sound is all distorted.

bosx2

Banned
can someone upscale these few games for me?

thanks

Killer Instinct N64
Flashback SNES
Spec Ops (PC or PS1)

thanks

Synless

Can someone help me with ePSXe, it tells me when I try and run a game that it is not properly configured. It tells me to goto config->Video and set it up, but when I go to it I can't config it to anything because nothing shows up. What do i do?

Splatt

Synless said:
Can someone help me with ePSXe, it tells me when I try and run a game that it is not properly configured. It tells me to goto config->Video and set it up, but when I go to it I can't config it to anything because nothing shows up. What do i do?

Download plugins and put them into "plugins" folder.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
zbarron said:
The pleasing blend of blur, scanlines, and grayscale give the almost therapeutic feeling of playing a Mario game on that really old TV in your basement. If only there was a filter that curved the edges of the screen.
I believe some of the latest ZSNES builds include an "NTSC" function that attempts to emulate the appearance of SNES games being played on an old TV via composite.

You can tweak it to make things look better or worse and even distort the screen. Here is a comparison made...

One pic is a direct composite capture from a real SNES and the other is a snap from the emulator running with the NTSC filter...

snes_or_emu.png

Ranger X

Never noticed that thread before.

I prefer 2D graphics in their native form. And quite alot. The only one tolerable is Yoshi's Island because of it's very particuliar art.

The filtering for 3D is awesome though.

bee

as far as the n64 high res texture packs go i think the unfinished banjo kazooie one blows the others away

6u9yyds.jpg

7yewxt2.jpg

6je739e.jpg

notice the original untouched texture on this one as a comparison

86skdir.jpg

SOLDIER

It's good the thread is still going, but I really would like some answers to my questions.

All I'm trying to figure out is how to enable the FMVs to run smoothly (they either run too fast or don't have sound playing). And in regards to shaders, is it better to have each shader saved in individual folders, all under one shaders folder, or just dump all the shader files unsorted? I can't seem to have ePSXe point at the shaders I downloaded.

Also, which shaders do you recommend for really high resolutions (1808x1012, namely)?

Next, how is the PS2 emulation going? Are there any games that run smoothly yet, or is it all still buggy?

And finally, I could swear I saw a Zelda OOT texture pack that was heads and shoulders above what's been posted here. It made the textures on brick walls and foilage look very lifelike, like the Banjo pack just shown.

Have any texture packs been released for PS1 games while we're at it.

Pharmacy

Banned
SOLDIER said:
It's good the thread is still going, but I really would like some answers to my questions.

All I'm trying to figure out is how to enable the FMVs to run smoothly (they either run too fast or don't have sound playing). And in regards to shaders, is it better to have each shader saved in individual folders, all under one shaders folder, or just dump all the shader files unsorted? I can't seem to have ePSXe point at the shaders I downloaded.

Also, which shaders do you recommend for really high resolutions (1808x1012, namely)?

Next, how is the PS2 emulation going? Are there any games that run smoothly yet, or is it all still buggy?

And finally, I could swear I saw a Zelda OOT texture pack that was heads and shoulders above what's been posted here. It made the textures on brick walls and foilage look very lifelike, like the Banjo pack just shown.

Have any texture packs been released for PS1 games while we're at it.

To get FMVs run smoothly (if they're running too fast) then you'll need to limit the FPS to like 60fps in the video settings. Not sure about where to put shaders, but the best plugin is, IMO, Petes OpenGL plugin, when you're running at a resolution like that you'll want to crank everything up to highest with it.

PS2 emulation can be a buggy, mixed bag. You need a fast PC as well.

No texture packs for the PS1, tbh theres no need since texture filtering in ePSXe looks awesome.

SOLDIER

I downloaded Pete's OpenGL Plugin, but under the shaders box, I only get about four choices (smooth and a couple others). I thought you would be able to apply any shader you found on this plugin.

My PC right now is the fastest and most powerful available, so with that in mind what are some PS2 games that are sure to work almost perfectly?

Please say FFXII.

Dali

SOLDIER said:
I downloaded Pete's OpenGL Plugin, but under the shaders box, I only get about four choices (smooth and a couple others). I thought you would be able to apply any shader you found on this plugin.

My PC right now is the fastest and most powerful available, so with that in mind what are some PS2 games that are sure to work almost perfectly?

Please say FFXII.

I think you should probably head to PCSX2's website for compatibility. I do think FFXII is playable though.

http://www.pcsx2.net/compat.php?c=key

Also ngemu is PCSX's official forum so that may be helpful as well. I don't have a graphics card that'll support any of the new epsxe shaders so I can't help you there, but ngemu should also have info on that.

http://forums.ngemu.com/pcsx2-official-forum/

bee

SOLDIER said:

Please say FFXII.

FFXII works quite well its certainly playable if buggy, FFX on the other hand works about 95% and is fully playable from start to finish, i know cos i did it :p

all pics resized from 1080p with 4xaa

6y22t0z.png

828dp9v.png

6y3br60.png

Pharmacy

Banned
bee said:
FFXII works quite well its certainly playable if buggy, FFX on the other hand works about 95% and is fully playable from start to finish, i know cos i did it :p

that is worth a boner holy shit

Durante

bee said:

You really shouldn't resize a 4:3 game to a 16:9 resolution. ugh.

Pharmacy

Banned
SRG01 said:
What game is this?

fear effect its about cel-shaded lesbians

Durante said:
You really shouldn't resize a 4:3 game to a 16:9 resolution. ugh.

i do this with all old games, it looks normal after a while. it doesn't make a huge difference tbh but thats just me

Durante

Pharmacy said:
i do this with all old games, it looks normal after a while. it doesn't make a huge difference tbh but thats just me
Really?
ff10834.jpg

6y22t0z.png

I don't expect everyone to be annoyed by 4:3 games being displayed in 5:4 (eg. some TFTs) like I am, but 4:3 -> 16:9 is a pretty damn huge discrepancy.

Top Bottom