• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Upscaling Thread or let's make old games look better 32xAA AND 16xAF PLZ OMG

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
For those who have played FF12 vie emu -

I bought FF12 when it was released but I have yet to play it (yeah, Odin Sphere too. This is insane.) Anyway, would it be okay to do the initial playthrough on emulation, or would there be too many game-stopping bugs and crashes that would just get in the way of my enjoyment? Problems with text display or FMV?

bee

Durante said:
You really shouldn't resize a 4:3 game to a 16:9 resolution. ugh.

doesn't bother me in the slightest, played on widescreens tv's for like 9 years now and i'd rather play the game in the native resolution of my tv than in a window

Rentahamster said:
I bought FF12 when it was released but I have yet to play it (yeah, Odin Sphere too. This is insane.) Anyway, would it be okay to do the initial playthrough on emulation, or would there be too many game-stopping bugs and crashes that would just get in the way of my enjoyment? Problems with text display or FMV?

play it on ps2 or wait, the sound looping can be really quite annoying, only played 2hrs of it on the emu and it crashed a few times so i wouldn't want to try and play through the whole game on it, that said it does run full speed and look great

Pharmacy

Banned
Durante said:
Really?

I don't expect everyone to be annoyed by 4:3 games being displayed in 5:4 (eg. some TFTs) like I am, but 4:3 -> 16:9 is a pretty damn huge discrepancy.

when you put the two images together like that, of course the 4:3 is way better but when you're sat quite away from the source it tends to look fine. that and my monitor is 16:10 so its not quite as stretched out :p

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Damn straight! I hoped the ps3 upscaling would look at least a little like this but it doesn't make that much difference imo.

SOLDIER

Durante said:
Really?
ff10834.jpg

6y22t0z.png

I don't expect everyone to be annoyed by 4:3 games being displayed in 5:4 (eg. some TFTs) like I am, but 4:3 -> 16:9 is a pretty damn huge discrepancy.

Is there an option for different widescreen effects, like anamorphic, or just something that crops a little of the top and bottom?

Regardless, this looks gorgeous. Can you tell me what settings you used with the emulator? I'm going to download it later, but I want to optimize everything to the best my PC can handle.

And I'd still like someone to tell me how to have the ePSXe plugin recognize all the shaders I downloaded. I'd provide pics but I'm at work.

brendanrfoley said:
I've always hated scanlines, until I saw this picture. Wow.

Since reading this thread, I've been playing around with settings. And low and behold, I've discovered I love the look of 20% scanlines. There's just something about the look that's very nice.

That said (and I know it's subjective), I hate the look of the HQ filters. The picture looks a lot smoother - but tons of detail is lost.

Yeah that pic is pretty amazing. What emu is that?

SOLDIER

Couple more questions.

1. On ePSXe, I'm trying to enable analog control on my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2. What settings do I need to make it work? Will it only work on PS1 games that support analog control, or can it be used for all games?

2. Same question, but for rumble.

3. I tried getting the PS2 emulator to run with FFX, but I can't get past the PS2 booting menu. It doesn't seem to recognize the disc in my tray, even if I eject and insert it again.

Basically, can you just give us a step by step on how you managed to get the game running?

And finally, is the emulator supposed to look worse on fullscreen? The menu looked a lot greyer and washed out in fullscreen compared to windowed.

bee

SOLDIER said:
Basically, can you just give us a step by step on how you managed to get the game running?

And finally, is the emulator supposed to look worse on fullscreen? The menu looked a lot greyer and washed out in fullscreen compared to windowed.

well the plugins i used were -

graphics - zero kosmos 0.97.1 - interlace off, bilinear on, 4xaa, widescreen on, 1920x1080
sound - zerospu2 0.4.4 - default settings
dvdrom - P.E.Op.S CDVD 1.3.0 - not much i can say for this, just mess about with the settings until it recognises the disc and plays ok, its different for different drives, start off with 2x speed and no cache and work your way up, just make sure its pointed to the right drive letter

gsdx is generally a much better graphics plugin but i found kosmos best for ffx, you can always find the latest build of gsdx HERE, also if you cant get it to play your original ps2 disc try making an image of it and use linuzappz iso 0.7.0 plugin instead

was fine in full screen for me, perhaps the resolution your using is way off your monitors native? try gsdx that allows you much more resolution options, just set your resolution, set dx9 or dx10 if you got vista etc, pixel shader 3, no interlace, 16:9 or whatever and vsync, the key setting in gsdx is D3D internal res you've just gotta experiment and get it as high as you can without it either crashing or slowing down

found a couple more screens that i took, was a long time since i played it

72uu7tl.png

6nrmzvt.png

6jnadxy.png

VNZ

Between 16xUltraFormShaping filters and stretching 4:3 to 16:9, I'm really losing hope in younger gamers' aspiration to any kind of class or culture in their hobby... It's like drinking a fine wine at 22°C in a plastic take-away mug or watching a dubbed movie.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Alaluef said:
:lol It wasn't a typo nor a troll-post! What I just meant was that my (technical) hopes for FFXIII isn't that big, and I'd be happy if the game looked that smooth (x16 AA and all that).

Pharmacy

Banned
VNZ said:
Between 16xUltraFormShaping filters and stretching 4:3 to 16:9, I'm really losing hope in younger gamers' aspiration to any kind of class or culture in their hobby... It's like drinking a fine wine at 22°C in a plastic take-away mug or watching a dubbed movie.

oh man we got owned lock this thread hes right

(shut the fuck up)

VNZ said:
Indeed.

But truthfully, good taste is rare no matter what age you are.

SexConker

Banned
VNZ said:

Agreed.
That, and the whole emulators, piracy thing.

"I'm only using this to play games I already own with filtering!"
Yeah. Ok.

bee

VNZ said:

lol, how old do you think i am? :p video game snobbery is funny

SexConker said:
That, and the whole emulators, piracy thing.

"I'm only using this to play games I already own with filtering!"
Yeah. Ok.

the ps2 emu runs original ps2 discs just like a real ps2 would, whats wrong with that?

SOLDIER

bee said:
well the plugins i used were -

graphics - zero kosmos 0.97.1 - interlace off, bilinear on, 4xaa, widescreen on, 1920x1080
sound - zerospu2 0.4.4 - default settings
dvdrom - P.E.Op.S CDVD 1.3.0 - not much i can say for this, just mess about with the settings until it recognises the disc and plays ok, its different for different drives, start off with 2x speed and no cache and work your way up, just make sure its pointed to the right drive letter

gsdx is generally a much better graphics plugin but i found kosmos best for ffx, you can always find the latest build of gsdx HERE, also if you cant get it to play your original ps2 disc try making an image of it and use linuzappz iso 0.7.0 plugin instead

was fine in full screen for me, perhaps the resolution your using is way off your monitors native? try gsdx that allows you much more resolution options, just set your resolution, set dx9 or dx10 if you got vista etc, pixel shader 3, no interlace, 16:9 or whatever and vsync, the key setting in gsdx is D3D internal res you've just gotta experiment and get it as high as you can without it either crashing or slowing down

found a couple more screens that i took, was a long time since i played it

72uu7tl.png

6nrmzvt.png

6jnadxy.png

Right now I'm having issues with the CD-ROM part. I tried fiddling around with the plugin as you said (my DVD drive is 4x), pointed it to my drive, tried the different type of speeds, but everytime I start up the emulator I get a "not found" message and it closes.

Is there anyother plugin I could try for the disc drive? Or am I better off ripping the image? If it's the latter, what program do you recommend for that?

And again, do you get those same resolutions playing on fullscreen too, or does it get all buggy if you aren't windowed?

And in regards to ePSXe, I'm trying to enable analog control and rumble. Does analog only work on games that had the feature originally?

SOLDIER

Also, whatever happened to Gamecube emulation? I remember a bit back someone was working on an emulator, and the pics shown were really nice (especially WW).

eve241

M3d10n said:
Good timing, I need me some cash. These are a bit glitchy, but I think they'll do.

6p7yct5.jpg

87mhq9e.jpg

Thanks.Er...here's 5 Dynes. :D

Btw, how exactly to people do the upscaling? I'm guessing those pictures were taken with Giri Giri, right?

SOLDIER

Finally managed to get a game working on PCSX (Alcohol 120% is your friend). As expected though, it wasn't perfect, but since you somehow got it working, maybe you can tell me what I did wrong.

Right now this is how the game looks:

FFX1.jpg

The music is also really slow in cutscenes, but it sped the hell up during the menu or pausing the game.

These are my current settings with the emulator.

FFX2.jpg

FFX3.jpg

And my system specs too:

FFX4.jpg

Any ideas? I'm getting closer here, and I just need some help.

EDIT: Sorry if the pics are too small. I have to reinstall Photoshop.

Basically I'm using the ZeroGS driver for graphics, with the same filters you mentioned before.

SOLDIER

Actually scratch that, I just noticed the FFX fix option under the graphic settings.

FFX5.jpg

I still have an issue where the game and music is playing in about half the speed. It jumped to normal briefly when it switched to Tidus' face, but then it got slow again.

There's also some minor texture clipping, like strands of Tidus' hair looking black, but aside from that I'm very happy how close it is to running, and MAN it looks gorgeous.

So please help me to get it running at a smooth 60 fps if possible.

SOLDIER

Curent Settings:

Graphics: ZeroGS KOSMOS 0.97.1

Interlace Enable
Bilinear Filtering
4X
1920x1080
FFX Hack

Sound: P.E.O.p.S. SPU2 DSound Driver 1.4.0

Mode: Fast
Volume: Medium
Reverb: No Reverb
Interpolation: Gaussian Interpolation
Enable XA Playing
Change XA Speed

CPU:

Multi Threaded GS Mode
Dual Core Mode
Frame Limit

The next game I tried was Kingdom Hearts II, where skipping to the first cutscene results in really messed up textures followed by the whole PC crashing. The title screen is the only normal thing functioning.

Also, I'm tinkering with N64 emulation next, but so far the games crash when running them. What's currently the best emulator to use, and the best settings for high end PCs? I haven't kept up much in that field.

bee

yep tidus's hair is screwed on one his models nothing you can do about it and it didnt bother me, a few other textures go wonky during the game but nothing major

one thing i perhaps didn't mention is just how much of a resource hog the emu is, i was playing it on a e6600@3.6ghz and a 8800gts and it played great the only thing i remember slowing down was a couple of the summons, where i just did shift+f6 to knock down the amount of AA temporarily

whats sort of fps are you getting? it says on the bar at the top, try lowering the resolution to 720p and 2xaa maybe, im not sure if that cpu is gonna be able to properly handle it, almost all games framerates are cpu bound apart from the odd one like resident evil 4

SOLDIER

Not sure about the frame rate, but one factor may be the type of emulator. As you can sort of make out there, I'm using 0.91, and it turns out that there's a 0.94. So maybe I can update to fix things.

Also, my PC specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
Dual Core Processor 4000+
2.10 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Geforce 8800GT 512mb

Edit: Yeah, the guys at emoforums said I definetely need to get 0.94, or better yet 0.95 beta. They assure the game will run super fast now. I can't wait to get out of work. :(

roxya

bee said:
one thing i perhaps didn't mention is just how much of a resource hog the emu is, i was playing it on a e6600@3.6ghz and a 8800gts and it played great the only thing i remember slowing down was a couple of the summons, where i just did shift+f6 to knock down the amount of AA temporarily

Is that really helping? Almost certainly 99% of all people doing this are lacking CPU power rather than having the GPU strained. I know my 8800GTX is not phased by cranking up the AA at all.

SOLDIER

I would if I could get the games to run properly. Currently the games run too slowly, despite upgrading to Vista Ultimate.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just some Jet Set Radio screens I took today.

I didn't mess much with the emulator, do you guys know how to use AA in Chankast? Any specific plugin?

16l0l0p.png

33lnr03.png

x52l49.png

bee

roxya said:
Is that really helping? Almost certainly 99% of all people doing this are lacking CPU power rather than having the GPU strained. I know my 8800GTX is not phased by cranking up the AA at all.

try it, it worked for me on ifrit overdrive for sure but didnt help at all on shiva summon

one more pic, oh no's its stretched to widescreen again, kingdom hearts - original was 720p with 16xaa

23szmms.png

bee said:
try it, it worked for me on ifrit overdrive for sure but didnt help at all on shiva summon

one more pic, oh no's its stretched to widescreen again, kingdom hearts - original was 720p with 16xaa

23szmms.png
Why not stretch it even wider? I mean if your gonna totally butcher the image you might as well go all out.
kh579.jpg

bee

i must say i could of resized it to 4:3 quite easily but i find the (over)reaction you people have to the pics rather amusing

SOLDIER

Bee, can you give us the step by step settings you used for pcsx? CDROM, Graphics, Bios, etc? Then maybe someone can copy it to the OP.

I need the best settings for Vista. I should be able to run this almost perfectly, but the settings I have right now have it running in slow motion.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tain said:
You gotta filter it too, man.

:lol

Seriously, play the game in its original aspect ratio. You are not adding additional information to the picture at all - you are just squishing everything.

Don't put the rectangular block in the square hole. We all learned this in kindergarten.

fahr

Has anyone found a way to eliminate the horrible geometry wobbling and tearing that's commonplace on playstation games? Its the only thing that's really holding these older games back from standing the test of time, now that the games can be displayed with texture filtering and higher resolutions.

Top Bottom