• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Upscaling Thread or let's make old games look better 32xAA AND 16xAF PLZ OMG

Mamesj

Banned
fahr said:
Has anyone found a way to eliminate the horrible geometry wobbling and tearing that's commonplace on playstation games? Its the only thing that's really holding these older games back from standing the test of time, now that the games can be displayed with texture filtering and higher resolutions.

what's geometry wobbling?

and yeah, the whole last page is a bloodbath of shitty PS2 shots. please don't post every single screenshot you take.

there's also a PCSX2 thread if you need tech help with it.

Tain

I remember someone (Shogmaster?) giving a very good reason as to why warping textures won't ever be worked around via high level emulation.

And I totally forget what that reason is. But it was a good one!

Tain said:
I remember someone (Shogmaster?) giving a very good reason as to why warping textures won't ever be worked around via high level emulation.

And I totally forget what that reason is. But it was a good one!

I believe it was something about the original Playstation lacking the floating point math precision to consistently render textures with the correct perspective. And that this problem was inherent in Playstation executables--not something you could get around with an emulator patch, you'd actually have to recompile the binaries using code that used more precisely declared variables.

...IIRC

bran

bee said:
well the plugins i used were -

graphics - zero kosmos 0.97.1 - interlace off, bilinear on, 4xaa, widescreen on, 1920x1080
sound - zerospu2 0.4.4 - default settings
dvdrom - P.E.Op.S CDVD 1.3.0 - not much i can say for this, just mess about with the settings until it recognises the disc and plays ok, its different for different drives, start off with 2x speed and no cache and work your way up, just make sure its pointed to the right drive letter

gsdx is generally a much better graphics plugin but i found kosmos best for ffx, you can always find the latest build of gsdx HERE, also if you cant get it to play your original ps2 disc try making an image of it and use linuzappz iso 0.7.0 plugin instead

was fine in full screen for me, perhaps the resolution your using is way off your monitors native? try gsdx that allows you much more resolution options, just set your resolution, set dx9 or dx10 if you got vista etc, pixel shader 3, no interlace, 16:9 or whatever and vsync, the key setting in gsdx is D3D internal res you've just gotta experiment and get it as high as you can without it either crashing or slowing down

found a couple more screens that i took, was a long time since i played it

http://i5.tinypic.com/72uu7tl.png[/IMG]

http://i19.tinypic.com/6nrmzvt.png[/IMG]

http://i8.tinypic.com/6jnadxy.png[/IMG]

Please stop horribly stretching your shots! Please! I am begging you.

AZ Greg

Can someone tell me the names of the best current emulators for the following platforms:

NES
SNES
Genesis
GB/GBC
GBA
PS1
Saturn
N64

Tain

NES: Personally, I really like Nestopia. Lots of different ones out there will get the job done just fine, though

SNES: Zsnes is a general favorite.

Genesis: Lots of people will suggest Gens, but Kega Fusion whomps it all over the place. Fusion is just awesome.

GB/GBC/GBA: I'm guessing VisualBoy Advance.

PS1: ePSXe is nice, but I think I like pSX Emulator a little bit more. Hard to tell if it's as compatible as ePSXe yet, and it doesn't pretty up games, but it's less high level so there's way less configuration involved. Use 'em both.

Saturn: SSF, from what I hear. I can't run it because I have the last CPU in the world to not support SSE2.

N64: I'm not sure. :eek:

needlesmcgirk said:
Are there any emulators out there that actually upscale like this, or are these just images you guys are putting through photoshop?

None of those pictures are photoshopped. The images that you see have took a nice dose of AA and are probably running at a high resolution through some type of emulator (Snes, PS, and N64). If you would take the time to go through all the pages of this thread and enjoy its awesomeness like i did, you would probably know this.

M3d10n

fahr said:
Has anyone found a way to eliminate the horrible geometry wobbling and tearing that's commonplace on playstation games? Its the only thing that's really holding these older games back from standing the test of time, now that the games can be displayed with texture filtering and higher resolutions.

That's not possible, I think. Most vertex operations were done using the Geometry Transformation Engine, which used fixed precision values. Projecting vertices from 3D space to 2D space was also done by the GTE, and it didn't use a true projection matrix for that, aside from using low precision data. This causes rounding "errors" when calculating 2D positions for the vertices, making them jitter when moving (how much they jitter depends on the scale at which they are being calculated at).

Even if a emulator makes the GTE use floating point internally, the games would still feed it with low precision data, so it wouldn't be much different.

Leidenfrost said:
I believe it was something about the original Playstation lacking the floating point math precision to consistently render textures with the correct perspective. And that this problem was inherent in Playstation executables--not something you could get around with an emulator patch, you'd actually have to recompile the binaries using code that used more precisely declared variables.

...IIRC

Not quite. The DS doesn't have floating point either, but it can do perspective correct texturing.

The issue was that Playstation "GPU" only worked with 2D (screen) coordinates, which were fed form the GTE.

A GPU needs depth information in order to adjust texture mapping based on the perspective. One could add support for depth information on emulators, but like Leidenfrost said, games would need to be recompiled from their original source to make use of it.

SOLDIER

Wanted to bump this and ask if anyone could recommend me the best emulators for NES, Genesis, and Sega CD. For the former, I haven't found one that doesn't mess up the sound.

Blablurn

so gaf, please let old dreamcast games or whatever look better. cant do it myself, but am amazed by the awesomeness of it.

McLovin said:
So any recommendations for a good snes emulator? I would really love to play my old games upscaled.

ZSNES is the most reliable IMO, but you could try Snes9X as well. They both have A-A.

McLovin said:
So any recommendations for a good snes emulator? I would really love to play my old games upscaled.

ZSNES.

Fun Fact: I redesigned their logo for them a couple of years ago. It got put up on their site as part of their redesign for one day, then there a conflict between the team and whoever did the design for them so the entire redesign was scrapped.

Durante

Since I recently built a new PC I just played around a bit with the latest version of PCSX2 and the GsDX plugin. All the following screenshots are with 2048*2048 internal rendering resolution.

Tales of the Abyss works almost perfectly from what I've tested, and looks really nice:
tota267.jpg

Persona 3 also looks great, but is not fully playable due to some graphical bugs:
persona3_1426.jpg

persona3_2235.jpg

persona3_3911.jpg

Ydahs

Durante said:
Tales of the Abyss works almost perfectly from what I've tested, and looks really nice:
tota267.jpg

Can you post some inbattle screens? I'm gonna play this soon but I'm undecided if I want to play it on my PC or not?

btw, what's your PC specs?

Durante

Ydahs said:
Can you post some inbattle screens? I'm gonna play this soon but I'm undecided if I want to play it on my PC or not?

btw, what's your PC specs?
I'm at work right now, I'll take some battle screens when I'm home. My PC specs are Q6600@3GHz, 4GB DDR2-800 RAM, Geforce 8800 GTS, running Vista 64.

trejo

So what's the status on those battle screens? That Abyss pic looks phenomenal. And so do the P3 ones.

Has anyone tried Rogue Galaxy yet?

Raistlin

Mamesj said:
what's geometry wobbling?

The PSX was an interesting piece of HW. It had what was effectively the first (large scale) 3D accelerator. However, to get it as fast as it was, Krazy Ken had to make it integer-based.

Due to this, round-off errors causes some 'interesting' artifacts on geometry at certain distances. They would warp, etc.

Programmers figured out ways around this in later games ... but the artifact is pretty obvious in many older games.

To the OP, the only way around it would be if someone made an emulator that actually didn't emulate the GPU as it really functions, and instead did not have round-off errors. I would expect that would be a bit of a pain to get general emulation that differs so much from the original spec. Applying higher res and post-processing effects is one thing ... changing the underlying rendering calculations would probably be more problematic. I'm sure it could be done, but I'm not sure there is enough incentive for the emu crew to do it at this point.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Deciding which qualifies as a "3D accelerator" among various hardwares rendering (psuedo) 3D is just semantics. SEGA launched a (more perspective correct) 3D console earlier as well as 3D arcade boards years earlier.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Edit:
Ok so I just realized I replied to a 5 month old post.
Who resurrects these things... -_-

M3d10n said:
Even if a emulator makes the GTE use floating point internally, the games would still feed it with low precision data, so it wouldn't be much different.
That's not true.
Console games have been using vertex data in 16bit Fixed point or even lower precision formats for at least the past 8years - and clearly it doesn't create jitters (unless you use wrong transformation order).
And fixed point transformation pipeline should not have this issue either - in fact when dealing with accumulating errors it tends to be easier to control stability of operations in fixed point.
Ask devs sometime why noone writes rasterizers that operate with floating point numbers internally.

Anyway I've observed PS1 game look more 'stable' under PSP emulation then on PC, but I am not sure if I should attribute that to higher resolution rendering revealing something, or just buggy emulation (PC emulation is still far from perfect even after all this time).
And the whole concept of increasing resolution is ripe for creating precision issues that don't exist in native space.

Demigod Mac

Can anyone recommend settings for FF7?

The best I've gotten it to look is using Pete's D3D plugin, but it's missing the battle swirls (and yes, I've enabled the special fixes section for that option - no luck). The screen just freezes for a second and then the battle screen loads up.

Pete's OpenGL and OpenGL2 plugins have other problems with FF7.

This happens no matter what emulator I use, be it ePSXe or PSXeven.

bee

MoxManiac said:
2xSAI is like the worst thing ever, unless you want to make your games purposely uglier!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, its purely personal preference

derder

So...
Complete noob here, what all do I need to play my copy of FF12 with all the tweaking?
I just bought a new pc (e8400, ati4850, 4gb, etc.) and after seeing this thread, I can't imagine going back to playing the games on my TV

whitehawk

Banned
This might not be the best thread for this, but I have a problem. I have this:

8f13_1_b.JPG

And SNES9x won't recognize my Playstation 2 controller, and I'm not sure why. Can anyone help?

thejared

umm just curious... why cant the PS3 do this to all ps1 and ps2 era games?

is it not just a matter of running the game at a higher resolution like PC games have been doing for years?

Hypecube

Banned
thejared said:
umm just curious... why cant the PS3 do this to all ps1 and ps2 era games?

is it not just a matter of running the game at a higher resolution like PC games have been doing for years?

NO, it not.

The PS3 would need about 4 times as much ram to "brute force" PS2 emulation the way the PC does it. And while some games look great, The PC ps2 emulation is filled with bugs and glitches that would never make it past Sony's Q&A.

thejared

wow, didnt realize it was that demanding.

in my limited pc gaming experience, i do remember being able to just change the games' resolution at will.

so changing the resolution causes bugs and glitches?

whitehawk

Banned
whitehawk said:
This might not be the best thread for this, but I have a problem. I have this:

8f13_1_b.JPG

And SNES9x won't recognize my Playstation 2 controller, and I'm not sure why. Can anyone help?
Sorry to bump, but anyone?

Sibylus

Banned
Would there be a method to forcing filters and such on 2d sprite games that are native to the PC?

I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of improvements Age of Empires I might see.

Top Bottom