• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

AVclub

So wait, only the US version will have the 10th Anniversary version of VF on it? I thought the discs are the same, but they are labeled differently on Play-Asia.

Bebpo

Banned
AVclub said:
So wait, only the US version will have the 10th Anniversary version of VF on it? I thought the discs are the same, but they are labeled differently on Play-Asia.

I'm pretty sure it's a 2nd disc. P-A also lists the Asia version as having the 10th anniversary thing as well. Dunno...I'm willing to bet it's just the PS2 disc being reprinted either on a blu-ray or just on a standard PS2 dvd that's played through BC.

kiun

Bebpo said:
I'm pretty sure it's a 2nd disc. P-A also lists the Asia version as having the 10th anniversary thing as well. Dunno...I'm willing to bet it's just the PS2 disc being reprinted either on a blu-ray or just on a standard PS2 dvd that's played through BC.

yup its probably on a second disc, as the 10th anniv. is a bonus only for the first print of the import VF5.

AVclub

kiun said:
yup its probably on a second disc, as the 10th anniv. is a bonus only for the first print of the import VF5.
But Play-Asia only lists the US version as having the 10th Anniversary bonus. So how can it be an import only thing?

kiun

AVclub said:
But Play-Asia only lists the US version as having the 10th Anniversary bonus. So how can it be an import only thing?

Thats not the US version. The one you linked is the Asian version (note the Hong Kong flag)

the 10th Anniversary is included on the US version VF4 Evo on PS2

Japan got VF4Evo 6 months before the US did, so they got a seperate disk for the 10th anniversary while we got it included on the disk (with the stupid censorship of Vanessa's 1P costume)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 and Fighting Stick 3 are in stock/shipping from Play-Asia right now!

You can also get the Fighting Stick 3 at GameStop/EB Games... I purchased mine from Fry's Electronics.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
gutter_trash said:
the 10th Anniversary is included on the US version VF4 Evo on PS2

Japan got VF4Evo 6 months before the US did, so they got a seperate disk for the 10th anniversary while we got it included on the disk (with the stupid censorship of Vanessa's 1P costume)

So what's been censored for US VF5? Shun's bottle? anything else?

AVclub

kiun said:
Thats not the US version. The one you linked is the Asian version (note the Hong Kong flag)
Weird. So the "Asian version" with the 10th Anniv. bonus costs US$59.90 but the other one without it costs US$69.90. I'm really confused. I guess I'll just wait for the US release.

Edit: Found this:
van_1p_3dan.jpg

Ravenn17

MarkMan said:
Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 and Fighting Stick 3 are in stock/shipping from Play-Asia right now!

You can also get the Fighting Stick 3 at GameStop/EB Games... I purchased mine from Fry's Electronics.

How is it? Is it sufficient enough for a beginner?

nextwish

I went out and bought my PS3 along with VF5 and a couple of other games yesterday, very pleased with my purchase!

The PS2 VF1 game was included (on the left of the picture), but came separately in it's own PS2 case. I prefer it that way actually!

VF5.jpg

llTll

Banned
nextwish said:
I went out and bought my PS3 along with VF5 and a couple of other games yesterday, very pleased with my purchase!

The PS2 VF1 game was included (on the left of the picture), but came separately in it's own PS2 case. I prefer it that way actually!

VF5.jpg

man i am jelouse [ not the ps3 i have one ] but i want VF5 so bad :(

i am broke. i spent my money on 360 because i couldnt resist :(

I might check this title out. The only problem is that I never really played any fightign games before(never was really interested). Do you guys think this is a good place to start? I would hate to plunk down $60 for a game, that I might not like. Maybe I should check out Tekken 5 first, and see if I am into this genre..

Dazzyman

I think the problem with VF series is plenty choose Akira for their first character and it can put you off as you need to know more about counters and precision power moves. If you want to get into it easier choose someone like Jacky as he is easier to learn combo's with as a new player. Then once you get used to how it plays (as you have to get used to pressing a guard button on VF) you can move onto likes of Akira or Lau/Pai if you dont want to stick to his advanced moves or dont like his style.

The beauty of VF series though is everyone can enjoy it as their is a loads of different styles. You can button mash at the easier levels but dont expect to win against a good opponent. Myself it is my fav fighter series with SF2 zero second. I enjoy the counters and styles more than learn a massive combo of Tekken (I like Tekken but I find it too easy).

I think to put VF series in a nutshell is its easy to start out as all you have is block button punch and kick but it will take you years to learn everything, if your going to start somewhere you might as well start with the best VF :eek:)

If anyone needs any guides you can get them here as well for each character

http://virtuafighter.com/commands/index.php

Buying Tekken to see if you like Virtua Fighter is like buying Unreal Tournament to see if you like Halo.

Besides, VF has a great tutorial mode to get you started. Tekken is just mashing until you go out of your way to actually learn the game.

nextwish

Some pics of the box and manuals. The back definately says 1080p, too bad my television at the moment is a piece of junk, can't try it out.

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

more pics coming soon ...

I asked this question in the Tekken 5 thread too, but this thread seems to be more active.

Anyway, are the Hori Fighting Stick Threes any good, because I am a fighting game noob and I want to have the authentic fighting game experience, but I don't want to spend $180on a pair of sticks. Will the Pro 3 be sufficient for my needs, and will it work well with Tekken 5 as well as VF5?

Dazzyman

Yep totally different styles, you can for example win in VF with very few hits.

As for the sticks. I prefer a proper VF series for the series and for me if I have to buy a new one (if my VF4 evo one wont work with Elecom adaptor on PS3) I will be ordering that one. I have a Hori PS2 stick also (SC2 one) and I always found it less responsive on VF4 evo.

When my VF5 arrives (which will probably be next Monday at earliest as im in UK) fron NCSX I will get some 1080p pics done like I did with Tekken :)

Edit - Just to say thanks for the pics m8, really is good to see it has dual language thru ought

nextwish

Yes, I hate my TV too, pls dont rape me! (I'm getting a Bravia X series soon)

I havent had time to play it at all, just cracked open the case right this moment.

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Only three more days...

I read that playing in Japanese and English results in different CPU characters in the quest mode. Is there any truth to this?

I just went and ordered the VF stick from Play-Asia even though I won't get the game or the console for at least a month. But once I get it, I don't want to spoil my experience by playing with a pad...

my Wii has arrived, so i owe my friend money because he picked it up for me.

I will stick the NA release of VF5 to need exceed in too many expenses this month

Nextwish`: good job in getting VF5 so quick, that`s what I call fast!!

Bebpo

Banned
NCSX got theirs. P-A said allocation on the VF stick is about 60-70% of pre-orders filled while, the rest are filled next week.

Also since the 10th Anniversary disc is a PS2 game it won't play on US PS3s. All Asia versions come with it, 50% of Japan versions come with it.

Lyte Edge said:
Only three more days...

I read that playing in Japanese and English results in different CPU characters in the quest mode. Is there any truth to this?

Makes sense sorta. Obviously in the Japanese version there'd be no problem having both, but in the English version you can't have all the kanji names of the Japanese players. Meh, your save game should cross-over, so just toggle the language option every few days and play different players :)

RavenFox

Banned
nextwish said:

VF5.jpg
*drools*

edit: Holy Shit 1080P!!

lunlunqq

nextwish said:
Yes, I hate my TV too, pls dont rape me! (I'm getting a Bravia X series soon)

I havent had time to play it at all, just cracked open the case right this moment.
* bunch of pics

数码彩霸!!!:)

kiun

Since the Bonus Disc only works with JP PS3/PS2, I'm wondering if anyone wants to sell theirs ?

I'll be interested purchasing one.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
KTallguy said:
If you just find a copy of VF4 Evo for the PS2, all of that content is included on the disc, I'm pretty sure.

It is. VF 10th Anniversary is located inside the option menu.

Bebpo

Banned
RavenFox said:
C'mon guys where are those pics? Also if anyone has some 1080p love to give then by all means give it.:D

I'll have 720p pics tomorrow if that's good enough for you :p

Are the Hori sticks any good? I am not a huge fighter guy, but I want to use a stick. Is the Hori janky? I am not going to notice those minute delays, or stiffness that the hardcore guys will notice, but I just want a stick that isn't janky.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DenogginizerOS said:
Are you getting an arcade stick to go with it or are you just using the sixaxis?
Unfortunately, probably just the sixaxis for now. Theres a few other games I want to get (mainly in march) so I might be short on money this spring. :/

One day I'll have the sticks, thats for sure.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bad_Boy said:
Unfortunately, probably just the sixaxis for now. Theres a few other games I want to get (mainly in march) so I might be short on money this spring. :/

One day I'll have the sticks, thats for sure.
I'm in the same boat. I am getting F1, Motorstorm, and Crackdown all within a short time of one another. VF5 may have to wait for my being able to afford the stick. I am a bit hesitant to run out and get VF5 since I don't know anyone in the area that plays regularly. No online is a bummer.

Bebpo

Banned
snack said:
Are the Hori sticks any good? I am not a huge fighter guy, but I want to use a stick. Is the Hori janky? I am not going to notice those minute delays, or stiffness that the hardcore guys will notice, but I just want a stick that isn't janky.

The cheaper Hori stick (fighting stick pro) is fine for casual play but that's about it. I had one when I was living in Japan and sold it when I left for $10 because it was a pretty crappy stick and I wasn't going to bring it back with me. Main problems I had was that the buttons are really mushy. The Hori RAP3 though is great stuff. I have the RAP2 and it's an excellent stick that I have no qualms with. I'm just getting the official stick this time around over using my RAP2 because I think the official stick has a very cool "look" to it and I've never used Sanwa parts before, which I hear are incredible, so I'm looking forward to that.

Okay...what's the difference between the HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3 and the Virtua Stick High Grade?

I need to know ASAP as I might change my order because I had ordered the Virtua Stick High Grade?

Thanks...

Top Bottom