• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I'm kind of late to this one, but I picked up Art Style: Orbient yesterday and I think it's a beautiful game in its simplicity. I had the GBA version and I think it's actually a better fit on the Wii due to the improvements and only needing the A and B buttons - I can relax quite easily while slowly gliding through the levels.

I think I'm getting that same feeling I got from Endless Ocean, where the scale and the mood and the solitude can make me feel rather uneasy - level 10 in particular with that GINORMOUS planet and the music that accompanies it really bought a feeling of being out in space and the enormity of it. I also love love love picking up satellites and trying to add more to the music it plays when that happens, it's soooo soothing.

One of my better 600 Points spent.

Capndrake

Rlan said:
CapnDrake, any idea on if High Voltage Software plan for any European WiiWare releases? Even this, being published by Yukes, appears to have no plans for a European release.
We've asked them pretty much every time they released a new game in the US and every time they said they're still looking for a publisher. So not anytime soon I guess :(

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Arizona, North Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania...

I feel like I'm missing some sort of gimmick here. I also feel like they are hinting at a college sports related game...

Capndrake

Yeah, I think it's C64 games.

Commodore is a place in Pennsylvania, and the founder of Vanderbilt University was Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Capndrake said:

Commodore is a place in Pennsylvania, and the founder of Vanderbilt University was Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt.

well, "we're no longer arbitrarily denying you content we could have easily given you six months ago" is hardly a surprise gift. then again, we are dealing with nintendo.

joedick

Capndrake said:

The song Brick House is by the Commodores.

Somnid

Stumpokapow said:
well, "we're no longer arbitrarily denying you content we could have easily given you six months ago" is hardly a surprise gift. then again, we are dealing with nintendo.

That was on Kaasa's plate not Nintendo's.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Capndrake said:
500 in Europe.

We really need sub-500 games...

I wonder if there's any chance of old computer support beyond the C64...I mean, I truly doubt it, given how we got C64 support in the first place, but it -is- nice to dream.

Perhaps Infogrames will wake up and realize they are sitting on a giant back catalog that would look nice on the Wii VC.

Conrad Link said:
Where heck is Smash Brothers? >_>

March. May, if you happen to have the misfortune of living in Europe. Mario Golf's long absence from the PAL Virtual Console is a sign that Nintendo 64 titles will no longer be near simultaneous releases.

jjasper

If it is a Commodore game I might have to buy it no matter the quality considering I have never ever played a Commodore game in my life.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, another case solved by NeoGAF! Good work fellahs.

I've bought a few C64 games now, but they have been personal favourites of mine from days of yore, such as Nebulus and Mayhem in Monsterland. I wonder how well they will do with you 'mericans? They're pretty dated.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
eh, having never owned a C64 it's hard for me to get excited about it. Furthermore, my interest in early computer games (we had a Tandy Color Computer 2) is more about the computer gaming aspect of them (Zork, Ultima III, Ultima IV, King's Quest/Sierra, etc).

We'll see.. I might bite on one or two just because... would be much more awesome if they released Amiga games instead.

Which is kinda funny in a sad way, I remember wishing they'd release N64 Smash on the VC before Brawl to hype it up. :lol Now its a year later and we're expecting it for Brawl's anniversary? Lol. ;(

I can't believe its almost been a year already.

I'm impressed, guys. Good work. Now I need to go listen to that Retronauts episode so I can have some idea of what is worth looking forward to.

Yes Boss!

Segata Sanshiro said:
Lifeforce is pretty awesome, I'd bite if I didn't already have the PSP Salamander Collection.

Good game on PSP but I'm tempted to bite for the convenience of VC since the PSP port takes a bit of time to queue up.

Looks like a pretty good port on NES and something I missed as a child.

Jme

Capndrake said:

Not just a place in PA -- Commodore, PA is right on route 286.

And it's worthwhile to note that Vanderbilt's sports mascot is the Vanderbilt Commodores.

Still can't figure out the significance of "AZ to NC" though.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I can't help but be pessimistic so somehow I expect the coming 18 weeks to be 1 C64 game and 1 Wiiware game.

I'm hoping the addition of Commodore 64 titles will cause Nintendo to go back to two VC games per week. No offense to C64 aficionados (there are even a few games I'm interested in), but I think I might spontaneously combust if we have several, or even one, single game Commodore 64 Virtual Console weeks.

pakkit said:
GAFs ability to guess cryptic clues that PRs give out never ceases to amaze me.

It's not all that cryptic. Then again, I went to an SEC school, so the Vanderbilt Commodores was a dead giveaway.

RedBoot

FFantasyFX said:
I'm hoping the addition of Commodore 64 titles will cause Nintendo to go back to two VC games per week. No offense to C64 aficionados (there are even a few games I'm interested in), but I think I might spontaneously combust if we have several, or even one, single game Commodore 64 Virtual Console weeks.

I really hope so. Then again, one C64 game a week isn't much different than the one Master System weeks we've been having, and at least I hope that we'd be getting better C64 games than Enduro Racer and some of the Alex Kidd games they seem to have lined up soon.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Lifeforce is pretty awesome, I'd bite if I didn't already have the PSP Salamander Collection.

I don't know, I love the salamander collection just as much as I did on Saturn because of Salamander 2, but I think the NES Life Force was better than either the arcade Salamander or Life Force on their own. NES>Arcade rule in full effect with this one for me. I will definitely be getting this one.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
A Twisty Fluken said:
I don't know, I love the salamander collection just as much as I did on Saturn because of Salamander 2, but I think the NES Life Force was better than either the arcade Salamander or Life Force on their own. NES>Arcade rule in full effect with this one for me. I will definitely be getting this one.
Huh? NES Life Force is on the PSP Salamander Collection.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
A Twisty Fluken said:
It is? Do you have to unlock it? I know mine has arcade Salamander, and arcade Life Force (plus Salamander 2 and Xexex).
Arcade Life Force is Arcade Salamander. They didn't put the exact same game on the collection twice. The Life Force on the collection is the NES version.

Eh I bought the Salamander PSP collection for XEXEX.
Shows how much I care for that series.(Though to be fair if someone told me they only bought the Gradius collection for Gaiden I would not disagree)

Shig said:
Arcade Life Force is Arcade Salamander. They didn't put the exact same game on the collection twice. The Life Force on the collection is the NES version.

You're both correct and not at the same time. Life Force was the name of the American straight arcade release of Salamander, but it was also the name of the enhanced arcade version released in Japan, so there were two arcade Life Forces, American and Japanese, with the former being Salamander and the latter being an enhanced rerelease with several changes (the powerup system, music, changed art). It's extremely confusing. The Life Force on Salamander Portable is the Japanese Arcade Life Force.

The NES version was an amalgam of Japanese Salamander and Japanese Life Force, mixing elements from both.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
JSnake said:
EarthBound isn't coming. Ever.

http://starmen.net/ebvc/

Sad, but not altogether unexpected. Earthbound has a serious following of rabid fans, I'm quite sure they really wanted to release it if there weren't potential legal issues.

Oh well, at least we got the Mother 3 fan translation right?

JSnake said:

That is not good news at all. Though it does shed some light on the inner workings of Nintendo. A part of me wants to side with Nintendo of Japan. I hate the censorship of information and especially something like Earthbound's cultural references that seem so much a part of the game. Another part of me wishes they'd find a way to release it just so those fans could have something good happen.

And the fact that it wasn't even supposed to be rated? Geez. It's like a cruel joke to EB fans.

Cheesemeister said:
That's odd, I could've sworn NCL called the shots.

NCL does call the shots. That's why they're refusing to change the game. NoA does seem to have some leeway in what is released in their market (see Disaster: Day of Crisis), so I can also imagine NoA executives listening to their effing lawyers and deciding not to release the game here after NCL refused to make any changes. The only thing that doesn't make sense is why NCL hasn't released an unchanged version of Mother 2 on the Japanese VC yet. That situation doesn't seem to jibe with the account given at Starmen.net.

JSnake

FFantasyFX said:
NCL does call the shots. That's why they're refusing to change the game. NoA does seem to have some leeway in what is released in their market (see Disaster: Day of Crisis), so I can also imagine NoA executives listening to their effing lawyers and deciding not to release the game here after NCL refused to make any changes. The only thing that doesn't make sense is why NCL hasn't released an unchanged version of Mother 2 on the Japanese VC yet. That situation doesn't seem to jibe with the account given at Starmen.net.

Hey you're the guy who doubted me when I said EB wasn't coming to VC and I cited the same reasons given in the Starmen article. Am I redeemed now?

JSnake said:
Hey you're the guy who doubted me when I said EB wasn't coming to VC and I cited the same reasons given in the Starmen article. Am I redeemed now?

No, JSnake, you'll never be redeemed. :lol I believe what I said is that everyone should take what you report with a grain of salt, and I hold that opinion based on a whole swath of prior actions. I never said everything you say would be wrong - even a stopped clock is right twice a day. And to be absolutely clear - I'm still not entirely convinced Starmen's report is fully accurate - I'd still like to know why NCL hasn't released an uncensored Mother 2 on the Japanese VC if what they report is correct.

JSnake

FFantasyFX said:
No, JSnake, you'll never be redeemed. :lol I believe what I said is that everyone should take what you report with a grain of salt, and I hold that opinion based on a whole swath of prior actions. I never said everything you say would be wrong - even a stopped clock is right twice a day. And to be absolutely clear - I'm still not entirely convinced Starmen's report is fully accurate - I'd still like to know why NCL hasn't released an uncensored Mother 2 on the Japanese VC if what they report is correct.

Oh, you wound me. :'(

mollipen

Glad for the folks that like C64 stuff that it seems to be coming our way, but all I can think of when hearing that is the chance that the one VC title a week not being something I care about has now increased even more. :(

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Wait, Nintendo's hyping a surprise.

Maybe it could be--

JSnake said:

nintendo, i hate you so much.

I mean, I should be used to this, but it never stops hurting. ;_;

Life Force is okay, and all, but the lack of EarthBound just depresses me too much to muster much enthusiasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom