• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Wasn't expecting Pop Up Pirate either, really.

Hmm... hopefully we'll get some impressions of Onslaught soon eh Drake? :)

Somnid

Capndrake said:
EU WiiWare update:

-Onslaught (1000 points)
-Pop-Up Pirate! (500 points)

Was not expecting Onslaught this soon :D

Need impressions. Hopefully it turned out decent, 1000pts wouldn't be bad for a mediocre multiplayer FPS.

Capndrake

Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
Where is Snowboard Riot? Wasn't it planned for Feb in Europa an Oneslaught for March?
It was, guess they've just jumbled it up a little (Again). Snowboard Riot was originally actually planned for January in Europe before being pushed back to February.

maxmars

Okay I'm up for taking one for the team. Is any fella with me for Onslaught? I want to play it online (preferably co-op), supposedly four peeps can play at once.

Capndrake

Rlan said:
You sound like Nintendo actually has this shit organized :lol
Hudson does :p
maxmars said:
Okay I'm up for taking one for the team. Is any fella with me for Onslaught? I want to play it online (preferably co-op), supposedly four peeps can play at once.
I've bought it.

maxmars

I've played maybe an hour out of it, and it's indeed crap so far. I'm talking about Onslaught of course.

Controls are ok, they are zapper-friendly too which is nice.

Graphics are pretty bad; first and foremost art direction is bland, the enemy "grunts" don't look menacing at all (some even resemble pac-man, wtf?) and the surroundings so far are all made of generic gray rock.

I have seen some stutter which is an accomplishment in itself (the environment is pretty bare).

Playing online I've seen exactly one boss and it was nice -- better 3d model, nice effects for the attacks.

You always run through a tunnel or combat in the middle of an opening. The bugs at normal difficulty do not pose you much of a threat (think real life bugs, and you are armed with full automatic assault rifles and bazookas).

You can't take cover as there's nothing to cover behind.

I'd say if you want to play some FPS, expecially multiplayer, get COD WaW, it's +inf times better.

Capndrake

It can actually get hard, I've died in defense missions and against bosses multiple times already (On Normal!). There's five difficulty levels, the hardest two have to be unlocked.

Single player really isn't too special, I guess online will be the deciding factor.

Also, another OFLC update:
-Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars (SMS)
-Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (MD)

sfog said:
ESRB update:
Pulseman

Yes!

I've been dying to try this. Does Game Freak or Sega currently own the IP? Maybe if it's successful on the VC, maybe GF will actually stray away from Pokemon again and make a DS or even a Wii sequel.

Hope Pulseman and Onslaught are this coming week's NA update. I actually really want to try Onslaught, it looks like a nice, small FPS that you can actually play online with others!

And BTW, if not already mentioned, the person who made those Onslaught playtest videos conirmed the option of turning off those annoying voices. :D

sfog

I've been dying to try this. Does Game Freak or Sega currently own the IP?

I'm pretty sure it's Sega's property. And you should definitely try it; it's an excellent action-platformer.

maxmars

Capndrake said:
It can actually get hard, I've died in defense missions and against bosses multiple times already (On Normal!). There's five difficulty levels, the hardest two have to be unlocked.

Single player really isn't too special, I guess online will be the deciding factor.

As for online, I have three options: check online stats, play unranked match, play ranked match. The matches I played were quite boring as I wandered around killing random bugs. I did not see defense missions, or any other kind of mission for what matters.

What am I doing wrong?

Capndrake

maxmars said:
As for online, I have three options: check online stats, play unranked match, play ranked match. The matches I played were quite boring as I wandered around killing random bugs. I did not see defense missions, or any other kind of mission for what matters.

What am I doing wrong?
Free Battle is co-op, Ranking Battle is the score mode.

maxmars

Capndrake said:
Free Battle is co-op, Ranking Battle is the score mode.

Ok so I think I played a ranked match. Which wasn't very exciting.

Perhaps co-op is better? Is it more difficult? Did you play it?

Capndrake

maxmars said:
Ok so I think I played a ranked match. Which wasn't very exciting.

Perhaps co-op is better? Is it more difficult? Did you play it?
Couldn't find anybody else when I searched for a game a few times. It's just all the missions from single player, should make the harder missions easier.

maxmars

Capndrake said:
Couldn't find anybody else when I searched for a game a few times. It's just all the missions from single player, should make the harder missions easier.

Ahh ok thanks. Yesterday it was pretty late (1:20 am) so I didn't get to read the manual. I don't have much will to further play it (I'd rather play WaW), but in case, I'll try to unlock more missions.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Neo Samus said:
Anyone find it weird that Pulseman's ESRB rating is valid for Wii AND Genesis???? Was Pulseman on the Sega Channel?

I think it was, actually... but this is great news, any which way. I just hope the releases tend to pick up a bit.

Neo Samus

djtiesto said:
I think it was, actually... but this is great news, any which way. I just hope the releases tend to pick up a bit.

Oh I agree, I will buy when it comes out. I just found it really odd because this is the first time (that I've noticed) where they listed the previous system.

Fake Edit: Oh Clayfighter 63 1/3 was the only other one.

I just completed LIT, and although I think I got all of Rachel's phone calls, I don't think I got the "good" ending. So here are two questions:

1) What is the game's "good" ending?
2) What are the game's unlockables?

sfog

Anyone find it weird that Pulseman's ESRB rating is valid for Wii AND Genesis???? Was Pulseman on the Sega Channel?

Yes, it was on the Sega Channel fairly frequently, and it wasn't translated on it either, retaining the bits of Japanese text here and there. There have been several other VC games that had Wii appended onto their earlier ratings, like Harvest Moon, Breath of Fire II, Donkey Kong Country, and a few more.

TheGrayGhost said:
I just completed LIT, and although I think I got all of Rachel's phone calls, I don't think I got the "good" ending. So here are two questions:

1) What is the game's "good" ending?
2) What are the game's unlockables?
If you get all the phone calls you unlock dark mode (levels are timed) as well as the ability to play as Rachael. If this didn't happen then you probably missed a phone call. Remember if you have to answer the phone and complete the level on the same attempt.

Jme

I grabbed LIT yesterday and played the first 5 levels + boss. So far, I love it! Very fun, nice twist on what could have been a boring puzzle game. Great use of the Wii remote (phone calls).

I have 500 points that have been sitting around forever so I'm thinking about getting one of the Art Style games. Any one in particular that folks here raally like?

Capndrake

ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED (AND ONE SURPRISE COMING) TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 16, 2009

Outer space meets inner space at the Wii™ Shop Channel this Presidents Day. A new WiiWare™ title will have you soaring across the astral plane, while a vintage NES™ shooter for the Virtual Console™ invites you to battle your way through the innards of an alien creature. Choose a hot new WiiWare game or a Gradius spin-off. It’s what the presidents would have wanted.

In other news, the Wii-kly Update has a fun surprise coming soon for all our fans. We can't tell you the secret just yet but maybe we’ll offer you some hidden clues. From AZ to NC, if you’re a fan, your applause could rattle your walls, windows, door. You might enjoy this news whether you live in a brick house or Vanderbilt dorm. Even people living along Route 286 in rural Pennsylvania ought to be excited. It’ll feel like a bunch of birthday greetings and, really, who could ask for more? But that's about all we can say for now, so be sure to check future Wii-kly Updates.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week’s new games are:

WiiWare

Evasive Space™ (Yukes Company of America, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Wii Points): Launch a one-of-a-kind mission to rescue the stars. The universe is going dark, and it’s up to you, Konki the Stellar Guardian, to set things right. Dr. Dark Matter and his roving band of space thieves have stolen many of the Constellation Stones that make up the heavens. It's time to suit up, power up, recover the Stones and once again bring light to the night sky. Using the Wii Remote™ controller's unique pointer capabilities, simply point and thrust Konki through 20 dangerous time- and collection-based missions in the harshest of environments. Navigate through narrow, mazelike astral caves riddled with space worms, steam pipes and mining drills. Explore vast space stations while avoiding turret fire, mines and huge crushing gears. Weave through cluttered asteroid fields and gaseous planetary rings. Evade the hazards, pick up precious items and ship upgrades, and save the Constellation Stones before the night sky is lost forever.

Virtual Console

Life Force (NES, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone – Mild Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): This classic shooter, originally ported to the NES in August 1988, is a spin-off of the seminal Gradius series. Pilot the Vic Viper through six stages of intense action, alternating between horizontally and vertically scrolling environments, and take on wave after wave of enemies. Destroy particular enemies throughout the game (which takes place within the body of an enormous alien) to release power-up capsules and equip your ship with your choice of more powerful weapons, extra speed and shields. Utilize the power-ups carefully, though, as a fearsome guardian lurks at the end of each stage and won't be easily defeated. You can go it alone or bring along a friend to take on the challenge simultaneously. Do you have what it takes to save your planet?

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Capndrake said:
(AND ONE SURPRISE COMING) TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 16, 2009

In other news, the Wii-kly Update has a fun surprise coming soon for all our fans. We can't tell you the secret just yet but maybe we’ll offer you some hidden clues. From AZ to NC, if you’re a fan, your applause could rattle your walls, windows, door. You might enjoy this news whether you live in a brick house or Vanderbilt dorm. Even people living along Route 286 in rural Pennsylvania ought to be excited. It’ll feel like a bunch of birthday greetings and, really, who could ask for more? But that's about all we can say for now, so be sure to check future Wii-kly Updates.

Somebody fill me in--what the hell is this talking about?

Plinko said:
Somebody fill me in--what the hell is this talking about?
That kinda sounds like they're talking about a basketball game, but I can't for the life of me think of one that would have us as excited as that makes it seem.

Rlan

Will be interesting to see how this goes. The most similar game on digital download would be Shred Nebula on XBLA and it didn't sell very well. "Space Shooter" hasn't been overdone on WiiWare, we'll see how it goes.

CapnDrake, any idea on if High Voltage Software plan for any European WiiWare releases? Even this, being published by Yukes, appears to have no plans for a European release.

Capndrake said:

Democracy is coming to the VC!!! Nah, idk. But it would be cool if they gave us a selection of titles to vote on and let us choose which games go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom