• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Hm, Lit and Mercs are both games I haven't really heard of, yet people seem to be excited about.

Intriguing!

lyre

Updated the first post with Lit and Mercs with screenies; I'm not sure if I'm gonna post make legacy posts to maintain history of releases.

Chumly

A Link to the Snitch said:
Actually, disregard my bad post. For whatever reason, I thought it was that Eternity's Child game.

This actually looks awesome, and is exactly what I'm looking for in WiiWare.
At first I was like :( then i was like :D

Is there any other Impressions out besides shidoshi's? Sounds good so far.

bryehn

Even LIT's credits are awesome with the flashlight. Just saw Bozon's name on the credit roll, quite a large team worked on this one it seems...

Ok, I have a new favourite Wii game. Reminds me of the crappy PS2 games I love like Obscure II or RAW DANGER in terms of production.

Been through about 5 rooms now and I love it. Great music, voice acting, fun puzzles. Think I'll take thetime to review this one.

Everybody please buy LIT. I haven't played it, though I think I should be able to in a few weeks. I just ask that people buy it. WayForward deserves your support.

Jiggy

I'm not sure why I'm so apprehensive about MERCs considering that I have nineteen VC games just counting space shooters and run-and-guns and whatever you'd like to call Turrican, but it probably has something to do with the first comment on VC-Reviews saying that it should take less than half an hour to beat.

Is it at least really difficult?

Jiggy said:
I'm not sure why I'm so apprehensive about MERCs considering that I have nineteen VC games just counting space shooters and run-and-guns and whatever you'd like to call Turrican, but it probably has something to do with the first comment on VC-Reviews saying that it should take less than half an hour to beat.

It's not too bad, but it does have two modes. The arcade mode, which is your standard run and gun fair with new weapons and lots of death. And then Original mode, which is a story mode, where you have to explore through the levels trying to track down the members of your squad, each of which comes with their own weapons and life bar. Each member has one life.

samratty

Jiggy said:

Don't be apprehensive. Mercs is awesome! I predict you'll enjoy it. I still play it from time to time on my Megadrive.
It's quite a lot of fun to play through multiple times. It isn't long, but it has arcade design so you'll probably feel like improving yourself.

Dragona Akehi said:
Delete the useless Nintendo Channel like I did! I hate the stupid fridge too, but LIT is worth it!

It's the most useful channel! If you must, go ahead and delete it. But it has so many good videos and information.

Hmmmm... having never heard of LIT, it looks really interesting, and the price is right for an impulse purchase. I've yet to personally download a WiiWare game (although I've convinced friends to get World of Goo), so this may be my first foray.

So apparently, if you miss a phone call in Lit and beat the level anyway you can't go back to the level and answer the phone unless you start a new game. What kind of BS is this?

donny2112

Dragona Akehi said:
Delete the useless Nintendo Channel like I did!

It's interesting to watch at times, and it has the DS demos. I plan on getting Lit (I've been looking forward to it) and will do fridge reshuffling, if I have to. I'd just rather not have to.

I thought I had read/heard (IGN Podcast?) that there was some dissatisfaction in the sales of WiiWare games. I have to think that the lack of easy storing of these games is a significant factor there. For example, I still need to get Arstyle: Orbient at some point. :lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, you guys are selling me on MERCs; I'll be sure to check it out when I get around to picking up Wii points. Length isn't really that much of an issue for me since it seems like it'll be about on par with a Metal Slug game, which is a good length for an arcade-style run and gun shooter.

Once again, my wallet suffers a critical hit. D:

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Huh. Lit looks interesting, but I can't say that I'm sold on it just yet. I'll do some more reading/vid watching.

I downloaded LIT after watching the two new videos on the Nintendo Channel. It's quite a bit of fun, and is another great addition to the growing library of awesome WiiWare puzzlers.

I've been playing it for the last hour or so. :D

OK time for some short impressions to get people interested:

I'm up to
the cafeteria with the janitor boss
, which I can't quite figure out yet.

So thus far:

When you start up the game you're greeted with Jake entering the room and you are given control.

Control Stick: Move Jake (dur)

The A button is context sensitive. If you're in front of some slingshot ammo you press A to pick it up. Otherwise the A button is used for your selected tool (such as the flashlight)

Z button: Over the shoulder mode (you can use tools while in this mode. Useful for slingshot aiming)

B button: Switch items (including Flashlight/Slingshot/TV remote)

So the point of the game is to reach the next room, which is a door with a red light over it. The first puzzle has you break windows, in order to transverse the room and get used to the logic of the gameworld.

You really have to think about which method to use to get further. I usually end up scouting the room for a bit with my flashlight before moving.

Some puzzles rely on successfully chaining window breaks with more slingshot ammo in order to proceed. Some puzzles rely on a bit of speed too, but I'd rather not elaborate.

So thus far:

Positives:
Really nice puzzles and mechanics

Good boss designs so far

Satisfying to figure out the room

Negatives:
You're dropped in the game without any instructions (I had to read the online manual to understand what to do)

One certain aspect of the gameplay involves answering phones which then is output to the wii remote speaker. If it's off, it DOES not output to the television speakers. (It should.)

Sometimes the game is REALLY picky about where you can step. I died a few times because I was just too far off the path (but it didn't seem like I was while playing)

Neutral:

It does rely on some 'trial and error' gameplay. If you mess up and miss with your slingshot you'll have to restart the stage. Some sort of "rewind" option would have been a good idea. However if you properly scout the room from a safe spot you shouldn't have to resort to 'trial and error' at all.

Overall: It's fun. Really fun. Definitely worth 800 points, despite my negatives above, which are really nitpicks once you start playing the game.

Dragona Akehi said:
OK time for some short impressions to get people interested:

I'm up to
the cafeteria with the janitor boss
, which I can't quite figure out yet.

I just passed that boss a little bit ago. Got stuck a few rooms later and then my Wiimote batteries died so I decided to call it quits for a bit.

Game is pretty awesome. Some of the production values are a little low, but it's still great fun. GAF needs to jump on this game and help fund Shantae Wii ;p

Chumly

IGN only gave it a 7.1 :(

Even though Lit's caused a ton of stress during my review run of the game, I'm impressed with the creative concept enough that I'm willing to deal with the annoying inconsistencies and repetitive trial-and-error. The whole "use the lights" mechanic is refreshingly unique, and there's definitely a sense of satisfaction after you've figured out the room's solution.

markatisu

Downloading Lit now, deleted Star Solider R to free up space (have not played that in a few months so it was not a big deal)

botticus

Just beat the first boss in LIT a few minutes ago. I'd agree with Dragona on the trial-and-error bit, that it's a factor of how lazy you are. If you take the time to scout the room, you won't have any, if you just jump in, you'll be restarting levels a lot.

I also read the manual first, just to see what the controls were, pretty helpful in that regard.

Judging by the 20 minutes it took me to get through the first sixth, I'm expecting it to be a good 2-3 hour adventure depending on how quick you are with puzzles and how complex they get by the end.

Most importantly: it's fun!

got Lit. It's pretty fun. It bothers me that i step one pixel off the lit walkway and i have to start the level all over again, but what can you do. Gonna have to use my regular nunchuk instead of my Kama (octagonal gate should help quite a bit)

mollipen

Dragona Akehi said:
You're dropped in the game without any instructions (I had to read the online manual to understand what to do)

See, I considered that a positive. *heh* I liked that it's just BAM, game starts, and you have to figure out what to do.

It does rely on some 'trial and error' gameplay. If you mess up and miss with your slingshot you'll have to restart the stage. Some sort of "rewind" option would have been a good idea. However if you properly scout the room from a safe spot you shouldn't have to resort to 'trial and error' at all.

There is a bit of trial and error in the game, which is something I might have seen as an annoyance, but LIT reloads each room very quickly and we're talking one small room to deal with versus say doing a decent chunk of a platformer or something then dying due to having a situation not at all be understandable the first time through.

shidoshi said:
See, I considered that a positive. *heh* I liked that it's just BAM, game starts, and you have to figure out what to do.

There is a bit of trial and error in the game, which is something I might have seen as an annoyance, but LIT reloads each room very quickly and we're talking one small room to deal with versus say doing a decent chunk of a platformer or something then dying due to having a situation not at all be understandable the first time through.

As I said the "negatives" were really minor, and really more about getting used to the game's mechanics, which happens very quickly.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
beje said:
So that's another week they're not getting my money. Not unless they update SMS, MD, NeoGeo and NES games with a propper 60Hz mode (or optimize the 50Hz mode as SNES and N64 releases)

I won't be fooled again.
Sonic 3 (MD) it's not that bad, but I guess it's just one game.
Sonic 1, Gunstar Heroes, Kirby Adventure and Samurai Showdown II are all awful (to name a few), I feel robbed :-/

ivysaur12

Banned
I really like LIT. It's pretty simple and requires some trial-and-error, but it seems to be pretty good. Having to shake the Wiimote to recover battery is really stupid, though.

Andrex said:
:lol Bet Matt didn't wanna touch it cause of Boz.

That WOULD have been weird. I'd be sitting there giving him back rubs as I usually do, peanut oil in hand, and he'd be asking me about tips for beating a boss or something.

Better for everyone involved if the game is reviewed by someone coming in fresh. I love making games, and (obviously) don't want to leave doing that on the side, but once it gets in the way of a fair review score, that's when it's time to quit it. Matt could have reviewed it (none of them played it previous to today), but it made sense to have it go up to our SF offices and not down in LA where it's just Matt and I.

The telephone conversations are so awesomely bad :lol I can't even tell if the game is supposed to be taking itself seriously or if it's just a big joke against emo people.

I played through level 18 and the challenge seems to be ramping up pretty nicely. I was stuck on the third boss for a while but I checked the manual and it gives you a pretty big hint on how to beat it. Seems like the game's gonna be over too soon, though.

So, is it safe to say that if you enjoy properly designed trial and error gameplay, you will probably love it? Also, what framerate does it move at?

abstract alien said:
So, is it safe to say that if you enjoy properly designed trial and error gameplay, you will probably love it? Also, what framerate does it move at?

It's either 60fps or 30fps I can't tell (because I wasn't looking for it). Never ever had a hitch on the framerate at all.

And yes, if you like properly designed "trial and error" you'll love this. The best part is that it isn't really trial and error. If you sit from your safe spot and plot the room with your flashlight the solution (or at least your first step) will jump out at you.

nincompoop said:
"The telephone conversations are so awesomely bad I can't even tell if the game is supposed to be taking itself seriously or if it's just a big joke against emo people."

Hmmmmm...somewhere in between maybe? :)

nincompoop said:
"I played through level 18 and the challenge seems to be ramping up pretty nicely. I was stuck on the third boss for a while but I checked the manual and it gives you a pretty big hint on how to beat it. Seems like the game's gonna be over too soon, though."

You haven't seen bosses 4 or 5, not to mention the last 5 levels. Those should keep you busy for a while. Plus you unlock Dark Mode once you've beaten the game, and that gets very brutal very fast.

AdamTierney said:
Hmmmmm...somewhere in between maybe? :)

You haven't seen bosses 4 or 5, not to mention the last 5 levels. Those should keep you busy for a while. Plus you unlock Dark Mode once you've beaten the game, and that gets very brutal very fast.
MAKE SHANTAE WIIWARE I WILL GIVE YOU ALL OF MY MONIES

Dragona Akehi said:
Negatives:
To be honest, this sounds so good to me. I love that feeling of being completely lost and trying to figure out how things work. Im probably just weird though :lol

Dragona Akehi said:
It's either 60fps or 30fps I can't tell (because I wasn't looking for it). Never ever had a hitch on the framerate at all.

And yes, if you like properly designed "trial and error" you'll love this. The best part is that it isn't really trial and error. If you sit from your safe spot and plot the room with your flashlight the solution (or at least your first step) will jump out at you.
Nice! Thanks for the info, Im about to jump in.

People keep missing the parts about my "negatives" being that they're nitpicks at best (other than maybe the tricky footing where one time you can stand somewhere and another time it kills you). :p

nincompoop said:
MAKE SHANTAE WIIWARE I WILL GIVE YOU ALL OF MY MONIES
How much ya got?
abstract alien said:
To be honest, this sounds so good to me. I love that feeling of being completely lost and trying to figure out how things work. Im probably just weird though :lol
Nope, I feel the same way. That's why we made the game this way. :) You'll see if you buy it. Although we step you into the game through a few easy puzzles first, right from the first menu you're on your own.

markatisu

On Level 9 now of Lit, this game is pretty awesome. Some puzzles take some real thinking through. The phone calls are so b-movie bad it just goes great with the soundtrack and atmosphere

I do not mind the dying parts (not much different then when you fuck up in Zack and Wiki or any other puzzle game), and the controls for me are not an issue so not sure what IGN was moaning about. If I die because I walked off the light area I realize its my own stupid ass fault

This game is totally worth the 800 points
The best part is that it isn't really trial and error. If you sit from your safe spot and plot the room with your flashlight the solution (or at least your first step) will jump out at you.

I agree, if you start off and just use your flashlight you can determine a lot of where you should go, which in the later levels (so far) you really have to do with only 1 window and a small box to move around in.

I am also enjoying that every so often you get new things to work with, it starts off with a slingshot, then you get a tv remote, a cherry bomb, then you have to work utilizing motion sensor lights and being able to only have so many lights lit at one time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom