• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
lyre said:
You can easily find the answer for that with gaf's built-in search engine. This is also a lesson to be learned why people should stay out of dumb threads
or even dumb subforums >_>
. :p

Yeah, that is how I found out how Huelen was banned. I suppose I'll do the same for Danthrax now...

Neo Samus

Capndrake said:
ESRB update:

Life Force Konami Digital Entertainment Everyone Mild Fantasy Violence Wii
Genghis Khan II KOEI Corp. Everyone 10+ Mild Violence Wii

Also, sorry, Japan isn't getting Galaxy Force II for Mega Drive next week (They got it this week), it's Dragon Slayer.

I wonder if Genghis Khan II is the genesis version or the SNES version?

Neo Samus said:
I wonder if Genghis Khan II is the genesis version or the SNES version?

So far, Koei has released the SNES versions of Nobunaga's Ambition (Japan only, for now) and Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV. So, until we get a contradictory data point, I would assume all Koei titles are NES or SNES games.

Andrex said:
Yeah, that is how I found out how Huelen was banned. I suppose I'll do the same for Danthrax now...
I tried that. I got bored after about 5 minutes. Kinda makes me wish for a system where we could see a list of who was banned on what day and for what reason.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bmf said:
I tried that. I got bored after about 5 minutes. Kinda makes me wish for a system where we could see a list of who was banned on what day and for what reason.

A simple User was banned for this post. would be just as good IMO. But yeah the only thing I found was him posting in a Whore-age thread. Got too bored to look into it too, to be honest. :lol

Iwata reiterated the plan to "fix the storage problem" "with SD cards" in Nintendo's quarterly report Q&A posted yesterday. He wouldn't commit to a date of course, just that it's set for spring and again adding (as he did at the Oct conference) "Thank you for your patience," maybe indicating he gets that fans are sore at being inconvenienced for so long and that this is the most anticipated firmware update EVAR? This was in response to the question of when players would get the "500 point network promotion."

Teknoman

Andrex said:
A simple User was banned for this post. would be just as good IMO. But yeah the only thing I found was him posting in a Whore-age thread. Got too bored to look into it too, to be honest. :lol

I think that one topic got ALOT of people temp banned.

But yeah, the SDcard upgrade firmware needs to hurry up.

I guess I'll ask this in both VC threads in hopes of an answer...my apologies to those who happen upon my question in both threads.

So I wonder if someone can help me decide between Dynastic Hero and Wonderboy in Monster World. I know they're basically the same game, but here are some differences I remember hearing about:

-Dynastic Hero has better audio quality, but worse musical composition
-Dynastic Hero lacks parallax scrolling
-Wonder Boy has an infuriatingly cheap version of the final boss
-Wonder Boy gives you a game over when you die, but Dynastic spawns you at an inn (really curious about this one. Someone on gamefaqs said this, and I'd like confirmation, as this is something that would matter to me)
-Dynastic Hero has a bizarre looking megaman beetle main character

Have I hit all the differences? Has anyone actually played both who can offer an opinion? Or does it really not make much difference as they are so similar?

Jiggy

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I guess I'll ask this in both VC threads in hopes of an answer...my apologies to those who happen upon my question in both threads.

So I wonder if someone can help me decide between Dynastic Hero and Wonderboy in Monster World. I know they're basically the same game, but here are some differences I remember hearing about:

-Dynastic Hero has better audio quality, but worse musical composition
-Dynastic Hero lacks parallax scrolling
-Wonder Boy has an infuriatingly cheap version of the final boss
-Wonder Boy gives you a game over when you die, but Dynastic spawns you at an inn (really curious about this one. Someone on gamefaqs said this, and I'd like confirmation, as this is something that would matter to me)
-Dynastic Hero has a bizarre looking megaman beetle main character

Have I hit all the differences? Has anyone actually played both who can offer an opinion? Or does it really not make much difference as they are so similar?
-I wouldn't even say that about the musical composition. If anything, I'd give composition to The Dynastic Hero by a small margin--but overall, both games have good-but-not-great music which is mostly just there. (Prominent exception: TDH's tropical theme. It's actually a cool theme independently, but amazingly out of place for just how bombastic it is in the context of the rest of the soundtrack.) I think TDH's audio quality pushes it over the top.

-I'm not sure what areas of both games would showcase this, so I can't check...

-Yes. I'll probably never beat Wonder Boy in Monster World, partly because the final boss is what it is and partly because I can't even motivate myself to try. On the flip side, TDH's final boss is probably too easy--but I think that's better than not being able to beat the game at all.

-Checked on this and yes, the GameFAQs poster was correct. You do lose money in TDH, though--seemed to be about 10% to me.

-Yeah, although it's more noticeable during the intro scene than the actual game. Wonder Boy still gets the edge for a better-looking sprite, though.

Thanks Jiggy. I think I'll go with Dynastic Hero. Was this the song you were referring to(at the 3 minute mark)? It is quite, er, enthusiastic:lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1BwZDR_z8Y

As for the difference in parallax scrolling, it seems minor, but compare this video of Monster World to the dynastic one I linked to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ38Ss73Tsk
You can notice the houses moving independently from the backgrounds, and the flowers at the 4:30 mark in the foreground of Monster World also scroll. Aside from that, and the music, (which, as you said, seems good-not-great in both) they seem identical. So I will go for wacky tropical song/easier end boss.:D

I'm a terribly lazy gamer and even I could finish MW. So that should give people hope at least.

I remember seeing a clip of it in the JPN or whatever it was version with NO spikes in the final boss and thinking WTF, that would be so much easier. :lol

Somnid

Yeah, I think Captain Drake's idea might have been pretty solid of releasing it at the 1 year Brawl anniversery. I didn't call that one so well, but there's always hope. If he's right my condolences to Europe.

I think Clay Fighter might be what goes up Monday.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ok, I said I had good feelings about the release last week, and it payed off in spades.

I'm feeling EXCELLENT about this week.

Jiggy

I don't know if predicting something long forgotten counts as "good feelings" per se.
That said, I certainly want Ogre Battle.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Odd.

Tomorrow's WiiWare game isn't on the Nintendo Channel list yet. However, NEXT WEEK we're getting Evasive Space.

That's unusual. Usually the WiiWare updates appear after midnight...

Didn't some news site claim we were getting Lit today?

Capndrake

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Feb. 9, 2009

No matter what you've got planned for Valentine's Day, the latest additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel have what it takes to get your heart pounding. A new WiiWare™ game transports you to an eerie high school haunted by supernatural villains, while a classic Virtual Console™ title puts you in the heat of battle as a heroic mercenary. And remember: Just because these games are made for single-player action doesn't mean you can't share the excitement with your special someone.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

LIT (WayForward Technologies, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Violence, 800 Wii Points): Dark creatures have taken over Jake's high school, and it's up to you to guide him through each classroom in order to be reunited with his girlfriend Rachael. Existing light sources must be used smartly to create bridges of light for Jake to cross. One false step and Jake gets pulled into the darkness. Along the way he'll encounter twisted versions of his school's faculty, which must be battled in order to advance. LIT is a horror/puzzle game that requires the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers. It contains 30 levels, five boss battles, replay modes and several unlockables, including multiple endings, Dark Mode timed challenges and an unlockable character.

Virtual Console

Wolf of the Battlefield™: MERCS (SEGA GENESIS, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Mild Violence, 800 Wii Points): Following a rash of terrorism outbreaks and increasing opposition from guerilla fighters, the U.S. government has decided to hire a group of professional mercenaries to undergo secret missions, battling through enemy lines to go where no ordinary soldier would dare to go. Based on the popular arcade game, the SEGA GENESIS version of MERCS lets you play as a MERC and also adds an original mode, allowing players to choose from five different characters. Take no prisoners as you shoot, drive jeeps and tanks, and clash against huge bosses to accomplish your mission.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Wow, Mercs! That's actually....unexpected and very cool.

I wonder where Strider is?

Ghouls n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, and now Mercs. I believe that once Strider hits(as it should), that will complete the series of Capcom ports made by Sega for their Genesis. Uh, except for Chiki Chiki Boys. But I doubt anybody remembers or cares to remember that one.

Capndrake said:
WiiWare

LIT (WayForward Technologies, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Violence, 800 Wii Points): Dark creatures have taken over Jake's high school, and it's up to you to guide him through each classroom in order to be reunited with his girlfriend Rachael. Existing light sources must be used smartly to create bridges of light for Jake to cross. One false step and Jake gets pulled into the darkness. Along the way he'll encounter twisted versions of his school's faculty, which must be battled in order to advance. LIT is a horror/puzzle game that requires the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™ controllers. It contains 30 levels, five boss battles, replay modes and several unlockables, including multiple endings, Dark Mode timed challenges and an unlockable character.
Hmm... could it be?
Shantaecheers.jpg

Azure J

Oh shit, LIT is out? Of all the days for me to not have any money. :lol

Also, everyone here better buy it and support WayForward so we can see that Shantae Wii game sooner rather than later. >_>

shidoshi said:
Does everybody have me on ignore or something? Or do people just not read threads?
I'm easily distracted and end up staring at your avatar's teeth. :p

Edit: But, in all seriousness, your review has me quite excited to try the game.

pakkit

Banned
evilromero said:
Hehe. 1 VC game again. Luckily I stopped looking forward to the VC releases a while ago. LIT looks like it may be cool.
But...it's MERCs. Seriously guys, this game > you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom