• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdamTierney said:
Nope, I feel the same way. That's why we made the game this way. :) You'll see if you buy it. Although we step you into the game through a few easy puzzles first, right from the first menu you're on your own.
Ok, Ill be frank. I bought it, and its fucking awesome :lol I know its early, but I think the love bug bit me.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just wanted to mention that Bubble Bobble Wii has been released for Wii Ware in Japan! Downloading now...

EDIT:

OK, so it's got several modes:

-Standard Map: The classic game, for up to two players.
-Arrange Map: New(?) maps, for up to four players!
-Super Standard Map: The same classic maps, but with harder enemies. The first few maps I tried had the same enemy type; they were a little more aggressive and can shoot fireballs.
-Super Arrange Map: I assume it's like the above.
-Expert Map-1: This is DLC for 200 points. Appears to be up now.
-Expert Map-2: Ditto, but I don't think it's available yet.

You can choose to play these modes in either Play Mode or Ranking Mode. The Rankings have listings for Japan and Worldwide, so that confirms an English release.

The game's graphics are decent enough. Maps are 2D, player and enemies are 3D and animated decently at best. I'm not too sure about the jump animations though. You get the classic Bubble Bobble theme in the standard map modes and a new(?) theme in the arrange maps.

Seems pretty good to me so far.

I'm really, really enjoying LIT. That's exactly the kind of games that I think is perfectly suited for WiiWare. Love the atmosphere.

Is the game in widescreen or not? I can't even tell how it's supposed to look like by switching ratios :lol

Edit: 4:3 it seems. Would've been great in widescreen.

mollipen

Dragona Akehi said:
People keep missing the parts about my "negatives" being that they're nitpicks at best (other than maybe the tricky footing where one time you can stand somewhere and another time it kills you). :p

I didn't miss it, I was just, you know, saying that I liked it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DavidDayton said:
Then, pray tell, on which prior day have we seen worse than 1 WW + 1 VC?

November 13, 2006 was a pretty crappy Monday. Nothing came out.

mollipen

Oh, and about the IGN review. First, I don't at all understand the complaint about the TV remote. As soon as you pick it up, you use it, and you know which TVs turn on in what order. How hard is that?

Also, not to brag or anything, but there was only like one or two rooms where I had to die more than once or twice in order to figure out how to solve the room. Their "failing over and over" makes it sound like the game has way more trial and error stuff than it does.

The only time I really got stuck was on one of the bosses, and I got stuck on him to such a degree that it is utterly shameful. Not because I didn't know what to do, just because at that point I just had no ability to do it. *heh*

Lyte Edge said:
OK, so it's got several modes:

-Super Standard Map: The same classic maps, but with harder enemies. The first few maps I tried had the same enemy type; they were a little more aggressive and can shoot fireballs.

It's probably Super Bubble Bobble mode, which is always part of an official Taito Bubble Bobble game. Beating Super Bubble Bobble nets you the best ending in all cases.

Chumly

Somnid said:
Either the Wiiware thread is dead and this is a super-mega thread or the impressions should go in there.
The official Wiiware thread is dead. This is the thread for all impressions of VC, Wiiware, DSiWare. Theres the super thread of bitching also!

Meesh

I can't believe how fantastic this game sounds, everyone seems to enjoy it. Usually I don't pay much heed to Wiiware but in this case, I'll make an exception...

I almost feel like I need it, I don't think that way very often anymore about games...damn it, +1 tomorrow!!!

DavidDayton said:
Then, pray tell, on which prior day have we seen worse than 1 WW + 1 VC?

On January 5th of this year there was only one WiiWare (Sandy Beach) and one Virtual Console (Kirby's Dream Land 3) release. On January 26th there was only one WiiWare (Niki - Rock 'n Ball) and one Virtual Console (Wonder Boy in Monster Land) release. So, this is the third time North America has received only two games this year. And, of course, prior to the WiiWare launch, there were five single game Virtual Console weeks.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
FFantasyFX said:
On January 5th of this year there was only one WiiWare (Sandy Beach) and one Virtual Console (Kirby's Dream Land 3) release. On January 26th there was only one WiiWare (Niki - Rock 'n Ball) and one Virtual Console (Wonder Boy in Monster Land) release. So, this is the third time North America has received only two games this year. And, of course, prior to the WiiWare launch, there were five single game Virtual Console weeks.
nincompoop said:
January 28 of last year

I had forgotten that we had just had some 2 game weeks... I was thinking some unnecessary second VC title had been releasd both times... and the 1/28/08 single release may go down as the worst ever, although 1080 is good enough to balance it out somehow. I remember something about a REALLY lousy week of releases in early 2007, but I can't recall what they were.

DavidDayton said:
I remember something about a REALLY lousy week of releases in early 2007, but I can't recall what they were.

New Year's Day 2007 update: Urban Champion & Baseball. Undoubtably the worst North American update in the pre-WiiWare era & certainly in the running for worst update of all time.

d+pad

plank said:
Too bad Wiiware games like these aren't advertised. It's really unique and entertaining.

Too bad WiiWare in general isn't advertised (by NOA). I mean, you've got Dr. Mario, Tetris, the ArtStyle games, FFCC: My Life as a King, Lost Winds, World of Goo, this game and more. And don't even get me started on NOA's lack of marketing re: VC...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
It's kind of sad that the most Nintendo has done to call attention to VC and WiiWare is make the channel icon show the newest games. I wish Nintendo would actually put some effort into calling attention to their downloadable services. Maybe we'd get better updates that way.

Can't wait to see Bubble Bobble released in North America. Cave Story first, though, please. :D

Iam Canadian said:
It's kind of sad that the most Nintendo has done to call attention to VC and WiiWare is make the channel icon show the newest games. I wish Nintendo would actually put some effort into calling attention to their downloadable services. Maybe we'd get better updates that way.

Not that the Nintendo Channel is much of a solution, but yeah, the Nintendo Channel does a very good job of providing information not just for WiiWare releases, but also for Wii, DS, and the VC.

d+pad

TheGrayGhost said:
Not that the Nintendo Channel is much of a solution, but yeah, the Nintendo Channel does a very good job of providing information not just for WiiWare releases, but also for Wii, DS, and the VC.

Unfortunately, Wii owners have to have their Wii connected to the Internet and have to have downloaded the Nintendo Channel for all of this to matter.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
TheGrayGhost said:

Well, the fact that you have to download the Nintendo Channel from the Shop Channel kind of defeats the purpose. What Nintendo needs to do is get people visiting that Shop Channel in the first place.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheGrayGhost said:

so does gaf :p

Finished Lit, the last boss was amazingly epic :eek:

The level before it sucked ass though, it wasn't even hard to figure out but it was frustrating as hell to pull off
you have to deal with a bunch of moving spotlights and turn on more spotlights which are just out of the visible range of the active spotlights, but the game is extremely picky about whether or not you're close enough to the lights to turn them on (remember, you can't actually see them) so most of the time you'll whiff and either be swallowed up immediately or you'll have to run back and forth with the active spotlight and try again. Also there's a ton of shit cluttering up the floor and you can't really tell exactly where it is unless you use the zoomed in view, but you really need the overhead view so you can see all the spotlights.
Whoever decided to use the A button both for items and turning on lights when the C button wasn't even used should be fired.

Solid game overall though, I give it an 8/10. Bring on Shantae Wiiware!

lyre

Chibbi Brady said:
Any impressions of Bubble Bobble yet?
I updated the first post to include Bubble Bobble Plus as well as other JPN WiiWare/VC content that just went up along with a link to Lyte Edge's impressions post on BBP WiiWare, as well as other relevant info about all updates.

lyre

Belated legacy post to maintain history:

__________Japan__________ (discussion begins with Post #666)

This week's JP WiiWare games (released Jan. 27)

Minna no Theater Wii (Fujisoft, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, ?? Blocks)
Babelfished description: If 'theater Wii of everyone' connects Wii to Internet, it is the software which with anytime can look at the image work in [sugu]. When it is not necessary to go to the debt in the rental shop, liking, it is possible to enjoy the image work of DVD picture quality level in the large screen of the television. As for the work which using the “utilization ticket” can purchase with the Wii point and see, the movie and animation, the variety, 3,000 or more such as drama! Because the work steadily & keeps being added being renewed, it does not flee!

Popple to Mahou Crayon (G-Mode, 1 player, 800 Nintendo Points, ?? Blocks)
Babelfished description: It is the popup adventure where 'Popple to Mahou Crayon' reads the picture book which springs out and keeps advancing. The [ku] it is and as for popple of the grommet [bo] , it is seeking [be] ones, it jumps in the various picture books, but it is perplexed and why picture book which is packed in story stops midway. Then it tries sewing the picture book with the crayon of strange magic, grasping the item in the picture book tries and/or when, change happens in the picture book and story keeps developing. Operating well, please make the story of the picture book complete.

Crystal Defenders R-1 (Square-Enix, 1 player, 1,000 Nintendo Points, ?? Blocks)
Babelfished description: But simple 'the WiiWare of the crystal which can enjoy the strategy defenders' series 1st feature. The crystal because of the protection [ru], character of various jobs such as sol jar and black demon Taoist will be arranged in the map, the monster which is imminent will be pushed down. While advancing the game, because it can learn rule little by little, the series it is relief even with the person who plays for the first time. Nintendo Wi-Fi connection was utilized, also the other prayer and the ranking which rivals score are in the midst of holding.

Okiraku Sugoroku Wii (Arc System Works, 1-4 players, 500 Nintendo Points, ?? Blocks)
Babelfished description: The Okiraku Sugoroku series every of large popularity feature it is 3rd. This time the family “or, becoming the [ku],” around it does the [ku] battle! The die it shakes with Wii remote control, it accompanies, it is to be it strikes back the weir, with Gathering the family and the friend, the y y the [ri] lifting you are not wrong it is the party game! We correspond to Nintendo Wi-Fi connection pay service, the new map and we are possible as additional contents to increase the new costume.

This week's JP Virtual Console games (released Jan. 27)

Getsu Fuuma Den (Famicom, Konami, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, ?? Blocks)

Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu II (PC Engine, Nihon Falcom Corp, ?? players, 800 Nintendo Points, ?? Blocks)
(no screenshots available)

This week's JP DSiWare games (released Jan. 28)

[soriteia] DSi (Nintendo, 1 player, 200 Nintendo Points, 6 Blocks)
Babelfished description: One person of the tramp which from former times is loved in the world you play and inside “[soriteia]”, especially famous recording two types “of spider” and “clone Dyck”. As for name there is no thing which is heard, as for the one you have played suitable many expectation. There is a function of halfway retention, anytime and just a little, it can play to each time when it is less crowded with ease anywhere. When (turning the reset button and power source to OFF, being automatic, it is retained) In addition, because present victory ratio and the number of total victories are recorded, method of enjoying which wins and saves number little by little. In addition, in order not to play too unintentionally, present time and entire [soriteia] time etc of that day are indicated.

Nintendo DSi clock (Nintendo, 1 player, 200 Nintendo Points, ?? Blocks)
Babelfished description: As for the Nintendo DSi clock series, it is the software which can use DSi as the clock. (Editor's note: No shit!) The clock is indicated in the upper screen, can set time in the lower screen, can set the alarm and can set time difference etc. In the future, 'also the Nintendo DSi clock' other than photo stand typing, it is the schedule which is consecutively transmitted.

Almost Day Route Figure 2009 (Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Points, 51 Blocks)
Babelfished description: Almost the daily [itoi] newspaper makes, appeared “almost route figure 2009 edition of day” appears with the DSi wear as an option item “of the day log almost”. Recording the route figure of the nationwide 7 city 6 areas of Tokyo, Osaka & Kobe, Nagoya, Sapporo, Fukuoka and Kyoto. The JR line, it is the route figure where each route of the private railway corporation and the subway has become one. Being handwritten, it searches station name, verifying the emphasis indication and the plural route traffic stations of the route with touch. Furthermore by handwritten memo and the fact that the photograph is stuck, you can customize in your own sufficient My route figure.

Art Style: PiCOPiCT (Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, 44 Blocks)
(no description available — there's a stupid-ass Flash site instead of copy-and-pastable text)
(no screenshots available — there's a stupid-ass Flash site instead of save-able pictures)

Art Style: SOMNIUM (Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, 6 Blocks)
(no description available — there's a stupid-ass Flash site instead of copy-and-pastable text)
(no screenshots available — there's a stupid-ass Flash site instead of save-able pictures)

Just a Little Panel de Pon (Nintendo, 1 player, 500 Nintendo Points, 43 Blocks)
Babelfished description: It is the action puzzle of the simple rule where [pon] inserts the panel in left and right with the panel and can apply, three or more turns off arranging vertically or side. 'With Just a Little Panel de Pon' by the fact that it had become the DSiWare, anytime and inserted the software anywhere and when liking without being able to apply, enjoying, reached the point where it can receive. Having DSi vertically, you can play with the stylus. Also it is possible (to be effective and to set the hand). In addition, with setting having DSi itself on its side, in order to play, be able to set, it's also possible to play with the buttons.

Just a Little Several Position Tie Plugs (Editor's note: What the hell??) (Nintendo, 1-4 players, 500 Nintendo Points, 38 Blocks)
Babelfished description: As for 'Just a Little Several Position Tie Plugs', being able to connect the bill where the number is written on the board, the go/shogi type puzzle game which rivals score. The computer in the partner it plays go/shogi alone, thoroughly connecting to Nintendo Wi-Fi connection, it plays go/shogi with the maximum of 4 people. Also the puzzle like stuffing shogi is recorded.

Just a Little [asobi] Large All the Thoroughly Tramps (Nintendo, 1-8 players, 500 Nintendo Points, 31 Blocks)
Babelfished description: The tramp game which can be enjoyed thoroughly 5 types is the software which enters. Besides the fact that it can oppose with the computer, if the Nintendo DS series itself of number of people part (DS/DS Lite/DSi) it is, using DS wireless communication, it can play with maximum of 8 friends. Five tramp games DS software 'Anyone [asobi] Large All' and 'Also [asobi] Large All' are recorded with anyone of the Wi-Fi corresponding world. However, it cannot communicate with these software. In addition, Wi-Fi opposition is not possible.

__________North America__________ (discussion begins with Post #791)

This week's NA WiiWare games (released Feb. 2)

Snowboard Riot (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone — Mild Fantasy Violence, 1,000 Nintendo Points, 271 Blocks)
This snowboard racing and battle game can be enjoyed by multiple players and is compatible with the Wii Balance Board accessory. In an intense scramble for first place, guide your character down the slopes while snatching up items to attack and defend against rivals along the way. Up to four players can battle and participate in various ranking modes via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

LONPOS (Nintendo, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Nintendo Points, 125 Blocks)
Looking for a puzzle game that anyone can play, but still offers plenty to master? Look no further than LONPOS, with its straightforward premise and large variety of puzzles to solve. Each puzzle revolves around a rectangular playing field of 55 spaces. Using a set of 12 pieces, the goal is to place every piece into the playing field, filling it completely. The higher the level, the more pieces you'll need to fit correctly into the playing field. Challenge yourself with two single-player modes or bring a friend to compete against or cooperate with. When you think your skills are worthy, use Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to check out how you compare with other LONPOS players or download additional puzzles and backgrounds.

This week's NA Virtual Console game (released Feb. 2)

Sonic Chaos (Master System, Sega, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Nintendo Points, 19 Blocks)
Play as Sonic or Tails in Sonic Chaos, which was originally made for the Sega Master System. Dr. Eggman (a.k.a. Dr. Robotnik) has stolen the Red Chaos Emerald to create nuclear weapons. This has thrown the remaining Chaos Emeralds off balance, causing them to transport to a parallel universe. As a result, Sonic's home, South Island, is sinking into the ocean. Speed through various levels in your crusade for the six Chaos Emeralds. Perform Strike Dashes and Super-Peel Outs as Sonic, or Spin Dash and Fly as Tails, and restore order in Sonic Chaos.

__________Europe__________ (discussion begins with Post #734)

This week's EU WiiWare game (released Jan. 30)

Pop Them, Drop Them Samegame (Hudson, 1-4 players, 500 Nintendo Points, 46 Blocks)
This simple yet engrossing puzzle game challenges you to clear matching blocks in sets of two or more, with the ultimate aim of clearing the entire grid. Challenge yourself in solo mode or compete with friends in modes like 'Fame Game', 'Shame Game' or the crazy free-for-all 'Blame Game'!

Family Glide Hockey (Aksys Games, 1-4 players, 500 Nintendo Points, 231 Blocks)
Get all the thrills of the popular table sport from the comfort of your own living room! Bash the puck using the Wii Remote and pull off trick shots with ease. The game also features fun minigames and supports up to four players, so the whole family can join in!

This week's EU Virtual Console games (released Jan. 30)

None, of course. It's a WiiWare week!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wow, I haven't joined this thread in a while. Tactics Ogre in Japan.. yes.. build upon my false hope of Ogre Battle-anything making it for a North American release.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't wait for Bubble Bobble.
Hopefully it won't be more than 1000 points in EU.

edit: wow, I see it's jus 800 points! Day1 etc.

Anybody tried Snowboard Riots with the BB?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm definitely buying LIT, but I really want to finish Cubello first. I just can't quite beat stage 6F. Aarrrgh!

Jiggy

TheGrayGhost said:
The problems with the Nintendo Channel as a source of information are that:
-the only people who would have downloaded it are those who have already gone into the Shop Channel
-you need to let it occupy entirely too much space on your Wii (which is a problem precisely because the people who would use it are those who've been in the Shop Channel and probably downloaded something or other, whether games or other channels)
-because it gives no immediate indication when it's updated, people would need to check it on a regular enough basis that they may as well just head to game websites

If in spite of these problems you'd still count the Nintendo Channel as a very good job of providing info, then I'd count many other places for doing bang-up amazing jobs at the same thing. :p

Mark D

All the comments about LIT have definitely got me interested. Gonna have to pick that one up.

I haven't really been paying attention to WiiWare since Mega Man 9. What are the best games since that was released?

Mark D said:
All the comments about LIT have definitely got me interested. Gonna have to pick that one up.

I haven't really been paying attention to WiiWare since Mega Man 9. What are the best games since that was released?
WORLD OF GOO!!!!!

And the Artstyle Games; Tetris and Bomberman

:Motorbass said:
WORLD OF GOO!!!!!

And the Artstyle Games; Tetris and Bomberman
This, plus Alien Crush Returns and Maboshi. Also Space Invaders Get Even is good if you excuse the ridiculous price structure and can figure out a way to clear 700 or so blocks.

Any word on whether LIT will make the jump to Europe? The WayForward website FAQ says that it's being looked into (or words to that effect) but the positive impressions are making me keen to try it out...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Lit is certainly looking like one of those "great deal" titles...I need to play it a bit more, and I have this feeling it will feel "too short" when I'm done, but it certainly feels more worthwhile than other things I could mention.

Jiggy

Pulseman? Now there's an import title which I felt confident would show up outside Japan eventually--until releases slowed to their current crawl and my faith wavered. Glad to see it popping up after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom