• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

Johnas

Amir0x said:
why even bother trying to say whether it's the best this or that ever

when i play it, just for a few minutes, i honestly don't care about coming to neoGAF to give the game some arbitrary label. I just think "wow, this is so great. Man the game just shot me out of a star past spaceships and yoshi and penguins and dry bones and rainbows. This is... so great."

I think my mind temporarily becomes mush, kinda reminiscent to that sorta warm feeling you get about thirty minutes after you pop a sleeping pill, but right before you fall asleep. Just peace. I'm digging into my drug analogies people, the GAME DEFIES CLASSIFICATION. BUY IT BECAUSE YOUR FACE WILL MELT FROM THE FUN.

That's the kind of game I haven't played in a couple of years honestly. Well, Twilight Princess was fairly engrossing, but really it's been since fall '05 since I've played a game and been just utterly sucked in with zero concern for the fact that it's 3 in the morning and I have to be at work in 4 hours. Jaded old gamers like myself need this every once in a while as a reminder of exactly why we started gaming.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
People are going to kill me for saying this, but this won't be my game of the year. Not because it is in some way inferior or something. It's obviously not. Layton and Zelda just absolutely blew me away this year.

I will say as someone who didn't care (but didn't hate) for M64 and hated Mario Sunshine, this, at least to me, is eons better than both of those games.

Amir0x

Banned
haven't played Layton, the opinions on Zelda:pH are well discussed in that thread, but I don't care to compare

this is too fun. I can certainly say that no other game this year has even approached the fun factor i had in the KIOSK DEMO of Super Mario Galaxy, so that's saying something.

Well, Orange Box is probably equal for value and Bioshock is second closest, but really again i have no motivation to compare.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
sp0rsk said:
<3<3<3<3

I was just thinking, it's nice to play a game like this on a console. Seems like, game after game of cynical genre pieces about one gritty comic book character esque guy shooting up the bad guys, something like a platformer is extreeeeeemely refreshing.

It feels like this game was ripped out of the late 80s/early 90s, back when platformers were in their prime and truly awesome. I don't see how anyone who likes a good platformer can hate on this game, but you know it's going to happen. :\

And I'm totally with you on this being better than SM64 and Sunshine. Was Galaxy made by the same people?

sprsk

Amir0x said:
haven't played Layton, the opinions on Zelda:pH are well discussed in that thread, but I don't care to compare

this is too fun. I can certainly say that no other game this year has even approached the fun factor i had in the KIOSK DEMO of Super Mario Galaxy, so that's saying something.

Well, Orange Box is probably equal for value and Bioshock is second closest.

I wouldn't dare compare it to either game. The reasons why I appreciate Layton and PH are completely different from why I like Mario.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
sp0rsk said:
Not because it is in some way inferior or something. It's obviously not. Layton and Zelda just absolutely blew me away this year.
in·fe·ri·or (n-fr-r)
adj.

1. Low or lower in order, degree, or rank.
2. Low or lower in quality, value, or estimation.

So you hate Mario AND you're a liar.

tnw

Banned
enh, whatever, I said the game was good. I'm allowed to criticize it. Once it's released where you live and it isn't sacred anymore people will start saying some critical things about it, just like with Super Paper Mario.

Anyway, yeah, the water is really nice. The little plantlings that emerge sometimes, and the way you have to shake the remote to traverse them is really quite fun. The vine trapese swings are also really fun too. The penguins are great too; they are a complete improvement on the ones in mario 64. The way they talk in Japanese was really cute. The penguins actually really remind me of the JR Suica mascot penguin :D

It's pretty fun shooting little star pieces around. You have to shoot them at the ground to pick up coins sometimes and stuff, and I really liked 'feeding' the stars star pieces. Pretty darn cute.

Rainbow Mario was pretty cool too!

I agree with Sporsk actually. It's a good game, but I enjoyed Tingle and Zelda more. Tingle had the cohesive world I was looking for with tons of really cool funny/cute moments.

kizmah

QTQqGSvVc.jpg

Dr.Hadji

sp0rsk said:
People are going to kill me for saying this, but this won't be my game of the year. Not because it is in some way inferior or something. It's obviously not. Layton and Zelda just absolutely blew me away this year.

I will say as someone who didn't care (but didn't hate) for M64 and hated Mario Sunshine, this, at least to me, is eons better than both of those games.

Zounds man, you got some wonk taste. But its nice that you're sticking with your Zelda PH opinion. Even after most everyone kind of roasted you for it.

Amir0x

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Zounds man, you got some wonk taste. But its nice that you're sticking with your Zelda PH opinion. Even after most everyone kind of roasted you for it.

come on let's not bring that in here PLEASE

we're all sorta agreeing and it's nice for once :lol

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
And I'm totally with you on this being better than SM64 and Sunshine. Was Galaxy made by the same people?

Yup pretty much. Well the SM64 team doesn't really exist. The SMS team was formed after the development of Majora's Mask.

The SMS team developed JB and Galaxy.

sprsk

Dr.Hadji said:

Yes, you have to understand though, I put the value of the opinion of Nintendo fans just above klan members. I wasn't offended too much.

Dr.Hadji

Amir0x said:
come on let's not bring that in here PLEASE

we're all sorta agreeing and it's nice for once :lol

I said it was nice. I like PH and I haven't played Galaxy yet, who am I to say anything.

Eteric Rice

tnw said:
enh, whatever, I said the game was good. I'm allowed to criticize it. Once it's released where you live and it isn't sacred anymore people will start saying some critical things about it, just like with Super Paper Mario.

Anyway, yeah, the water is really nice. The little plantlings that emerge sometimes, and the way you have to shake the remote to traverse them is really quite fun. The vine trapese swings are also really fun too. The penguins are great too; they are a complete improvement on the ones in mario 64. The way they talk in Japanese was really cute. The penguins actually really remind me of the JR Suica mascot penguin :D

It's pretty fun shooting little star pieces around. You have to shoot them at the ground to pick up coins sometimes and stuff, and I really liked 'feeding' the stars star pieces. Pretty darn cute.

Rainbow Mario was pretty cool too!

I agree with Sporsk actually. It's a good game, but I enjoyed Tingle and Zelda more. Tingle had the cohesive world I was looking for with tons of really cool funny/cute moments.

Eh, I don't think it's going to be bashed on to much. Wasn't SPM bashed on before it's release?

KLoNe

Banned
Enk said:
Hi this is Reggie,

I was just visiting my pal Enk at his mansion on top of Bubblegum Hill when I glanced at his computer and saw your post. I think this is a wonderful idea and fits well within our new Red Ocean philosophy. See we at Nintendo are starting to learn that what gamers really want is open worlds with tints of brown and dull greens, hip, modern slang, and above all, violence. We also noticed that this especially appeals to the younger demographic who feels they're "too cool" for wildly, imaginative games like Mario.

Because of your post, we at Nintendo feel the next Mario game will indeed be "mature" and "hip" for today's audience. We have also decided to give our western divisions control over future Mario products in conjunction with Capcom USA. New power ups will include: Junkie Mario, Prostitute Mario, Uzi Mario, and Burger King Mario. We hope you are proud of what you've accomplished in your one post as you have changed the direction of Nintendo FOREVER!

Sugar and spice,
The Regginator

Agree, wholeheartedly.

rhino4evr

sure this is old, but anyone else notice that 1up changed its preview from "giving it a 10" to "being incredible" BIAS CONFIRMED

EktorPR

Psychotext said:
Too much hype in this thread... if I play this game and it's a letdown I'M COMING FOR ALL OF YOU! :D

How the FUCK can it be a letdown? You know what? Opinions shouldn't matter...if you're a Mario fan and you don't like this game, then the problem is not the game's, but yours (I'm not talking towards you specifically, but in general). Its like saying Half Life 2 or Ocarina of Time are just "good"...c'mon! They're masterpieces in their genres, and everyone who disagrees should be shot in the head. I'm sure that after all the positive impressions and after all the great-looking vids and screens, the game will not dissapoint me. It's pretty much guaranteed to rock my world.

Mar

I'm surprised at the Japan stuff. This is the same country that has line ups for a new coloured stylus for the DS. No line ups for Galaxy and plenty on shelves just seems completely wrong. Are we ready to entertain the possibility that this game is a bomb and or the Wii fad really is, over?

To say I'm shocked is an understatement.

Mar_ said:
I'm surprised at the Japan stuff. This is the same country that has line ups for a new coloured stylus for the DS. No line ups for Galaxy and plenty on shelves just seems completely wrong. Are we ready to entertain the possibility that this game is a bomb and or the Wii fad really is, over?

well, blame... you know.

Mar_ said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. It could be evidence Japan is moving on from historical videogames. Although I have a feeling they'll pick this one up.

Mar_ said:

Yeah, what the hell is up with Japan?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Mar_ said:

I swear, the DS and its line-mania have spoiled us so much.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, just played the kiosk at a local Gamespot. This game is pretty fucking brilliant.

What shocked me is how much of a difference the 3-hits really does affect the game. Just bobbing around the planet it's not difficult to get hit by something, and then suddenly that warning buzzer is going off because your life is low and the savior coin is stuck in muck that slows mario to a crawl, all the while huge boulders are surrounding it like some rioting bike gang. Maybe they can translate some of that into Zelda next time?

The combat is cheapened though. Spin attacks against goombas make them pretty unthreatening...actually fine-tuned headstomps can be a bit difficult to actually line up, so spin n tap became the requisite standard. Almost cheapening the enemy encounters really... I found myself trying hard eventually not to use the win button, because it really is just that early on.

It really can't be overstated how -vast- the divide between this game and Sunshine really is though. Returning home I popped in SMS and shot through a couple stars to re-confirm. Visually, SMS is surprisingly slagging these days, but the real difference lies in the pacing, control, camera, and level layouts. Galaxy shames it's predecessor in an astounding manner.

Half my time at the kiosk was clicking through non-skippable cutscenes though...yuck.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
something something no lines! Japan WTF?

Trust me, this game sold tons. When I picked it up everyone in line was holding a copy of SMG. Most of the people who would play this probably couldn't line up at 8 in the morning for a nice photo op due to things like i dunno... school, work? Let me put this in perspective, the launch of Leopard had a 100+ person line at the apple store in fukuoka because they shut down the apple store early, and then had a grand launch at 6pm, thus allowing people to shuffle over there as quickly as possible after work/school. SMG wasn't released that way, so people came all day long to get the game. Moreover, the huge rack holding at least 200 copies of SMG at bic camera fukuoka was 1/2 empty by the time I got there (4pm). Definitely at least a well deserved 500k sold first week (even though it's a crime for anyone with a wii to skip this game).

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Brandon F said:
Yea, just played the kiosk at a local Gamespot. This game is pretty fucking brilliant.

What shocked me is how much of a difference the 3-hits really does affect the game. Just bobbing around the planet it's not difficult to get hit by something, and then suddenly that warning buzzer is going off because your life is low and the savior coin is stuck in muck that slows mario to a crawl, all the while huge boulders are surrounding it like some rioting bike gang. Maybe they can translate some of that into Zelda next time?

The combat is cheapened though. Spin attacks against goombas make them pretty unthreatening...actually fine-tuned headstomps can be a bit difficult to actually line up, so spin n tap became the requisite standard. Almost cheapening the enemy encounters really... I found myself trying hard eventually not to use the win button, because it really is just that early on.

It really can't be overstated how -vast- the divide between this game and Sunshine really is though. Returning home I popped in SMS and shot through a couple stars to re-confirm. Visually, SMS is surprisingly slagging these days, but the real difference lies in the pacing, control, camera, and level layouts. Galaxy shames it's predecessor in an astounding manner.

Half my time at the kiosk was clicking through non-skippable cutscenes though...yuck.

Did you notice that when you use the win button (spin) that you only get crystals? Try jumping because you get coins instead of crystals (or is it stars?).

Oh wow, you can spin under water and it shoots you forward?
Awesome, I always hated the swimming levels because of how slow you go.

Grecco

muramura said:
Definitely at least a well deserved 500k sold first week (even though it's a crime for anyone with a wii to skip this game).

Yeah all this talk of lack of lines is silly.

Reminds me of a similar one with the DS. :lol

Top Bottom