• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

oh how i miss the music of the old final fantasy``

ethelred

ronito said:
You know. I'm a Uematsu fan, have been one since the Opera scene in FFVI. However, I'm sorta glad that the whole of VG music has moved beyond the simple melody on a woodwind instrument above an arpgegation. That's not to say it needs to go into self important/overly ponderous crap we saw with FFXII. But still composers are really spreading the wings quite this gen with OSTs like Unlimited SaGa, Minstrel Song, Shadow Hearts 3, SotC, Katamari, etc.

I'm excited to see Uematsu come back. I don't think his old style will hold up to the standards today, if he sticks to it. However, I remember reading that he said he didn't feel that he could write the music he wanted to in FFIX. So let's see how he does with BD.

Tell us how you really feel.

ronito said:
You know. I'm a Uematsu fan, have been one since the Opera scene in FFVI. However, I'm sorta glad that the whole of VG music has moved beyond the simple melody on a woodwind instrument above an arpgegation. That's not to say it needs to go into self important/overly ponderous crap we saw with FFXII. But still composers are really spreading the wings quite this gen with OSTs like Unlimited SaGa, Minstrel Song, Shadow Hearts 3, SotC, Katamari, etc.

I'm excited to see Uematsu come back. I don't think his old style will hold up to the standards today, if he sticks to it. However, I remember reading that he said he didn't feel that he could write the music he wanted to in FFIX. So let's see how he does with BD.

Oh. Well, okay then.

brandonh83 said:
Can't please everyone.

Anyway, I think all the FF soundtracks* have plenty of strengths. I don't think they've gotten better or worse over time, FFXII included.

*except FFX-2, but that's not an FF game

FFX-2 has plenty of strengths, the problems come in in the weaknesses. The opening-credits piano theme and the Calm Lands music are two examples off the top of my head of actual good tracks from X-2.

Ranger X

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
no, Hamauzu-including soundtracks being superior to non-Hamauzu-including soundtracks is a universal axiom of mathematics. Hamauzu was not involved with SOTC ergo it is not even worthy of comparison, qed.

incidentally, Kawazu wasn't any more involved in FF2 than in FF1.

Ok i see. Noted down. :lol :lol

pkasho

ff3 soundtrack for DS is lovely.

I like melodies more than arrangements. Pre-3D FF soundtracks for me~

A lot of songs from the 3D FFs are great, it's just that the soundtracks aren't that good coz they're usually filled with crap that doesn't have any memorable melodies to them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
charlequin said:
FFX-2 has plenty of strengths, the problems come in in the weaknesses. The opening-credits piano theme and the Calm Lands music are two examples off the top of my head of actual good tracks from X-2.

Eternity is the opening piano theme...it's very good.

A lot of the music is just very uninspired. I do like the pop themes. ;)

Zack-Morris said:
I'm of the opinion that the music in FF Tactics is by far the best of the bunch. In fact, I'm listening to it at work now.

One of the best soundtracks ever for a FF game. FF7 is probably my favorite from the FF series. I also liked Ultimecia's theme in FF8(Premonition)

FFVIIs OST is the only Uematsu made soundtrack that I absolutely love, and I mean LOVE. The rest is either just really good or just mediocore so I never really understood all the love he got. Yasunori Mitsuda's soundtracks pretty much destroy anything Uematsu put out with the exception of FFVII.

Senretsu

Error2k4 said:
oh and you guys should check Kenji Ito stuff for the SaGa games specially Romancing Saga. dude is ****ing talented as well and his style is pretty similar to Uematsu imo.

I've heard his Romancing Saga 3 music, its good stuff! Definitly fits in with the heyday rpg music.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
RS last battle theme is ****ING godly. dunno about RS2 or RS3 :( I want to play them but playing a Kawazu game in japanese wouldnt be easy to put it nicely.

FF X's Normal Battle Theme is incredibly awful, sounds like what you could hear in the 90s on TV for stuff like Jeopardy or something. Even if you don't find it horrible, that's just NOT a battle theme.

As much as I worship and adore Uematsu's contributions for the older Final Fantasies, I wonder if he can still do something that great after having done so many similar compositions. I mean, how many different ways are there to arrange the same leitmotivs?

Like I remember watching the first gameplay trailer for Blue Dragon and there was this first battle... and haven't we heard all these themes a whole bunch of times before with just a few sutble variations?

I don't blame him for lacking in inspiration though, he can retire and be proud. Hope he can still offer something emotional and memorable for Mistwalker though. :)

Systems_id said:
FFVIIs OST is the only Uematsu made soundtrack that I absolutely love, and I mean LOVE. The rest is either just really good or just mediocore so I never really understood all the love he got. Yasunori Mitsuda's soundtracks pretty much destroy anything Uematsu put out with the exception of FFVII.

There is basically no conceivable way that FFVII can be honestly ranked as being in a superior category to every other FF soundtrack. The FFI-III soundtracks (especially III) are absolutely outstanding for composition on something as limited as the NES chip, FFIV is consistently solid throughout, and FFVI is much more ambitious (and successfully so) than VII, which is really pretty standard in most ways. VII's soundtrack is certainly solid and all, but categorically better than I-VI?

Powerslave said:
FF7 simply has the best soundtrack of them all.

I don't get it! :lol

When I hear people talk about the FF7 soundtrack I feel kind of the same way as when they talk about the game. Just as Cloud and Sephiroth (apparently) are > j00, so do I feel like the recognizable trifecta of Aeris' Theme/Highwind/OWA give the otherwise uneven FF7 soundtrack this auto-win quality compared to much more consistently impressive (and thematically rich) soundtracks he composed earlier, or the strides in orchestration and theatricality he made in FF8 and FF9.

charlequin said:
I don't get it! :lol

When I hear people talk about the FF7 soundtrack I feel kind of the same way as when they talk about the game. Just as Cloud and Sephiroth (apparently) are > j00, so do I feel like the recognizable trifecta of Aeris' Theme/Highwind/OWA give the otherwise uneven FF7 soundtrack this auto-win quality compared to much more consistently impressive (and thematically rich) soundtracks he composed earlier, or the strides in orchestration and theatricality he made in FF8 and FF9.

those three songs arent exactly my favorite. Try 'On that day, 5 years ago' , ' Oppressed people" , "Turks' theme" , Birth of god, Forgotten Capital......and the rest of the whole soundtrack. The music is just amazlingly composed.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
actually, FF7 ost aside from a few songs (battle themes mainly) is pretty weak imo. specially coming after FF6 ost.

Error2k4 said:
actually, FF7 ost aside from a few songs (battle themes mainly) is pretty weak imo. specially coming after FF6 ost.

Songs I like/ can remember from FFVII:

Aeris' Theme
Highwind Takes to the Skies
J-E-N-O-V-A
Jenova Absolute
Still More Fighting
Valley of the Fallen Star

Honourable Mention: Shinra Inc. Theme.

That's pretty decent. Nothing stellar, but decent.

Top Bottom