• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

oh how i miss the music of the old final fantasy``

mint

Banned
listening to rydia theme...trojan beauty..rebel army theme..wow..so much grandeur in these sheets..ffxii is good..but still the music of the past (ffi-ffvi) just destroys them all.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
when Uematsu was at his peak composing songs no one could touch him not Sakimoto or Sakuraba... I mean NO ONE.

oh and you guys should check Kenji Ito stuff for the SaGa games specially Romancing Saga. dude is ****ing talented as well and his style is pretty similar to Uematsu imo.

Red Scarlet

Did you find the orchestral version of that song from the other topic, mint? Check out the 2nd song I linked to, if you haven't.

Diablos

Well, FF7 and 8 had awesome OST's. The orhcestrated tracks for both games were also awesome. The FFT OST is great. Overall I think FF9's OST sucks... FF10's is so-so. FF12 has to be good at the very least, the FFT dudes did it.

FFVI is the only older FF OST that sticks out to me as being awesome. FFIV had some cool orchestrated/arranged tracks IIRC.

Error

FF4 ost aside from some cool tracks is pretty meh compared to FF3, dont get me wrong it's cool ost but I think ff3 has a better soundtrack.

Uematsu didnt do FFT ost. that's sakimoto

Diablos

Yes, but it's still in the FF series.

The point I was trying to make is that the more recent OST's are more memorable/enjoyable to me.

Red Scarlet

zmbomba.png

battalk.gif
dumbrichter.gif

If you do find the version of that song in the video, give me a hollar.

Diablos: Not everyone counts it as a part of the main series, more of a spinoff.

9 I think had the most songs I put on my favorites playlist, with 8 coming out last for the PS1 FF's.

*checks*
FF7-11 songs
FF8-12 songs
FF9-23 songs

Oops, 8 just edged out 7.

Diablos

For FF9, the tracks that are good are really good and the rest just SUCK.

Scarlet: Yeah well I do :p XII's OST was mostly done by Sakimoto, right? Are we not going to count FFXII's OST as part of the main series too? Or because it's in a numbered game, it's acceptable? Still a different guy, so whatever. That's how I see it.

Error

what the hell at that SOTN pic with bat alucard and maria... what's happening there? :/

Red Scarlet

The game lets him talk to her as a bat, but not as a wolf (you're stuck as a wolf until your MP runs out, then Alucard changes back and they start talking). It's just an 'oops' gif that isn't too big (for mint's "emergency" post and whatnot).

I count 12 as part of the series, yes. :p
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,X2,11,12. I don't include Tactics, Chocobo Racing, Mystic Quest, Crystal Chronicles, Adventure/SD, Legend/SaGa. 10 and X2 were done mainly or completely by people not named Uematsu, so it would be a little weird to count those and not 12.

Just like I count DQ 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 as that series, and not the Mysterious Dungeon, Monsters, and Sword games.

Error

haha crazy I didnt know that.

Diablos: FFT is NOT part of the main series I think that much is obvious.

I dont count X2 as part of the main series, it's a spinoff to me.

Red Scarlet

I count X2 since I count Serpent Isle as part of the Ultima series, and that seemed to be a bit more than an expansion from what I've heard about it (U7 Part 2).
Couvultima7Part2.jpg

Anyway, I like a decent amount of songs from each game's soundtrack, some more than others. I still find the battle songs in FF4 to be my favorites of each type of battle. They get me revved up.

Diablos

Error: Of course it's not, but it's still a part of Final Fantasy, since it, y'know, has FINAL FANTASY in the title. You're reading too much into my comment. What Tactics now shares with the main series is that Sakimoto has been a part of it and a numbered game, making him more relevant and more likely to be compared to Uematsu. So, therefore, I think he's earned enough respect to have all of his work which had anything to do with FF to date to be viewed as a significant part of the series, and where it has gone in terms of soundtracks. They picked the guy for a reason.

Ranger X

FF6 --- unbelievable
FF4 --- excellent
FF7 --- half the songs are excellent, half is crap.
FF9 --- No masterpieces but pretty much all good songs.
FF8 --- falling on the "meh" side. End boss best song ever.
FF10 -- Pretty generic.

Pre FF4 i don't give. Not their original sound at least.

Kaeru

Banned
Error2k4 said:
when Uematsu was at his peak composing songs no one could touch him not Sakimoto or Sakuraba... I mean NO ONE.

oh and you guys should check Kenji Ito stuff for the SaGa games specially Romancing Saga. dude is ****ing talented as well and his style is pretty similar to Uematsu imo.

What about Yasunori Mitsuda with his Chrono Trigger+Chrono Cross score?
Chrono Trigger has better soundtrack overall then any FF-sountrack, but Uematsu has better consitency when it comes to overall production.

Were the 'boss' battle songs of FFI in the original NES game? I can't help but feel they're different somehow...

That said, FF has always been a series with topnotch presentation, and that includes the music.

My personal favorite soundtrack is FF9's, but I've yet to play FF5 or FF3, so we'll see if that changes. Doubt it, though.

The original FF1 had only one battle music track used for bosses and normal encounters alike. Uematsu wrote three boss tracks for the WSC version, which were later arranged by Tsuyoshi Sekito for the PS and GBA.

Red Scarlet said:
I still find the battle songs in FF4 to be my favorites of each type of battle. They get me revved up.

The FF4 battle theme is the best one. :p

My wife played it way back in the day at her friend's house, and her little brother always wanted her to cast the "Pig" spell on the bad guys, so he'd sit there and sing "Pig piggy pig PIG pigetty pig" to the tune of the song in every battle. So now I just think of the FF4 battle music as the pig song.

JayDubya

Banned
Hrm. I rather like love tracks from every single Final Fantasy I've played. I don't think I can really dog on any of them. The older tunes have been revisited and upgraded on GBA plus been given some rather amazing homages with orchestras (20020220) and rock bands (Black Mages ftw!) and by fans on sites like Overclocked Remix (Jeremy Soule himself even made an awesome send up of Tina / Terra's Theme (also often the overworld theme).

I don't think I can really criticize any of them as being inferior in the music department, I can't think of a standout which mostly has music I didn't love.

I suppose I do have favorite individual tracks though, and the ones I listen to most often come from 6 and 7. 4 and 9 are close behind, and then everything else is just hodgepodge.

I take that back, I think I will slightly criticize FFX for being relatively musically sparse (guttural screaming Engrish aside :lol, there was a definite redundancy factor of the monks's choir and the drama drums), but the couple of really good tracks it has are used to very good effect (the At Zanarkand theme, how it builds before the Yunalesca fight, etc.)

all I know is that any soundtrack Masashi Hamauzu is involved with is automatically better than any soundtrack he is not involved with, much like any set has a smaller cardinality than its power set. so clearly, 13 > 10 > 7 > all others, the latter being so far below that it's not worth bothering to differentiate among them.

Ranger X

TheJollyCorner said:
....what?

Yup. Nothing did really stand out for me in this soundtrack. It's like i was listening that every game orchestral soundtrack or some music i've heard multi-billion times in movies.

Can't please everyone.

Anyway, I think all the FF soundtracks* have plenty of strengths. I don't think they've gotten better or worse over time, FFXII included.

*except FFX-2, but that's not an FF game

Ranger X

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
you're deaf.

lol More like having different tastes then you. Standing out orchestral music soundtracks this gen for me has been rare. My personal winner is Shadow Of The Collosus. Now that was standing out clear for me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The overworld theme in FF2j(the wacky Kawazu Famicom/Dawn of Souls game) is easilly the best part of that game. Wonderful stuff, particularly orchestrated on Origins.

Brandon F said:
The overworld theme in FF2j(the wacky Kawazu Famicom/Dawn of Souls game) is easilly the best part of that game. Wonderful stuff, particularly orchestrated on Origins.

I prefer 'The Rebel Army' or the theme for boss fights. The more 'zen' sounding one.

lol More like having different tastes then you. Standing out orchestral music soundtracks this gen for me has been rare. My personal winner is Shadow Of The Collosus. Now that was standing out clear for me.

no, Hamauzu-including soundtracks being superior to non-Hamauzu-including soundtracks is a universal axiom of mathematics. Hamauzu was not involved with SOTC ergo it is not even worthy of comparison, qed.

incidentally, Kawazu wasn't any more involved in FF2 than in FF1.

ronito

You know. I'm a Uematsu fan, have been one since the Opera scene in FFVI. However, I'm sorta glad that the whole of VG music has moved beyond the simple melody on a woodwind instrument above an arpgegation. That's not to say it needs to go into self important/overly ponderous crap we saw with FFXII. But still composers are really spreading the wings quite this gen with OSTs like Unlimited SaGa, Minstrel Song, Shadow Hearts 3, SotC, Katamari, etc.

I'm excited to see Uematsu come back. I don't think his old style will hold up to the standards today, if he sticks to it. However, I remember reading that he said he didn't feel that he could write the music he wanted to in FFIX. So let's see how he does with BD.

Top Bottom