• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OH TEH NOES. Wii *does not* come with component cable!

SuperPac

Drakken said:
Man, there's been so much conflicting information on the Wii. It's sad when you have NoA and NoE saying totally opposite things.

At this point, it's a game of telephone -- lots of things can get lost in all the communication going on right now. Until you see it listed on a press release or on an official Nintendo document, any of the talk of whether it will/won't is just that...talk.

Funky Papa said:
You know, for being a cheap console the thing is getting more expensive with every minute. Then again I am leaning towards the Wario64/Amir0x side.

With every minute? AFAIK CNET were the only people that said it would include a component cable, and they said to take it with a grain of salt. If you expected it, you expected too much, sorry.

papercut

This actually pisses me off more than anything else. I can deal with the Wii being $250 since it includes a game, I can deal with wiimotes being $40, but the cable just puts me over the edge. Are these things really that expensive to make?

skip said:
we thought about it while we had him on the phone, but I figured "hey, perrin kaplan said yes", so that was confirmation enough. I missed the denial by NoE though, who exactly said it wasn't, and how did they say it?

From IGN

IGN said:
IGN: Is the plan to keep Wii games region free? How about the online service -- will users be restricted to UK content, or will they be able to dip into say Japanese services if they prefer to?

David Yarnton: The Wii will be region-coded.

IGN: There was a report we had out of the US…

David Yarnton: No, that was a mistake… games and online services will be region-coded.
But it looks like Gamespot may have reconfirmed it, who knows, it's like some of these reps don't even expect these questions to come up and aren't prepared.

papercut said:
This actually pisses me off more than anything else. I can deal with the Wii being $250 since it includes a game, I can deal with wiimotes being $40, but the cable just puts me over the edge. Are these things really that expensive to make?
The cables themselves are probably cheap to make, though. But of course, there isn't a price on the cables.

SuperPac

ronito said:
I know I can buy my own. The problem is that Nintendo is going to leave the consumer feeling nickle and dimed.

Except that the vast majority of TVs include composite inputs, and the minority include component inputs.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Slurpy said:
Wow, this and the region-free shot down today. Unbelievable. I suppose I should have looked to reason and realized it was too good to be true. Damn clueless NOA spokespeople.

This guarantees 90% of people will use composite connections, even if their TV supports component. Considering the significant visual output between wii and the other systems, they could have softened the blow by throwing in component.

region free was shot down by NOE.. it was confirmed twice by different NOA spokepersons..

was it clarified yet?

if not, who is more trustworthy?

Owzers

Buying a new set of proprietary component cables for EVERY system is beyond a rip-off. I was dreaming that 360's hybrid cable would change this pattern, but nope, just the exception to the money-pit rule. These things better be cheap, but who knows, just one more accessory to overcharge more on to keep those profits up.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
SuperPac said:
With every minute? AFAIK CNET were the only people that said it would include a component cable, and they said to take it with a grain of salt. If you expected it, you expected too much, sorry.
What can I say, this is getting more disapointing every time I read about it. First it was the price of the console, now the double controller is kinda expensive (although this is not a surprise), there's no DVD compatibility, you pretty much have to buy the classic controller if you want to play certain games and now this unconfirmed? information.

Sorry, but I went from moderately interested to displeased.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
quadriplegicjon said:
who is chris remo? and why should his word be trusted over cnets ?
I heard his tears cure cancer, it's too bad he has never cried.

Seriously though, as far as I'm concerned he's very trustworthy.

$h@d0w

sillymonkey321 said:
Buying a new set of proprietary component cables for EVERY system is beyond a rip-off. I was dreaming that 360's hybrid cable would change this pattern, but nope, just the exception to the money-pit rule. These things better be cheap, but who knows, just one more accessory to overcharge more on to keep those profits up.

PS3 standard HDMI 1.3 spec cable FTW.

skip

my guess (and it's only a guess), is that NoA is right and NoE is mistaken, based on the whole "Wii CAN do region coding if people want to, but we're not forcing it."

of all the names invovled in this, I'm fairly certain perrin knows her shit the best.

edit - I mean, the fact that they don't even know what type of A/V cable is going to be in the box means that there's communication static eminating from NCL.

SuperPac

sillymonkey321 said:

360's hybrid cable still left people with S-Video TVs out in the cold to buy another cable. And for some reason (cost?) the Core 360 came with composite only, no component hybrid.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Nester

I don't care if I have to get them separately as long as they're available in stores at launch this time, or I can order them a week in advance online if they only sell them online.

I'm not going to buy my Wii and hook it up with Composite cables for a week while I wait for my Component cables to ship.

SpeedRazor said:
I'm not going to buy my Wii and hook it up with Composite cables for a week while I wait for my Component cables to ship.

Right on...totally agree. At least make them available in stores so I don't have visit their online store and purchase the damn thing that way as I did with the GCN component cable.

SantaC

Chris Remo is correct

Matt-IGN said:
Topic: Wii Includes Composite Cable

Not component. NOA just confirmed to me. "One standard composite cable," I was told. You'll have to buy the component cable extra.

Matt

TheDuce22

Banned
No component cable either? Its just getting ridiculous now. Do all the games even support progressive scan? That would be the last straw if they didnt.

:lol Regular composite? WTF NINTENDO

Wow. I may actually opt to get a good cable first and then get the Wii. I want to experience the Wii with a crisp picture straight away. WTF NINTENDO!!!!

By the way I don't have an EDTV, all I need is an RGB cable which are likely to be cheaper than component. Sucks for you EDTV/HDTV guys. Oh well.

Oh yeah, plus no online gameplay at launch, no dvd playback, no 480p requirement.

And I want USB external hard drive compatability right out of the gate. Enough bullshit already!

I can deal with the price, but who the hell is making these decisions?!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So let's see for their "affordable" system:

1x Wii Console $250
1x Component cable $30 (I hope at the most)
1x Game $50
1x WiiMote/nunchuck $60
----------
$390.00 + 7% tax

=
$417.30

I was totally ready to buy one too. :(

Neo Child

Banned
Fourth Storm said:
Oh yeah, plus no online gameplay at launch, no dvd playback, no 480p requirement.

Pokemon Battle Revolution is at the Japanese launch day and that is online, not sure what other 1st party online games at launch there are. I'm sure down the line, the Wii will get better.

I dont understand this too much, people compliment the DS graphics alot when the PSP is a mile ahead, and look where that turned out.

TheDuce22

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:

1x Wii Console $250
1x Game $50
1x WiiMote/nunchuck $60
----------
$390.00 + 7% tax

=
$417.30

At least it still has built in Wifi right?

oh FFS, there had better be cables out that aren't $60 or I might just wait on a Wii purchase until it hits $150. PS3's standard HDMI output is looking really nice right now (monoprice FTW).

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Fourth Storm said:

Don't forget that you have to purchase the browser too. At least they're not charging us for online...

Yeah.

Damn this is adding up fast. I'm assuming the component cable will be $40-50. I'm still okay--early adopters should know they're getting ripped off--but if they only sell these on nintendo.com again, I'm going to strangle someone with my extra GCN component cable.

You hear that, Nintendo? Imagine the headlines! Very bad for business!

SantaC

Matt-IGN said:
No, GCN won't be compatible because the Wii uses a single audio/video out and the GCN component cables only do video.

I asked if component would be availalbe at launch and got a no comment. Er, specifically, I got a "we haven't announced that yet." But yes, I'd imagine they will be since nearly all the games runin pro-scan and widescreen.

Matt

More bad news. The thought of Nintendo not having component cables at launch would be insane. My 42" plasma would look like a blurry mess without component.

SuperPac

All this talk about Nintendo making people grab their ankles, etc. is going to be made all the sweeter when Sony announces what is/isn't coming in the box with the two PS3 SKUs and how much accessories are. I am going to laugh and laugh and laugh...and laugh some more. It will be high comedy.

Leondexter said:
Damn this is adding up fast. I'm assuming the component cable will be $40-50. I'm still okay--early adopters should know they're getting ripped off--but if they only sell these on nintendo.com again, I'm going to strangle someone with my extra GCN component cable.

You hear that, Nintendo? Imagine the headlines! Very bad for business!

I will join you in strangling them. If Nintendo doesn't offer first-party component cables in the US at retail this time, I will be pissed. I ain't buying no third-party ****.

Cheerilee

TelemachusD said:
Would it have killed Nintendo to put out a detailed press release descibing what comes with the system at their Megaton events?
That'd come too close to announcing actual specs. We can't have that.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
alr1ghtstart said:

1x Wii Console $250
1x Game $50
1x WiiMote/nunchuck $60
----------
$390.00 + 7% tax

=
$417.30

thats still more affordable than the alternatives..

Mrbob

SuperPac said:
All this talk about Nintendo making people grab their ankles, etc. is going to be made all the sweeter when Sony announces what is/isn't coming in the box with the two PS3 SKUs and how much accessories are. I am going to laugh and laugh and laugh...and laugh some more. It will be high comedy.

Keep laughing. Doesn't change the fact the Wii has become the polar opposite of what Nintendo wanted to accomplish.

Odysseus

Banned
cubicle47b said:
oh FFS, there had better be cables out that aren't $60 or I might just wait on a Wii purchase until it hits $150. PS3's standard HDMI output is looking really nice right now (monoprice FTW).

Has Sony even confirmed what's in their box?

Nester

Tempy said:
Don't forget that you have to purchase the browser too. At least they're not charging us for online...

Yeah.

Yeah, you just HAVE to buy the browser or you're screwed for playing games!

Also, isn't it free to download until 2007 sometime?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
What a cluster**** of missing information. These Wii events were supposed to clear up these types of things.

skip

SuperPac said:

people need to stop focusing their anger about the price of gaming on just one company, regardless of who it is, and start getting angrier with the industry at large.

they're ALL out to screw us with accessories and microtransactions. every last one of 'em.

Odysseus

Banned
skip said:
people need to stop focusing their anger about the price of gaming on just one company, regardless of who it is, and start getting angrier with the industry at large.

they're ALL out to screw us with accessories and microtransactions. every last one of 'em.

qft

Top Bottom