• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh wow - the Amiga is 25! AMIGA APPRECIATION THREAD

http://www.amiga25.com/

All summer long! What an amazing computer this was, I got my Amiga 500 in late 1987 I think, I saved up all my paper route money and resisted the urge to buy an Atari ST, which was already available, similarly powered, played a lot of the same games and a little cheaper. Best decision I ever made to hold out for the Amiga!

Any other old-school Amigaphiles here?

Are the classic "walking cat" and "ray-traced dude juggling spheres" demos available anywhere online? I'm feeling nostalgic now.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Amiga brotherhood assemble!!!!!:lol

such good times back then... well besides the whole floppy changing thing. That was in hindsight pretty weird that I had THE patience for that. These days I get annoyed when loadscreens are longer then 30 secs.

Gowans

Christ I'm old!!

Had a 500 then 1200 then the HD add on then a CD32 clung on far too long through Gloom till finally went to PC :( sniff

Ahh workbench & Delux paint & so so many games.

RamzaIsCool said:
such good times back then... well besides the whole floppy changing thing. That was in hindsight pretty weird that I had THE patience for that. These days I get annoyed when loadscreens are longer then 30 secs.

Yeah. Didn't Monkey Island 2 have like, 11 disks or something?

Gowans

Gary Whitta said:
Are the classic "walking cat" and "ray-traced dude juggling spheres" demos available anywhere online? I'm feeling nostalgic now.
You forgot the frog & rabbit animations too.

Man I loved that thing through school, but man oh man piracy was HUGE!

Infact i think i have a whole bunch of boxed Amiga games lingering around, stuff like Worms, Desert Strike and Theme Park. If only we didnt chuck out the Amiga 500 :(

Gowans

Psychotext said:
The machine which defined my early gaming years, and still some of the most memorable games I've ever played.

/salutes
Same, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now.

Such a tinkered machine, even tarted about in 3D on it with lightwave.

There's a reason I always rocked this avatar.

Gowans

Ogs said:
Infact i think i have a whole bunch of boxed Amiga games lingering around, stuff like Worms, Desert Strike and Theme Park. If only we didnt chuck out the Amiga 500 :(
I'm sure in my dads loft there are shit loads of Amiga and Spectrum mags stacked. One day I'll have to adventure up there.

protonion

I had the Amiga 500+
Amiga, SNES and PSone are my top platforms in the 20 years I've been gaming. So many memories!
Shadow of the Beast, Sensible World of Soccer, Arabian Nights, Arcade Pool, Cannon Fodder, Monkey Island, BONK, Zool, UGH!, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 ...I'm gonna cry :(

As for the floppy changing... Beneath A Steel Sky was 16 disks and sometimes you had to change 3 of them to load the next screen!

100 Amiga games in 10 minutes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoJBerFDsA

A great platform for games. There are so many of those games that are still worth playing today.

I want to have modern games in the same style as Police Quest 1, Moonstone, Utopia/K240, Mega Lo Mania, Cannon Fodder, Hunter, etc.

Some of the favourites that stand out:

Populous
Shadow of the Beast 1,2,3
The Chaos Engine
Obitus
Eye of the Beholder series
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Alien Breed series
F/A-18 Interceptor
Lemmings
Wing Commander

I'm sure there's way more I'm forgetting...

We must not forget Wings - a true classic. I would pay a lot to get a modern remake of that game. The diary, the high score list among the pilots and the way the game let you continue with a new pilot after one had died was great fun. I still haven´t seen any worthy successor to it.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
That reminds me!! Sony should reboot Shadow of the Beast!!!! I know they have the license. Just let Santa Monica make it, they are a perfect match for it.

Besides the SotB trilogy, i loved games like Deliverence, Canon Fodder, Jimpower, Jaguar XIsomething, Superfrog, Elfsomething (beat em up), Last Samurai, Budokan, Another World. And many more.

nocode

I remember looking at screen shots of Amiga games in magazines and not understanding how it could be so much better looking than my C64 :lol

You're all snobs I tells ya!!

Eccocid

RamzaIsCool said:
That reminds me!! Sony should reboot Shadow of the Beast!!!! I know they have the license. Just let Santa Monica make it, they are a perfect match for it.

Besides the SotB trilogy, i loved games like Deliverence, Canon Fodder, Jimpower, Jaguar XIsomething, Superfrog, Elfsomething (beat em up), Last Samurai, Budokan, Another World. And many more.

Oh i remember the days when everyone was talking about Another World at school. People were talking about it as if it is a movie!

Reboot of SoTB would be really cool! but in 2d pls! I dont think they can make that twisted artwork of first game with 3d..oh and the music...bestestest!

Gorgon

This was the Golden Age of Gaming. Never has gaming seen such a productive era of amazing, original titles. Silmarils, Bitmap Brothers, Bullfrog, Cinemaware...

Jesus, those were the days.

Mantrid

Banned
ah, buzzin the golden gate bridge in F/18 Interceptor was class!

love the Amiga, it's the son of the father that gave birth to Custom chips for gaming/gfx/audio.

Ahead of it's time, but emulate now to avoid nostalgia burn! (super scaling helps :p!)

Mantrid

Banned
me and my mates used to crack games for Digital Magic Software in the UK, they would give us tea and cakes and the game and we'd bring it back cracked the next day.... always :D

In the end, they realised that no game could not be cracked and gave up.

They were a great bunch though.

protonion said:
I had the Amiga 500+
Amiga, SNES and PSone are my top platforms in the 20 years I've been gaming. So many memories!
Shadow of the Beast, Sensible World of Soccer, Arabian Nights, Arcade Pool, Cannon Fodder, Monkey Island, BONK, Zool, UGH!, Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 ...I'm gonna cry :(

As for the floppy changing... Beneath A Steel Sky was 16 disks and sometimes you had to change 3 of them to load the next screen!

I think the Amiga is a fascinating machine, would like to try it once. One thing I was wondering about while watching that video. The graphics take a huge jump and quite impressive. Did the machine have hardware improvements or add ons that you bought or was all those games made on the same hardware for that long?

Fularu

Banned
storafötter said:
I think the Amiga is a fascinating machine, would like to try it once. One thing I was wondering about while watching that video. The graphics take a huge jump and quite impressive. Did the machine have hardware improvements or add ons that you bought or was all those games made on the same hardware for that long?

Same hardware. People just got better at exploiting the machine, thanks mostly to the demo scene.

My current amiga collection

Everything is fully working and hooked up!

Amiga 1200 :

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Amiga 500 :

DSC_0022.jpg

Amiga 1000 and 2000HD :

DSC_0001_up.jpg

<3

Raide

Ahhh memories. I remember getting my dad to buy an Amiga 500 just on the awesome look of the Captain Planet game.

Spent hours playing with Delux Paint and playing games like Zool, Super Frog and Skidmarks. Also having to upgrade to a 1200 just to get Banshee working. :lol

Mantrid said:
ah, buzzin the golden gate bridge in F/18 Interceptor was class!
I used to get the greatest sense of satisfaction every time I successfully landed on the carrier deck, and that mission where you had to chase and shoot down the rogue missile was THE SHIT.

ghibli99

I remember The Killing Game Show playing at a local B. Dalton software store back in the day. I sat there and watched the opening movie countless times and was extremely jealous of it since all I had at the time at home was an Apple //e and an SMS. This was on a whole other level, feeling generations ahead of anything I was playing at home.

State of the Art was the first demo I'd ever been exposed to at my friend's house in college. It pretty much changed my life.

I later bought an Amiga 500 and a GVP genlock to subtitle anime (I did On Your Mark, My Neighbor Totoro and the Chinese takeout episode of Patlabor, and then called it quits since it was so time-consuming to do by myself!).

Great computers.

Edit: Oh, and the first time I saw my friend's /X setup with a giant stack of USR Dual Standards, I was floored. Multitasking at the time was but a buggy, slow prospect w/ PCs at the time. Man, what we take for granted these days.

All the credit in the world goes to Agony and...

Lion Heart

lionheartlavastage15cx.png

I really enjoyed playing my brothers Amiga 500 when I was a young lad. Many long nights with Dragon's Lair, Body Blows, Monkey Island, The Killing Game Show...

Bert

Loved my 500+, I was never allowed a console just a "real computer" and it gave me my love of gaming. Remember some weird domino based quavers tie in game, the comic relief sleepwalker game, bitmap brothers, sensible software, amazing adventure games, and hours spent making animations in Deluxe Paint. Breaking numerous Bug joysticks with wagglomania.

I remember thinking the CD-32 would conquer all, staying home to play diggers and microcosm for hours.

I would kill for a modern games system with games that diverse and high quality. Oh those were the days before First Person Shooters killed gaming innovation. :(

Piracy was pretty huge though. We probably got 99% of our games at English car boot sales and markets from people selling copies at £1 a disk.

Pretty shameful thinking back on it.

I know my dad gave the Amiga (500 I think) to our relatives years ago as they didn't have a computer (damnit, now I want the damn thing back, I bet they sold it, remebering my awesome cousin handed it down to us makes it even worse :( Stupid Nostaliga)

One of my fondest memories was winning the Turtles game from a competition in the paper and being awarded it by Don-a-fucking-tello himself :D

I remember never being able to finish the Turtles game as we couldn't get into the turtle van for some reason, hazy memory that we didn't have the numpad, but I swear we had a 500.

I also won Street Fighter 2 in another competiton, but they were so slow sending it they sent me a free copy of Fate of Atlantis as well - god bless you US Gold.

Some classics off the top of my head right now:

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIn1fYBmJsg&fmt=22&feature=related

Stunt Car Racer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wey5s5ceMxE&fmt=22&feature=related

Not a game, but damn this used to be amazing to me:

Deluxe Paint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluxe_Paint

Afrikan

protonion said:
I had the Amiga 500+

that Hunter game looked sick!...and all those 3d driving games looked like they inspired Race Driver and Race Driven...

I was only 6 years old in late 1987.....I didn't hear too much about Amiga originally.....all I remember at the time, was that our day care had a Sega Master System.

Top Bottom