• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okamiden: Okami SEQUEL to the system that won the system war!

The screen transition is too slow and I don't like how the sound cuts out. They can keep the screen transition, but they should speed it up and fix the sound cutout. That being said, the game looks still looks great, if a bit uninspired.

They haven't really showed off any gameplay elements that weren't done in the original game so far (Except for the dual character mechanic and the smaller enemies on the map that have no seperate battle screen transition) I hope we see some new gameplay elements that really take advantage of the touch screen and the dual screen setup!

Edit: The battle screen switch transition is much better, why is it so much slower outside of battle? (Is the loading of the separate sound file slowing it down perhaps?)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Damn, it really looks and animates much better than I'd expect a DS game to.
Happy to hear it confirmed for Western release, even if the wait is going to be substantial.

Zoc

They released a demo for the game this week here in Japan. I downloaded it outside a McDonald's.

Most of my impressions of it matched what I would have expected from the trailers. The only things I could add would be that the music is is just a downsampled version of the music from the original. They haven't added to it or changed it at all, at least in the demo.

Also, it doesn't seem like you can rotate the camera at all anymore, even during battles, even when you have the Celestial Brush out. It makes using the brush on enemies a lot harder, because you have to have them lined up correctly before you take the brush out.

What I most enjoyed about the PS2 version was the music and the art, and this new game doesn't seem to be adding much to either. It seems like it's aimed more at people who really liked the story and characters from the original. I thought they were mostly pretty annoying myself, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy this.

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

With a frailer but cuter character, Capcom managed to not disappoint. Of course, Okami Den is clearly not as epic as his elder who enjoyed the surprise effect and an incomparable freshness. But without chickening out to such inheritance, our Mabrouk Junior throws its small memorable moments, alternating joy and pain like a real confucius asian fairy tale. And then, by forcing on the kawaii heartstrings, the animal eventually find its own groove.

+ so cute you wanna cry
+ a pretty intense story
+ full of humor
+ honorable lifespan
+ incredible graphics in its category
+ a good alternative to Zelda

- less epic than before
- less rich too
- gibberish dialogues, ouch !
- battles a bit redundant
- the pen, sometimes yes, sometimes no

7/10 (editor's pick)

So I bought Okamiden and am about three hours into it. It really does retain a lot of the old Okami magic. No *major* new locations so far. I just did the first boss dungeon in
Shinsu field
and messed around for a while, collecting praise.

I don't understand what the NPCs tell me, so I have to figure out how to do sidequests and the like
how I can't figure out how to get the fireworks guy to teach me the bomb technique
. Right now, I'm helping out an NPC I'm calling
Gourd Girl
just off
Shinsu field
and trying to search for
scroll No. 4 of the 8 that the guy near the gate to Orochi's Cave seems to want.

So far, the gameplay is very much Okami minus some of the worst excesses of OCD collectathons (like digging up the clovers and I haven't had to feed any animals yet) and plus some of the partner controlling stuff you saw in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. The game knows its pedigree, that's for sure.

Oh, and the music is gorgeous. The
Shinsu field
music and the sound effects make me nostalgic for a game I only played three or four years ago.

EDIT: I'm a big fan of the gibberish dialogue.

Diortem7

Hey I heard about a month ago that Fry’s, Target, Toys R Us and Wal-Mart would have the US version of the Okamiden demo available for download. I tried to search the web to see if anyone has been able to download it yet, but I couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if the demo is available yet?

Amalthea

Banned
Diortem7 said:
Hey I heard about a month ago that Fry’s, Target, Toys R Us and Wal-Mart would have the US version of the Okamiden demo available for download. I tried to search the web to see if anyone has been able to download it yet, but I couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know if the demo is available yet?

I believe some sites were reporting around Christmas and New Year that it was on the DS demo section of the Nintendo Channel in NA.

It could be pulled down already.

Tyrant_Onion said:
I believe some sites were reporting around Christmas and New Year that it was on the DS demo section of the Nintendo Channel in NA.

It could be pulled down already.

I think you might be thinking of Ghost Trick. AFAIK, there has been no Okamiden demo released on the Nintendo Channel.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Does it have the proper Shinshuu Fields music? Probably my favourite game track from the last few years.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just realized this is a little less than two weeks away. Has anybody been working on an OT for this? I wouldn't mind putting a little something together if nobody else has called it.

Bizzyb

Banned
ZealousD said:
Just realized this is a little less than two weeks away. Has anybody been working on an OT for this? I wouldn't mind putting a little something together if nobody else has called it.

People are too caught up in 3DS hype I'm guessing. I say go for it

Busaiku

ZealousD said:
Personally, I'm gonna wait to play it with the slide pad.

ZealousD

Bizzyb said:
People are too caught up in 3DS hype I'm guessing. I say go for it

Alright, I'll have a little something whipped up in a few days.

Volcynika

ZealousD said:
Alright, I'll have a little something whipped up in a few days.

Cool. I'm hyped! Kinda. I ordered from the Capcom store for the keychain thing, so I'll have my game......sometime in the next couple of months, knowing them.

ZealousD

Volcynika said:
Cool. I'm hyped! Kinda. I ordered from the Capcom store for the keychain thing, so I'll have my game......sometime in the next couple of months, knowing them.

Me too. Even hearing the horror stories, I couldn't resist the keychain. It was just too cute. D=

Volcynika

jvalioli said:
I hope this game is good. I really really loved the original Okami.

There might still be a demo on the Nintendo Channel if you have a Wii (for you if you haven't played it and anyone else that might want to).

jvalioli

Volcynika said:
There might still be a demo on the Nintendo Channel if you have a Wii (for you if you haven't played it and anyone else that might want to).
Unfortunately I don't have my Wii on me. Have this game preordered so I'm optimistic at least!

RedSwirl

Damn I didn't realize this had already shipped. I'm deciding whether I should spend my time on this or Radiant Historia along with Yakuza 4.

The first game was one of my favorite in a long-ass time because of how well it nailed the Zelda-style exploration elemetn. There was always a secret of significance right around the corner, and every new ability you got opened up even MORE stuff all across the world. Can anyone tell me of Okamiden is the same?

When you think about it this has the potential to be the best DS Zelda game.

Top Bottom